Nottinghamshire County Council

Nottinghamshire County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom107 reviews
Very good service to work for excellent training and CPD opportunities and career progression. Very supportive lots of opportunities to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
Formal and political workplace
As expected in the public sector, there is a very professional and formal approach. There is way too much hierarchy, which can mean projects are slow to deliver.
God job
If i had to do it again I will because ihad good experience and a good salary plenty of time to do the duty no rush. Will the benefits of union and pension.
Awful place
Rotten place to work. Would not recommend. Hardly any support, huge caseloads, pointless managers. Office looked like prison cell. Not enough social workers for amount of cases.
Awful! Would never work for NCC again!
Discriminating employer, awful HR, unsupportive and unprofessional.
I would warn anyone from working with Notts CC, chose a different council to work for!
Great for experience and working with children
This job allows you to have an insight of the teaching world. Knowledge of swimming within the national curriculum is key. Training must be kept up to date. A fantastic job to also make new friends and gain experience within the swimming instructor job sector.
Pros
Trainin days
Cons
not a full time job
Facing an uncertain future for effective service delivery
Facing significant financial challenges and increasing demand for adult and social care services.

A number of hard working individuals delivering public services in an increasingly difficult environment.
Administration
I worked in the Adoption Service. The team I worked for were lovely and I enjoyed my time there. I did all checked on potential adoptive parents. I carried out admin tasks for the whole team.
Netherfeild infant school
Was really good working for this school started as a dinner lady work as this for two yeas worked up to cook 1 in kitchen was their for seven years very good friendly pepole work round kids
Quick paced workplace
I have understood that Nottinghamshire County Council is a very quick paced workplace, you are never short for work and if you are, there is always work which can be completed.
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
Stressful
productive and informative
productive and informative
furthered knowledge

good work environment
Productive, enjoyable
As a cleaner posted at a different location to head office I Enjoy the place I'm posted to and I get on with the people that work there

The job is part time and fits around my family life.
Pros
Local work, part time.
Cons
Not really any i have found so far
changes but not for improvement.
my day starts at 5am work at first site 5.30am to 9am during which time i clean, tidy and maintain an entire primary school. i return home to work on a separate project of nessecity. 2pm i leave to attend second school site to commence cleaning with my group of 9 staff at a secondary school. I have 6hrs in the evening for completing secondary school cleaning at 9.30pm. i return home for approx 10pm each evening. the council now want to reduce the time contracted to carry out the cleaning which is already at a massive push to be completed in the time and reduce the big clean during holidays to half the staff on a rota basis. as it is stipulated by the school that prep days are supervised by senior cleaning member i have to be on duty every friday, as supervisor they have decided that this is my role which eliminates any possible time for holiday leave. as cover is not available, and we can only take time off during school holidays, i have been told to bare with it while they try to get something sorted???
Pros
time for own project during day time term time.
Cons
long hours, poor management
Busy, productive family environment
Every day brought its own challenges and triumphs. It was a fast pace of working and could be very intense at times. I had the privilege to be part of a fabulous setting before being taken over by an Academy Trust.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Excessive marking
Diverse and interesting
Nottinghamshire county council is a company that invests in its staff .
They recognise gifts and skills within and encourage the employees to develop their skills to the full . The council provide training and opportunities for growth and development. The management also come alongside the workforce and give ' hands on ' advice , they don't just tell you what to do but show you how to do it !

The supervisors give great support and often come out to the sites to offer practical support and advice when needed.

There are always ways and opportunities to advance up through the ranks . I recommend the county council as an employer,.
Pros
Petrol allowance for mobile staff. Good holiday entitlement
Cons
Some split shifts, start at 5.30 am for the first shift . Finish second part at 7.00pm
Positive Place to Work
Nottinghamshire County Council is a supportive local authority to work for. They look after their staff well and offer many benefits

The culture of work is that it is adaptable in order to support those with young children, families or caring responsibilities. The council is efficient in getting things done and supporting staff when needed.
Professional working environment
Overall, Nottinghamshire Count Council was a great place to work and I would definitely take the opportunity to work there again if presented with the chance. I was able to develop invaluable skills that can be transferred to all areas of work and develop professional behavioural techniques.

Everyday was different which kept the job interesting and allowed myself to expand my knowledge, which creates more value to the workplace. All employees showed a friendly but professional attitude and everyone in the workplace would willingly contribute to the desired goals set within meetings.

The only downfall of the job was you were sitting at the desk for long periods of time. However, most of the work would be very interesting meaning time went very quick. The Council also employed a policy where colleagues where encouraged to move around the office every hour to reduce the amount of time sat down.
Pros
Flexible working times
Cons
Long time sitting at desk
do not value staff
stressful, undervalued, nowhere to progress to. No incentives, no bonus', do not help motivate staff or praise. Only okay thing about it is working hours can be quite flexible and quite a secure job
Grounded place with excellent practices
I've not longed started to work for NCC and it's a great place, great people and really good attitude to delivering great service. Everyone is respected and it seems like an open, transparent place with a constant willingness to improve and develop.

Thanks for having me

AG
Pros
Great training, Always improving practices and services, opportunities to grow and advance
Cons
Bit out the way for me, public transport is terrible on the way home.
Technically avery good employer
A good employer generally policies and procedures involving employment law are generally maintained.
Very hierarchical and a top-down management structure.
Pros
Policies and procedures very high on the list of priorites.
Cons
Difficult to adress problems and issues involving service users.
Indecisive management, no consistency in their decision making.
Good pay, some great colleges and at times really rewarding work. I’ve gained invaluable experience from working with vulnerable children and received excellent training throughout the years of my employment. Negatives are indecisive management who will shift the goal posts and lie to protect themselves and the business. Extremely unsupportive of employees and their personal issues. Overall, decent environment to work, but the indecisive management will make you loose your passion for a job. Very much a ‘if your face fits culture’. Fourtunatly I have other motivations/directions in life and won’t be staying much longer. Ask how many greviences the manager has had at your interview, you’ve been warned/thank me later.
Pros
Rewarding working with young people. The pay’s a bonus.
Cons
Bad management. Inconsistent decision making everyday.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nottinghamshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.