Office for National Statistics

Office for National Statistics Employee Reviews

United Kingdom80 reviews
Flexible working hours for most positions but can be frustrating. Working from home depends on the efficiency of technology and good communication which can cause issues
Great company to work with and interesting work. Good salary and benefits. Very supportive and approachable. Would definitely work for them again if the opportunity arose.
I have worked at the ONS in Newport for just over a year now, and can say it is a fantastic place to work. The team I am in has been fantastic and welcoming, and across the business everyone I have spoken to has been really friendly and open to ideas.
My role involves a lot of talking to outside candidates about working at ONS, so its fantastic to actually be able to say I love my job and the people I work with, and for it to be genuine.

The current Covid19 situation is really proving just how agile and collaborative the company can be, and how supportive they are to everyones unique circumstances.
Typical day at work involves attending meetings, and working with excel to analyse data. Occasional presenting your work to small groups.
Management is poor in my experience. I did not feel supporting or guided in how to improve and deliver.
people were friendly and very helpful, the work was busy but managable.
IT Problems were sorted out fairly quickly and the Teamwork was amazing.

It was a great experience.
Great work life balance and many development opportunities. Nice offices and free parking with great onsite facilities such as Gym and staff restaurant
The job was enhanced by having a really great Area Manager and her deputy. They were always helpful and friendly. I had great colleagues working as co-ordinatitors. I was also lucky to have a good team of officers working with me
Senior Management in need of listening better to subordinates.
Middle Management very good at supporting staff and making up for poor Senior Management.

I had quite a bit of autonomy on many tasks and enjoyed this.
The job description states that this is a flexible job to fit around your life and that you need business car insurance. That's why I applied; to fit it around my other freelance commitments and some down time too and drive everywhere to complete the fieldwork surveys. My plan was to do door knocking/surveys in the morning, then fit in some freelancing and then resume door knocking/surveys in the afternoon and do more freelancing or do freelancing reports in my car and then do more door knocking/surveys in the evening - over two-three days (mean average for contracted hours) and then go home and have the rest of the week doing my own thing, downtime, some admin' for work I do both freelance and ONS. Combined, with freelancing, I would make enough to live on and have all of my ONS expenses paid in full - even time spent at home and travelling too - to prevent a huge credit card payment, which I do get with freelancing alone.

Unfortunately, I was living in cloud cuckoo land.

In reality, this was very unlikely to happen. The job is permanent - in my case up to the annualised advertised contracted hours of 1114 per annum (mean average 2.5 days per week over 12 months with holiday and sick pay entitlements taken out too) but there is a hidden bolt on element to the annualised hours contract too: this works rather like a zero hours contract whereby ONS also expected fieldworkers to take on more work in any week when necessary and at any time of the week over six days from 7-9pm and at normal pay rates of pay (overtime for Sunday, which was rare). Basically, the ONS would own
 - more...
The organisational culture of the ONS promotes collaboration by maintaining a friendly working atmospehre. Benefits such as flex-time allow employees to maintain a healthy and flexible work-life balance.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Office for National Statistics?
Mostly outdoor responsibilities, loads of driving, lots of client facing, and some work from home and restricted amount of hours. Very flexible and allows employees enough time to engage in private non work related issues. Good place to work if you're looking to work part time.
I really enjoyed working for The Office For National Statistics, the job cae with many benefits such as paid leave and flexi time. The job role was very challenging but once you knew what to do it became very enjoyable. The staff moral was always at a high which made work life much better.
I thoroughly enjoyed the challenges of this post and wished it could have been extended in time. The daily schedule was clear and I appreciated the flexibility of the workload.
Great experience working on this project, as I have worked for ONS in 2011 census. Overall the experience was interesting as I was able to use the knowledge and insights from the previous activities and transferred some useful skills. However, the digitalized systems slowed down some activities especially as the public wasn't aware of the exercise. In many cases the workload kept repeating the same action to be taken, in would have helped if the visits were filtered in the system to different visiting hours to ascertain results outcomes.
Field interviewer Worse job I’ve ever had. A lot of wasted time no one in or prepared to do surveys. Expected to do late evenings & weekends to try get people in by door knocking. I refused to do this as a lot of areas weren’t safe. It is definitely not what the job description says. Put a lot of unnecessary miles and wear & tear on my car. I didn’t like working from home either thought I would
I lasted less then six months as so awful. I’d done 26 years With my previous civil service job.
The work at the ONS is interesting but most importantly for myself it is an inclusive, comfortable and stable environment. The work/life balance is great and it's a great place to work with flexible working hours meaning you can take control of your own time.
every day in the field is different,
every door is different and every family are unique,

this makes the job very interesting we are based at home and work in the field but have the upmost support from up-lines and management.
Pros
meals reimburse for working over 5 hours in 1 working day, petrol allowance.
The company doesn't exist any more, so I can't tell you much more about it. The census only happens once every 10 years, so it any review is unlikely to be required.
Overall there were always opportunities to get involved in other projects, training and other experiences alongside daily work.

I was able to take build my knowledge through courses in a range of different areas such as economics, statistics and coding.

There is a strong organisational culture that promotes wellbeing and personal development.
Pros
Flexible working hours
I really enjoyed my placement but was a bit frustrated with the lack of interesting tasks that I was asked to do. Flexible working hours and good opportunities to learn data software such as STATA R Python etc.
Pros
Flexible working hours and good opportunities to learn data software
Cons
Interns have to do a lot of the more boring work
Obsessed with diversity over mental health
When i resigned due to anxiety not one member of my management chain tried to talk me out of leaving or even bothered to call me on the phone

These reviews are ultimately subjective and some departments will be better than others
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office for National Statistics. Our community is ready to answer.
Office for National Statistics Reviews by Location