NSPCC Employee Reviews

Not much cop
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  London7 February 2018
Limited career advancement meant I was in the same role for seven years, but with an ever increasing work load.

Management culture is very closed-off and pally pally. Promotions and recruitment take place furtively.

Poor inter-department engagement.

Best part was the friends I made.
Pros
Newly refurbished building
Cons
Long hours for no additional pay
Bullying Of Staff London HQ
Corporate Services (Former Employee) –  London21 October 2017
The Organisation wants the public and people who donate to it too believe its a professional caring charity however its a shame it doesn't treat its staff well. During the years I worked there both myself and other members of staff were bullied constantly to the point I resigned as my health suffered. HR refused to acknowledge or deal with my complaint. They simply acted as gatekeepers for protecting the charities image. The Charity actually made its own Hr department redundant which actually were caring and helpful.

the whole Management structure is flawed and most of the management in my department were inexperienced at best and had no people skills .

Long serving staff were made redundant or forced out and cheaper wages were paid to their replacements

I would advise anyone who values their health to avoid this employer at all cost.
Pros
Good Holiday allowance
Cons
Long hours, low morale, Poor Management Structure
Work of very sensitive nature
Volunteer of very sensitive nature work (Former Employee) –  Plymouth2 October 2017
You need nerves of steel here to work with abused and neglected children who often but not get separated from their families.

It was at times quite challenging and traumatic to deal with.

Back then, you could achieve professional academic counselling skills qualifications to open many career avenues.

There were also, happy fun times working with colleagues. The management was excellent and very professional with different departments to each work structure.
Pros
Achieved an academic professional qualification.
Cons
The challenging and traumatic times.
Volubtary
Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside1 October 2017
I currently volunteer for childine.
I really enjoy it it's very rewarding, the staff and supervisors are very supportive and the training is so thorough and valuable.
Wonderful place to work
Children's Services Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Leeds25 August 2017
Varied work.working individually with children and families and group work.
Learned nunchucks from managers and colleagues.
Supportive management structure
Positive a, supportive and encouraging workplace culture
Hardest part staying detached
Most enjoyable making a difference
Pros
Encouraged to be innovative in your approach
Cons
New CEO's disregard proven work .
Worst employer I have ever worked for
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds21 August 2017
Management were uncaring and unsupportive. Morale in the office was at an all time low due to dire management and distrust between managers. There was a culture of bullying. Staff didn't feel valued. If I suggested new ideas I was basically told to shut up. There were no systems in place when I started and a series of technical issues that should have been sorted out before I started at the NSPCC. I was made to feel like an outsider and felt very isolated. It has to be the worst employer I have ever worked for. I felt that they wanted blood from a stone. Given the salary it was totally unrealistic for the amount of responsibility that I was given, It gives me no pleasure giving a bad review but morale was at an all time low in the office and if the way senior management treated me was anything to go by then they will be losing staff and not retaining them.
Pros
It does help alot of abused children
Cons
Totally disorganised and staff morale extremely low due to a bullying culture
A bullying expert
Children's Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Norwich19 July 2017
NSPCC made the entire team redundant then lied to our vulnerable clients. They made it clear that Norfolk was 'too isolated' to bother with. Fun work with great clients, but not honest and treated staff very poorly.
Pros
Autonomy of work
Cons
Dishonest anf bullying environment.
NSPCC is a very positive place to work
Special Events Intern (Former Employee) –  London, UK12 July 2017
NSPCC hosts large-scale events, fundraising for children in need. There is great passion in the workplace for the organization. Events are well-attended, organized and generate large donations.
loved this job!
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Worcester21 June 2017
Stayed here for many years. In the early 2000s ethos changed and job became redundant. Many dedicated staff doing great work. Money was good, lots of supportive training
Pros
Good people
Cons
Change of ethos
Volunteer ChildLine Counsellor (once a week) (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 June 2017
Co-workers are very supportive of each other. Supervisors are always available to consult with.
Provides all the necessary training you will need and provide group supervisions as well.
Loved it!
volunteer writer (Current Employee) –  Devon12 April 2017
Perfect for me - very interesting and rewarding! They are brilliant and supportive and only an email or phonemail away whenever you need some advice or support.
misguided organisation
Practitioner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 April 2017
Although the team I was part of did some extremely valuable work within our community to support vulnerable children, the agency as whole does not prioritise the children it is supposed to support and instead uses it's money to employ over paid managers.
Pros
direct work with children
Cons
poorly managed
making a difference
Training and Development Consultant (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire17 February 2017
The NSPCC is passionate about safeguarding children and it is a great time to be invovled in this field of work. I delivery safeguaridng training and i offer consultancy work to drive forward the proactive messages around protecting children. With the NSPCC behind me, that message is inspiring others.
Pros
variety or work
Lovely place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 January 2017
A hard working team passionate about safeguarding children.
An enjoyable work environment even when the topics are difficult to deal with.
Fun place to work in
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands18 January 2017
This job has helped me build on my customer service skills on a face to face basis. Fundraising has helped me deal with all types of people and solve problems on my feet which helps me prepare for situations more effectively.
It should be better working for a major charity
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Communications29 November 2016
Sadly my time at the NSPCC was at a time when there was some reorganisation within the directorate and a new team leadership whose aims were all about 'increasing churn' and who were in my opinion removed from the ethos and values of a third sector organisation.

The reorganisation of the department saw mass redundancies and a recruitment campaign that particularly targeted those with a journalism background. With some previous experience with the NSPCC and other charities I was one of the few with a third sector background to be kept on.

During my time there I felt was treated particularly poorly, with disregard for the agreed procedures within the organisation and as a result of claim and counter-claim and consequent illness, we agreed that I would resign my post.

There are plenty of good people within NSPCC, their policy and service delivery professionals, the fundraisers, schools service and childline are all highly dedicated and a delight to work with.
Pros
Some great people
Cons
Some would call it bullying
good
Charity Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Nottingham22 June 2016
Well, my work day started at 3 and ended around 10. pm. I learned how to speak to public people without being nervous. I had good co-workers and the hardest pert of the job was trying to persuade people to give towards the charity.
Pros
improves speech skills, lots of excersice
Cons
long hours, no free lunches
Great and comfortable environment.
Volunteer for school services (Former Employee) –  Nottingham26 May 2016
It is a great place to work or even just volunteer to gain some experience while finishing your studies. It helps you polish your skills as well as get you ready for the work life after graduating.
Pros
amazing people to work with
fun workplace
Collector (Former Employee) –  Salford26 May 2016
was posting free bags to different house so people to give old clothes , then pick them up and go back to the shop and sort them out for the shop to sell
Pros
doing good for them
Cons
different places
Productive, fun, challenging and exciting.
Childline Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool2 May 2016
Childline has exceptional robust training, computer systems and databases in recording, supporting and listening to children and young people in every eventuality whether positive and negative. Colleagues, staff and supervisors are extremely helpful, supportive and encourage personal growth. Environment and facilities are very good. I have learnt and continue to learn within this service and have the confidence to support others from my recent work in mentoring new volunteers coming on board. I thoroughly enjoy my role and hope to continue and excel within it. I take great satisfaction in listening, supporting and safeguarding the child and young people I am there for via different modes of communication. When ever possible I will cover additional shifts if needed and I am able to.
Pros
Not far from home to travel, free refreshments, training and work with a fantastic array of individuals.
Cons
Not paid work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSPCC. Our community is ready to answer.