NSPCC Employee Reviews

Worst company I have ever worked for
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  London17 September 2019
Terrible working experience I put up with for nearly ten years as the sole wage earner in my family. Management are incompetent and under qualified, bullying of staff is rife. There is a huge staff turnover. I worked almost double my hours, only being paid a salary to come close to what was demanded of me. Horrific that people give money to this charity to be wasted the way it is.
Force for change
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool Street Station, Greater London21 August 2019
I was part of an advisory group called Force for change, which involved working with a group of young people and looking at policies regarding the care system. I developed team working skills.
The Emperor’s New Clothes
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 June 2019
It is so upsetting that a charity with such a high profile and great image are simply appalling to work for. They embarked on therapeutic cleansing throughout the organisation, demonstrating little regard for standards of ethical and safe interventions for children and instead offer short term, pilot programmes that have no evidence base (although they try and gather one) and a lack of clinical guidance and input. When their inflated waiting lists become too long, they have been known to send letters out to families stating they will not receive a service.

Perhaps what is most surprising is the lack of therapeutic knowledge or even interest from managers and service managers and absence of clinical supervision for work that should be highly specialised and carefully managed. An organisation with a good front and very little substance. I would never donate although have continued to support vulnerable children.
Pros
Good resources and clean building for families.
Cons
Unknowledgable senior staff and unethical practice
11 June 2019

Thank you for your comments. We are always keen to listen to feedback from our staff and are therefore sorry to read your concerns about our current strategy and the delivery of services.

As you will know from your time at the NSPCC, we identify gaps in child protection need and knowledge and then carefully and rigorously develop, test and evaluate services. No other organisation is doing this on the scale we are in the UK. We are becoming increasingly successful in taking our evaluated services to scale such as Graded Care Profile 2 and Letting the Future in, a therapeutic programme with world class standard evaluation results. We are also continuing to ensure our services have greater reach to more children and families.

Our staff and managers are trained, qualified and experienced to do this work. The practice standards that guide the work of our practitioners and managers are drawn from social work professional standards and we have in place well-established processes for supervision, quality assurance and inspection. We are committed to developing a culture that enables reflective practice and have received positive feedback from our staff on the additional support available to them through action learning sets, coaching and mentoring. Your comments therefore do not accord with what we are doing and the successes we are achieving.

We regret that your experience of working at the NSPCC has fallen short of what we would wish.

Toxic culture and inefficient management
Strategy and policy (Former Employee) –  London, Weston House30 May 2019
This saddens me to say write this as I believe in the cause to protect children from abuse, however, the NSPCC is the worst organised I have worked in.

I have witnessed some very unprofessional attitudes amongst senior management, my team in particular was extremely terrible as they created an “us and them” culture. Senior management very openly whispered and gossiped at any chance the Head or Director was out of office. They made the lower grades feel inadequate by giving them copious workloads to complete in very unrealistic timeframes and barely provided any direction. Individuals who mustered up the confidence to flag this up to management, would be rebutted with frequent backhanded comments and complaints about how busy they were and did not have the capacity to support their team.

The team I was in was extremely toxic, 6 people left within a 12 month period. Reasons being lack of progression (with evidence of staff being tricked into believing they would get a promotion); extremely rare allowances for flexibility (individuals being punished for working compressed days or being allowed to work from home). Other members of the team felt forced to leave as they were unsupported and bullied by their line managers, there were attempts to report these grievances to the Head (which was the process we had to go through) however these were deliberately overlooked as the Head had a high tendency to ignore emails and decline meetings.
HR is an entity that may as well not exist, they are not even based in the London offices. Yet appear to only be around to support senior
  more... management, there appears to be no clear effective process that enables middle managers and assistants to get any means of support.

What made my experience at the NSPCC even more sickening were the obvious expressions of classism, misogyny, and racism. Theses was always masked in the form of “jokes”. This organisation apparently takes all forms of discrimination seriously, yet frustratingly did nothing when attempts were made to flag the issues up.
I would advise jobseekers to steer well clear of this place, perhaps only work there if you would like to use their strong brand to boost your career. However, if you’re not at senior management level that is of a certain race, class or gender that is favoured, then you will more than likely be wasting your time entirely.
Pros
Few people that care about the lives of children
Cons
Toxic management
7 June 2019

Your experience of NSPCC was clearly a very disappointing one and that is very unfortunate, we would not wish anyone to leave with such opinions. Clearly there must have been some poor relationships and experiences for you to feel so strongly.

We are committed to providing an environment free from discrimination, bullying, harassment or victimisation, where all members of the NSPCC family are treated with respect and dignity. Discriminatory language or behaviour of any form – is not tolerated. Any grievance raised is always taken very seriously.

It is a great shame that you have not had a positive experience during your time at the NSPCC.

Pay very good but draining
ChildLine Supervisor and Contact Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  NSPCC ChildLine3 March 2019
Fun place to work at ChildLine. Had a good laugh despite being emotive.

Shift work is very demanding with late evening into the early hours.

