Nuffield Health Employee Reviews

Misleading opportunity
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dorking, Surrey3 January 2019
Zero warmth or interraction in the team at the people hub in Dorking.

As a new member of the team you will not get an acceptable level of help or guidance - if you ask the simplest questions in relation to getting started this is frowned upon.

Very unhappy vibe in the office space. Very cold and intimidating.

Many of the team in particular the senior administrators and team leaders are dismissive and unapproachable.

Very disappointing work environment.
Inexperienced and juvenile management.

I observed some very unprofessional behaviour which I was appalled at
Pros
Moderate salary, free gym membership
Cons
Lack of diversity in team, poor attitudes in team, very unwelcoming
24 January 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We've very recently conducted an employee survey on this team which showed fantastic high levels of engagement. Training and development are key for us, this team has recently all been through some intensive system training and have had additional highly valuable training in Great Conversations and Insights.
In addition to this structure, our leaders in the time hold regular huddles and offer continual team support.
We're disappointed you didn't feel you benefited from these experiences if there is any further feedback you'd like to share then please let us know via sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com

They don't practice what they preach.
Administration (Former Employee) –  Epsom, Surrey8 February 2019
Nuffield Health is supposed to be about health and wellbeing, and 'care' values. As an employee, I did not experience any of these in practice. There is a lot of lip-service given to these concepts, but senior managers do not have the ability, vision or imagination to implement them within their own workplace.

Management is very good at talking the talk, but many of us found that this was shallow. People management techniques shockingly basic and poor.

If you've never worked anywhere else you may find it to be a reasonable starting point, but if you have worked elsewhere then prepare to be disappointed.
Cons
Poor training, poor salary, poor communication
14 February 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
We live and breathe our CARE values in most of our practices, through our on-site learning and development academy, personal development reviews to our benefits and recognition schemes.
All of our leaders go through a unique training course to help them embed our values through their day to day leadership and hold regular leadership sessions with their wider teams for a constant open and informative relationship.
We value listening to all of our feedback, so if you'd like to share anything in more detail then please email sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com

Not great for progression
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Surbiton19 November 2018
I have been a lifeguard here for a few years and i can honestly say not only the worst place to work but impossible for progression. They ask you to work constant overtime for no real recognition and when there is a opportunity to progress don't be fooled they are only reserved for managers friends. Managers don't seen to know how to treat other staff very well and when someone good and passionate does join the company they will exploit them then get rid after they bail them out. Senior managers will bully out others and force them to resign and make them feel that they are worthless.

They expect gold for nothing and the pay is shocking, I had no choice but to leave the company as i am now on a better job and salary away from the company.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
favortism
7 January 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
We can definitely confirm this experience does not reflect our values and general culture.
We have an excellent network for internal careers and actively support development through our personal reviews.
Recognition plays a key part in our values, our CARE recognition scheme allows our people to freely recognise people for their work at all our sites across the country.
Should you wish to share any feedback in more detail please email sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com

Beware
Booking Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire16 January 2019
The salary and benefits are good I enjoyed helping the patients,booking appointments for them and making sure their mental wellbeing is improving.
However, if you want your mental health to deteriorate, be stressed, get lack of sleep due to stress then this is the job for you.
When I started work I was promised training, but 90% of the time I got no training, I was left to sit on my own fiddling around with the computer system familiarising myself on how to use it. I got past from pillar to post to different people as the team leader was far too busy to train new starters. If your face fits then its one rule for one person and a different rules for the rest.
Its so stressful due to lack of staff yet the company has taken more caseloads. And when you get behind on your work (baring in mind your doing the work of 10 people alone) you get called into a meeting and like a school kid get a talking to.
I have been so stressed, its affected my health, when I requested for a reduce in my working hours I get told I'm not allowed yet their are staff there who work part time. When they start caring for the overall health of their employees then im sure their staff turnover wont be this bad.
To think they help patient with mental health? Yet they create mental health issues for their very own employees.
Pros
salary
Cons
management, stress, favourism, backchat
14 February 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we're disappointed to hear that you've had a negative experience with us.
The health & wellbeing of our employee is at the absolute heart of what we do, encouraged through our general teams and management but also supported by our benefits too, which include emotional wellbeing support, gym membership etc.
Please feel free to share any further feedback with us directly to sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com

Great chance for development
Mobile Fitness and Wellbeing Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh7 January 2019
great place to work, meet lots of clients, many different fun and engaging tasks from classes to MOT's to programs and gym maintenance and cleaning. Active.
Pros
Great company benefits
Cons
can be tiring if you are not well rested.
Poor management wouldn’t recommend
Creche Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire6 September 2018
I spent a long time working hard for Nuffield health and in that time I recieved little to no respect and was would extra hard to make up for the poor management and running of my club. Would not recommend a job here.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
People Support Centre
HR (Current Employee) –  Dorking, Surrey13 February 2019
Nuffield Health is a great place to work, the people are nice and management are supportive. There are good development opportunities if you are willing to work hard and they encourage you to set objectives and progress.

