OAKLANDS COLLEGE

OAKLANDS COLLEGE Employee Reviews

United Kingdom45 reviews
A good place to work if you did not worry about being very organised. Management is good and there is a lot of opportunity to progress on further in the college
Pros
work-life balance
Cons
low pay
Change was recognised but SMT not prepared to make changes. There was no support dealing with very challenging learners.
Awful experience and not what I would wish on anyone.
Pros
Cons
No support. Threatened regularly by learners. Very low expectations of learners.
Fast paced highly stressful role made better by the wider college staff team and lovely surroundings of both campuses. A college open to address the needs of their students.
fun staff to work with unorganized management at times which are a bit too reliant on the sales consultants at times which allows the pressure to mount.
Rewarding role , working with students in supported learning,also fits in with work, home life, especially having children in school so the school holidays same as colleges term breaks.
Pros
Great students to work with
Cons
Journey
its a good place to learn and to make a good cacreer. most the people are really helpfull and caring. you get to learn alot and the sky is the limit. pay is really poor tho
Pros
good benifits
Cons
ask to much off you in the end with no extra pay
Its a good starting point. The College seems to be growing. There are lots of potental but opportunities are not tapped into.

I enjoyed working here but then again am self motived and very independent did not need much collaboration. Found this collaboration with others missing.
Worked here years and in the past 5 years the place has gone seriously downhill in how staff are treated. Awful blame culture, uncaring attitude, no support, authoritative management style. Staff morale extremely low across all areas.
i have been studing there for just around a year now and its a nice place to study however i feel somwtimes it can be very disorganised and sometimes teacher are very rude to students
As a company we value Equality and Diversity and provide a safe and fun learning enviorment for all the young adults who attend the college and enroll on our courses.
Pros
Very positive place to learn.
Cons
Staff shortages.
. Lesson and workshop preparation.
. Teaching and assessment of students practical tasks.

. Entering feedback to students progression (written and electronically).

. Attending team meeting.

. Interview evenings.

. Open evenings.

. Workshop maintenance.

While my specific work area has a very good staff relationship this cannot be said for the lack of management support especially when dealing with certain student issues.
Pros
Good work colleagues and attractive work enviroment
Cons
lack of college support
Wasn't too bad.
Did get bit by a snake! Luckily it wasn't poisonous. The staff were very helpful and taught me a lot of new things about animals.

Did get a bit boring since I was doing the same thing over and over again.
· Taking minutes
· Inputting student and employer data

· Using the college CRM

· Taking phone messages

· Using Outlook and other Microsoft software

· Attending events e.g. business breakfasts, open events etc

· Liaising with employers, students and parents

· Uploading job vacancies Shortlisting candidates

· Helping run CSCS construction health and safety test center

· General admin duties
cleaning out the animals
i have learnt how to take care of different breeds of animals. the most enjoyable of it was learning how to take care of reptiles
Felt like this place was run by emotions rather than logic. People are overworked and mentally beaten down. Staff go above and beyond for the children (nursery) however are not appreciated-hence the large turnover of staff.
Extra hours are not paid and seldom given back.

Younger staff are patronized, people who work hard aren't appreciated, people who don't are.
Pros
Beautuful grounds
Cons
Employees overworked and taken for granted
I would recommend working for Oaklands College, great staff & students. They offer a good range of courses to suit all skills and levels. Lots of training opportunities for continued personal development.
The people I worked with were very kind and knowledgeable, however they did not know where some pieces of equipment were, of which I would have needed to fully completed tasks.
I was kept busy which I enjoyed.

I was already attending the college so I knew where all the animals were and they were maintained very well.

There was no payment as I was doing work experience.
Pros
The experience of working with various species of animals
Cons
One employee seemed unsociable
It was a good job for a day seeing as it was work experience helping and playing with children is a tough task seeing as there's so many of them but I got through it I am up for any kind of job and ready for the task
The teachers at Oaklands college are great they are really helpful and fulfilling they helped me get some great qualifications and I met loads new friends
I was studying at oaklands college in small ford for 2 years and one day a week i worked in the stable restaurant. As part of a team we prepared the food, cooked, and served customers this was all part of our study to experience what it is like in a proper working environment
Pros
experience of a working
A typical day would start with coffee with colleagues to discus the day ahead with students arriving just after 9am. Support of students on arrival, taking coats off, checking bags, reading diaries from home and reporting any important messages to Class tutor. Signing in of any medication followed by supporting with personal care and any feeding regimes. Two sessions run during the day, one morning, one afternoon. During this time support is given on a one to one basis following learning targets set by the tutor for particular student. Through out the day personal care, feeding and suction regimes are followed as well as position changes with as little as possible impact on sessions. Students leave just after 3pm and then a staff rota is followed to ensure daily jobs are done.

I have learned to be more patient, to measure progress in small steps, to focus on individual capabilities, rather than disabilities. I have learned the value of teamwork and the importance of each staff role within the unit. I have learned how to work effectively in a multi disciplinary team in order to provide the highest possible care and learning support for each student.

I have found my immediate management supportive, encouraging, motivating and friendly.

The hardest part of the job is building up a learning relationship with a student over two or three years and then saying goodbye, knowing that there will be very few opportunities for them once they leave college. Due to such complicated healthcare needs students passing away unexpectedly. At times due to staff shortages juggling healthcare
 - more...
Pros
Friendly, supportive, motivating