Ocado Employee Reviews for Personal Shopper

fun workplace
Personal home shopper (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire13 November 2018
A good job which I enjoyed love people learner how to pack customers shopping and to see how others packed there shopping and helped people to learn how to pack it in a better way so the customer was happy with the way it was packed
Nice workplace
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Hatfield5 November 2018
Its a very good company, tidy , and nice, people there are very supportive and helpful , there is always a good team work everybody is very friendly ,...
Pros
cheap food
Cons
long hours can get ovetimes
tiring and low pay
personal shopper (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire18 October 2018
a typical day at ocado would consist of an early start and long hours with unpaid breaks which in my opinion were not long enough to fully relax from the physically demanding job.
good job
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire9 October 2018
I learned to become faster at work, to have a good time management, the hardest part was standing to much, giving me lower back pain, the only bad thing was about the fact that pregnant woman still need to work standing
Poor management, long hours
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire9 October 2018
No bad job, long hours, very bad management must of them doesn't respect you... just because you are a personal shopper they think u are a rubbish. If u want to grown in the company you will need to have friends on top. You can be a hard work but for them u are just a number
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no respect from the managers, low wages, planning have no ideia what to do, some OM have no ideia how to speak with people...
they don't care
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire6 October 2018
3 sickness and your out i had 1 sickness and accident at work and 1 allergic reaction they through me out the door they dont give second chances to anyone
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything else
Not a bad place to work for
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Andover22 September 2018
The company does try to look after its employees in many ways, though obviously they will be thinking of profitability first. If you work hard, you will get on fine.
Back breaking work
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire20 September 2018
:ots of heavy duty lifting on some aisles. not for someone who wants to progress at a job. Great if you need something to keep you going. managers can be helpful when needed. very solitary job and can be lonely
Pros
easy to get a job there
Cons
irregular shift patterns, must be flexible
Good place to work hard
Personal shopper (Current Employee) –  Hatfield15 September 2018
if you are hard worker thats the place for you. Picking up heavy stuff, input data in the system, work fast as of that depends the bonus you will receive.
Pros
no pressure
Cons
heavy job
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Hatfield28 August 2018
Hard work People help togheter like a team work. I like this job but is to far away from my home thats why I would like to change my job for a weekends.
ok place to work, just not for me
Personal Shopper Freezer (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire7 August 2018
friendly management and ok place to work, hard work and long hours and not a lot of breaks, ok pay, longish commute for me and the job just isnt for everyone.
Pros
Friendly management
Cons
Long work days
wouldnt recommend
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Andover7 August 2018
a typical day at work is boring but with the staff it makes work considerately better. you have to stand at a station and pick items into totes and that is it.
management dont treat you very well you are pretty much just a number to them aslong as they get the orders picked and packed it doesnt matter if your ill or struggling with any sort of physical or mental health.
you can get promotions within the company but usually this only happens if you dont mind brown nosing your way up.
if you want to be treated with respect by your employers then i would not recommend this job.
Pros
Cons
long hours, bad management.
Bad place to work
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire17 July 2018
Just note that every one leaves this job after 2 -3 months To much physical work and very bad pay rate. There is lost of overtime but you wont have the energy to do it. Rude managers who don"t care about you i have work there for 1 year
A very good job
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon7 May 2018
High tech technology ,professionalism , good synchronisation , a good management and the managers very kind . I believe this is a very good opportunity to develop a career in the future .
Busy so you never get bored
Personal shopper (Current Employee) –  Chilled zone pick26 April 2018
I just started here and on nights and pick. It's very fast paced if you want to keep up with targets and alot of walking. I'm loving the job for me it's perfect as I like to keep on the go and busy and also helps lose weight :D I prefer the night shift which is also extra money. My only wish is that they are set shifts. It's hard to get into a routine with sleep when one week you could do 4 nights in a row. Then 2 in 1 off 2 in 2 off and so on. But when you have like 1 day off it's difficult to find a sleep pattern. So I feel set shifts would be better for night shift workers as it's a very demanding Job so you do burn out quickly and walking so much with safety shoes on kills your feet. People so far are very nice. I don't like walking round and not being able to understand a word alot of them are saying and honestly I don't think it should be aloud that way. Everyone should speak the same language whilst at work. But I like the place at the moment and hope I'm here for a while. Great pay for me as I get an extra £400 a month to what I originally earned without any overtime which is great!
Pros
Good money
Cons
Not set shifts on nights
physically challenging
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Tamworth6 February 2018
Low wages. You are just a number. Management is obsessed with production. Very controlling place to work. oads of running around, freezing cold working in the fridge and freezers
Pros
good breaks
Cons
shift patterns
Groundhog Day
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire3 December 2017
A typical day involves starting at 0430, going to the brief (where the managers talk about the night shift's progress and any problems that they had. They also tell you whether compulsory overtime is likely. After the brief, you go to your allocated starting floor and are at the mercy of the computer system until you log off at the end of the day. There are two 34 minute breaks and the first one could be as early at 0640 or as late as 0930, the computer system chooses this for you.