The roles are generally very busy so you must thrive off a fast-paced environment but personally I like to be busy! The team leaders, management and senior staff members in the PSC are friendly and approachable, who set clear direction and are good communicators- so you receive plenty of support.
Pros
Nice people, great progression oppertunities
Good place to learn, Hard to progress, Problems with some Managment Teams.
Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire23 July 2018
I have worked for Nuffield for 5 years. The amount I have learnt from my position and from the one good manager I have had has been amazing. I wouldn't change it for the world. My career has thrived until the point of trying to move clubs to a bigger club or contract.

The problem that many of us in my position face is that it is very hard to progress on. Especially from a smaller site to a larger site. The managers prefer to promote from within which is good in ways but makes it very difficult for other Nuffield staff to advance their careers. Managers choosing 'Friends' or less experienced personnel over qualified more experience staff can be very de-motivating. The lack of knowledge within the companies different managers on positions and where someone with a different title would fit in another club/workplace is way off the mark.

I am afraid that a lot of the good managers will be moving to other companies because of this even though Nuffield are a good company to work for despite its changing state. They may find they are losing some hard working and amazing managers who put their heart into Nuffield just because they cant progress their careers. This is because of some Managers not stepping up to the mark or failing the company by not putting it first in regards to the recruitment process and overall Nuffield way and living the values.
Pros
Benefits, work/life balance, Information given.
Cons
Salary/payrises, Progression, some Senior Managers
Worst place I have ever worked
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire19 December 2018
Don’t work for this company. Management are incompetent, rude, and very underhanded. Some staff are lovely but most are vile. Atmosphere is dreadful. Unappreciated and treated with the silent treatment if you won’t come in at a moments notice. Avoid!!! Very one sided, different rules for everyone especially if your face fits with the management. Cannot stress enough AVOID....
Pros
Gym membership that’s it
Cons
Long hours, hard get time off
7 January 2019

We're very disappointed to hear your negative feedback as this doesn't reflect the values and culture we strive to uphold. If you'd like to discuss any of your experience in more detail then please reach out to sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com

Poor
Senior Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dorking, Surrey19 March 2018
I feel personally my time and nuffield was very positive, we got relocated to a new site which was 50 miles from the original, new business managers who did not care about supporting the staff transition, no consideration for the experience they were losing. Only temporary travel allowances were put in place and one these had ended it was impossible to try stay with the salary they provided. I had colluages whose notices weren’t even acknowledged by the business managers, nor were there efforts they put into the company. The management team had no experience in the job of the team they were managing so could my assist with standard day to day tasks. I felt this was very negative and the turn over in staff looks very very poor on the company as a whole.
Pros
Gym membership, progression was quick.
Cons
Staff aren’t looked after
21 March 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our new customer contact centre in Dorking has been opened just 9 miles away from our Support Centre in Epsom. You can read about the exciting opportunities this brings here; http://www.nuffieldhealthcareers.com/our-people/news/2018/02/nuffield-health-comes-to-dorking. We appreciate that changes do bring challenges and unfortunately the location may not have been able to suit all of our people.If you'd like to discuss any of your feedback in more detail then we'd be happy to hear from you, please reach out to sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com

Not what I was expecting
NURSERY NURSE (Current Employee) –  Wandsworth26 May 2018
Benefits aren't even worth it, long hours of work, lots of unnecessary online training, members are not the greatest (as every other place) but I just have the hunch that the ones at Nuffield are just extra demanding
Pros
free gym membership
9 July 2018

We're disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. We have a number of excellent benefits which can be found here; www.nuffieldhealth.com/mybenefits. Our Nursery Nurse staff also benefit from often being supported on site with clinical staff, having extra space with the studios, swimming lessons, nutritional advice on hand and are part of a large nationwide nursery team with excellent prospect for career development.
If you would like to discuss any of your feedback in more detail, please reach out to sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com

I really enjoyed working as a receptionist/ custmers were love.ly
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Colliers Wood, Greater London10 September 2018
I really enjoyed the job and making people feel welcome and being busy all times.
Could be very enjoyable.
I had never worked in such a big company before and with so many people and most of the time it was good, If the management was consistent the work places would of been happier.
Employees would of been less confused about rules.
I am a great believer in costumer is always right, so making the costumer happy is goal so the business runs a lot better and costumers will always come back to a friendly, happy ,caring and people that actually listen and take note and try thereb best to make it a good place to be.
Pros
free membership
Cons
very unorgansed and unfriendly work colleges
Challneged organisation
Customer Team. (Current Employee) –  Epsom10 May 2018
Nuffield Health does not seem to know where it is heading as an organsiation. Programmes and projects appear and disappear at an alarming rate with little to non existant planning involved. The work life balance is awful. With a 24/7 email culture and high expectations from everyone regardless of circumstance. Management do not seem to know what they want out of the organisation. The alignment of private healthcare and charitable status is confused and different elements want a focus on different things with no cohesion. Which makes it confusing from an external perspective.
Pros
On site gym at head office
Cons
bad work/life balance. No real strategic direction
30 May 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We're on an exciting journey as an organisation at the moment, although this has come with some changes, we have a multitude of exciting projects and plans underway. You can watch a video about our journey here; https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/about-us.
Work-life balance is something we've had recent very positive feedback on from our employees. In Epsom, we have a great flexible working culture which is supported by management.
If you have any feedback you'd like to discuss in more detail please reach out to sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com

