Ocado Employee Reviews in London

difficult backbreaking work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 October 2017
hours include 0530 starts, the shift will require over 20 drops to places that will include flats with fights of stairs.Unrealistic targets, no breaks.
Pros
zero
Cons
back breaking work, no breaks nonstop
Fun
Driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 June 2017
Enjoyed the company. Was out and about.
Shift work was good
Uniform was comfortable
Nice customers
security good
salary good
management good
late lunches
Pros
good support
Cons
Poor management, hard working unhappy drivers and nice customers.
driver (Current Employee) –  london2 April 2017
Used to be a nice place to work before new management
took over. Happy staff, happy customers? not anymore, staff treated like slaves and put under to much pressure. The management has no respect for staff and moral is very low.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
unfair working conditions
Lots of week end working
CSTM (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 March 2017
Worked for a while out of a London Branch/spoke. Hours and lots of week-ends, so can be pretty hard at times.
Their GPS systems are awful, and planning of routes insane and very cost ineffective.
Poor customer notification of late deliveries from offices/customer services, so poor old driver gets it in the neck if you are late, even if the delivery from Central warehouse is late into the depot or the route planning daft.
The place was a revolving door with new drivers in and out, many here for a very short time.
If you need something to tie you over it helps but pay is poor and not many opportunities for overtime despite what they say.
Pros
Nice boots
Cons
one star is too good for this place!
cstm (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 December 2016
Not many pros working at this place but getting paid weekly is good and your fellow drivers are friendly as they are in the same boat as you. The vans are preloaded and easy to drive.

The cons outweigh the pros significantly. I will first start with the managers all allegedly recruited internally and have claimed to be drivers themselves. if this was really the case they would be more understanding to the problems that Cstm's face on a daily basis but I found them to be apathetic and wholly lacking in interpersonal skills. You do not really have any interaction with the manager unless you have done something wrong. The marshals can be quite good but you do have bad apples who try and talk to you like your nothing the ironic thing is they are not paid a lot more than the Cstm's for the most difficult job at the spoke.

The van

The vans are easy to drive but they are very strict on any damage on it and you can be given a warning or even charged for any damage done to the van. The van's brakes are really bad I complained constantly about them but a lot of things are brushed under the carpet. Ocado is very much a company concerned about cutting costs.

The u1/m1

This is one of the worst aspects about the job. Ocado provides you with a device called the u1 and the sat nav on this system is abysmal and Ocado couldn't care less they expect you to bring your own sat nav or worst case scenario use a map. Complaints about the u1 are meet with a shrug.

Routes and deliveries

The route you get for each shift really vary you could get a moderate amount of drops in a decent
  more... area or you could get full van in a difficult area with poor parking and lots of flats without lifts carrying crate after crate of water. We as a society are getting greedier. The customers can be ok but some are quite condescending and expect you to carry all the shopping to the kitchen. if you are a prideful person don't bother going for this job your pride will be severely bruised.

Shifts

The shifts are weird. Waking up at 4am was hard or the antisocial 4 to 12. The shifts are confused and very anti-family and anti-social you can only apply for permanent days after 3 months but you will be on a waiting list.

Low pay

The amount of work you put in does not translate into your wage slip, £300 a week is not worth it for the problems you put up with this job.

Staff turnover huge

Ocado has a big and growing problem with staff turnover ever week new people come in to replace people who have left. This is simply unsustainable and it will get worse over time.

Drivers are critical to the success of this business but are very undervalued. You must start listening to your staff or you will not exist in ten years time maybe less. The staff morale is very poor serious changes need to be made.

My advice for anyone looking to join, it is very easy to get into Ocado they are desperate for drivers but please turn this job down you will regret joining. If you are desperate then please go for the 7.5-hour shift as the 10 hour shift will break you mentally and physically.
Pros
free coffee, water, and paid weekly.
Cons
long hours and shift pattern and low pay.
Good company
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London13 December 2016
Good co to work for a excellent management. Every day has a different challenge and location. Great service provider. Good pension.
Friendly and professional place to work
Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  London11 July 2016
Typical day as a marshall involves getting all vans ready for departure times, and ensuring all drivers are able to depart on time. I've learned that the best way to achieve this is by working as an effective team member. The hardest part of the job is the physical aspect, so making sure you adhere to manual handling principles, and health and safety rules is a must. The most enjoyable part of the job is the team spirit that is developed when working to a common goal with like minded people.
Pros
Flexible start times
Cons
Unsociable hours
High volume, high turn over, far too much process
Service Delivery team manager (Current Employee) –  London5 April 2016
Essentially the company is trying to grow quickly but is like an infant trying to run before it can walk. It needs far better structure to the management teams and the policies and processes are not conjoined with other teams. They are obsessed with google docs and emails.

