Ocado Employee Reviews for Personal Shopper

Groundhog Day
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire3 December 2017
A typical day involves starting at 0430, going to the brief (where the managers talk about the night shift's progress and any problems that they had. They also tell you whether compulsory overtime is likely. After the brief, you go to your allocated starting floor and are at the mercy of the computer system until you log off at the end of the day. There are two 34 minute breaks and the first one could be as early at 0640 or as late as 0930, the computer system chooses this for you.

Positives:
- 15% off ocado.com
- 3 days off a week
- The app for your roster is very good. You can swap shifts and book holiday.
- People are generally friendly.
- The onsite shop, restaurant and clubroom are good.
- Overtime is often available
- You always work the same shift.
- Good parking.
- Incentives.

Negatives:
- Relentless, monotonous, boring work. You pick, pick and pick all day, with high targets.
- It's like being back at school in some respects. For example being locked out of the system and having to talk to a manager to explain why you were late back from a break. If you borrow something and don't return it, or you forget your ID card, you effectively get locked out of the building and have to wait for a manager to get you.
- Very controlling place to work.
- Annoying break times.
- Compulsory overtime. To be fair, it's usually only about 10 minutes extra, but means that you can't plan the rest of the day in case you have to stay for an extra hour or so.
- They are very inflexible.
- Not easy to report problems.
- Communication is appalling. As an example, managers
  more... almost never give you an update on progress as you get close to the end of the day. Often the totes slowly fizzle away until you start to think "so can I go home now, or...?" This is especially annoying if they announce compulsory overtime and you have no idea whether you'll be there for 10 minutes or an hour longer. Also on this note, they always talk about working as a team in the daily brief but it must be the worst "team" in the world as you can easily go the whole day without talking to anyone!
- You are just a number.
- None of the managers talk to you after your training week, until you get called into the office for a 6 week review.
- No easy way of suggesting things, such as carrying out basic maintenance of the stations.
- Management is obsessed with production.
- Incentives encourage people to be lazy, leaving you to clean up after them and reducing your pick rate.

Overall, I gave Ocado 2 stars because despite all of the negatives, it could be a lot worse. I consider the salary to be about right for the type of work and the perks are nice. I wouldn't recommend working there, but it's better than no job.
Pros
4 days on, 3 days off; staff discount, people are mostly friendly
Cons
Long days (but fewer working days), relentless work, monotonous, little communication with other humans, compulsory overtime
Awful
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire2 November 2017
Great work colleagues not bad work. But management are a joke ready to throw you out the door at any moment. When fired or leaving the job made to look like a convict walked out of the location in front of all your friends and colleagues. Rubbish for night staff as left with no food and not allowed out of premises to get some. Don't work here unless you really want to know how bad Hitler really was.
Pros
3 days off a week
Cons
Not enough time to write all of them
Best workplace in warehousing safe comes first
Personal shopper (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire30 September 2017
I like it there it was very easy but personal family problems make me move home!if I ever move back to England it will be a pleasure to work there again lot of cooperative people in a four level building every level managers and coordinators watch every detail making the best for the customers
worth it if you have the patience of a saint and humor of a bi lingual donkey
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  dordan warwickshire14 July 2017
If you are Romanian you should find this job is like home from home, if however you are English like me and have the ability to withstand the months of torture of having about as much in work communication as fred west at a parents evening you'll fit in just fine joking of course, but this job is long tedious and highly repetitive the chances of advancement are limited and even if you do the responsibilities do not reflect the pay, the management is limited in its knowledge of how to treat people and requires constant behind kissing for any chance of job rotation, having said all this please don't be put off by the fact the site has a lot of Romanian nationals as once you get accepted by them, they're really quite sweet people who just have a hard time interacting with people from the typical national background, the pay is good but you will require a certain mind set.
Long Days
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire1 June 2017
I worked for exactly 3 months which is the probation period. Very high turnover of staff, they employ about 20 staff on a Monday but release about 20 the same day! If you are not fast enough you will be leaving 3 months later. Some of the staff stand around taking while you are trying your best to get some bonus! Mostly on a Friday there would be compulsory overtime too. Some of the managers were good but not all. You will get on great if you can speak Polish as well!
Pros
The Restaurant
Cons
Wages were not great. Can not understand Polish!
it's a prison
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire31 May 2017
First of all you're not a person over there, you're a robot and you don't have a name just a number. every time that i go to work i feel like i'm going to prison. first of all i'm working in chilled area where the temperature is between 0-5 degrees. everything that i'm allowed to do is to work hard and hard and hard, nothing else i also been told that i'm not allowed to log off from the station to go at the toilet at some point, and if you have a personal problem or any other problems the solution to them is always the time, nobody else will help you so NO. Ocado is not a good place to work. At least they have a very good system and employment app where you can book holidays see you're rota and do any changes if is available
Pros
company shop with products that expire the next day at great prices
Cons
Summary
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire24 May 2017
ok place to work,

the work environment is good, friendly colleagues and mangers.

