Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom48 reviews
Just awful, constantly cutting costs despite bloated management structure & obvious waste wherever you look
See Summary:
The pay was much lower than expected.

There is a pervasive culture of doing the bare minimum to get by with more thought given to staff than patients, which (in theory) goes against the establishing ethos of the NHS.

Saw numerous examples of nepotism in management, despite the competency of the particular person in that position.

Could go into more detail but it might be libelous.
Supportive environment
Supportive and collaborative team within a busy hospital environment. No two days are the same. It is a great place to work to develop new skills and knowledge as they offer excellent training and development support.
Busy, political and challenging
Busy day interactive with NHS staff, members & patients.
No clear direction, competative enviroment.

Hard-working NHS staff, all supporting the community to achieve the best of care.
Amazing
Very good place to work.People very friendly .If I can then back there
Busy office with a large team
A typical day would include first line support for IT system issues. General admin duties; triaging calls to my team, dealing with confidential patient records solving various issues reported by hospital staff
Cons
Distance travelling from home
Positive
With the right funding the hospital could thrive, the work place culture can be a little down and disheartening due to the lack of support from the government. The most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference to patients.
Tough workplace in light of national NHS changes
Tough place to work in light of government legislation, but the camaraderie within the team is excellent, providing the best and most thoughtful care for patients.
Pros
Team support
Food Service Assistant
If you decide to be a food service assistant, just give you heads up, your working week is a 6 day week. You work a 7 week rota, so you work 4 weekends on, get a Friday / Saturday off then a Saturday/ Sunday off then Sunday/ Monday off. So only 1 weekend off in 7. The jobs not difficult depends what ward you are because some are really busy. Most people are friendly .
Pros
Pay
Cons
To many weekends, needs looking at because it’s not working if you have a high turnover of staff
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust?
very informative
Consisted of two training days within the medical field, first aid course, diagnosis training. Food was provided at the uni and extra work experience opportunities were available.
Teamwork
A typical day at work
Start work at 7 in the morning or evening go to roll call get allocated where you work normally 99% of the time in the initial assesment unit you get 2 cubicles patients come in i do observations ECGS blood tests then nurses make a triage and decide where to go.

What have I learnt

I have learnt many skills and a lot of knowledge around acutely unwell patients and how to treat them. And see a improvement in the outcomes.

I feel they do not consolidate front line staff when changes are going to happen to cope with demand there is no support and it doesnt help that the clinical support division has been messed around for years with no proper management to go to. Our concerns and complaints don't get taken seriously and when you have no backing from senior management then you just give up.

Workplace culture

Morale is very low i believe

Hardest part of the job

Can not cope with demand and feel like your not giving your best care and attention because everything is based on money targets time and numbers all before patient care. Patient flow no smooth journey through out the department to other hospital departments

Most enjoyable part

When you can give something back help someone that in pain see them a couple of hours later and with the right medication and pain relief there up and walking you know you've played a bit of success in that situation poorly elderly people that look like there on deaths door but actually you get a intravenous drip in commence antibiotics and they are slowly improving but just listening
 - more...
Pros
Cons
long hours, no rota consistancy
Professional Workplace
Employed through NHS Professional on zero hour contract with good pay rate. Medical environment broaden my network of professional connections. Overall, good working environment
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
no window in my office
Positive
Very tough environment, as any NHS facility is, but the staff here are excellent, supportive and actually care. The entire ethos is starting to evolve into one of discovery and best methods for patient care.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Red tape
not enjoying it...
I am not enjoying my time with NUH as much as i was expecting it to be. There is no / very little job progression and applications received are in large numbers, very little internal transfers or secondment opportunities.
I also had a large wage drop.

Unable to use skills and was made to re train in skills that i have had for long time frames i.e. ECG'S and Cannulation Skills.

Not very supportive staff and management in my ward.
Pros
Lots of Patient Care Work
Cons
lots.
Busy and rewarding
If you like to stay busy and enjoy working in a customer facing role then NUH is a great place to work. There is an emphasis on personal development and in a good department you will thrive.
Pros
Very good personal and educational development opportunities
Cons
Pressure on the NHS mean that the workplace can be stressful
Admission Area
Busy and lots to learn. Higher management leadership only looking at targets and staff feeling undervalued & not appreciated which reflect on retention. Team good and supportive of each other to work together for patient's benefit and safety but always feeling stretch and stress. Other MDTs is good but working |& accepting the culture which has been deeply rooted. Achieved experience and if you survived there, you can survive anywhere.
Pros
holiday, sick pay and pension
Cons
Stress fully and understaff
Good place to work in.
A clearly strategic organisation with excellent leadership. One of the beacon organisations in the NHS in my view. Enjoyed my job there. A great environment. The hardest thing for me was that I had to stay in Nottingham in the week and return at weekend as I lived in Essex but it was doable.
Pros
Good pay, interesting role, good team and innovative.
Cons
Travel as stated above.
Hematology Ward
Working in the NHS is a challenging job,even as a volunteer. I learn a lot and how to deal with patients who have cancer. The hardest part of the job is watching the patients decline and listening to what they say to you. I work with really nice people who have taught me a lot.
Pros
meal vouchers
Slowly being run down
Great benefits but management under pressure to cut already stretched services. I meet with staff from all levels and all departments and all say that departments and employees are stressed.
Pros
Pension, holidays
Cons
Red tape
Worthwhile and a place to grow.
Nottingham University hospital offers a wide range of roles for people from all backgrounds. While on the face of it Doctors and Nurses are the face of the NHS, there are so many background roles without which the place would not function, and it is still possible for even those without university degrees in Nursing or Medicine to find work and there is still progression available to them.
major trauma centre for East Midlands
Great team, people are friendly and want to help others.
Different challenges every day

Management are supportive

meeting people from all walks of life

the hardest part of the job is not fulfiling the patients needs in time (minority)as there isn't enough staff
Pros
great values
Cons
restricted like everywhere for funding
Large Hospital - Good Culture
Big regional hospital; allowing you be exposed to lots of medical wonders.

Good progression available, want the best for their patients, and always wanting to improve.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust Reviews by Location