OAKLANDS COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Oaklands college makes learning fun and interesting.
Curriculum Technician and Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire29 March 2019
As a company we value Equality and Diversity and provide a safe and fun learning enviorment for all the young adults who attend the college and enroll on our courses.
Pros
Very positive place to learn.
Cons
Staff shortages.
A sometimes rewarding but stressfull job
Practical instructor/ technician in construction (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire19 March 2019
. Lesson and workshop preparation.
. Teaching and assessment of students practical tasks.
. Entering feedback to students progression (written and electronically).
. Attending team meeting.
. Interview evenings.
. Open evenings.
. Workshop maintenance.

While my specific work area has a very good staff relationship this cannot be said for the lack of management support especially when dealing with certain student issues.
Pros
Good work colleagues and attractive work enviroment
Cons
lack of college support
Good job starter
Level 4 business admin apprentice (Former Employee) –  Oaklands College23 January 2019
· Taking minutes
· Inputting student and employer data
· Using the college CRM
· Taking phone messages
· Using Outlook and other Microsoft software
· Attending events e.g. business breakfasts, open events etc
· Liaising with employers, students and parents
· Uploading job vacancies Shortlisting candidates
· Helping run CSCS construction health and safety test center
· General admin duties
amazing
Work Experience Student (Current Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire17 November 2018
cleaning out the animals
i have learnt how to take care of different breeds of animals. the most enjoyable of it was learning how to take care of reptiles
Okay.
Nursery worker (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire1 August 2018
Felt like this place was run by emotions rather than logic. People are overworked and mentally beaten down. Staff go above and beyond for the children (nursery) however are not appreciated-hence the large turnover of staff.
Extra hours are not paid and seldom given back.
Younger staff are patronized, people who work hard aren't appreciated, people who don't are.
Pros
Beautuful grounds
Cons
Employees overworked and taken for granted
A great place to work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire13 July 2018
I would recommend working for Oaklands College, great staff & students. They offer a good range of courses to suit all skills and levels. Lots of training opportunities for continued personal development.
Healthy animals and a healthy working environment.
Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire28 February 2018
The people I worked with were very kind and knowledgeable, however they did not know where some pieces of equipment were, of which I would have needed to fully completed tasks.
I was kept busy which I enjoyed.
I was already attending the college so I knew where all the animals were and they were maintained very well.
There was no payment as I was doing work experience.
Pros
The experience of working with various species of animals
Cons
One employee seemed unsociable
Fun
Teaching Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire25 October 2017
It was a good job for a day seeing as it was work experience helping and playing with children is a tough task seeing as there's so many of them but I got through it I am up for any kind of job and ready for the task
Great people and teachers
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City19 October 2017
The teachers at Oaklands college are great they are really helpful and fulfilling they helped me get some great qualifications and I met loads new friends
trainee chef
Trainee Chef (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire14 July 2017
I was studying at oaklands college in small ford for 2 years and one day a week i worked in the stable restaurant. As part of a team we prepared the food, cooked, and served customers this was all part of our study to experience what it is like in a proper working environment
Pros
experience of a working
Supportive and friendly environment
Student Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  St Albans13 June 2017
A typical day would start with coffee with colleagues to discus the day ahead with students arriving just after 9am. Support of students on arrival, taking coats off, checking bags, reading diaries from home and reporting any important messages to Class tutor. Signing in of any medication followed by supporting with personal care and any feeding regimes. Two sessions run during the day, one morning, one afternoon. During this time support is given on a one to one basis following learning targets set by the tutor for particular student. Through out the day personal care, feeding and suction regimes are followed as well as position changes with as little as possible impact on sessions. Students leave just after 3pm and then a staff rota is followed to ensure daily jobs are done.

I have learned to be more patient, to measure progress in small steps, to focus on individual capabilities, rather than disabilities. I have learned the value of teamwork and the importance of each staff role within the unit. I have learned how to work effectively in a multi disciplinary team in order to provide the highest possible care and learning support for each student.

I have found my immediate management supportive, encouraging, motivating and friendly.

The hardest part of the job is building up a learning relationship with a student over two or three years and then saying goodbye, knowing that there will be very few opportunities for them once they leave college. Due to such complicated healthcare needs students passing away unexpectedly. At times due to staff shortages juggling healthcare
  more... needs with educational needs can be very hard.

The most enjoyable is a response from a student, no matter how small! It might be a smile, a movement, a turn of the head especially when it means a small target is met to work towards some form of independent choice. Working together as a team to provide the best educational setting for our students and in the process making good friends.
Pros
Friendly, supportive, motivating
Cons
A dedicated team that provide students the perfect pathway through college
Student Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire12 June 2017
SSA's will assist and deliver to all students highly individualised programmes, so that they can reach their full potential. This a rewarding role in a fun environment with friendly staff
Great College
Access Sociology Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City23 May 2017
A great place to work. The staff, students and the environment blend in a harmonious manner. This makes the college a place where you will always want to work. The atmosphere, mutual respect for one another and educational discipline makes it an envious college for study and work. Anyone who gets the opportunity to be part of Oaklands College should clinch to this opportunity.
Good Atmosphere
Student Placement (Current Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire21 April 2017
Typical day would include doing assignments, assessments and doing routine feeds and spot cleans of the animals on site.
Managing time to get all the animals done in a set time.
hardest part of the job is some of the assignments are quite difficult but the most enjoyable is defiantly seeing the animals.
Pros
animals on site
Cons
distance
excellent team, exceptionally proffessional
Junior Groom (Current Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire24 March 2017
The team is as productive and supportive as is possible, and supports the development of my practical, theoretical and social skills outstandingly well. The Yard Manger maintains all professionalism whilst being completely understanding and friendly. The general work environment is a pleasure to be in and is always entertaining. The hardest part of the job is initially learning how to speak to students in a way which they do not feel patronised but understood and respected. The best part of the job is how supportive the team and superiors are as well as the sense of pride you receive in watching the students, horses and yard develop.
Pros
great pay
Cons
ad-hoc basis
oaklands college
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire6 February 2017
very good I enjoyed my time in house 5 I learnt all the paints etc: primer undercoat and more I feel my time in the house helped my social skills and knowledge of the painting and decorating world
Colleagues are brilliant
Beauty Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire2 February 2017
Staff and students are fantastic and I have been happy working here but it is time for a new challenge after 7 years. I will miss it.
ok place to work
Grounds Person (Former Employee) –  St Albans15 January 2017
Oakland is a ok place to work, the main problems I found was there was no clear direction from management. With being a collage there are good for staff development and keen on health and safety.
Pros
staff development
Cons
no clear direction
Look elsewhere
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire10 December 2016
A typical day is hectic and frustrating! Never enough time to complete tasks but the motto seems to be "just get it done somehow".

I have learned how to work under pressure and prioritise tasks and also to let things slide if I cannot fit them in and they are not important or urgent.

Management try to support tutors but are ineffective as they do not get much support themselves. Everyone is really overworked here.

I have made some great friendships with other tutors and we have supported each other through the years.

Hardest part of the job is that there is no breathing space for teaching staff. Tutors are on the front line and squeezed from above by management requirements and from below by students needs and demands.

Most enjoyable part of the job is that most students are lovely.
THis was a College where I studied for 2 years
Student (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City29 October 2016
In college I learned how to make and edit videos along side learning how to create websites and build and repair computers and cameras. The lecturers where helpful and did their best to support and help the students.
Pros
Helpful treachers
Cons
na

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OAKLANDS COLLEGE. Our community is ready to answer.

OAKLANDS COLLEGE Reviews by Location