Odeon

Odeon Employee Reviews

United Kingdom477 reviews
If you want a laid back job part time to support studies or another job this is ideal. When I worked here pay was national minimum wage and they hired all ages. It was an inclusive work place with some opportunities to train in different fields and work up although not for any extra pay. Job is very relaxed and great if you love film and talking to guests about upcoming releases . In my experience this wasn't a job leading to a career but it was a great part time job that supported me while I studied. Hours are flexible and you may be expected to work shifts between 9am to 1 am be sure to give availability when starting.
Great for a first job, low pay, but good discounts 40% off food area and odeon costa, free tickets and 11 guest passes every 1/4 of the year, management is fine, difficult to progress and never given a chance to prove yourself. Good if you don’t want to progress further into business.
Pros
Discounts, flexible shifts
Cons
Wages, progression
The roles vary day to day, you never know who is going to walk through the door for you to great. Love the place and the staff. Its a real team environment with team building nights and days out.
Hours can vary from week to week. Pay pretty much minimum wage. Unhappy working atmosphere.
Tasks normally involve sales at retail or cleaning screens.
Pros
Free Movies
Cons
Always standing, Poor Pay
Though the job was enjoyable and relatively easy, being fairly paid for the role. I have an exceptionally poor experience with the Senior Leadership Team and would not recommend anyone works there.
It's hard work, a lot more cleaning than I'd imagined, but a great atmosphere and there's a sense of really effective communication with management. And management are always hands-on, they don't disappear when there is work to do. :)
Absolutely adore working here! The work place is so chilled and fun. Everyone works as a team. You get to see free films and the whole atmosphere is so lovely and friendly.
I worked within a fantastic team, they were all incredibly supportive. I learnt very quickly all the information and that was down to the BM I worked under. You have time to get to know who you're working with as well as the usual customers. So work-life becomes very relaxed and enjoyable. The time that you have to close down is a bit tight and if you aren't careful you can finish a lot later than planned as it's a very hands-on job. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed working there and if it wasn't for things out of the world's control I still would be.
I worked for the company for 12 years. Sad to say the salary never really improved over that time. The company only really cares about itself and not really the staff who make it what it is (although they make out they care about employees).

Working hours are ridiculous, if you’re all about a social life outside of work then do not bother applying.
On a typical work day, it is quite relaxing and a fun time to work as a team with my other colleagues. The team and management is very friendly. Management t is always helpful.
at Odeon it was a great atmosphere and a great place to work and the staff was amazingly friendly, it was a fast pace place to work but nothing that nobody could handle too much.
Working at ODEON is really fun, a lot of friendly and happy co-workers, however it can be very busy and very stressful at peak times, however it is such a fun place to work.
Terrible place to work! They will use you for three months until your probation is up then get rid. If they don't like you or your face doesn't fit you'll be gone. Too much slagging off and backstabbing amongst team and managers (when their not doing the dirty with each other) Oh and they call 8 hours a week full-time??? Pfft, not worth the time or effort. Your just a number and convenient for 3 months.
A really fun place to work with great people and support from mangers and a great place to work for any flim buff. great staff benfits and fun compertions too
Pros
free movies
Cons
Higher ups were useless, GM was great but deputies and supervisors offered little to no help. Always pushed their feedback scheme even when it was not appropriate to do so
The transition to management has been challenging but I am handling it well, odeon are a great company to work for and the jobs very safe and easy going. Sometimes it can be quiet but it can get busy during peak times which is a good mix.
The job itself is... fine. Sell tickets, serve overpriced snacks, clean up screen rooms. It's not too hard, but you'll spend a lot of your time apologising to angry customers for problems with the tills, promotions and prices that are completely out of your control.

The real problem lies with management. Numerous people there complained about one particular co-worker who made deeply inappropriate comments to everyone and harassed most of the women. When I complained about him making transphobic comments in front of customers, my manager said he was "just joking", assured me that they "didn't care if people identified as dogs" (yikes!), and did nothing about it. Several of those who complained about this guy (myself included) found themselves mysteriously out of work. He still works there, and he's a close personal friend of the manager I complained to. You do the math(s).

Then there's the contracts: 8 hours a week. Odeon like to hire as many people as possible, give them no more than 2 shifts a week for a few months, and then fire who they don't like. It's a weird way to do it that means employees can't get consistent hours and breeds a petty and competitive work culture where managers and employees alike will gossip openly about each other.

Other management problems include that they cannot get their staff to show up for work much of the time. Therefore, staff are constantly bombarded with calls asking them to come in at no notice, or literally not being allowed to leave at the end of your shift in order to cover another. This is especially bad when you consider the
 - more...
A typical day can vary between slow and busy days. Busy days can be stressful but slow days can be more relaxing and enjoyable. Some customers can be difficult but part of the job is having to deal with complaints. The management are friendly but the hours are long and hard to get what you want.
Pros
40% off food and drink there and free movies
Cons
long hours and not flexible
Good for students but no real hour guarantee.
Pay is low considering the amount you do and in this day and age... But don't we all say that.

Management are okay, understanding and helpfull, I mean in general people are okay but not worth it if you're looking to secure full time employment.
At odeon, there are two types of shifts, retail and ushering. Retail is fairly self explanatory, you stand on the till. When ushering, you’d have to go around the cinema cleaning up, emptying bins, checking tickets and unblocking toilets, and these were by far the worse shifts as you could easily walk the equivalent of 6+ miles cleaning up popcorn. I have spoken to friends who work in other cinema chains, and apparently this isn’t normal, most cinemas split them into two different departments.

I received no training, for anything. It made life so stressful, and hosts would get mad at you for not knowing things you were never taught to do. You were not considered ‘new’ for anywhere near long enough, and were expected to pick everything up on your first shifts.

The company was very goal focused, there would be games going on over weekends to encourage hosts to sell more on retail, the games were really hard and unless you got a really busy shift you wouldn’t get anything, only the younger hosts ever bothered with them.

For how much work you had to put in the pay was no where near good enough; no one (hosts or managers) really cared about their jobs because no one was paid enough to. Management really suffered from this, none of the managers cared about the hosts and would get annoyed if they had to leave their desks for whatever reason, most of them felt really cold and distant whenever you spoke to them. A few were quite nice, however, and shifts were a lot easier with them.

A lot of the other hosts were just rude. They would gossip about other hosts and managers
 - more...
Completely unreliable people, they make you feel like you dont matter, make sure that some people only stay on busy times when new films come out, in general it is complete p00p