Ocado Employee Reviews

Bad engineering practices
Technician (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire8 January 2019
Managers favour staff who say yes a lot. Even if these yes people are deliberately avoiding doing repairs. Nobody is taking time to train staff. Very few engineers are competent or actually trained to a skill level.

The job itself is tiring and thankless. With minimal support and care from the managers.

If they do not like you they will try to set you up fir a fall which happened on a regular basis.

The jobs are issued by Scada watchers. These are non technical individuals which try to command you on how long an item should take. These Scada watchers are only trained to technical cleaners and some how influence managers to siding against people they don't like.

The day consists of 12 hours running up and down 4 floors with a tool kit rucksack. Just to be constantly and aching at the end of the shift.

Horrible environment. No longer a nice culture. Engineering management need restructuring from top down.
Pros
Some team banter... If management do not hear
Cons
Too many to list.
0 to zero. Pathetic
CSTM Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Enfield solar way2 January 2019
Only one manager there was cool I respect that.
All I can say is pathetic, no privacy no consideration for cstms. Managers think they are some bosses walking into work in louis vuitton trainers they sack 150 drivers a week and take another 100 on board. Why the ...... would you laugh if you have an accident
Very pathetic . Keep working for 24 a year driving your financed cars around thinking your bosses. And there is no hate from my side these people just act inhuman . My one cost more then arm an ammer not financed.
They sponsor ocado but you work for Morrisons. Devices are pathetic to they stop working takes 1 hour to come back on you call managers they tell you use your own sat nav on your phone .... wait is that not customer data protection ??? Also becareful you don't clip your mirrors because you get taken to your last warning if you do . They basically look for every excuse to get rid off you . They didn't like me apart from one manager .

Would not recommend to anyone.
Terrible shift patterns not good for human health we are not robots.
The people that write good reviews about these mugs are mugs and deluded them selfs.
I love the job and pay
CSTM Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Dordon Tamworth2 January 2019
Never been on so much money, chances of overtime. Managers very helpful, and if you can't find address phone customer and they help you. Work phone provided and the new devices are brill. Been there nearly a year now and I'm loving it. Old devices are rubbish as they keep crashing but are being phased out with new vans being delivered.
Pros
Pre loaded van good pay and friendly managers
Cons
Old devices crash a lot, but being replaced with new devices
Your just a number
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol30 December 2018
Their scanning devices are shocking and crash on you everyday without fail whilst your driving with the sat nav so unless you use your own sat nav it will cause you to miss your break and be late for customers. Pre loaded vans are sometimes muddled up so the crates are in the incorrect places which can make you late, sometimes the trailers are late so it makes you late going out on route, most managers apart from a few get really mad with you if you don't do over time ( I was always told if its your time to finish and you've still got deliveries bring them back and marshals will redeliver) I done this a few times and managers got really funny and rude to me be about it...I have a life out side of work and will not be forced to do overtime! Done overtime on a few occasions when I wasn't busy outside of work even stayed out to 1am once but it was never appreciated. They really do treat you like a number here no support offered when I had a situation with getting to work they didn't care they would rather replace me! When you work evenings and you get back about 11.30pm - 12 am there is a massive que with everyone getting back at the same time so it takes you around 30 mins to wait for everyone to refuel and check their vans in it is a long process but I didn't find a problem with it during the day shifts. I was taking home around 330 after tax and NI after a week of doing lates. They tell you it's 2 weeks of earlys and 2 weeks of lates but they give you way more lates than earlys which is wrong. You also dont get the higher paid overtime rate until you've done past 40 hours a  more... week so if your on a 37.5 hour contract so you need to do at least 2.5 hours overtime per week to get the higher rate paid. Your not aloud to take photo evidence of the vans if you find damage whilst doing the van checks and if you don't find a marshal to tel them about the damage you will get the blame for it. If you was able to ask other drivers about swapping shifts on the app it would make things easier for drivers but unless you know them and their password it's impossible. Customer services are a joke and very unhelpful they will not call customers to say your running late you have to sit their and call every customer making yourself even more late and if you run out of time they will not call the customer they tell you to call the customer and tell them to call customer services to get a rebook....it would make life alot easier if they called them as they are the ones who rebook the delivery! Managers who have been there and done the job themselves seem to be alot more understanding and helpful.  less
Pros
Weekly pay and being able to book holiday on miocado and to arrange your rota to what suits you
Cons
Your just a number and some managers just dont care about you.
Great
Customer Service Team Member (Current Employee) –  Ruislip, Greater London29 December 2018
very, very good to work for, I've been with Ocado for 10 months now and they've supported me though a lot. management is good and friendly. good balance between company and employee. the company has a lot to offer to employee. pays good but could be better.
Pros
just everything.
Cons
would recomend being fit and active for this it can take a lot out of you.
Relatively good job
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Bristol11 December 2018
I enjoy working for Ocado.
Some of the Managers are hit 'n miss (I.e don't always pick up the phone as they are likely on cig breaks...) but generally friendly and helpful.
The hours are probably the worst part, can range from 5:30am starts (finish at 1pm) and midnight finishes (starting at 4:30pm) I personally hate the lates, but the pay is better between 6pm and 6am. Pay is weekly, too.
The week of training is a bit tedious, repetitive and boring but you still get paid more than minimum wage for it.
Staff discounts are pretty good too.
As for the job itself, sometimes trailers can be late due to traffic etc which will make you late leaving for your route, and it can be difficult using the old devices as the maps arent updated (but every spoke should have new devices by January 2019). Flats with no lift are a nightmare too, especially for a large drop. Rural drops with no lighting during evening drops is also difficult.
Pros
Decent pay, good work environment
Cons
Late shifts, slow/broken devices
Frustrating company to work for
Customer Service Team Member (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes9 December 2018
The onus is paced on the driver for almost everything.
If you are late for almost any reason you have to call all the customers to inform them. No block email release by the help desk whether you break down or run in to heavy traffic. They don't realise this makes you later!
Loading on the late is usually late due to late trailers to the spoke.
Again, you have to call your customers!
You are to blame for everything!
Best to photograph the van before leaving because you WILL be blamed for something when you return.
Accident? It takes almost an hour, no matter how trivial, to get going after phoning the manager, insurance AND the customers again!

