Ocado Employee Reviews

Long hours bad salary
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire18 August 2018
Less pay with long hrs of work and no one will ever appreciate you or your team for your hard work. Promoting people is based on god knows what reasons. People are getting sick and tired and no one has motivation to work. People will work hard if they get appreciated as an individual or a team.
Pros
Cons
Long lost
no good work place
ocado (Former Employee) –  dorson11 August 2018
I applied for van driver job and passed driving assessment and THE DBS clean but they didn't give to me job.... big time resist company.
thanks... they treat you dog no look after ... no holidays... just work just work...
Pros
no good
Cons
no good
Very poor place to work
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London11 August 2018
At the beginning everything is sweet you get short routes and easy areas but after first three months they will give you more totes than your van can take I don’t recommend this job to anybody as it is a back braking job you’ll have to deliver to flats with no lift expect even 4 th floor and loads of water they say they can appeal parking tickets when you get one but forget about that you will have to pay it anyway
Management think they are better than you they all started as a CSTM’s so they haven’t got any managerial experience basically treat you like a dog. Money is rubbish expect only between 320-360 depends if you do am or pm shift oh and forget about social life as you gonna have to work almost every weekend so for 320 pounds a week it’s not worth it
Pros
Free coffe
Jobsworth
none (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London9 August 2018
Arrived for interview on time. The guy behind the reception desk completely ignored me because he was on the phone to a driver. After about 15 minutes he finally asked me if I was there for an interview. I said yes, so he phoned someone. A bloke came out and said he couldn't interview me because I was late. I explained I had been on time and his answer was that I should have turned up half an hour early to avoid such a problem. No wonder they're desperate for drivers.
Pros
Cons
Arrogant attitude
ok place to work, just not for me
Personal Shopper Freezer (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire7 August 2018
friendly management and ok place to work, hard work and long hours and not a lot of breaks, ok pay, longish commute for me and the job just isnt for everyone.
Pros
Friendly management
Cons
Long work days
wouldnt recommend
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Andover7 August 2018
a typical day at work is boring but with the staff it makes work considerately better. you have to stand at a station and pick items into totes and that is it.
management dont treat you very well you are pretty much just a number to them aslong as they get the orders picked and packed it doesnt matter if your ill or struggling with any sort of physical or mental health.
you can get promotions within the company but usually this only happens if you dont mind brown nosing your way up.
if you want to be treated with respect by your employers then i would not recommend this job.
Pros
Cons
long hours, bad management.
Lonely and isolated
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Dordon3 August 2018
It was a shock as this was my very first ware house job and the team that trained me were excellent the training and health and safety were on point but when you got put into the warehouse floor is was very different from what they made out it would be i felt very lonely and isolated you couldn't have a conversation with anyone and it became hard to try and make Friends there so i ended up feeling very lonely as i am a person people this may of just been the wrong job for me
Pros
shop where staff got discount of shopping
Cons
long hours, no morale, isolated, very very very lonely
Absolutely Shocking place to work
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Tamworth, Staffordshire2 August 2018
Management don’t care and pin anything that goes wrong on you.

No work/life balance whatsoever and expect to work the majority of the weekends in the set roster. Impossible to book holidays in advance as they’re never available. No flexibility with shifts.

If you have a family with children this is not the place for you.

JUST A NUMBER IN THAT PLACE!
Pros
Cheap canteen
Cons
None at all
Poorly managed and managers don't care
Customer Service Team Member (Delivery Driver) (Current Employee) –  Hatfield1 August 2018
Been working at the Hatfield branch nearly a year. When you first start, the job is all good. You're given like 15 drops in Colchester or 9 in Ipswich. But as time goes on I ended up getting London everyday and a minimum of 24 drops. A 20 minute break which you never really take because you're usually running late. The vans are usually incorrectly loaded and the loaders always moan about fixing it or they say take it how it is. The managers aren't great, I went to one asking for some overtime as I was struggling with money & he told me to get a part time job. 40 hours of evening work gets me £389 before tax. There's been a few occasions when I've gone in and been sent home without pay for Ocado's miscommunications. If you ask for help you won't get it as the managers really don't care & they're rude. 3 days Absense will get you an Absense investigation meeting. Everything you do is recorded on camera in the cab and they will pull you on every thing. If you clock out after your shift finishes you're paid overtime but if you clock in before your shift starts you aren't paid for it.Customer service is always helpful! I could go on but who's really read this far!
Pros
Discounted on site store & weekly pay
Cons
Poor management, poor route planning, poor everything.
Discriminating management
Contact Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire22 July 2018
I loved working here overall as a company I loved the atmosphere and it was a brilliant job lovely people around you amazing training, my time with Ocado was short because I disclosed something before I started the job, I started to have issues and they got rid of me for this reason.
Pros
Money, atmosphere
Cons
Long hours, management

Want to know more about Ocado?

