NSPCC Employee Reviews

Rewarding
Helpline Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 April 2018
Amazing training, and team support during professional development. Limiting hours/shift availability as volunteers are plentiful but very rewarding work.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Effect stress has on well being
fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire22 March 2018
good way to raise money, everyone had fun and a lot of money was raised for those in selected charities. good atomosphere, filled with lots of support and different activities to make the day more fun.
Volunteering
VOLUNTEER MASSAGE THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 March 2018
Volunteer work with the NSPCC is a brilliant achievement on both parts. the staff are all committed and friendly, with a great level of support for the volunteer team.
Worst employer ever.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Hinckley, Leicestershire27 February 2018
Just an awful place to work.

Over worked, underpaid and taken for granted.
Employees dealing with children were often under trained and sometimes didn’t have the relevant checks.

No job security and bullying within the organisation was rife!
Staff turnover was huge
Pros
Giving back to society
Cons
Stress levels!
Not much cop
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  London7 February 2018
Limited career advancement meant I was in the same role for seven years, but with an ever increasing work load.

Management culture is very closed-off and pally pally. Promotions and recruitment take place furtively.

Poor inter-department engagement.

Best part was the friends I made.
Pros
Newly refurbished building
Cons
Long hours for no additional pay
Bullying Of Staff London HQ
Corporate Services (Former Employee) –  London21 October 2017
The Organisation wants the public and people who donate to it too believe its a professional caring charity however its a shame it doesn't treat its staff well. During the years I worked there both myself and other members of staff were bullied constantly to the point I resigned as my health suffered. HR refused to acknowledge or deal with my complaint. They simply acted as gatekeepers for protecting the charities image. The Charity actually made its own Hr department redundant which actually were caring and helpful.

the whole Management structure is flawed and most of the management in my department were inexperienced at best and had no people skills .

Long serving staff were made redundant or forced out and cheaper wages were paid to their replacements

I would advise anyone who values their health to avoid this employer at all cost.
Pros
Good Holiday allowance
Cons
Long hours, low morale, Poor Management Structure
Work of very sensitive nature
Volunteer of very sensitive nature work (Former Employee) –  Plymouth2 October 2017
You need nerves of steel here to work with abused and neglected children who often but not get separated from their families.

It was at times quite challenging and traumatic to deal with.

Back then, you could achieve professional academic counselling skills qualifications to open many career avenues.

There were also, happy fun times working with colleagues. The management was excellent and very professional with different departments to each work structure.
Pros
Achieved an academic professional qualification.
Cons
The challenging and traumatic times.
Volubtary
Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside1 October 2017
I currently volunteer for childine.
I really enjoy it it's very rewarding, the staff and supervisors are very supportive and the training is so thorough and valuable.
Wonderful place to work
Children's Services Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Leeds25 August 2017
Varied work.working individually with children and families and group work.
Learned nunchucks from managers and colleagues.
Supportive management structure
Positive a, supportive and encouraging workplace culture
Hardest part staying detached
Most enjoyable making a difference
Pros
Encouraged to be innovative in your approach
Cons
New CEO's disregard proven work .
Excellent childrens charity- great cause!
Head of Direct/Digital Marketing (Former Employee) –  London24 August 2017
The best childrens charity in the UK. The charity does amazing work and is well loved by the nation. It was a priviledge to work at the charity.Great staff and volunteers
Worst employer I have ever worked for
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds21 August 2017
Management were uncaring and unsupportive. Morale in the office was at an all time low due to dire management and distrust between managers. There was a culture of bullying. Staff didn't feel valued. If I suggested new ideas I was basically told to shut up. There were no systems in place when I started and a series of technical issues that should have been sorted out before I started at the NSPCC. I was made to feel like an outsider and felt very isolated. It has to be the worst employer I have ever worked for. I felt that they wanted blood from a stone. Given the salary it was totally unrealistic for the amount of responsibility that I was given, It gives me no pleasure giving a bad review but morale was at an all time low in the office and if the way senior management treated me was anything to go by then they will be losing staff and not retaining them.
Pros
It does help alot of abused children
Cons
Totally disorganised and staff morale extremely low due to a bullying culture
A bullying expert
Children's Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Norwich19 July 2017
NSPCC made the entire team redundant then lied to our vulnerable clients. They made it clear that Norfolk was 'too isolated' to bother with. Fun work with great clients, but not honest and treated staff very poorly.
Pros
Autonomy of work
Cons
Dishonest anf bullying environment.
NSPCC is a very positive place to work
Special Events Intern (Former Employee) –  London, UK12 July 2017
NSPCC hosts large-scale events, fundraising for children in need. There is great passion in the workplace for the organization. Events are well-attended, organized and generate large donations.
loved this job!
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Worcester21 June 2017
Stayed here for many years. In the early 2000s ethos changed and job became redundant. Many dedicated staff doing great work. Money was good, lots of supportive training
Pros
Good people
Cons
Change of ethos
Volunteer ChildLine Counsellor (once a week) (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 June 2017
Co-workers are very supportive of each other. Supervisors are always available to consult with.
Provides all the necessary training you will need and provide group supervisions as well.
Loved it!
volunteer writer (Current Employee) –  Devon12 April 2017
Perfect for me - very interesting and rewarding! They are brilliant and supportive and only an email or phonemail away whenever you need some advice or support.
misguided organisation
Practitioner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 April 2017
Although the team I was part of did some extremely valuable work within our community to support vulnerable children, the agency as whole does not prioritise the children it is supposed to support and instead uses it's money to employ over paid managers.
Pros
direct work with children
Cons
poorly managed
making a difference
Training and Development Consultant (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire17 February 2017
The NSPCC is passionate about safeguarding children and it is a great time to be invovled in this field of work. I delivery safeguaridng training and i offer consultancy work to drive forward the proactive messages around protecting children. With the NSPCC behind me, that message is inspiring others.
Pros
variety or work
Lovely place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 January 2017
A hard working team passionate about safeguarding children.
An enjoyable work environment even when the topics are difficult to deal with.
Fun place to work in
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands18 January 2017
This job has helped me build on my customer service skills on a face to face basis. Fundraising has helped me deal with all types of people and solve problems on my feet which helps me prepare for situations more effectively.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSPCC. Our community is ready to answer.