Odeon Employee Reviews

No support
Costa (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 September 2018
Costa is treated as an afterthought and receive little to no support from the cinema, and any support given is made a big deal about which leads the Costa team to feel like a hindrance and certainly not part of the overall building team.
Pros
Free cinema tickets
Cons
Mistreated and overworked
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Dunfermline, Fife12 September 2018
Odeon has a great vision on customer service. We have vision and values that we (the staff) follow on a daily basis which creates a great atmosphere in the building. Odeon management ensure that the needs of the staff are met, as well as our guests.
Pros
Free films, discount on food, great staff environment - including various incentives.
Cons
The staff rota comes out weekly, therefore it is hard to plan social events in advance unless requested off.
Fun job but no respect for regular team members
Cinema Host (Former Employee) –  Tamworth, Staffordshire8 August 2018
Odeon was always a fun environment to work in with amazing benefits. Hours were usually good, even if low allocated hours, they were easy to pick up through shift cover. Staff were always kind and lovely to work with until taken over by new management. Since then, staff have been poorly treated and the rate of people leaving is going up. Friends who also worked there who were on leave for university had their employment terminated and were not welcomed back as they had been for the previous couple of years. Current staff members regularly express their need to find a new job as everyone is miserable and not respected or supported by management who spend most of their time in the office. Have also overheard guests discussing the decline of standards delivered by staff. Overall a decent job and above minimum wage, but not worth the amount of stress put on staff who aren't supported by the rest of the team.
Pros
Discount, free tickets, fun environment
Cons
Overly stressful, no support from management
Great company
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Derby26 July 2018
Good company to work for, flexible hours and the best working environment I have ever been in. Would be better if more hours were available more often but you can’t help the school holidays or good weather that take people outside.
Pros
Free films/ 40% off food and drink/ makes lots of friends
Cons
Not consistent with large numbers of hours/ finishing late nights sometimes 3am
Great fun to work there
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  COSTA, UK24 July 2018
A very enjoyable work environment! Staff are super friendly, customers are well taken care of and you get to watch unlimited movies for free! (However you may gain weight from all of the cheap nachos)
Pros
40% discount at cinema and costa, unlimited free cinema tickets countrywide
Cons
low wage
Fun and upbeat environment
Cinema Host (Former Employee) –  Tamworth11 May 2018
Friendly management and coworkers, always keep the job exciting. Range of skills put into practice such as interaction with guests, money handling, till operating and basic understandings of food storage and temperatures.
With popular film releases such as Star Wars or Marvel films, the cinema does become extremely busy. However, the management are always available to back up their staff when needed, and everyone works extremely well as a team to power through some of the busiest releases.
Overall, ODEON is an enjoyable place to work, and extremely suitable for those still in full time or part time education.
Pros
Friendly environment, flexible hours, staff discount
It's ok
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Hastings5 April 2018
Lots of cleaning in all areas
Dealing with the public and all sorts of guests
Handling money and adhering to company rules and guidelines in terms of health and safety.
challenging but Fun
Manager (Former Employee) –  Odeon Cinema - Tottenham Court Road13 March 2018
As a member of the ODEON family, I learned there are many areas to work in. Being the first to contact with our guests, and to be friendly, energetic and also committed to making our guests feel welcome and important.
Great team!
Team Member - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon6 March 2018
I worked at the Exeter Odeon about a year ago, honestly one of my favourite jobs!
I loved the team i worked with but the down sides were - the looooong shifts, strange hours like 5pm-1am & the fact that it's minimum wage :(
if they paid better i would have stayed there!
But also the GM was a pain.
But the job was fun, sometimes tedious especially when you're on the 'floor' cleaning.
But the team was great
Pros
big staff discount on snacks, free tickets!!!
Cons
long hours, late finishes
Fun place to work
Cinema Host (Former Employee) –  England4 March 2018
Was a fun place to work. Variety of things to do , ushering was always my favourite (cleaning screens, ripping tickets) but retail was okay as well (selling food and tickets). My Odeon team were absolutely fantastic, teamwork at Odeon is amazing. Hardest part of the job was probably the constant complaints about food and ticket prices, but those are out of your control so you learn to deal with these appropriately. Best part of the job was the team. No-one really likes cleaning up spilled popcorn and drinks and ice cream for 8 hours, but the people you're with make it worth it. Personally found that management was hit and miss, our general manager was a great person but some of the supervisors could be a bit snappy at you for the smallest reason. Generally though management is good, very approachable.
Pros
Team ethic, flexible hours to suit you, engaging with guests of all ages, staff perks are amazing, never short of things to do
Cons
Long hours, working until 2-3am especially when big movies launch (if you dont mind this though this isnt a con, just worth a note)
Hard work but fun
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear24 February 2018
Worked at Odeon for a good few years now and it can be a great place to work depending on how you approach the job. If your looking for a part time job with easy money think again. You are trained to work on retail, selling and preparing food and drinks or on ushering, checking tickets cleaning screens and other areas of the cinema. The work isn’t difficult, but it does take time to get the hang of the tills. The main part of the job is working with the general public who come in all shapes and sizes. This can be the best part of the job or the most difficult if your not good at communication or you don’t have a lot of patience. The staff team where I work are a great group of people who really make the job fun. The management are very good too, understanding, helpful and caring. They don’t sit in the office, they are on the floor serving on the stands or helping in screens as well as working hard in the office sorting out all the work which makes the cinema run.
Like many jobs it’s what your prepared to put into it. It can be rewarding and there chances of advancement. I won’t lie though it can be stressful, tiring and repetitive at times but as a part time job or your first job the Odeon at Silverlink is a great place to work.
Pros
Free films, reduction on food and flexible working hours.
Cons
Shifts vary a lot, can get very busy
Problems with the management
Cinema Crew (Current Employee) –  Manchester2 January 2018
The management do not communicate with their staff, usually hiding in the office watching youtube, rather than helping their staff.
Most shifts tend to be short, 5 or 6 hours, which includes the half an hour unpaid break
Pros
free movies
Cons
short shifts, minimum hour contracts, minimum wage
Brilliant company
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Brighton20 December 2017
Ever since I started training for the job as Cinema Host, I discovered what life is like behind the scenes of ODEON. The management and the staff understand my speed, how I work and my ways of getting things done.