Ask a question
Bad place to work
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire17 July 2018
Just note that every one leaves this job after 2 -3 months To much physical work and very bad pay rate. There is lost of overtime but you wont have the energy to do it. Rude managers who don"t care about you i have work there for 1 year
Stressful but rewarding environment
Customer service team member (Former Employee) –  Stanford on Teme10 July 2018
I found myself to be challenge a lot at ocado which made the long stretches of driving less monotonous, and you were rewarded for your effort. If you are looking for a steady job that pays well with good benefits, that when you leave you can forget about the work and go home to relax then yeah its great. Also there were opportunities to grow with the company if you so choose.
Pros
good bonuses and supportive staff
Cons
changing shifts pattern from lates to earlys
Job as no other
CSTM Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Enfield Lock, Essex10 July 2018
I've worked for Hatfield branch back in 2014 and quit after 8-9 months. 3 months later reapplied to Enfield as it was closer to my address. The difference between those to depots are that Enfield delivered Morrisons goods. Wich means less posh customers, less houses instead you get more flats, more stairs and no lifts.
Job is easy at the begining, no many drops no hard areas but once you improved it gets harder, it gets to the point that you cant no longer do it cus at some point your body gives up on you, mentally and physically. Personally I think that delivery to central London should be prohibited as its not possible to park and deliver anywhere in this place especialy in the time slot company force you to stick to.
Apart of great customer skills and driving abilities you will be required to have ability to calm yourself down very often. Also usful may become to have a lot of physical strength and some fighting skills. Not only to carry the shopping to the top floor of 4 story building while your van is parked half a mile down the road but you may need it if you find yourself in trouble with local mob trying rob your van, as it happeed to me or fuming angry drivers because you blocked the narrow road for 10min due to no parking. I've worked there very short period of time but could write a book about this job. The good think about this company is that ppl are very nice and you get to meet some top guys there. Unfortunately low pay, highly stressful job environment(stress regarding only driving and parking in busy city) and weird hours disqualifies this job in my books.
Pros
being your own boss on the road, early finishes
Cons
low pay, high level of stress, unsociable hours
delivery driver oxford
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire9 July 2018
the van is preloaded for you. there can be delays going out (not a huge problem).
personally for me, I always felt I was 'chasing time' there seems to be no time to drive quietly and in a relaxed manner to get to the next drop.

I always made time it is pretty much job and finish, average approx. 30 -60 mins early finish, you are allowed to go home.....fully paid.

I rarely took a meal break (although its built into the route).
minimal wage with pervert people
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire6 July 2018
minimal wage with pervert people. if you work to make the bonus. the pervert people from there will use the system and move you around to lose the bonus!
Excellent and fast pace environment
Installation Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 July 2018
Good Culture and future opportunities. Company has big plans for the future and is and excellent place to get advance experience in automated warehouses.
Pros
New Technology
Ocado
Customer Service Team Member/Marshall (Former Employee) –  London3 July 2018
Daily duties include getting all of the deliveries in pallettes, loading them unto the van in a timely manner and carefully.

looking at the rota ensuring that enough time is catered for each drop. and over all customer satisfaction
Pay is good
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds1 July 2018
Mananger s don’t Care, all they care about is that you make your delivers . They say if you don’t like it then you can find another job. Call centre very unhelpful
Pros
Pay
Cons
Better than working for a Supermarket
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol30 June 2018
Where I used to work I was on minimum wage and only got paid for the hours I worked, here it's at least a pound more an hour and you get paid more for working evenings, Sundays, over time, but for some reason, not Bank Holidays, I'm not saying it should be time and a half, they could at least make that Sunday rate, or even an extra 50p an hour would make me feel differently about doing it.
It also seems odd that you earn more money for working after 6pm, but get very little for coming in really early the best you get is half an hour at night rate when you come in at 5.30.

Some people complain about losing weekends, where I last worked I worked every weekend, compared to that weekends are more of a thing for me now.

You always work 5 days a week with 2 rest days that seem to come at random times, sometimes you also work early to late shift meaning a good long break between shifts without a rest day.
You can often change your shift times online, as well as book holiday. It's good to get a bit creative on the website booking holiday at strategic times to get yourself long breaks, I tend to get a period of at least 4 days off at least once a month, sometimes you can end up with as many as 5 days off, but only using one day's holiday.
You can move to 10-hour shifts and only work 4 days a week but they tend to be a bit of a slog, it would be good if we could do a mixture of shifts only working two 10 hour shifts a week and get 5 rest days a fortnight.

You come in and your van is loaded for you then you go out to do your route and it's always somewhere different, it's
  more... so big there are many places we cover I've still not been to even after 2 years, the last place I worked I was sick of always being in the same areas.

Compared to where I used to work, the driving standards are a lot better and the vans are a lot cleaner.

It's a good place to work, but for some reason, Bristol Spoke pays less than many others even the Dordon spoke pays more and that's in a less expensive place to live.
The check-in system at the end of the day seems to be really laborious, it can sometimes take over half an hour before you can leave. It just seems odd they make the marshals park the vans for us.
I would consider the Marshal job, but it seems more of a step down than up, they get paid slightly more, but they're unlikely to go home early, meaning per hour they probably earn less than many of the drivers.
Pros
Nice job, tends to be easy, more profetional than supermarkets.
Cons
No extra for coming in early, bank holidays or Saturdays, less money than other spokes for no apparent reason. Takes too long to get checked in
Shocking place company to work for. Simple.
CSTM Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London25 June 2018
I spent over 12 weeks in the Wimbledon depot as a CSTM. What a joke, mangers behind the desk were rude, my evening pay wasn't paid accordingly, when you do 7.5hrs a day you are paid only up to when you finish your round. You have no life.

If you are sick 3 times you are spoken too about weather or not they can authorise these absences or not. Everything you do is watched. Please don't work at Wimbledon they try to talk to you like your a kid.
Pros
Cons
Don't ever work for them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocado. Our community is ready to answer.