NSPCC Employee Reviews

Unethical and far from employee friendly
Child Protection Practitioner (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom13 September 2018
You're just a number. You'll work hard, believing you are still doing something purposeful in spite of the NSPCC's narcissistic agenda only to be thrown out with the trash.

No compassion empathy or interest in the well-being of staff.

The NSPCC is essentially the Kim Kardashian of the charity world - it only cares the media representation and covers up the reality of a questionable service that has no professional body to hold it accountable.

Bullying is rife as is discriminatory practice.

The fundraising team work hard to raise money for the charity and the NSPCC is great at finding ways to waste it.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Everything else
21 September 2018

Thank you for your comments. We are always keen to listen to the views of our staff and seek to create a positive working environment where everyone feels valued. We are therefore disappointed that you feel as you do about your employment with the NSPCC.

With regard to the services we deliver to children and families, as you will know Children’s Services Practitioners and their managers work in accordance with Practice Standards drawn from social work professional standards. Regular supervision, quality assurance and inspection processes provide appropriate and robust oversight. We are mindful of the efforts colleagues in Fundraising make to secure funds, as you have highlighted and recognise the need for us all to be responsible stewards of the money generously donated by our supporters. We continually review expenditure to ensure we are maximising our financial resources and through evaluation of our services we are better able to assess the impact to ensure we are focussing our efforts where these are most needed.

We take the well-being of our staff seriously and seek to investigate and resolve issues raised by staff. We are currently doing a piece of work focussing on our culture and bringing the NSPCC’s organisational values to life. We believe this will further enhance the working environment for staff and volunteers and that everyone who works for us will feel inspired, capable and empowered to play their part in delivering our mission. We regret that your experience of working for the NSPCC has fallen short of this aspiration.

Extremely rewarding
Charity Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Peterborough6 September 2018
Love talking to children. The Nspcc is extremely supported by so many people. People will always want to help children. But there are more and more we don’t know about.
Pros
Term time
Cons
Salary
14 September 2018

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is lovely to read about employees who are enjoying such a positive experience of working at the NSPCC. We have recently been engaging with and listening to our people in relation to our pay model and our pay, reward and recognition policies are currently under review. We always welcome feedback that enables us to improve and do better so that we can attract the best people to take forward our work for and with children.

Walk away
HelpLine Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays25 August 2018
Have to listen to people all day on phone telling you how they have been abused, how their children have been abused, people telling you they have abused others....
You get no emotional support from colleagues because if they did support you then management would tell them off!
You also get told off for not working hard because you need a few minutes to get your emotions back into order.
Treated like an idiot.
De-skilled,
Under valued
micro managed
BULLY tactics by ALL managers and Team Leaders.
I was a SW for 20+ years and was having my reports and emails checked by a team leader whose only other job was as a nursery nurse!
Pros
Once in a while you make a difference to 1 child
Cons
bullying, emotional blackmail
30 August 2018

Many thanks for your comments. I am sorry to hear the advice and support provided by shift managers unhelpful. As you rightly indicate the helpline is a high demand working environment where staff are committed to providing the very best support and assistance to the public with concerns for vulnerable children. The success of the service is down to the hard work of all colleagues who come to us from diverse professional child care backgrounds as well as social work, such multidisciplinary approaches bring wealth of skills and knowledge to the service and ultimately better outcomes for children. Additionally the helpline also provides a career path for those in other none practice helpline roles supporting them to develop their skills to become practitioners.

Both managers and practitioners work closely side-by-side managing the shifts and responding to the public. The ethos and practice on shift is one of support where practitioners can seek assistance at any time and where managers are active in their oversight and available to provide such guidance as necessary. The helpline’s comprehensive supportive package provided to all new starters is shaped to ensure that they have the skills and knowledge to practice proficiently. Our use of peer mentors and line management practice, including regular structured supervision, illustrates the importance we place on ongoing practice and emotional support for all within a fast moving service. I am sorry that you felt that this approach was perhaps something you were unaccustomed too and did not meet your needs.

We continue to  more... work to strengthen our culture of openness where all members are valued for their individual and collective contribution, bullying in any form is not tolerated, as such we take the concerns you raise very seriously. If you would like to discuss your time we would find that helpful, the NSPCC is a learning organisation and evolves and improves its practice from being informed. John Cameron, Head of Helplines (jcameron@nspcc.org.uk) would be very keen to talk with you to understand more regarding your experience.  less

Good organisation to work for
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland9 July 2018
Very busy and demanding and can be hard at times on the emotional side
Opportunities are there to be taken if you want to learn and advance. Can be tough at times but great team spirit
Pros
Education
Cons
can be hard emotionally
Productive workplace
Volunteer Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 June 2018
My typical day at work entailed replying to emails from young people regarding their concerns that they may have, whether it be school problems, bulliying, relationships etc and providing the young people with advice and post signing them to any supporting links.
Rewarding
Helpline Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 April 2018
Amazing training, and team support during professional development. Limiting hours/shift availability as volunteers are plentiful but very rewarding work.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Effect stress has on well being
fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire22 March 2018
good way to raise money, everyone had fun and a lot of money was raised for those in selected charities. good atomosphere, filled with lots of support and different activities to make the day more fun.
Volunteering
VOLUNTEER MASSAGE THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 March 2018
Volunteer work with the NSPCC is a brilliant achievement on both parts. the staff are all committed and friendly, with a great level of support for the volunteer team.
Worst employer ever.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Hinckley, Leicestershire27 February 2018
Just an awful place to work.

