Novus Property Solutions Ltd Employee Reviews

better of the housing associations
multi trader (Former Employee) –  Reading25 September 2019
i worked for novus for 7 months and enjoyed my time there.its not great money but the work is easy and most of the tenants are nice and polite.very good multi trade planner who helps you every time you ask for help.other planners not so good and main supervisor is not very nice and a bit of a robot.i would recommend novus as the pros outway the cons and as stated its one of the better companies in the housing association business to work for
Bad organisation
Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland25 August 2019
Company is now full of senior managers who threaten and bully staff. Staff who breach privacy rules and lie there way out of situations. Yes men need only apply. A good company destroyed by incompetence.
Welcome to the Family
Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Devon23 August 2019
I have been with Novus for nearly 5 months now and am always refreshed by the support and feedback I recieve. There is alway time to as questions about your what your working on to ensure you get it right the first time. Problem solving is always done positivly with no culture. Managment are the foundations of the team leading by example a quality I really see in other work places. I have been told about progressin oppertunities and how to work towards them with clarity and no foggy comments. The induction was so warm and genuine meeting the former chairman who spoke about the motivation of the enitre business really made me feel my input is working towards a common goal.
Pros
Leadership, High Spirited Team, Positivity
Cons
I want to be a millionnaire!
Nice Company to work for
Branch Administrator (Current Employee) –  Derby8 August 2019
I have recently started wortking of Novus and I am really enjoying my work. I have flexibilty wih regards my lunch break. I have been supported with my training and all my colleages have been very helpful. There is also work to complete which keeps me busy.
Pros
Lots of Support
What a Warm Welcome
Systems Developer (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire19 July 2019
Before I had even begun my first day at work I was invited to a company social event. This was a brilliant way to meet the team I would be working with and they made me feel very welcome.

During my first week I had been given a tour of the building, being introduced to members of the company who were all incredibly friendly and happy to meet me. The tasks I needed to complete were set out clearly so that I could make a solid start, which were all varied and challenging. I was also included in every relevant meeting from the day I started, giving me a feeling of inclusion and importance in the team.

Very fair with the working hours and work life balance is great. The location of the company and the environment are fantastic. Lots of ameneties nearby and close to the city centre. The equipment I was provided with is also meets the requirements of the job and more, allowing me to produce some quality work.

Competent management put confidence in staff, giving us the ability to work without being micro managed and will always offer help and support if requested. All members of staff are happy to assist with anything and the company has a very open and honest culture.

I don't have anything negative to say about Novus as this job has been everything I wanted and more.
Pros
Great atmosphere to work in; Friendly management; Interesting workload
Cons
N/a
2 years not a bad company to work for
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 July 2019
Not too bad a company to work for just the travelling 70 plus miles each way and getting nothing for it (only 15p per mile after you have done over 60 miles). Let you to get your work done without to much hassle. Had to wait for materials and sometimes fetch them ourselves and even had to buy them some of the time to get the job finished.Probably would of stopped there longer if they would of sorted out mileage allowance out instead of saying one thing and they changing there minds later on.
Pros
Did get sent on a Repair Care course which was well worth doing
Cons
No mileage allowance
Awful
Operator (Former Employee) –  Bathgate, West Lothian4 July 2019
NO job security at all, awful management, no incentives, no room for progression. Senior managers did not care about their staff at all and showed no interest unless it benefited them. Overall a terrible place to work.
Great company
Contract Liason Officer (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire13 March 2019
I absolutley love my job with Novus, the staff made me feel really welcome, my day to day workday is completly different and i am looking forward to my future with Novus
Excellent place to grow and feel valued for your work
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire12 February 2019
I worked in the marketing department at Head Office.

I loved my work and it was clear from the start that the management valued my input. My manager was always suggesting courses and various opportunities to develop both personally and professionally.

I saw, first hand, the effort that goes into improving the relationship between directors, management and staff. This was something that the marketing department put great emphasise on.

