Ocado Employee Reviews for CSTM

Better than working for a Supermarket
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol30 June 2018
Where I used to work I was on minimum wage and only got paid for the hours I worked, here it's at least a pound more an hour and you get paid more for working evenings, Sundays, over time, but for some reason, not Bank Holidays, I'm not saying it should be time and a half, they could at least make that Sunday rate, or even an extra 50p an hour would make me feel differently about doing it.
It also seems odd that you earn more money for working after 6pm, but get very little for coming in really early the best you get is half an hour at night rate when you come in at 5.30.

Some people complain about losing weekends, where I last worked I worked every weekend, compared to that weekends are more of a thing for me now.

You always work 5 days a week with 2 rest days that seem to come at random times, sometimes you also work early to late shift meaning a good long break between shifts without a rest day.
You can often change your shift times online, as well as book holiday. It's good to get a bit creative on the website booking holiday at strategic times to get yourself long breaks, I tend to get a period of at least 4 days off at least once a month, sometimes you can end up with as many as 5 days off, but only using one day's holiday.
You can move to 10-hour shifts and only work 4 days a week but they tend to be a bit of a slog, it would be good if we could do a mixture of shifts only working two 10 hour shifts a week and get 5 rest days a fortnight.

You come in and your van is loaded for you then you go out to do your route and it's always somewhere different, it's
  more... so big there are many places we cover I've still not been to even after 2 years, the last place I worked I was sick of always being in the same areas.

Compared to where I used to work, the driving standards are a lot better and the vans are a lot cleaner.

It's a good place to work, but for some reason, Bristol Spoke pays less than many others even the Dordon spoke pays more and that's in a less expensive place to live.
The check-in system at the end of the day seems to be really laborious, it can sometimes take over half an hour before you can leave. It just seems odd they make the marshals park the vans for us.
I would consider the Marshal job, but it seems more of a step down than up, they get paid slightly more, but they're unlikely to go home early, meaning per hour they probably earn less than many of the drivers.
Pros
Nice job, tends to be easy, more profetional than supermarkets.
Cons
No extra for coming in early, bank holidays or Saturdays, less money than other spokes for no apparent reason. Takes too long to get checked in
Not secure and demoralising
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Leeds20 April 2018
I left a secure job for Ocado thinking it would be better- it was not worth it. They hand out disciplinary for anything and everything. Managers don’t say morning to you as you walk in the building. Nobody knows your name just your hand scan number. Expected to drive around for 10 hours straight with a 30 min break that could be 8 hours into the shift. Not good pay for how the job makes u feel. the turnover of staff is unbelievable as they don’t care for people only the company. Do not apply for this job you WILL regret it
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Long hours, poor management, dissatisfaction everyday
Best paid job I have ever had, overtime available too
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Leeds14 April 2018
How people can moan is beyond me, yes it involves some lifting so what? The people that moan are the one's that have come from a job that involves sat on their rear ends doing nothing for 40k a year. If like me your coming from a job that is £7 per hour then this is quality, you get different rates of pay, basic mon to sat on am shifts then extra on pm and you get even extra om sunday's and if you do any overtime above 40 hours its just short of double time. Easy job aswell you average what 11 to 25 drops, the less drops you get the more miles you have to drive is usually the case, in leeds we cover to hull then the other way burnley, rochdale and everywhere in between. You turn up, print your route off you go, no loading or unloading your vans as the warehouse guys do it, its just like been your own boss, stop when you want, eat when you want as long as your on time for your drops your left alone, been there a few year now and I love it to be honest it beats been stuck inside with a manager on your back.
Pros
Early finishes, eat when you want, good money
Cons
None for me
If you dont want a social life its for you
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Bristol4 April 2018
Easy work can be heavy at times, they want you to live the Ocado way and nothing else (stepford wives). One good thing is if you finish early you can go home and still get payed.
Pros
Non
Cons
Shift pattern, hardly any weekends off, they give you a pay rise then take 3days holidays off of you.
No social life and complete disrespect from majority of the management
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire4 April 2018
Three years and during this time I witnessed a culture of sackings which I feel went against Employment Law. No consideration for the welfare of their drivers. The job itself was easy enough but with some routes not really achievable it placed unnecessary pressure on the CSTMs, and then dealing with the customers face to face, ensuring a great doorstep experience when you ran late. If you want to have no life, see no friends and have no time for your family then Ocado is for you.
Pros
Regular work
Cons
Unfair rota, just a number, no consideration
Productive work place
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London27 March 2018
Very good work place and people to be around very understanding about ur issues and helping with any problems you may have but the routes r too heavy and to mend jobs in a short time scale
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Bad route planning
Fab place to work.
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire25 March 2018
Love working here. Lots of training given. Lots of promotions available. Lots of additional roles available. Get out and about in the countryside. If you like driving this is the job for you.
Management are uneducated people
CSTM (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 March 2018
The management at Ocado are uneducated in the least disrespectful way. Drivers are nice and friendly, however managers are rude, unprofessional and liars. Be careful as managers have favorites. Cool job but management ruined it for me.
Pros
free coffee, tea
Cons
management are useless
Appalling company to work for
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Dagenham, Greater London5 March 2018
Horrendous company to work for and I felt sorry for the fellow CSTMs. Everyone above CSTM seems to have a power trip in their higher position and often treat the CSTMs poorly with very little to no respect.