There can be very early starts, around 05:30 and very late finishes, after midnight.
Latest deliver time? 23:30!
Start times can fluctuate when on early or late shifts.
Pros
Share save scheme
Cons
Relatively low wage. Very early starts (05:30) and very late finishes (past midnight!)
ocado hatfield, in less your a gimp
Warehouse Operative dispatch (Former Employee) –  Hatfield30 November 2018
what can i say about this place. i worked there on nights 2 and harf yrs on dispatch deriving vans and loading vans and trailers o and framloading as well. they work you hard and to get the boniness you have to con peat with other shift workers on your department. some workers stick together some don't i made good money there coz i crafted my ..s off. they don't like given over time out but some times you got it if it was needed. to menney supervisor's and managers on one shift some ok but rest look down on you like your scum. they don't no there head from there ..s to run that place and some or most time you would get moved to other departments like picking or goods in witch messes with your boniness. lads i worked with on my department where grate made lots of friends. there's good points and bad points about this place more bad then good. i cud talk more about this place and the things that went on there but i would be here for days telling you. as for the people on here saying its all good thieve got a good click going on in there or there one of the lap dogs if you've got the rite face and you do what they say you will fit rite in there if you no what i mean nuff said
Pros
met some good people in there
Cons
long hours to long and management
Hardwork
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire26 November 2018
Here I learnt how to work to certain targets and ensure that overall business targets were met effectively and correctly. However the working environment here is extremely challenging and your personal value is extremely low.
Ok place to get paid
Step Up Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Dagenham, Greater London26 November 2018
The good thing is that two days are never that same, I could be a chargehand, marshal or on a route. The bad things is your rota get change without asking and the management want blood out of stone
Pros
You get paid
Cons
No praise for a good job
Its a Ying Yang job.
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire22 November 2018
You clock in, print your paperwork and if your van is ready then off you go.

Each day is different as the routes are never the same...however, certain destinations like city centres will have you thinking about finding alternative employment. Why? Because road works in cities like Birmingham are an everyday occurence and your route will not allow extra time in which to navigate the diversions...very stressful.

When your not in the cities the job is brilliant and being out on the road in good weather your mood will be lifted and you will enjoy your job.

You are pretty much your own boss on the road and 99% of the time you can go days without speaking to management as you pass through the site office.

Unfortunately when you do need to speak to management you quickly remember why you like the solutude of being in the van on your own.

Pay is good but the shift patterns are the worst ive ever experienced...you can kiss goodbye to a social life and your family will soon moan about you never being around at weekends.