Over worked, underpaid and taken for granted.
Employees dealing with children were often under trained and sometimes didn’t have the relevant checks.

No job security and bullying within the organisation was rife!
Staff turnover was huge
Pros
Giving back to society
Cons
Stress levels!
Not much cop
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  London7 February 2018
Limited career advancement meant I was in the same role for seven years, but with an ever increasing work load.

Management culture is very closed-off and pally pally. Promotions and recruitment take place furtively.

Poor inter-department engagement.

Best part was the friends I made.
Pros
Newly refurbished building
Cons
Long hours for no additional pay

Want to know more about NSPCC?

Ask a question
Bullying Of Staff London HQ
Corporate Services (Former Employee) –  London21 October 2017
The Organisation wants the public and people who donate to it too believe its a professional caring charity however its a shame it doesn't treat its staff well. During the years I worked there both myself and other members of staff were bullied constantly to the point I resigned as my health suffered. HR refused to acknowledge or deal with my complaint. They simply acted as gatekeepers for protecting the charities image. The Charity actually made its own Hr department redundant which actually were caring and helpful.

the whole Management structure is flawed and most of the management in my department were inexperienced at best and had no people skills .

Long serving staff were made redundant or forced out and cheaper wages were paid to their replacements

I would advise anyone who values their health to avoid this employer at all cost.
Pros
Good Holiday allowance
Cons
Long hours, low morale, Poor Management Structure
Work of very sensitive nature
Volunteer of very sensitive nature work (Former Employee) –  Plymouth2 October 2017
You need nerves of steel here to work with abused and neglected children who often but not get separated from their families.

It was at times quite challenging and traumatic to deal with.

Back then, you could achieve professional academic counselling skills qualifications to open many career avenues.

There were also, happy fun times working with colleagues. The management was excellent and very professional with different departments to each work structure.
Pros
Achieved an academic professional qualification.
Cons
The challenging and traumatic times.
Volubtary
Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside1 October 2017
I currently volunteer for childine.
I really enjoy it it's very rewarding, the staff and supervisors are very supportive and the training is so thorough and valuable.
Wonderful place to work
Children's Services Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Leeds25 August 2017
Varied work.working individually with children and families and group work.
Learned nunchucks from managers and colleagues.
Supportive management structure
Positive a, supportive and encouraging workplace culture
Hardest part staying detached
Most enjoyable making a difference
Pros
Encouraged to be innovative in your approach
Cons
New CEO's disregard proven work .
Excellent childrens charity- great cause!
Head of Direct/Digital Marketing (Former Employee) –  London24 August 2017
The best childrens charity in the UK. The charity does amazing work and is well loved by the nation. It was a priviledge to work at the charity.Great staff and volunteers
Worst employer I have ever worked for
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds21 August 2017
Management were uncaring and unsupportive. Morale in the office was at an all time low due to dire management and distrust between managers. There was a culture of bullying. Staff didn't feel valued. If I suggested new ideas I was basically told to shut up. There were no systems in place when I started and a series of technical issues that should have been sorted out before I started at the NSPCC. I was made to feel like an outsider and felt very isolated. It has to be the worst employer I have ever worked for. I felt that they wanted blood from a stone. Given the salary it was totally unrealistic for the amount of responsibility that I was given, It gives me no pleasure giving a bad review but morale was at an all time low in the office and if the way senior management treated me was anything to go by then they will be losing staff and not retaining them.
Pros
It does help alot of abused children
Cons
Totally disorganised and staff morale extremely low due to a bullying culture
A bullying expert
Children's Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Norwich19 July 2017
NSPCC made the entire team redundant then lied to our vulnerable clients. They made it clear that Norfolk was 'too isolated' to bother with. Fun work with great clients, but not honest and treated staff very poorly.
Pros
Autonomy of work
Cons
Dishonest anf bullying environment.
NSPCC is a very positive place to work
Special Events Intern (Former Employee) –  London, UK12 July 2017
NSPCC hosts large-scale events, fundraising for children in need. There is great passion in the workplace for the organization. Events are well-attended, organized and generate large donations.
loved this job!
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Worcester21 June 2017
Stayed here for many years. In the early 2000s ethos changed and job became redundant. Many dedicated staff doing great work. Money was good, lots of supportive training
Pros
Good people
Cons
Change of ethos
Volunteer ChildLine Counsellor (once a week) (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 June 2017
Co-workers are very supportive of each other. Supervisors are always available to consult with.
Provides all the necessary training you will need and provide group supervisions as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSPCC. Our community is ready to answer.