Ocado Employee Reviews

good place of work
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London21 August 2017
is keep you fit.good place of work avery day is not the same,meet new people and enjoy working with customers,and every day diferent route witch is nice
Ups and downs
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire8 August 2017
Ocado really isn't as bad a place to work as some of these reviews might make out. Currently work in despatch, arguably the most physically demanding area of the warehouse, so yes you will have to graft. The work is repetitive and monotonous but this is unskilled work in a warehouse so what do you expect. I agree the wages are a little low but the incentive scheme can be generous if you are prepared to put in the effort and some of the other none monetery benefits are very nice. Pay is every four weeks and is usually accurate. Long days with early start and no option of part-time it is full time job only.
Very nice staff canteen on site which is cheap as well as on site shop (also cheap).
Management are ok generally but are a few bad ones, it is true that advancement is unlikely despite what the company says but it can be done.
Overtime is always available but poorly paid and the amount of compulsory overtime is increasing as is the overall work load in a shift.
Shift patterns are quite flexible with the ability to swap shifts with others and yourself, request holiday and overtime. Holiday allowance is at the legal minimum after being cut in a recent pay review. Sickness policy is harsh with more than three absences per year resulting in the first step of the disciplinary procedure beginning.
Very high numbers of foreign workers (Romanians and Bulgarians mostly) so it can feel like us v them on occasion.
Job is very easy to land as staff turn over is high so you will practically walk into the job.
Pros
Cheap canteen, bonus scheme and benefits, people, plenty of hours available
Cons
Long shifts with increasing amount of compulsory overtime, pay is still too low but improving
CSTM - Delivery Driver
Customer Service Team Member (Current Employee) –  Peterborough7 August 2017
Overall a very good company to work for. Being a CSTM, or delivery driver, the job is in fact very easy. No unloading/loading vans, simply turn up, paperwork, out, deliver, home.

One big negative for myself is that there doesn't appear to be any room for progression or promotion. With being a young man, and having a very young child to think about now, this is quite a big let down.

I would encourage people to work here though. Great banter, Team Managers are all a great laugh and really understanding.
Pros
Cheap vending machines, different delivery areas every day
Cons
No room for progression
Poor (depending on circumstances)
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire4 August 2017
Pros of working for ocado
- Good pay
- Ability to move up in the company