roles vary depending on experience but is lots of room for progression
Personal shopper
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire10 April 2017
Picking and packing people shopping, ensuring nothing get damaged. Cleaning as you go, and ensuring the work area is as you found it. We work in different temperatures chill or ambient.
Pros
finish at half 2 most days
Cons
early start
Fast paced environment.
Personal shopper in freezers (Former Employee) –  Dordon, UK30 March 2017
Fast paced environment, opportunities to move up in the company with the internal vacancies advantage. Flexible working days and holidays, with the ability to move your shifts around and to swap shifts with co-workers.
Pros
Canteen, flexible shift rota, opportunity to further career.
Cons
Fast paced, strenuous tiring work in freezers, allot of physical expenditure.
best job
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, UK27 March 2017
this is best job i ever had, to bad i had to leave because i fall in love, i will always go back to work in here, i had a lot of things to learn and a lot of skills
Avoid, Awful Place Of Work
Personal Shopper Despatch Nights (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire8 January 2017
To Much Favouritism Long Hours Physical Work And 2 Breaks Where Most Of Your Time Gets Wasted Walking To Where You Want To Go I Had No Abscences Or Lates In 16 Weeks Still Got The Sack Even Though Performance Was Good Team Managers All Tell You Different Things Despatch Has Good Shift Timings But Work And Targets Are A JokeTo Be Honest. Low Pay For Nights
Pros
Ocado Shop Discounts
Cons
Long Hours, Physical Job, Useless Management
terrible place to work
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon14 October 2016
too cold to work, expect you to work faster than the speed of light and very bossy staff would not recommend them. not a nice place to work
fun work place
Personal shopper (Former Employee) –  Hatfield16 September 2016
After almost 9 years of experience at Ocado as a personal shopper I have learnt how to work as part of a team. my daily basic duties at work were to complete customers orders by picking and packing and involve with cleaning duties ,I enjoyed working as part of a team within a friendly environment. The hardest part of my job would entail lifting heavy products..
Pros
long hoilday
Cons
made to do overtime
Positive and safe environment at workplace.
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Hatfield31 July 2016
People are friendly there and always keen to help to each other. Also you can gain your knowledge about the work in warehouse and any similar industrial.
There is a high level of management. Qualified managers and many other workers who are happy to help.
Interesting place to work, but people are like monkeys (especial in the lockers)
MSC - personal shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon22 July 2016
Nice place to work, you have fixed hours you need to work, rota shifts, you know in advance when you work.

They do favorism between the personal, new people can't even think at unpaid holliday if they need a day or two (in case of emergency) while others (especialy british workers) gets it.

People don't mind their business, they talk alot and wrong. (gossips)

It's ok if you just go for the money.

Meet super people,but mostly they suck.
Nice management (some of it).
Pros
3 days a week resting
Cons
Civilisation is not a good point for the people who work there
too many issues
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Hatfield30 May 2016
The whole Ocado System is beeing abused well over its capacity and its creating really big productional issues as well as the managers not properlyy trained and very emotional decision makers.
Pros
clean canteen
Cons
poor integrity within collegues
Worst place/company to work for
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon28 May 2016
Ocado does not give a monkeys about its employees, I worked there for quite a while and was treated like I was still at school by the managers, managers are rude and have no respects for the staff, they expect you to work like robots and you are not given the basic right to use the toilets unless it's on break which sometimes cannot be for nearly 5 hours, also while I was working there a manager had posted a racist postbon Facebook but Ocado did not do anything about this even though we was told not to post anything on any social media site, money is not good for the hours worked 6.45pm-4.45am, sometimes emergencies occur outside work and if you tell the managers that you may not be able to work they will threaten you with file notes and stage meetings, no compassion at all, I advise anyone thinking of working for this company to think twice before applying.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, stupid times, rude managers, racist managers
Good
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Hatfield26 May 2016
Eerything works excellent and under control. Managers are kind and polite people are smiley everythings is good. A day at work was normal its areally easy job and the only thing you must be careful is to manage your break time .
Good place to work if you put some effort in.
Personal Shopper - Freezer (Current Employee) –  CFC2 Dordon15 May 2016
I've worked for Ovado now for 6 months in the freezer in the day shift (4:30 - 14:30). I initially struggled with the workload as I thought the targets were too high, after putting more effort into my work and asking for some help from the managers I was able to reach my targets. Only took me 6 weeks before I started to surpass the targets and start to feel the bonus from the incentive pay.

Ocado is growing rapidly meaning there's plenty of opportunity to progress, yet it seems like if you don't know/ get along with the right people you are less likely to get anywhere.

The pay is relative to the work you do as its nothing complicated/ hard, the hours you do can fluctuate as some days you finish late but some you can finish early so it's not all bad.

I have made some good friends whilst working here and enjoy working with the majority of my co-workers. There are those that always seem to do nothing and get away with it but that's the same as every job nowhere is perfect.

Overall a good place to work if you're looking for a job that's stress free and rewarding if you're willing to put the effort in.
Pros
Good co-workers, helpful management, discounted shop/cheap food
Cons
Early start
overall comment
personal shopper (Former Employee) –  Hatfield27 April 2016
I work as a personal shopper,I like this job because I met new friends.Menagment - I leave it without comment.Good break time- 3 times per shift.
Pros
flexible time work
Cons
overtimes forced

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocado. Our community is ready to answer.

Ocado Reviews by Location