Nuffield Health

Nuffield Health Employee Reviews for Personal Trainer

Personal Trainer27 reviews
United Kingdom27 reviews
fitness management were great but gym managers were too much of dictators. hours long due to the nature of the industry. applied for fitness manager twice with no progression in four years. that is why I ultimately left
They don’t care about there staff know they can replace anyone so very hard for anyone to ever get a pay increase or move up within the business. Due to being under staffed everyone has far to much work so is a very stressful environment to work in. Personal trainers get paid a tiny percentage of what the client pays so have to work very very long hours to get a wage you can live off.
Was very well looked after and well supported within the company.The staff were very friendly and helping me get clients and doing there best to help me get started the right way.
Nobody really value your efforts and after you quit don't wait for a good recommendation letter or smth else.
Nobody care about you as a person, only standarts and and work 'like there is no tomorrow'.

💯% I don't remommend you even try.
I worked for both a corporate branch of Nuffield Health in Goldman Sachs and one in Baltimore Wharf before it became a consumer gym.
Working at Goldman Sachs was great, the pay was decent, the team was small and close knit and worked well together. There was opportunity to grow and learn as an individual starting out in her fitness career, however progression was limited as Personal Training was not part of the job description.

Working at Baltimore Wharf was stressful, there was little to no social life, management at the time was extremely questionable and the relationship between coworkers wasn't always positive.
Staff turnover is huge. The atmosphere is horrendous & draining. Management is very poor, do not know how to run a gym, love to micro-manage. No care for staff & morale. Most the equipment is broken or dated and there is a lack of equipment especially in weights area. A positive would be, it has a good pool & some good members of staff which will likely leave in the near future. :)
nasty unfriendly two face people. Management do not have a clue and their is no training given. Everyone loves it in the beginning but it doesn't last long till you really find out what kind of place it is to work in.
In my club, most PT are given a 8 hours contract, some were given 24 hours. Most of us started with 24 hours and they slowly reduce it to 8 (if you have a 8 hours contract), and you will have to sale PT sessions to live. There were very little support on how to sale PT or how to deliver gym floor classes, which you need especially if you are new to the field. For a 8 hours shift, you are packed with inductions, gym floor classes and to deliver health MOT to clients. The rest of the time you will need to clean the gym, despite they want you to interact with the members as well.

You have to deliver at least 8 PT sessions weekly to keep your job after the 3 months trial, which to be fair isn't that hard, but this is the thing which constantly pressuring you in the back of the head, and make you keep pushing the overpriced PT sessions to those who don't really need them. The PT sessions cost £38 an hour, if client is on monthly direct Debit with 4 sessions a month, and up to £48 per session if they would like up to 10 sessions. On top of the membership, it can costs up to £220 a month in my club. PT are given very little freedom to run their own PT business, i.e. PT cannot charge their own price or package, cannot run the classes they are good at etc, despite the company always try to convince you that this is your own business, which is clearly not.

They also encourage you to come outwith your shift to interact with potential PT clients; lets not forget PT get paid only if the session has been delivered, not when the clients pays the club to buy those sessions, therefore,
 - more...
Pros
Free membership and training courses
Cons
Low pay, spirit hours, carry work to home
My husband has been working as a personal trainer for Nuffield for almost a year and I am appalled by the reality of his position compared to what was advertised. I can only share my perspective on one gym but feel it is my responsibility to share. In our experience, what other reviewers have written about Nuffield only being interested in members, numbers and profit is entirely correct. They seem to care very little about the wellbeing of their trainers.

Firstly let me warn any newly qualified PTs - you will not be able to earn the salary that Nuffield advertises. PTs are contracted for 8 hours of shift work per week at minimum wage and all other earnings come from clients. At face value this is fine, but my husband's gym employs far too many trainers which prevents them from building up a large enough client base to earn a decent salary. On top of this, the percentage of client payments that Nuffield takes is massive for the first few sessions per week. As most of the trainers struggle to get above this number they never actually reach a decent hourly rate. In reality, many of my husband's colleagues work a second job to supplement their income from Nuffield. This is a ridiculous position to be faced with if you are serious about a career in personal training and are committed to achieving excellence. My husband is struggling to earn the equivalent of working 40 hours a week at minimum wage for offering a top quality service that is regularly complimented by members. Nuffield's trainers are the face of it's gym and it amazes me how little they are valued.

Has all of
 - more...
Pros
Employee perks
Cons
Poor pay, little support
Absolutely terrifying that the company's 'core values' are well-being. The hours you need to work to succeed are not healthy as they take so much of what you earn for them. This was my first job after being in the fitness industry for over 5 years that I felt was actually detrimental to my health and well-being, where I didn't grow or learn much of anything other than, how bullying and corrupt a management team could be. The only positive is they provide training for you, which I enjoyed and was keen to pursue more of the many courses they promise you can go on free of charge, although the lack of simple communication skills may never get you there. I was spoken down to, sworn at, actually verbally threatened by my manager at one point. I have been pursuing a case against this since leaving however even the general managers are all in on the two faced act they try to play, the company knows you can not afford to take them to court.
Pros
'free' training courses available
Cons
corrupt company
Expect to earn no more than minimum wage for 3 days worked each week.