Positives:
- 15% off ocado.com
- 3 days off a week
- The app for your roster is very good. You can swap shifts and book holiday.
- People are generally friendly.
- The onsite shop, restaurant and clubroom are good.
- Overtime is often available
- You always work the same shift.
- Good parking.
- Incentives.

Negatives:
- Relentless, monotonous, boring work. You pick, pick and pick all day, with high targets.
- It's like being back at school in some respects. For example being locked out of the system and having to talk to a manager to explain why you were late back from a break. If you borrow something and don't return it, or you forget your ID card, you effectively get locked out of the building and have to wait for a manager to get you.
- Very controlling place to work.
- Annoying break times.
- Compulsory overtime. To be fair, it's usually only about 10 minutes extra, but means that you can't plan the rest of the day in case you have to stay for an extra hour or so.
- They are very inflexible.
- Not easy to report problems.
- Communication is appalling. As an example, managers
  more... almost never give you an update on progress as you get close to the end of the day. Often the totes slowly fizzle away until you start to think "so can I go home now, or...?" This is especially annoying if they announce compulsory overtime and you have no idea whether you'll be there for 10 minutes or an hour longer. Also on this note, they always talk about working as a team in the daily brief but it must be the worst "team" in the world as you can easily go the whole day without talking to anyone!
- You are just a number.
- None of the managers talk to you after your training week, until you get called into the office for a 6 week review.
- No easy way of suggesting things, such as carrying out basic maintenance of the stations.
- Management is obsessed with production.
- Incentives encourage people to be lazy, leaving you to clean up after them and reducing your pick rate.

Overall, I gave Ocado 2 stars because despite all of the negatives, it could be a lot worse. I consider the salary to be about right for the type of work and the perks are nice. I wouldn't recommend working there, but it's better than no job.
Pros
4 days on, 3 days off; staff discount, people are mostly friendly
Cons
Long days (but fewer working days), relentless work, monotonous, little communication with other humans, compulsory overtime
Awful
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire2 November 2017
Great work colleagues not bad work. But management are a joke ready to throw you out the door at any moment. When fired or leaving the job made to look like a convict walked out of the location in front of all your friends and colleagues. Rubbish for night staff as left with no food and not allowed out of premises to get some. Don't work here unless you really want to know how bad Hitler really was.
Pros
3 days off a week
Cons
Not enough time to write all of them
Best workplace in warehousing safe comes first
Personal shopper (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire30 September 2017
I like it there it was very easy but personal family problems make me move home!if I ever move back to England it will be a pleasure to work there again lot of cooperative people in a four level building every level managers and coordinators watch every detail making the best for the customers
worth it if you have the patience of a saint and humor of a bi lingual donkey
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  dordan warwickshire14 July 2017
If you are Romanian you should find this job is like home from home, if however you are English like me and have the ability to withstand the months of torture of having about as much in work communication as fred west at a parents evening you'll fit in just fine joking of course, but this job is long tedious and highly repetitive the chances of advancement are limited and even if you do the responsibilities do not reflect the pay, the management is limited in its knowledge of how to treat people and requires constant behind kissing for any chance of job rotation, having said all this please don't be put off by the fact the site has a lot of Romanian nationals as once you get accepted by them, they're really quite sweet people who just have a hard time interacting with people from the typical national background, the pay is good but you will require a certain mind set.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocado. Our community is ready to answer.

Ocado Reviews by Location