Ocado Employee Reviews in Bristol

2.9Job Security & Advancement
Your just a number
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol30 December 2018
Their scanning devices are shocking and crash on you everyday without fail whilst your driving with the sat nav so unless you use your own sat nav it will cause you to miss your break and be late for customers. Pre loaded vans are sometimes muddled up so the crates are in the incorrect places which can make you late, sometimes the trailers are late so it makes you late going out on route, most managers apart from a few get really mad with you if you don't do over time ( I was always told if its your time to finish and you've still got deliveries bring them back and marshals will redeliver) I done this a few times and managers got really funny and rude to me be about it...I have a life out side of work and will not be forced to do overtime! Done overtime on a few occasions when I wasn't busy outside of work even stayed out to 1am once but it was never appreciated. They really do treat you like a number here no support offered when I had a situation with getting to work they didn't care they would rather replace me! When you work evenings and you get back about 11.30pm - 12 am there is a massive que with everyone getting back at the same time so it takes you around 30 mins to wait for everyone to refuel and check their vans in it is a long process but I didn't find a problem with it during the day shifts. I was taking home around 330 after tax and NI after a week of doing lates. They tell you it's 2 weeks of earlys and 2 weeks of lates but they give you way more lates than earlys which is wrong. You also dont get the higher paid overtime rate until you've done past 40 hours a  more... week so if your on a 37.5 hour contract so you need to do at least 2.5 hours overtime per week to get the higher rate paid. Your not aloud to take photo evidence of the vans if you find damage whilst doing the van checks and if you don't find a marshal to tel them about the damage you will get the blame for it. If you was able to ask other drivers about swapping shifts on the app it would make things easier for drivers but unless you know them and their password it's impossible. Customer services are a joke and very unhelpful they will not call customers to say your running late you have to sit their and call every customer making yourself even more late and if you run out of time they will not call the customer they tell you to call the customer and tell them to call customer services to get a rebook....it would make life alot easier if they called them as they are the ones who rebook the delivery! Managers who have been there and done the job themselves seem to be alot more understanding and helpful.  less
Pros
Weekly pay and being able to book holiday on miocado and to arrange your rota to what suits you
Cons
Your just a number and some managers just dont care about you.
Cstm driver
Customer Service Team Member (Current Employee) –  Bristol13 September 2018
Silly hours, not enough time on route, sat navs are pants. Vans are damaged and on there last legs, management are not helpful and marshalls dont care! £330 take home
Better than working for a Supermarket
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol30 June 2018
Where I used to work I was on minimum wage and only got paid for the hours I worked, here it's at least a pound more an hour and you get paid more for working evenings, Sundays, over time, but for some reason, not Bank Holidays, I'm not saying it should be time and a half, they could at least make that Sunday rate, or even an extra 50p an hour would make me feel differently about doing it.
It also seems odd that you earn more money for working after 6pm, but get very little for coming in really early the best you get is half an hour at night rate when you come in at 5.30.

Some people complain about losing weekends, where I last worked I worked every weekend, compared to that weekends are more of a thing for me now.

You always work 5 days a week with 2 rest days that seem to come at random times, sometimes you also work early to late shift meaning a good long break between shifts without a rest day.
You can often change your shift times online, as well as book holiday. It's good to get a bit creative on the website booking holiday at strategic times to get yourself long breaks, I tend to get a period of at least 4 days off at least once a month, sometimes you can end up with as many as 5 days off, but only using one day's holiday.
You can move to 10-hour shifts and only work 4 days a week but they tend to be a bit of a slog, it would be good if we could do a mixture of shifts only working two 10 hour shifts a week and get 5 rest days a fortnight.

You come in and your van is loaded for you then you go out to do your route and it's always somewhere different, it's
  more... so big there are many places we cover I've still not been to even after 2 years, the last place I worked I was sick of always being in the same areas.

Compared to where I used to work, the driving standards are a lot better and the vans are a lot cleaner.