Varied tasks- interviewing, managing staff and volunteers, managing risk in each call, undertaking a diverse range of tasks when not in contact centre room.
Pros
Good money, notmicro managed
Cons
late nights including weekends. Constantly tired and did not see family
18 March 2019

Thanks you very much for your feedback. You rightly highlight the important yet demanding work of Childline in reaching out to children at times when children need advice and support. The commitment shown by both staff and volunteers to support children in much need of help remains amazing. Understandably, while Childline seeks to provide a rota pattern of working for staff that provides a good work life balance we do recognise the nature of providing a 24/7 service will inevitably require staff to work across various times of the day and not follow traditional office hours.

Caring people
Senior Centre Administrator (Current Employee) –  Southampton14 January 2019
This position was only Maternity Cover, but have enjoyed every day. It can be challenging at times however there is lots of support from other colleagues. No two days are the same
An incredible place to work
Contact Centre Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salford17 November 2018
My time at the NSPCC has been fantastic. The vital work we do to protect children on a daily basis means that our job is like no other. The office environment is fun, kind and supportive, and for a change, even includes line management.

My job involves answering all of the calls to the NSPCC Helpline, including calls about concerns for children. Our team collectively responds to the most serious forms of abuse, by passing the information on to relevant statutory agencies for them to intervene, as well as providing beneficial, practical advice to our callers. Every day is different and brings about a new challenge. Some calls can be distressing, but with experience and a superb support network, it's a really rewarding role.

The managers at the Helpline form part of a unique team setup, where support is always available and we can talk to anyone about anything. I have never seen, and may never see again, a workplace where the level of respect for each other is as prevalent as it is here.

Unfortunately, it's higher up where the problem lies. I've fallen victim to the latest round of redundancies to hit our Helpline. They do not foster the same amount of care and respect for staff and ultimately will be the reason I leave.

I've had the most amazing time in this organisation, and have learned so much about myself and what I am able to achieve.
23 November 2018

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are always keen to listen to the views of our staff and are committed to creating a positive working environment where are employees and volunteers feel valued and equipped to play their part in ending cruelty to children. So it is really lovely to read about the aspects of your employment with the NSPCC that you have found to be so positive.

However, we live in challenging times and to enable the NSPCC to be in a position to help even more children in the future we sometimes have to make some difficult decisions about where to focus our finite financial resources. We are disappointed that you feel as you do about the current proposed changes within Helpline. Proposals that potentially impact on staff are never taken lightly and we fully recognise the impact they can have on committed and experienced staff and in these circumstances we always seek wherever possible to retain those staff directly impacted through redeployment into other roles. We know that we don’t always get things right and we welcome constructive feedback where we might be even better and so would encourage you to provide more detailed feedback to Helpline management. We do regret that your recent experience may have fallen short of what we would wish.

Unethical and far from employee friendly
Child Protection Practitioner (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom13 September 2018
You're just a number. You'll work hard, believing you are still doing something purposeful in spite of the NSPCC's narcissistic agenda only to be thrown out with the trash.

No compassion empathy or interest in the well-being of staff.

The NSPCC is essentially the Kim Kardashian of the charity world - it only cares the media representation and covers up the reality of a questionable service that has no professional body to hold it accountable.

Bullying is rife as is discriminatory practice.

The fundraising team work hard to raise money for the charity and the NSPCC is great at finding ways to waste it.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Everything else
21 September 2018

Thank you for your comments. We are always keen to listen to the views of our staff and seek to create a positive working environment where everyone feels valued. We are therefore disappointed that you feel as you do about your employment with the NSPCC.

With regard to the services we deliver to children and families, as you will know Children’s Services Practitioners and their managers work in accordance with Practice Standards drawn from social work professional standards. Regular supervision, quality assurance and inspection processes provide appropriate and robust oversight. We are mindful of the efforts colleagues in Fundraising make to secure funds, as you have highlighted and recognise the need for us all to be responsible stewards of the money generously donated by our supporters. We continually review expenditure to ensure we are maximising our financial resources and through evaluation of our services we are better able to assess the impact to ensure we are focussing our efforts where these are most needed.

We take the well-being of our staff seriously and seek to investigate and resolve issues raised by staff. We are currently doing a piece of work focussing on our culture and bringing the NSPCC’s organisational values to life. We believe this will further enhance the working environment for staff and volunteers and that everyone who works for us will feel inspired, capable and empowered to play their part in delivering our mission. We regret that your experience of working for the NSPCC has fallen short of this aspiration.

happy and caring environment
Volunteer Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire11 September 2018
Working as a volunteer to help children who need it the most is one of the most satisfying job roles to do.
I spend my shift listening to and supporting children who are often struggling with parts of their life.
I have gained all the skills necessary to engage with children, and support them with various problems, which can range from bullying to abuse.
The management team are extremely supportive and care deeply about their staffs welfare.
The staff that work for childline are the best of the best, they are all caring and compassionate people who want to make the world a better place for children.
The hardest part of my job is sometimes not knowing if your contact with the child that night has helped to keep them safe.
The most enjoyable part is being part of an organisation that is making a difference in children's lives.
Extremely rewarding
Charity Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Peterborough6 September 2018
Love talking to children. The Nspcc is extremely supported by so many people. People will always want to help children. But there are more and more we don’t know about.
Pros
Term time
Cons
Salary
14 September 2018

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is lovely to read about employees who are enjoying such a positive experience of working at the NSPCC. We have recently been engaging with and listening to our people in relation to our pay model and our pay, reward and recognition policies are currently under review. We always welcome feedback that enables us to improve and do better so that we can attract the best people to take forward our work for and with children.

