Oakman Inns & Restaurants Ltd

Oakman Inns & Restaurants Ltd Employee Reviews

United Kingdom20 reviews
An enjoyable experience
I learnt a lot of soft skills in my time there, which I shall be able to apply to other industries.

The staff were brilliant and everyone carried out their duties diligently.
Pros
Staff meals.
Amazing Business Culture, Ethos and Module
Well earned Top Spot on Publican Best Employers Awards!
An established new concept of the ‘modern public house’ by successfully transforming both historic and modern buildings into contemporary spaces that have a strong sense of identity and integration within the local communities they serve. We apply that same level of care and attention to detail to the provenance of our food and drink, and using only the finest high-quality ingredients that are traceable and responsibly sourced.
Avoid working here
Upon hiring you they promise you so many things which don't get fulfilled, management is very poor and everybody is on a zero hours contract so they make you very aware of that. All this place will give you is instability and unhappiness.
Productive and fun workplace
A fast-paced but enjoyable working environment where no two working days are the same. Excellent products and a company with a real family feel to it.
Lovely Staff
Management are wonderful and supportive to staff members and it's always fun to work there.
Fun workplace
Strong management and flexible working hours. Good online training. Possibility of progression. Fast growing business. Employee discount at other sites.
Hard place to work
Having worked for the company I can say that due to the constant lack of staff and attitudes of many I would not cons this a god move for anyone serious about working in the kitchen
It was a “bang it out” culture that came as a bit of an eye opener
Bad for professionals.
Worked for oakman inns for few years.
Been overworked and underpaid on many occasions.

Management is clueless and lazy.

Most of the workers in the kitchen are brought from Romania and paid minimum wage. Hard working people but full training needed. Hard work that is when you're most of the times understaffed.
Pros
Free food. Staff discounts
Cons
14-17 hr shifts.. understaffed
Not a great place to work
Bad place to work, long hours, staff always call in sick. Low pay, no incentives, terrible management, lazy miserable staff, so badly run, shame as it could be a great place
Amazing Company
Great place to learn and develop.
Company genuinely cares about its people

Decent benefits.

Progression opportunities are very good.

Never have to work more than contracted hours.

Sites are quite rural (but not such a bad thing)

Bonus is very achievable and they actually pay it!
Pros
Development and progression opportunities
Cons
sites are kind of rural
place to work
I love this work place. However sometimes the hours can be unforgiving and hard to get. Its a long way for me to travel but customers and my coworkers are welcoming and fun to work with.
Pros
free food, staff discount, welcoming
Cons
hard to find hours, overworked, on your feet 24/7, sometimes understaffed
Probably the best pub company to work for
Having the chance to work for Oakman Inns have to admit the fact that is a company who's investing in staff especially management .
True values to stand for , CEO is an amazing and humble person who has an hospitality industry background .

Successful company who looks after staff , well done guys
Pros
Good worklife balance, company with real values
Cons
Downside of this industry, people are not passionate about it
very good work place
Learned lots of new things.
Love the job i do, we always have good and not so good times.

Hardest part of the job its been working outside with the sun ant temperatures above the 25.
Pros
Great team
Cons
travel
Amazing company to work for
A typical day at The Anchor is busy, full of all ages and many of our most loyal regulars.

I learned so much working for Oakman Inns, more back of house for example profits & loss.

The management team are supportive and consistent, and nothing is too much to ask for.
Friendly environment
A dynamic organisation with big ambitions and values.

Very innovative and positive about change and time efficiencies.

A welcoming environment with a positive attitude.
Good but could be even better
There is a really good ethos and culture within the company. They promised me progression when I started its the only reason I joined but they never delivered, when I brought it up, I was told none of them were aware about that and the job I would have progressed to had already been filled, conveniently it had been filled by the best friend of two members of management.
Pros
70% off food on shift, but a free lunch is provided
Cons
free lunch often consisted of 3 day old food, not deemed worthy for sale. But good enough for staff.
The idea on the base of Oakman Inns vision is that everything need to be completely focused on the customers satisfaction with a particular attention to the quality of the service, of the drinks and of the food. For reach these goals the company invested a lot of resources for the training of the staff and the managers.
Nice environment to work
Everyday is giving to chefs new opportunities to improve theirs quality of work.I have lerned how to best work in team,how to be a good leader and how to maintain calm in your team in stressfull situations. The management is really cools,they help when you need, Co-workers are alright. For me it doesn't exist any hardest part of the jos,even though others may say is to get all the food out in time,
Productive and fun place
I enjoy working here.Really nice team and atmosphere,everybody helps each other.Nice customers,really good food and environment,
Inconsistent
Come to the Boar, prep for the day, serve and smile, prep for night, serve and smile, close and clean, go home.

I've learned a lot, I've learned to make coffee and cocktails. How to match wine etc.

A particular manager at the Boar is very disrespectful and arrogant. Withholds useful knowledge unnecessarily. Openly recognised as lazy. Difficult to work for.

The other managers are wonderful and passionate. Flawed but forgiven. Easy to work for.

I adore the team at the boar. I'm genuinely in love with at least a third of them.

The rota frequently has a lot of mistakes, people often have to come in off rota. Working for the particular manager is the hardest part.

Laughing with co-workers and customers alike, learning about them are the reasons I love this job.