Overall i can honestly say that despite the negatives i do actually like my job. I mostly enjoy the driving and this is what keeps me going.
Pros
Driving. Solitude. Certain locations.
Cons
Cities. Management. Hours.
Interisting place to work in
Warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Tamworth21 November 2018
Working for Ocado can ve really interesting, they hide a beautiflul story. Managers are close to their teams and try to make people feel really well. All teams work in great harmony
Ocado not good company
CSTM Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire16 November 2018
if you want to be persecuted and/or discriminated by mangers go work for Ocado, the pay is ok, London drops can be very hard such as 13 floor no lift with up to 80 kgs of water, milk, coke and/or juice. Most flats I delivered to had water.
Pros
Van loaded for you, pay
Cons
Persecuted, discrimination
An ok place to work if you can handle it
Warehouse packer (inbound) (Current Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire14 November 2018
In my experience the place was well run (although this varies between warehouses) the managers were great and my training was thorough however, working on the warehouse floor is extremely tedious and mixed with the very long hours can be nothing short of soulcrushing. My warehouse was also heavily automated meaning you worked independently at a station and had very little contact with the other workers. The breaks are quite long (2 x 40 min breaks) but are also unpaid meaning you lose a sizeable chunk of your pay. The managers are also very busy so it could be very annoying trying to find them when needed (as some parts of the job have to be approved by managers). The early start time is also very painful.
Pros
Good benefits, decent pay, well managed
Cons
Long hours, soulcrushingly boring, early start, not much holiday time, unpaid break
Huge turnover of staff as treated bad by management
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire14 November 2018
Management are rubbish. Little or no communication between HR, Team managers and work areas.Team managers talk down to you. Pick stations are so filthy. Food, dust and grime. Told to work in the chill isle and wearing layers of clothes, scarfs, hats etc, to then be sent to another area to work (have to de layer, to then get sent back to the cold and no time to layer up. Then the company penalises staff for getting sick. Only brown nosers get anywhere. Soon as I can find another job, I am leaving.
Pros
Not bad money. Staff shop is cheap.
Cons
Awful management. HR suck. Huge turnover of employees as nobody lasts long as treated so bad.
fun workplace
Personal home shopper (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire13 November 2018
A good job which I enjoyed love people learner how to pack customers shopping and to see how others packed there shopping and helped people to learn how to pack it in a better way so the customer was happy with the way it was packed
If you like being rushed (as I do) it's fine
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London6 November 2018
Look there are lots of cons
always not enough time
always need a wee (if you are a human that requires water)
in London all the places are hard to park etc

BUT

If you hate being stuck in a office. Looking at the clock turn 1hr = 1 minute. Then its great
You are so rushed the day does in a flash
Pay is good ~ if you include overtime (which you will include cause you will always get late cause they give you about 1/2 the time you actually need) then its great.
I made (10 hr shifts) 100 a day ave Id say - but days go quick
If you finish early you still get paid for the full shift (does happen once a week)
I lost my job they sacked me, but I don't regret working there I liked it a lot

If you like being rushed and don't crack under pressure driving in busy roads etc you will like it fine
Pros
Days go fast, is bordering on fun sometimes
Cons
Time on your back, no toilet break (that is easy anyway)
Nice workplace
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Hatfield5 November 2018
Its a very good company, tidy , and nice, people there are very supportive and helpful , there is always a good team work everybody is very friendly ,...
Pros
cheap food
Cons
long hours can get ovetimes
Nice and easy
CSTM Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London3 November 2018
Don’t listen to all the people saying that is terrible! Yeah if you are lazy and you can’t be bothered to follow the company rules you will get sacked.
Other than that is a brilliant driving job! You get a nice loaded sprinter and all you need to do is drive and unload. The working hours are very good in my opinion and booking holidays is very easy using their app. Management is always helpful and positive and they seem to really care for the people that are doing their job.The benefits pack is brilliant and you get a very good training before you go on the road.
Free coffee and parking for employees + a really nice chill area with pool table.
Overall I am really enjoying working for Ocado and I am happy to be part of their team
Pros
Free parking, Free Coffee, Good pay, Lovely Managers
Cons
Navigation could be bad
Maintenance Technical Assistant
MaintenanceTechnical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire1 November 2018
Hours: Mon-Fri but one week starting at 6am so getting up in the middle of the night for no extra pay or benefits.

Job role: terrible, should be called deep cleaner. Only advancement avaliable if your face fits.

Management: The worst structure, attitude I have ever experienced in my whole career. Lie till they are blue in the face to you.

Safety: SSOW not kept up to date, expected to crawl under live conveyors to clean so not to disrupt the decanting operation. Objects of food produce flying all over the place.

My advise, if you know the managment you will get on fine. If not, expect to be used & abused.

Career advancement: generally go external for higher positions as the excuse of we have used all our current skill set for the required job roles.
If your lucky to get training to progress you might be lucky to progress.

9 leavers in 6 months off my shift alone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocado. Our community is ready to answer.