The middle management think they have better knowledge than doctors and physio therapists and most appalling behaviour is how they would use their discretion to muck up your route to punish you for anything they want to punish you for. That to me is despicable behaviour from members of staff that CSTMs look up to and seek advice from. The CSTMs are over worked and not appreciated by the company in a grand scale and what is worse is that managers in some of the spokes (sites), such as the Dagenham Spoke, treat CSTMs like animals in a zoo, with no respect and unacceptable behaviour towards them – almost criminal and they get away with it.

If you are looking for a decent employer who will respect you and treat you fairly and according to the law, I WOULD STAY WELL AWAY FROM OCADO RETAIL LIMITED – I am disgusted in the way they treat the subordinate members of staff like CSTMs.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Everything, Especially middle management behaviour
Selfish company
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Park Royal4 March 2018
Not a good company to work not secure job Every week 50 drivers join the company and 100 driver get sacked or resing ‘there is camera 🎥 inside van which is not necessary it makes driver uncomfortable heavy job ‘company doesn’t appreciate what you are doing as CSTM (customer delivery driver) not job guaranty all drivers in this company are numbers the company pays little more than other company but is heavy job is very heavy job I don’t recommend
Pros
N/a
Cons
Heavy job
physically challenging and tight deadlines
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire28 January 2018
The day starts with odd shift times anything from 5.30am to 4pm but to get away on time it is always best to get in a little early to sort out route and check van and load.
The management are fine but rules are sticky adhered to even if they are to the detriment of smooth running and the culture is just get on with it and don't challenge any decisions made.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up to route and drop deadlines as traffic holdups are built into the route schedules.
The most enjoyable part is the camaraderie between drivers and being out on the road (if you like driving),
Pros
somethimes able to finish a little early
Cons
always having to get in before start time to make deadlines and disjointed shift rotas
No Life. Low wages.
CSTM (Current Employee) –  North West19 December 2017
An unskilled, easy job, but you will work almost every weekend-only 2 weekends off per 13 week rota. Take home is around 320 a week, so very low. Mix of early and late shifts that can hardly ever be swapped due to understaffedproblems-people leave as quick as they join. No progression, pointless wage increases of around 7/8p per year (seriously). Treated like a kid-don’t like something-hard luck. Funeral or wedding on a work day? Hard luck.
Terrible vans that are falling to bits and outdated sat navs. Routes are not planned very well at all.
If you have kids, a wife, hobbies, social life, say goodbye to them.
Staff discount but you won’t be able to afford to shop there!
One benefit is the health care.
Pros
Health care.
Cons
Low wage, work terrible shifts, work every weekend, no work/life balance
Very unhelpful hard work
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Hatfield12 October 2017
Not easy & terrible management they do not care about workers & put alot of pressure on the new employes, there is good benefits that's about all what is positive
Pros
Pension
Cons
Long hours to much pressure
Friendly staff. Nice place to work
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Dagenham Heathway Station5 October 2017
Worked there for around a year. Enjoyed my experience. Delivered to lots of different places in and around London and got to go to other depots. Thanks
good place of work
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London21 August 2017
is keep you fit.good place of work avery day is not the same,meet new people and enjoy working with customers,and every day diferent route witch is nice
Just don't bother
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire2 August 2017