I found Novus an excellent place to work, fantastic people, brilliant flexible hours and a real desire to help their staff grow. I always felt looked after at Novus.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Management value your input, Staff Development
Cons
Not much parking
Great people, great culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire2 February 2019
I joined Novus last year and have loved every minute of it. The people are amazing and have helped me to feel part of the Novus family from day one. My manager has been fantastic, setting clear objectives, giving me the space to grow into a new role, but being there for me when I needed it. Everyone is so approachable including the Directors whose doors are always open. I would recommend Novus to anyone that is looking for a really sociable environment, a chance to contribute and for that contribution to be recognised and anyone who wants to be part of a growing business with genuine family values.
Pros
Family values, great people, rewarding
Great culture and progressive company
QS (Former Employee) –  Midlands31 January 2019
This business were brilliant to work for (9 years in role). Could not fault the values, culture or leadership of this family owned firm. Some great colleagues too. It was good to be part of a company that delivered exactly what it promised to customers and employees.
Pros
Always looking to improve, training, benefits
Cons
Lots going on so not much downtime
Most stressfull job ive had.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester27 January 2019
Maintenance operative and honestly most stressful job ive had. You will be working two contracts, one at university and one for Manchester bus stations doing all sorts of refurbishments, something they should get subcontractors in for! Have you doing repairs in public buildings on your own that are two men jobs. Need a PO number all the time even for small items which is ball ache. Most of the old workers on old contract were great but the newer ones on new contract were workaholic brown noses. Management are sly especially that foxy. One of the worst companies I've worked for as a tradesman. Awful experience. Awful company to work for.
Pros
Working at University buildings
Cons
High expectations all time, organising materials for jobs was hard work, slewzy management
Bizarre interview questions
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol18 January 2019
If an interview gives an idea of the company then this company should be avoided unless you're really very desperate. Appalling, I don't think they knew what to ask. The senior manager was a complete twit.
Pros
You can afford to eat
Cons
You work for terribly incompetent managers
21 January 2019

“Hello, we are really sorry to hear that this was your experience. We are very surprised to hear this as this is not the usual feedback we receive. We would appreciate chatting to you so that we can embrace any learning for this business. You can liaise with us entirely confidentially on hr@novussolutions.co.uk and we can then arrange a time to speak.”

Soul destroying
Manager (Former Employee) –  Stoke-upon-Trent, Staffordshire9 January 2019
I agree with many of the reviewers who have expressed negative experiences and concerns about this company.

Upon applying for the role and commencing work with Novus I was extremely excited and buzzing with positive energy at the prospect of working with them. They appeared on the surface a great company.

This was sadly quickly squashed though when I received virtually no on-boarding hand over. Existing colleagues had barely any knowledge of what my predecessor had done, as staff turnover was very high. This was inclusive of a large intricate project that I took on. Information came in slow small doses, predominantly due to myself reaching out to others in the wider business outside of the department, and asking questions to try and find out information. I would often spend much wasted time on a task, only to later frustratingly discover that this had previously been done before.

Upon speaking to others, those who specialized in certain areas of work (who should have been key stakeholders and incorporated into projects) expressed bewilderment and an exhausted aire when telling me they had been cut out of projects that directly related to them. This causing delays, and to the detriment of employees and the company I feel.

During my short time there it became apparent that employee stress accounted for a number of people leaving. Numerous re-structures had also taken, and continued to take place. The ground was ever shifting which was caused anxieties and was very stressful when trying to gain balance and stability for myself and family. Job roles and descriptions
  more... also changed without sufficient clarity, causing confusion and unnecessary bad feeling (which again caused emotional stress).

Conflicting messages from Management and the Seddon Family made it difficult to understand and establish what the ethos and direction of the company was. On the one hand the Seddon family promoted a culture of looking after their employees - taking on smaller but plentiful projects so that employees and their famillies as human beings were not faced with short term, sporadic, and unstable work (which if true was a noble and caring way to operate). However my experience was the complete opposite of this.

I also found the company to be very deceitful in my opinion. This was disputed, but there was much evidence to suggest this.

I agree with a previous Reviewer that there is definately a 'them and us' culture. Heads and Directors sit in an isolated wing of the Head Office building detached from the day to day workings (it was rare to see my Head of Department visit our office). Having previously worked for international companies in modern open plan offices (where Management sat with us) I found it somewhat old fashioned. I also believe this prevented senior leadership from knowing what was fully going on (and at times wrongful behaviors). Heads and Directors had a personal cook that provided them hand delivered healthy meals of prawns, chicken, salad. On this wing a crystal bowl was used to house healthy fruit for them. By comparison employees were provided with a shoe box of unhealthy chocolate and crisps that they had to pay for in the canteen - no healthy fruit.

Having previously loyally worked for a well known large family business for many years, I initially loved the prospect of working with another family business. However I have left Novus feeling hugely deflated and quite honestly soul destroyed. What went from huge positive enthusiasm and a great will to participate in the success of the business, turned into tears. I have left the business feeling very deceived and let down.