It's a good place to work, but for some reason, Bristol Spoke pays less than many others even the Dordon spoke pays more and that's in a less expensive place to live.
The check-in system at the end of the day seems to be really laborious, it can sometimes take over half an hour before you can leave. It just seems odd they make the marshals park the vans for us.
I would consider the Marshal job, but it seems more of a step down than up, they get paid slightly more, but they're unlikely to go home early, meaning per hour they probably earn less than many of the drivers.
Pros
Nice job, tends to be easy, more profetional than supermarkets.
Cons
No extra for coming in early, bank holidays or Saturdays, less money than other spokes for no apparent reason. Takes too long to get checked in
Horrible hours and no reward
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol13 April 2018
Very hard work, it may seem easy at first but the amount of miles and places they expect you to go are sometimes impossible so you end up on foot delivering.
No thanks from management if you go out your way to help and very bad hours
Pros
Cons
No social life
If you dont want a social life its for you
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Bristol4 April 2018
Easy work can be heavy at times, they want you to live the Ocado way and nothing else (stepford wives). One good thing is if you finish early you can go home and still get payed.
Pros
Non
Cons
Shift pattern, hardly any weekends off, they give you a pay rise then take 3days holidays off of you.
Good work place
Delivery Driver Marshall (Former Employee) –  Bristol14 May 2017
Good company to work for! Good pay and no 2 days are the same. Busy days with lots of drops can sometimes be hard going and if staff shortages can become busy
Pros
Plenty of breaks
work
Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol24 February 2017
Print and check paper work
check van out ready for the route
go out on route to deliver their shopping
return to depot to get the van checked back in.
Easy Job, well managed average pay
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Bristol13 April 2016
Great company to work for, the job is really easy and they look after you well. pay is fine for how easy the job is. finish early nearly every day and get paid for full 8 hours.
Pros
Early finishes
Cons
Working weekends
ocado
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Bristol21 February 2016
ocado bristol is a depot that is growing to quickly for its management to keep up but thats not the same else where i worked in southampton for a year first and they are one of the oldest depots and know what they are doing i would suggest that depot over bristol
Pros
semi felxible
Cons
poorly managed
Good company to work, great team ethics
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bristol17 February 2016
With their excellent training program and strong customer values, I was able to provide an excellent customer service with the confidence to ensure a positive feedback on a regular basis. Being helpful and informative whilst remaining a professional level at all times.

Routine van checks are very thorough to maintain a reliable vehicle throughout and a strong brand presence at all times. Co-workers are equally as passionate about their role within the company. A relaxed and friendly working environment but remaining professional at all times.

Heaving lifting and locating properties in rural places in the darkness could prove challenging but not impossible.

Providing a high level of customer satisfaction and enjoyable team working environment.
Pros
Choose days off
Cons
Very early start or late finishes
Easy job, bad pay
CSTM/ Marshal (Current Employee) –  Bristol25 January 2016
The CSTM role is quite easy really, you can go home up to 3 hours early and still get paid. I would regularly do 25 hours a week but get paid for 40. The Marshaling role is absurdly hard and stressful for only £1 an hour more. Most of the co workers are really nice and so are the management.
Pros
Short working day
Cons
pay
produtive team members
Step up Chargehand (Current Employee) –  bristol8 March 2015
I enjoy the job its just a shame some of the other shifts don't work as a team and look after the next shift with the work pattern
Pros
free uniform
Cons
unsociable hours and not good pay
well organised
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Bristol, ENG4 September 2014
go in print of paper work wait till you got a van do your checks on the van before going out to do your deliveries. Theres not to much to learn other than following a route plan and being on time for deliveries. the job is not hard atall just need common sense and the best part is when you come to your last drop on your route knowing its all done.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
unsociable hours
an enjoyable place to work
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Bristol20 March 2013
as a professional driver of a 3.5 ton vehicle the role consists of interacting with customers on a regular basis delivering there goods on time and keeping customers informed when the delivery is running late.
This position has helped me to learn and improve my customer service skills as well as working well using my own initiative.
The management are easy to get on with and helpful.
co-workers are friendly but you spend most of the time on your own.
The hardest part of the job is running late and trying to locate houses in bad driving conditions in country lanes.
The most enjoyable part would be when the sun is shining and it all goes to plan which does happen 9 times out of 10 minus the sun.