Shifts vary each week, but the main two I've had was Ushering and Retail, both provide challenges of their own. Hardest part of my job has to be cleaning a screen on my own, especially if it was very busy in there.

However, the most enjoyable part of my job are the Guests. I see different types of Guests, coming and going. I do my best to tend to their needs and it's a joy when I see them in costume for a special film release - like the biggest film of the year that's showing right now.

Overall, the ODEON have welcomed me with open arms and from enjoying the film industry to actually working within it...couldn't find a better place if you tried.
Pros
Discount on Retail stock, recognition for your work, private film screenings
Cons
None!
Ok
Cinema host (Current Employee) –  London17 November 2017
Every day is different, sometimes its very busy and some days are very quiet.
I learned how to interact with customers,handle money, serve guest.

the people I work with are very fun to work with and can make the
day go al lot quicker.

the most enjoyable part would be watching to newest movies for free
Pros
Free movies
Pros
Free movies
Not enjoyable
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Epsom14 November 2017
It used to be very fun and enjoyable yet stressful through busy periods. Now it's all sales target oriented with 0 form of enjoyment.

There is a lack of appreciation shown from management.

Employment rotation is ridiculous and progression is lack lustre
Flexible timetable
Part-time working for ODEON (Former Employee) –  London10 November 2017
I had the opportunity to work as part-time and study for my Bachelor and Masters degree at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I could interact with many people with different backgrounds and assist them.
Costa
Barista/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire7 November 2017
Worked as a Barista and supervisor in costa, it was good for the most part but both roles were under appreciated for the amount of work. The management was good while a barista but as a supervisor it was very difficult, I believe this is why there is such a high staff turnover.
Pros
Free cinema
Excellent starter management job
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Tamworth, Staffordshire12 October 2017
excellent feedback and support and materials. Really helpful hours are what you'd expect. Great support. Really open friendly environment. Really great place to work.
Enjoyable work environment
Guest experience supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull7 August 2017
Good place to work, supportive managers. Good salary.
The team are friendly and work together well, they are all aware of the companies objectives and take pride in what they do.
Not worth it
Cinema Host (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands19 June 2017
What I learned was it was like being back at school yet the children were in their late 20s and early 30s.

It was enjoyable to begin with but after I was there for a couple of months, that all started to change. I got told that I was terrible at my job and people didn't want to work with me and I could have been pulled up for many things but I didn't. The workplace culture was not entirely the best to say the least.

Quite a bit of pack mentality even with the managers. I also got told that you cant trust anything that comes out of anyone's mouth there by someone who liked to belittle their staff for a personal gain.

By the end of it I just didn't want to go back to work. I had several breakdowns because I knew I had to go in every week and be told I wasn't good enough not by cinema hosts like me but by managers.

If you work at the Odeon you will need to be a mentally strong person even though you cant speak you're own mind.

Good luck to new staff in the future, because if you has anything of an experience like i did... you're going to need it.
Pros
discount on food and drink
Cons
rude staff and managers