In company memos there is great emphasis on how rapidly the company is suddenly growing, with a sudden increase in work and financial success. I feel perhaps Novus (/Seddon) have fallen into the trap many growing businesses do though. That the good and healthy ethics that have existed in the past are potentially at risk of being lost. And that part of that is no longer truly considering the negative impact that unstable and fluctuating practices have on employees as human beings. Which in my judgement, and as proven with many other large construction companies, does not end well.

I thought hard before writing this because I fear the consequence of being honest. I do not feel that it was an entirely terrible company to work for though. I met a lot of really lovely people, and actually found the Seddon family very likable. But I do think perhaps ethics are being lost, and this could be the cause of what happened to me and the other reviewers who have also expressed similar experiences. I hope this and the other reviewers are properly listened to.
Pros
Met some really lovely people. Head Office new and clean environment
Cons
Poor handover, felt deceived, unethical practices, no stability
17 January 2019

“Hi, we are really sorry to hear that this was your experience. We are very surprised to hear this as this is not the usual feedback we receive. We would appreciate chatting to you so that we can embrace any learning for this business. You can speak to us entirely confidentially , if you would like to do so please forward your contact details to hr@novussolutions.co.uk, so that we can arrange a time to speak.”

Enjoyable place to work
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Nationwide7 January 2019
A company that is good with their employees and have a vision to create a great place to work.
I enjoy working with Novus, they have a great team work ethic and can always on support if required.
Avoid if you value your mental healt
Helpdesk Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bathgate, West Lothian29 October 2018
Terrible place to work. No atmosphere, no team
Building, no incentive. Management care to much about trying to advance their career instead of supporting their team. Unrealistic workload, no holiday cover and you are expected to cover everyone else while doing your own work. Minimal training then expected to know what you are talking about. Unhappy engineers. No support from your line manager, no positive feedback from management. Constant turnaround of staff on helpdesk due to negative atmosphere. Spent six months here and saw a member of staff leave every month.
Pros
Cons
Affects your mental health
9 November 2018

“Thanks for bringing this to our attention – we’re looking into this and how we can incorporate the feedback you’ve given into wider HR initiatives we’re putting into place.”

Horrific Work Place
Helpdesk Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bathgate, West Lothian26 October 2018
I worked in Novus for a short period of time (temp work) and it was the most dissatisfying job I’ve ever done.

Firstly the turn over of staff is massive new body’s in every week which is enough said within itself.

The management are horrific!!! There is no structure, credit or acknowledgment within the office the only good thing is the other people who work on the helpdesk.

It was like being back at school and the managers where the head teachers who treated you like children who were very quick to pick up on something that had been done wrong (a mistake) but when you had worked hard it was never noticed or appreciated. Treated like slaves is the only way I can describe it.

Working hours where from 0830am to 1700 and you where entitled to 30 min break!

Pay was £8 per hour 23p above minimum wage.

There was never a team meeting, an insensitive or proper training in place.

The management is the poorest management I’ve ever experienced and the way the helpdesk is treated is appalling.

I would highly recommend absolutely nobody to work there!!!!!!
Pros
Absolutely None
Cons
Management, management & management
9 November 2018

Enjoyed working on this contract
Multi-Skilled Labourer (Former Employee) –  Lancaster University17 October 2018
This company is one of the better construction companies I have worked for. I was working directly for the site manager and contracts manager doing any task they deemed necessary, the were always polite and courteous. I would work for this company again with no questions asked.
Pros
managment
good company
Working Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol1 September 2018
I enjoyed my time at novus. couldn't fault one colleague. good equipment to work with, up to date vans, always willing to supply new uniform. never an issue if you need short notice holiday.
Pros
very easy going company always willing o help you out.
Cons
poor salary for the location
No values, no morals
Decorator (Current Employee) –  Bathgate, West Lothian7 August 2018
Very let down by Novus, there is no scope for advancement!

High level management implement change at will and don't think of the consequences just expect everything to carry on.

Regional management now have no strategic approach always fire fighting not looking for ways to improve.

Overworking everyone some guys doing 14-15 hrs in the office 5 days with no support.

Not able to recruit new operatives due to regional managements previous reputation, untrustworthy and doesn't play/pay by the book.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Wages always short, sent the length and breadth of the country for £3.75 daily travel allowance no matter the distance
30 August 2018

Our aim is to develop strong teams who are proud to work for Novus.

Your feedback is telling us that we could and need to do more to make your experience and work environment better and we would encourage you to make contact with us so that we can listen to your ideas and suggestions for improvement.

If you would prefer to speak to someone confidentially outside of your immediate team, please contact your HR Business Partner for Scotland. We genuinely do value feedback and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Novus Property Solutions Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.