Ofgem

Ofgem Employee Reviews

United Kingdom14 reviews
Slow moving, out-dated processes. People are put into roles they are not competent in and the company does nothing to act on or change this. Little accountability is shown for ressults
Even though I proved through 2 grievances I was bullied, harassed and discriminated with proof. Emails, Skype conversations and robust evidence. The supported the offender as I am not British. This is most racist company I have ever seen. The HR let it happen freely. They breached Equality act 2010 and ACAS guidelines. Image a manager raising his hand and tell you to go home. Attack you while you are sick. Plus many other things proved with emails and skype conversations and the company allow it and you even get dismissed. Go away from this place. I got an illness because of it
Pros
nothing
Cons
Discrimination, bullying and harrassment
Work in the Glasgow Office for Ofgem.

Great environment and it's a professional yet fun place to be. The Senior Management is interested in their staff and is visible all the time for "surgery" to get your thoughts.
Pros
Great place and friendly staff
Cons
No air con in the office - Can get stuffy
Lead with nepotism from senior management, internal recruitment structure is manipulated to facilitate said nepotism.
Freely spending public purse with complete disregard.

Amazed I managed to stay for the length of time I did.
Pros
Public sector approach to flexi time
Cons
Too many!
Pros
Very good atmosphere, chilled and laid back. Flexi time and able to work from home. Good Benefits. Management is very friendly but they keep their distance.

Cons

Job is slow pace. Regulations and decision making are made by lawyers and other people with no energy generation background at all. How are you going to regulate a sector that you don't know?
During my time at Ofgem, i was shown how the finance department as a whole operates. It is clear that they are very efficient and productive as the job roles are broken down to different individual people so people can specialise and different roles. The chemistry amomgst the team was also very good so during my time working there, no break down is communication was observed from me.
Set up a new database with the providers.

Reconciled physical assets with paperwork - a very lengthy task.

Relationships with directors established.

Audit national offices.

Developed asset management for new assets IT-ware, vehicles, property, art, laboratory equipment.

Established cost thresholds, depreciation practices (in accordance with government rules) and disposal policy and practice.
Pros
Very independent.
Cons
None really, enjoyed it all. Sometimes the paper trail was arduous but that was part of the job.
I currently work at Ofgem in the Tech Team.
My typical day to day duties include a number of project work involving hardware builds, software packages/updates through SCCM. Managing the telephony system (MITEL)

I have learned a number of things whilst at Ofgem and I am really thankful for that. I have been able to go on a number of courses that have helped me complete my day to day duties.

The people at Ofgem are really nice to work with and the managers are easy to approach.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with security issues that arise with the PSN network.

Most enjoyable is being involved in the projects that we have.
Pros
Gym on site
Cons
Working in Westminster
Incredible Company. fantastic environment. Equipment. well kept office. Nice staff. Great working hours. nice ambience. all round incredible office.
Pros
Great Cafe Resaurant.
Cons
No Air con.
I learned more about finance and budgets.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a great team that delivered.
Working at Ofgem was a fun place to work, although Ofgem was not challenging enough, and my role as a Renewable Obligation Officer did not push me or challenge me enough. The hardest part of the role including assessing the application for the ROC register, as for this you had to be extremely meticulous.
• Risk budget and, variance analysis, monthly and quarterly reporting.
• Budget Analysis and reporting, RPI-5 analysis and forecasts for budgets over 5 years.

• Financial modelling and Corporate plan analysis.

• Management Information analysis and reporting on energy suppliers.

• Market, Corporate affairs Networks Operations and Executive budget analysis and reporting.
Pros
nice location
Cons
low pay
great place to work, diverse working environment and in depth training
Fast faced working environment. With strong and close links to both Government policy and media focus. Need to be on the ball and respond promptly to change. Friendly yet dynamic workforce.