A general shift will begin with 100+ queries from drivers added together with 100+emails. Then you have to manage a fleet of 60 vans/routes. Start at 2:30pm till around 1am. Then a morning shift is 5-3 ish. No overtime but you often have to stay simply to get things done.

Then you have the constant pressures of the HR function the role entails. Simply not worth the money for the poor hours you work alongside no recognition. It's sad because the company will be very different in 5 or 10 years but they will undoubtedly lose some great managers during this time as the pressures are far too great.

Shame...
Pros
Other staff understand the pressures of the role.
Cons
Long hours, no overtime, no recognition and no promotion opps
my day
Customer service operatives (Former Employee) –  London Wimbledon27 September 2015
Driving all over London with deliveries, very much the same as Sainsbury's. Online shopping, dropping of shopping to customers all over London.
Productive and Enjoyable
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ENG7 September 2015
Ocado was a good employment as it was very well managed and customer service driven company, although some days could be harder than others when there is the need for extra co worker on some deliveries we were not given this so can be tiring for the body on heavy loads.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
heavy deliveries
productive
Cstm (Current Employee) –  London, ENG18 March 2015
it is a ok job if your are looking to stay doing the same thing for lifetime. pay is decent tips also given. 8 or 10 hours shifts
Pros
free lunch
Cons
late hours
Good company to work for and can progress up the ladder
CSTM (Current Employee) –  London, ENG16 February 2015
Check vehicle over for safety checks before use.
Check totes positions in van.
Fill out paper work for condition of van.
Use U1 to navigate to address's
Drive to destination.
Use u1 to locate totes and record temp put on trolley.
Deliver to customer giving receipt explain any missing or subs,
Go to next customer and do the same till finished run.
Fill up van wash and dump route,
Drive to marshall to check lights and condition of van finish,
Pros
Consistent work and weekly pay, can do overtime
Cons
Low pay and sometimes delivering to flats with no lift not fun
very productive and friendly enviroment
CSTM/Buddy Trainer/Marshaller (Current Employee) –  london18 August 2014
A exceptionally well work focused and friendly place to work, it professional and always room for growth and you can gain plenty of experience it a short time, on top of being well organised and work focused its also a friendly and family type place to be highly recommend it.
Cons
no cons
a
Customer Service, Driver (Current Employee) –  London, ENG15 June 2014
driving 3,5 ton Mercedes Sprinter and delivering groceries to customers premises
Productive/ tight deadlines daily workplace
Marshal / Development Team Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ENG13 January 2014
. I have worked at Ocado White City for over one year and within this time I have progressed rapidly starting off as a CSTM to becoming a Marshall.
Being a Marshall is not easy as it is physically and mentally demanding, I have learnt to use this to my advantage as now I have improved my leadership qualities and capable of prioritizing things and planning ahead. Working as a team is fundamental as we to meet tight deadlines which we face on an hourly basis. Marshalling has enabled me to better my communicational and people skills, remaining onsite enabled me to get to know the Marshaller/CSTM’s which meant my relationship with them improved.
good workplace freindly professional
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ENG20 November 2013
very friendly and good place to work I would get my order sheet for my deliveries check my van out then make up to 26 deliverys in a 6 hour shift. I have learnt a lot of knowledge of the roads of London the hardest part of the job was definetly 12 crates of water up to 6 floors with no lift my most enjoyable part of the job was being my own boss and making sure my customers deliverys were on time and dealing with refunds
Pros
healthcare, bonus
weybridge
delivry driver (Current Employee) –  LONDON,20 November 2012
The entrance to the work we have to scan the hand,working as a delivery driver taught me a great drive, and solving problems.My Managers are okay but sometimes they do things that they should not do. When i scan in i print my route for the day, then I take a card with a photo van and go check it if there is other damage. My job is to deliver purchases, drive 250 miles in England.The hardest part in my work is to carry heavy shopping even on 4 floor. without lift. The most of my work I like riding a van to various interesting places and meeting nice people.
Cons
6-8h a day
production operatives, loading and unloading assistant
warehouse operatives- frame loader (Former Employee) –  london8 July 2012
all days are fine for me, both day and weekend shifts. overnight is acceptable. Already gained team workers work . never find any of the work hard than what i can not avoid to perform . i really enjoyed working with the timing and toward given a percentage on every shift. prevent of lazyness and promote team works.
Pros
according to the rules and regulation of the company
Cons
full time hours- 45hrs and no maximum