Bad points
- Treated unfairly in my opinion
- Pay sometimes is messed up
- Unsociable working hours (up to 12 hours a day)
-Management cant actually "Manage" staff
- Worked like an absolute slave with a small incentive.
- Will use the slightest thing to get you out as was unfairly dismissed for something not even related to my work.
Pros
Sometimes good deals
Cons
Absolute joke of a company
Just don't bother
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire2 August 2017
Just an awful soul sucking company. Terrible hours, work most weekends, no support from management team. Get 1 complaint against you, they take the side of the customer every time and get rid of you. Lucky if you can start your shift on time due to your van not loaded on time. Vans are disgusting, very rarely cleaned inside, equipment issued to you is poor - sat navs are useless, always crash and take 5 mins to restart each time.No job security at all. Would rate 0 stars. If you must work here, invest in a large capacity dictophone to record your customer interactions. Only way to save your job if some lying cockwomble complains about you just for £10 voucher.
Pros
Cons
No job security. They constantly recruit and lose drivers
Total joke of a company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Byfleet24 July 2017
Wasted 6 years at this company, they treat you like a slave ( you are only a number). I think stevie wonder was the route organiser as most of the routes were a joke. never had a weekend off, unsociable hours with poor pay. management have no management skills at all (they probably couldn't organise a fry up in a chippy). I got a written warning for bringing my route back to base due to death of my sibling. Then they sacked me for taking time off work sick (I was in hospital - gave them hospital notes). avoid avoid avoid. Go work in mc donalds or sign on
Pros
home time
Cons
Too many to mention
The hardest part of the job
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Dordon, UK21 July 2017
Picking and packing in challenging temperatures as I was working in the Ambient & Chilled department. Primarily working in department where the products are kept between -5c to -10 degrees Celsius
Cons
10 hours
it is nice and cuddly at first but after the 12 week review.
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London19 July 2017
When you start it is nice and calm. don't get a lot of drops. After the 12 week review, you get the real experience. This company makes 1 bilion PROFIT A YEAR but can not afford to give you proper decent equipment to do your job. The management are the nicest I have ever had, really calm and friendly. Just show respect and you get respect back. The hardest part is taking heavy items like 2L bottles of fizzy drinks, packs of water, 10 kilos of rice, 5L of oil. These are not just one, you could get 10 or 20 of them to 4 floor no lift to a council house where the benefit people live or to central london companies. I personally don't find something enjoyable to think of apart from if you finish early you MAYBE allowed to go home early and get paid for it. But that hardly happens. Be prepared for usual monthly penalties, such as parking, restriction fines. They say they appeal but they don't try harder. This is a problem because you are following a sat nav system given by the company that does not follow restriction signs.
Pros
can go home early and wekly pay.
Cons
lots of fines to pay, lots of flats to deliver. if you are based near london.
Awful company to work for
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Birstall17 July 2017
Management are awful, don't care about you what so ever. In a nutshell the only good thing about working for ocado is the customers you deliver too...
Pros
Cons
everything
Worst job ever
Driver (Former Employee) –  Knowsley16 July 2017
Worst job ever ,bad work times allways in rush hour traffic ,no one gives a toss as long as you get the delivery done ,cameras in the vans watching u all the time overweight carrier bags ,make your back breaking work like walking on egg shells every time u go in ,and you've got to work evening shifts to clear a poxy £300.
Pros
Live around the corner
Cons
worth it if you have the patience of a saint and humor of a bi lingual donkey
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  dordan warwickshire14 July 2017
If you are Romanian you should find this job is like home from home, if however you are English like me and have the ability to withstand the months of torture of having about as much in work communication as fred west at a parents evening you'll fit in just fine joking of course, but this job is long tedious and highly repetitive the chances of advancement are limited and even if you do the responsibilities do not reflect the pay, the management is limited in its knowledge of how to treat people and requires constant behind kissing for any chance of job rotation, having said all this please don't be put off by the fact the site has a lot of Romanian nationals as once you get accepted by them, they're really quite sweet people who just have a hard time interacting with people from the typical national background, the pay is good but you will require a certain mind set.
Number not a name
personel shopper (Current Employee) –  Tamworth14 July 2017
Groundhog day work in a building designed for machines but not people with a HR department how only see numbers not names.Very physical where they pay lip service to safety but in reality dont care.
Pros
3 days off
Cons
uncaring upper managment
Very good experience. Good communication and support
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London12 July 2017
Work with Ocado Was a very good experience for me, help me to be a better professional, a better man and more responsible as well , they teache us to be very kind with our customer and try to solve any problem that could be happening, Ocado give to us freedom to act and give our best, sometimes we were compensated with customer feedback. Is true that some days was more difficult than the others and it was not always easy but the camaraderie and the atmosphere that existed exceeded the difficulties.
I really appreciate the fact that they never put pressure on us.
I left because I moved to Wolverhampton!
Pros
Some days better than others
Cons
Traffic and flats without lift
Well run if uninspiring
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire10 July 2017
Management are pleasant. Pay is slightly too little. Chances for promotion slim. Work is physical and extremely repetitive. Well organised and helpful admin staff and system. Cheerful colleagues
Pros
Reliable straightforward employment
Cons
Soul destroying repetitive tasks
Absolutely Disgusting
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Tamworth, Staffordshire8 July 2017
horrendous place, inhumane almost, everyone there looked depressed. and no english people in sight. the way people are worked here is awful and i dont see how anyone could do this job without developing depression after a week
Pros
good if youre polish...
Cons
pretty much everything just dont do it
Rubbish
Electronics Engineer (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire7 July 2017
In more than 25 years career I have never seen such rigid corporate structure. Level over level of management and people who do nothing more than being "manager" of something on paper. Efficiency close to zero. Good people and good team, but the overall feeling is you are an insignificant cog in a giant machine. Terrible. Didn't last a week there.
Dreadful
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  West Drayton, Greater London5 July 2017
Wow, after many years working in a real conglomerate company for many years, of which many was in hr. I was totally shocked at the incompentence of management when dealing with staff and company policy(s).
No idea. No signed interview notes!!! Pulled straight in for probationary interviews, without the 5 day invite being sent. Completly ignoring employees requests for occupational health initiation. Complete lack of duty of care.
Employees dont challenge this company, as they believe they dont have grounds, due to termination during probation. Not true!!!!
They are a complete joke when it comes to process's and procedures!!!
Pros
Shopping loaded onto van for drivers.
Cons
Management abilities very questionable. Any excuse to dismiss.
productive workplace
Delivery Driver (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Dartford, Kent26 June 2017
very good company, enjoyed lone working and seeing new places. mostly delivered to peoples homes with grocery shopping, also delivered to work places and offices in London, such places include the shard and I often drive past Big Ben and London bridge.

The hardest part of the job is having to work different days every week and different times.

if this was a Monday to Friday, 9-5 job I wouldn't even be looking at other jobs but for personal reason it I have to look at other options.
this is my review
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire10 June 2017
i enjoyed working here the training staff at the time were friendly transport was made available for those who didn't have cars , the food in the canteen areas was above board the shop floor teams were excellent.
Fun
Driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 June 2017
Enjoyed the company. Was out and about.
Shift work was good
Uniform was comfortable
Nice customers
security good
salary good
management good
late lunches
Pros
good support
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocado. Our community is ready to answer.