Just an awful soul sucking company. Terrible hours, work most weekends, no support from management team. Get 1 complaint against you, they take the side of the customer every time and get rid of you. Lucky if you can start your shift on time due to your van not loaded on time. Vans are disgusting, very rarely cleaned inside, equipment issued to you is poor - sat navs are useless, always crash and take 5 mins to restart each time.No job security at all. Would rate 0 stars. If you must work here, invest in a large capacity dictophone to record your customer interactions. Only way to save your job if some lying cockwomble complains about you just for £10 voucher.
Pros
Cons
No job security. They constantly recruit and lose drivers
it is nice and cuddly at first but after the 12 week review.
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London19 July 2017
When you start it is nice and calm. don't get a lot of drops. After the 12 week review, you get the real experience. This company makes 1 bilion PROFIT A YEAR but can not afford to give you proper decent equipment to do your job. The management are the nicest I have ever had, really calm and friendly. Just show respect and you get respect back. The hardest part is taking heavy items like 2L bottles of fizzy drinks, packs of water, 10 kilos of rice, 5L of oil. These are not just one, you could get 10 or 20 of them to 4 floor no lift to a council house where the benefit people live or to central london companies. I personally don't find something enjoyable to think of apart from if you finish early you MAYBE allowed to go home early and get paid for it. But that hardly happens. Be prepared for usual monthly penalties, such as parking, restriction fines. They say they appeal but they don't try harder. This is a problem because you are following a sat nav system given by the company that does not follow restriction signs.
Pros
can go home early and wekly pay.
Cons
lots of fines to pay, lots of flats to deliver. if you are based near london.
Friendly co-workers
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Dagenham Dock16 May 2017
Working with friendly co-workers. But the work can sometimes be impossible to do in the time allowed to do it as everything is timed to the minute. An example of this would be a delivery time slot of 1 - 2 but an estimated arrival time of 1.59. so if you are just one minute behind schedule you will be late.
you get feed back from customers but if it is negative you are told about it weeks or even months after so you probably can remember what happened on that day when asked about it.
I had an accident at work resulting in two months off sick and then sacked for unauthorised absence.
Pros
15% staff discount
Cons
unsociabe hours
Easy job
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 April 2017
Easy job! As others have said afraid of being sacked when you get to every shift, god forbid if you bump a van or get a scratch from brushing a tree, then they are all over you!! Be prepared to be sent down the same street 3 or 4 times a shift at all different times of the shift pointless waste of fuel!!

Pay was ok not great for the late nights you do!! Late nights as I was given were nearly all 4-00 shifts not fun at all when you have a family! Getting sent to the same place everyday day/week is a joke when the radius they deliver is so vast! Defiantly if your face fits your ok... job and finish the best thing about the job by far..

If your desperate then go for it but I wouldn't recommend it if you have a life or a family.. good at first but will def wear you down!!
Pros
Job and finish, vans pre loaded, easy job
Cons
How the routes are done, some of the management, how shifts are sort d
Well organised.
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Ruislip, Middlesex21 April 2017
Excellent, clean cut company. Well organised. First class training. easy job. £10.00 an hour net, would be perfect. Management friendly, easily approachable.
Pros
Uniform, discounts, career prospects, happy environment.
Cons
unsociable hours, shifts, no pattern to shifts, odd days off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocado. Our community is ready to answer.

Ocado Reviews by Location