Best move I made
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  West Byfleet, Surrey17 February 2019
Wow what can I say I can remember getting a call from a manager saying he saw my CV and asked me in for a interview to be a duty manager for them I didn't even apply for the role. I went in and I never had such a relaxing interviews with both the GM and DGM and did my move work out for me yes it did.

Whilst working here I felt so welcomed and I worked with so many great managers at my time there. I have made so many life long friends who I speak to today and I have gone to so special events outside the business like birthdays, weddings etc. I learnt so many skills from my GM and was taught so many area's in the business, I consider him a friend more than a manger. Like many staff members I consider them as friends.

I felt that I have out grown the site and decided to move to another company to try this promoted role as it is in my career path. Whilst I would love to return I won't be going back as DM only because I would be going backwards not forwards.

My only criticisms are that the rota's can be very one sided at times where it is based around managers personal lives, sales do seem to be a top priority and the pay is quite low for the role. But other than that if your looking to be DM then West Byfleet is going to be a good thing for you.

Advise to management

Maybe just a thought try getting the DM's doing an equal amount of earlys and lates and also with sales don't just pass the boring parts of the role to them
Pros
Free membership and made some life long freinds
Cons
low pay, sales orientated and slightly unfair rotas
Terrible company
Health Care Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex20 January 2019
No support, no leadership, just flogged for every last inch they can get out of you....would not recommend working for this company, there are plenty of other well organised units that you could benefit from.
Pros
Going home every night
Cons
Long hours, no lunch or breaks.
Excellent company
Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  West Yorkshire8 February 2018
I have now worked for NH for over two years.NH have been by far the best company to work for in the fitness industry by far. The ne improvements and planning for 2018 onwards seem exciting and will lead to big things if exce it’s right without other the top saving and price cuts. Pay is low but it is in any fitness company. I do expect an higher pay for what I do Day to Day. I also travel between two sites and this is a long distance so Looking at travel expenses would of been nice gesture.
Pros
Health care scheme and staff benefits
Cons
Low pay
5 March 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's really positive to hear your thoughts on the changes as this can be a difficult time for some. We have a great journey and vision which you can learn more about here; https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/about-us.

Nuffield Health
Account Director (Former Employee) –  Manchester29 January 2019
Massive disconnect between corporate, business and clinical teams. Salaries not at industry standard and very poor leadership at the mid level- culture is obsolete. The business is too complex to consider worthwhile change and

''Not-for-profit'' organisation where sales teams get bonuses? A trading charity where profits are reinvested into the company, social innovation? Social inclusion?
14 February 2019

Thank you for your feedback.
We are currently on an exciting journey of change at Nuffield Health, in which we are transitioning to a joined-up approach between all of our business areas to offer a better experience internally but also an exciting proposition to our customers.
We are really proud of our not-for-profit status as it enables us to re-invest in our business and our people. You can read more about this status and some of the exciting social impact projects we have in place here; https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/about-us

Had to watch my back 24/7
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Surbiton, Greater London1 February 2019
Working here has got to have been the worst, I could never do what was agreed with me before joining the company as everyone will turn on one another. Staff are only a number as they are concerned and if you say you can't work a shift you get the cold shoulder and you are expected to be available to work around senior managers friends, so i had enough and left. I promise you that new pt's won't last more than 6 months here changes are needed listen to your staff
Pros
Free membership but thats it
Cons
Senior managers and atmosphere
15 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
We have a warm and welcoming team of 10 Personal Trainers at our Surbiton Gym. The team have a variety of years of service, with many of the team having worked with us for over 7 years.
As a Personal Trainer with Nuffield Health you'll also be supported by excellent support and development to help you grow in your role - which is great for those looking to start their career or those who are experience and wish to continually build on their skills.
Should you wish to share any feedback in more detail, please email sarah.williams@nuffieldhealth.com

Poor management and leadership
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent27 January 2019
Made to feel like a number and no work life balance. Free membership to the gym but no spare time to use it! Excellent hardworking staff are leaving. Less you do more you are thought of!
Pros
Going home
Cons
Poor leadership and very poor morale
Good Company to work for
Food & Beverage Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Manchester9 November 2018
Overall good company to work for.... seems that the overall management running of Nuffield isn't the best when it comes to the gym sector, Nuffield are specialist in the private health care and are using the gyms to expand their name
Pros
free gym memberships
Cons
Not the best run company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nuffield Health. Our community is ready to answer.