Expect to be paid 30% of class rate compared to external instructors.

Expect to only take home 30% of what members pay per PT session for first 5 sessions each week, 50% for next 5 sessions, 60% for any sessions after first 11 delivered each week.

Minimal internal promotion to members. You are not allowed to promote privately via social media or offer services externally.

Will be required to work minimum of 2 shifts per week when starting. Shifts can be booked back-to-back with classes, Health MOT's, Programmes etc for minimum wage only.

Loved doing the work, appalled to find myself taking home less pay than receptionist on a weekly basis despite working more hours.
Pros
Free gym mmebership
Cons
Very poor pay and support to PT's
Good company to work for in order to build you experience. However, the management can be poor at times with individual differences getting "out-of-hand" and making the work environment unpleasant. Furthermore, evidence-based practice is not prioritized as management only focus on numbers/targets and do not focus on individual needs. Still, there are good benefits with Nuffiled such as the "perks at work" scheme (Discounts on cinema tickets, clothing, ect.), free private health care and cycle to work schemes. Please bare in mind that this is my experience so far with Nuffield and therefore isn't representative of all the Nufffield's in the UK.
Working here has got to have been the worst, I could never do what was agreed with me before joining the company as everyone will turn on one another. Staff are only a number as they are concerned and if you say you can't work a shift you get the cold shoulder and you are expected to be available to work around senior managers friends, so i had enough and left. I promise you that new pt's won't last more than 6 months here changes are needed listen to your staff
Pros
Free membership but thats it
Cons
Senior managers and atmosphere
15 February 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
We have a warm and welcoming team of 10 Personal Trainers at our Surbiton Gym. The team have a variety of years of service, with many of the team having worked with us for over 7 years.

As a Personal Trainer with Nuffield Health you'll also be supported by excellent support and development to help you grow in your role - which is great for those looking to start their career or those who are experience and wish to continually build on their skills.

Should you wish to share any feedback in more detail, please email sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com
Don’t work for this company. Management are incompetent, rude, and very underhanded. Some staff are lovely but most are vile. Atmosphere is dreadful. Unappreciated and treated with the silent treatment if you won’t come in at a moments notice. Avoid!!! Very one sided, different rules for everyone especially if your face fits with the management. Cannot stress enough AVOID....
Pros
Gym membership that’s it
Cons
Long hours, hard get time off
7 January 2019
We're very disappointed to hear your negative feedback as this doesn't reflect the values and culture we strive to uphold. If you'd like to discuss any of your experience in more detail then please reach out to sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com
Get treated absolutely awfully, poor pay and made to work long days.
No loyalty and the management are laughable and make some ridiculous decisions.

I would not recommend this company to anyone.
its a great company to work for if your doing well and hitting your targets however if your not then its not so great and your not treated well as all theyre looking to do is make money for themselfs
Nuffield bought the existing private gym that I worked in. I found them to be unstructured, lacking in business culture and employees were easily replaced.

Very simply they were only ever worried about numbers of members and money.
Pros
they spend money on the premises
Cons
badly structure, badly paid, lack of care for employees
5 April 2018
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're sorry to hear you had a negative experience as this definitely doesn't reflect our values and culture, unfortunately, with acquiring an existing site there is often a period of change. We have a solid career structure for Fitness employees which will be embedded, giving people support and plenty of opportunities for development.
If you'd like to discuss your feedback in more detail so that we can make any necessary improvements, please contact sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com
Place to be if you have a passion for Health and Fitness. However in regards to salary it can be tough at the very beginning depending on the site you are at but with perseverance you can do well with the company.
Pros
Great members and staffs
Cons
Can be tough at the start like any other job involving business development.
8 January 2018
Thank you for sharing your recent experiences, it's great to hear that you enjoy our health and fitness culture. Our Personal Trainer salaries are competitive within the market and in addition we offer great benefits to support this. Wishing you all the best for your career with us.
I have learned a lot but management is not organised. They tend to bury their heads in the sand when problems arise as opposed to being proactive. The procedures are followed when it suits them.
Pros
training
Cons
poor management
5 September 2017
Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear about your negative experience as it doesn't reflect the values and culture we strive to offer our people. We are keen to discuss your feedback in more detail, if you are happy to then please get in touch with sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com in our HR department.
when you work as a personal trainer is good and good paid
when you work as a fitness instructor it is a bit boring nothing to do in general.

Not very good environment
Pros
no pay rent
Cons
long hours shift compulsory also if you are pt
30 May 2017
Thank you for your recent feedback, we value all types of feedback received and look to make improvements where possible. If you'd like to discuss any of your experience in more detail then please get in touch with sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com
Champagne taste that operates on lemonade money.

A company that expects that you give all your time and effort for the "needs of the business" but the pay is terrible and therefore the staff are too young and lack experience.