Nottingham College

Nottingham College Employee Reviews

United Kingdom54 reviews
For me I have gained some grate experience and I been exposed to things that I was struggling to unlock at my last place of work. It's been a great team, there have been lost of changes, some negative some positive across the organisation. I feel it is our department's turn for some streamlining hence the reason to see what is out there.
As the college is undergoing a merger with another college in Nottingham. Staff moral is pretty low. Less staff and more workloads. Pay freeze for over 5 years.
At the company I have learnt a lot in the administrative side of things. For example data handling, telephone, email and face to face inquiries. Good customer service skills.

Have worked with some really nice people throughout my experience.
I had the opportunity to experience an office work based environment. The finance department gave me the opportunity to learn new skills, such as, filing, organisational skills and answering the telephone.
As a student, I loved every minute of college. The staff are fantastic and would be their to help with any issue personal or not. NCN gave me the confidence within my work to be able to stand if front of a class and give presentations, also helping me improve my writing skills and giving me the chance to meet journalist's and politicians who still work in the industry.
Pros
Meeting professionals
Cons
Not a lot of hands of journalist work
i went in for an apprenticeship but my interviewer was off sick that day not phone call to let me know then no one knew i was suppose to be there despite my emails confirming my dates. i stayed for 2 hours filling out questionnaire and was told they would be in touch when shes back but haven't heard from them since useless people
Very busy and friendly atmosphere, lovely staff and busy environment. Always kept on your toes and excellent skills to be learned, along with qualifications to be achieved along side via training.
I enjoyed working for ncn for over 3 years staff very friendly.. I would definitely work there again.. the only down side is the the job security’s.. and also my wages was allways different from month to month the cleaning side of things is straight forward it’s the running of the cleaning services what need improving very under staffed I was doing 2 or 3 peoples cleaning on my own and in a certain time but over all Nottingham college have improved massively over the past 10 years.
Good place to work. Busy - lots of meetings. Lots of opportunity to learn new skills.
Good wages and scale so you work up the scale - yearly payrises.

Good working hours - quiet times when students are off.
Typical working day requires me to freshly prepare food, serve customers and maintain/ clean kitchen and public area. The job allows you to partake in additional training courses as part of your continual proffessional development and learn new skills, the management are very supportive and is a fun place to work with good working hours and holidays including two weeks off at christmas. They also offer many staff perks, discounts and benefits such as discount on dining out and leisure plus much more.
Pros
Good working hours, no weekend and bank hoilday working
Cons
pay
overall in the engineering part of central college it is ran very well the only down side is the wage and not being able to work overtime.

i have learnt a lot at the college whist working there
Pros
good holidays
Cons
no overtime
Central location easy reach of travel and local facilities in Nottingham. Good HR with lots of support for new starters. Students have excellent choice of courses across many different vocations. Committed staff and positive outcomes throughout
A good place to work if you don't mind sticking in the same role for as long as you stay with the company, Rewarding being able to help people achieve their potential. Management structure could do with a shake up, lacks dynamism.
I've worked as a Recruitment Resourcer for nearly one year and love it. I'm leaving due to relocating to Nottingham, however if this wasn't the case I would definitely stay and progress within the college. Great team and environment.
Little to progress staff and poor management. Furthermore, classrooms are in need of much TLC. Despite this, the college has a great atmosphere and great students
The majority of the low and mid-level staff were a pleasure to work with - decent people doing a variety of hard jobs, often with little thanks. Sadly the higher management were unethical, unaccountable and pretty much corrupt. To provide an example, I was assaulted by a student and I wanted the police called. The management discouraged this as it would portray the college in a negative light. I persisted and rang the police anyway and one of the HR managers erased the security tape behind my back, then claimed to the police that the camera hadn't been working! Needless to say, I didn't stay very long and wouldn't go back.
Pros
Mostly chatty, happy staff, nice working environments
Cons
Parking problems, unethical management
It was a friendly and nice place to work. I learned how the application and introduction process was handled. The managers were friendly and got on well with other members of staff
I learned many new skills working there starting as an unqualified teacher and ending as a Teaching and Learning Coach on a management pay scale.

The work life balance that is required of being a lecturer or manager there is very demanding with unrealistic expectations of staff's working hours.
Pros
Training proided
Cons
was really great enjoyed every part of the college
I learned a lot from the tutors and they were very helpful in making us pass the course

the managers were great and really helpful

the other students were very helpful and were good candidates to work beside

the hardest part in the job was the mot tests

the part I enjoyed most was working with the cars and completing tasks
I really enjoyed the course I enjoyed everday I spent there
I learned a lot and improved my english and maths

the mangers were very helpful aswell as the staff

the other students were very friendly and good

the hardest part was the exams at the end but as long as you studied u will pass

the tasks and the work experience
Students are the most rewarding part of the job as you watch them develope into young adults stepping into the world or work and know you had a part to play.
Pros
term time
Cons
not enough hours
Student achievement and retention is high. Staff are under pressure to deliver beyond their contracted hours. Staff absences are common. Use of trainee teaching staff is common practice.
Good team spirit. Good personal development opportunities.
Cons
Most staff are employed under temporary contracts. Staff work many more hours than are paid for.