Walk away
HelpLine Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays25 August 2018
Have to listen to people all day on phone telling you how they have been abused, how their children have been abused, people telling you they have abused others....
You get no emotional support from colleagues because if they did support you then management would tell them off!
You also get told off for not working hard because you need a few minutes to get your emotions back into order.
Treated like an idiot.
De-skilled,
Under valued
micro managed
BULLY tactics by ALL managers and Team Leaders.
I was a SW for 20+ years and was having my reports and emails checked by a team leader whose only other job was as a nursery nurse!
Pros
Once in a while you make a difference to 1 child
Cons
bullying, emotional blackmail
30 August 2018

Many thanks for your comments. I am sorry to hear the advice and support provided by shift managers unhelpful. As you rightly indicate the helpline is a high demand working environment where staff are committed to providing the very best support and assistance to the public with concerns for vulnerable children. The success of the service is down to the hard work of all colleagues who come to us from diverse professional child care backgrounds as well as social work, such multidisciplinary approaches bring wealth of skills and knowledge to the service and ultimately better outcomes for children. Additionally the helpline also provides a career path for those in other none practice helpline roles supporting them to develop their skills to become practitioners.

Both managers and practitioners work closely side-by-side managing the shifts and responding to the public. The ethos and practice on shift is one of support where practitioners can seek assistance at any time and where managers are active in their oversight and available to provide such guidance as necessary. The helpline’s comprehensive supportive package provided to all new starters is shaped to ensure that they have the skills and knowledge to practice proficiently. Our use of peer mentors and line management practice, including regular structured supervision, illustrates the importance we place on ongoing practice and emotional support for all within a fast moving service. I am sorry that you felt that this approach was perhaps something you were unaccustomed too and did not meet your needs.

We continue to  more... work to strengthen our culture of openness where all members are valued for their individual and collective contribution, bullying in any form is not tolerated, as such we take the concerns you raise very seriously. If you would like to discuss your time we would find that helpful, the NSPCC is a learning organisation and evolves and improves its practice from being informed. John Cameron, Head of Helplines (jcameron@nspcc.org.uk) would be very keen to talk with you to understand more regarding your experience.  less

Good organisation to work for
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland9 July 2018
Very busy and demanding and can be hard at times on the emotional side
Opportunities are there to be taken if you want to learn and advance. Can be tough at times but great team spirit
Pros
Education
Cons
can be hard emotionally
Productive workplace
Volunteer Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 June 2018
My typical day at work entailed replying to emails from young people regarding their concerns that they may have, whether it be school problems, bulliying, relationships etc and providing the young people with advice and post signing them to any supporting links.
Charitable and caring organisation
Assistant Accountant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 May 2018
As expected with this type of organisation it was very pleasant to work for where the management was understanding and flexible in day to day activities.
Rewarding
Helpline Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 April 2018
Amazing training, and team support during professional development. Limiting hours/shift availability as volunteers are plentiful but very rewarding work.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Effect stress has on well being
fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire22 March 2018
good way to raise money, everyone had fun and a lot of money was raised for those in selected charities. good atomosphere, filled with lots of support and different activities to make the day more fun.
Productive place to work
Receptionist (Temporary Contract) (Former Employee) –  Tilbury9 March 2018
Due to the nature of this company, some days were extremely hard, Seeing the results appearing, once the experts had worked their magic, meant we all received a sense of accomplishment at the end of each day.
Pros
Sense of achievement through seeing the help provided working.
Cons
Some days very distressing.
Volunteering
VOLUNTEER MASSAGE THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 March 2018
Volunteer work with the NSPCC is a brilliant achievement on both parts. the staff are all committed and friendly, with a great level of support for the volunteer team.
Worst employer ever.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Hinckley, Leicestershire27 February 2018
Just an awful place to work.

Over worked, underpaid and taken for granted.
Employees dealing with children were often under trained and sometimes didn’t have the relevant checks.

No job security and bullying within the organisation was rife!
Staff turnover was huge
Pros
Giving back to society
Cons
Stress levels!
Not much cop
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  London7 February 2018
Limited career advancement meant I was in the same role for seven years, but with an ever increasing work load.

Management culture is very closed-off and pally pally. Promotions and recruitment take place furtively.

Poor inter-department engagement.

Best part was the friends I made.
Pros
Newly refurbished building
Cons
Long hours for no additional pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSPCC. Our community is ready to answer.