Northumbrian Water

Northumbrian Water Employee Reviews

United Kingdom16 reviews
A typical day would start with a team stand up where team members were located in different parts of the World, after this there would be a catch up with local team lead and run tests or re test defects depending on the situation.
I never felt stressed and the culture was laid back but very busy.

Enjoyed testing mobile devices and mobile apps and a good feeling at the end of the project when the revamped website went live.
24 February 2020
Many thanks for leaving your review of your time working here at Northumbrian Water.

It's always great to get feedback on the things we are doing well, but know from other reviews that we don't always get it right too. I wish you all the best in your future career too.
One of the worst jobs I have ever had.
By the time I left I had no morale left whatsoever.

Calls are monitored (picked apart) by supervisors, no support whatsoever, even when you ask for help.

EVERYTHING is time monitored, your calls, typing your notes, even going to the toilet! And you will always be told to go faster.
Pros
Cons
Soul destroying
29 June 2020
Many thanks for leaving such an honest and open review of your time working here at Northumbrian Water.

I am sorry to hear how you have felt when working here and I would be interested in learning more about this, so we can ensure we can make improvements to the areas you have raised your points on. My email address is michael.moore@nwl.co.uk (Resourcing Manager at NWL)
I've worked here for a long time and it used to be a good place to work. Now not so much. Obsessed with numbers rather than true efficiency. . Some departments are good and have a professional approach however others such as Operational departments are rife with bullying from the top down. They definitely work to the mantra of he who shoots loudest gets! They rule by fear rather than engagement.
I've witnessed and experienced sexism, discrimination and bullying the likes I didn't even see in school. Unfortunately the business choses not to act despite grievances and complaints and instead engages in cover up activity.

They pomote themselves as an ethical business with just an hour and disability confident while letting anyone with a disability go through fumbled restructures.

Progression exists only if your face fits and your manager likes you. Operational managers still the good old boys club and I've witnessed them, their team leaders and front like workers taunt and bully the rare female who dares to work in that department until they leave.

Its sad to see what the business has become over recent years. Its lost that family vibe and losing the good will of the workers who once upon a time would have gone the extra mile in the past when treated better.
Benefits
Cons
Poor infrastructure, won't invest in assets but spends £100k on onsultants to decimate team to get the tick in the box, long gone before the outfall of such cuts, no loyalty
24 February 2020

A great place to work, people there are really polite from senior management all the way down to the site operators. Work life balance is perfect and the shift patterns work a treat. Highly recommended.
3 February 2020
Thanks so much for leaving a review on what it's like to work at Northumbrian Water. We really appreciate your feedback and letting others know what we also think is a great place to work too.

All the best with your future career.
Excellent place to work for. Good pay, decent hours, decent management, really caring staff and policies. Call volumes are decent, some busy periods, some quiet periods.
25 November 2019
Thanks for the taking the time to provide a review on working here at Northumbrian Water.

We think it is a great place to work too, along with your colleagues, who made us 19th Best Large Company to work for in the Sunday Times survey recently.

We hope you continue to enjoy working with us and have a long career with us too.
Not recommended if you are a contractor, once the bulk of the work is done, just hand in your notice and find somewhere else with a better work ethic.
25 November 2019
I'm really sorry to hear you have not had a great experience of working with us here at Northumbrian Water, so really appreciate your time to review us, as it highlights we are not perfect at everything we do.

I do hope we can make a difference if you are able to contract back in with us again in the future and make it a great place to work for you.
Very fortunate to have worked for NWL, staff and management have a great relationship, everyone seems to be "pulling in the same direction", most enjoyable and rewarding office environment in my experience.
25 November 2019
Great to hear you have enjoyed your time here with us at Northumbrian Water, we really appreciate your time to review us.

Our customers will of appreciated the support you have provided during your time with us. We are always keen to support people with their career and we wish you all the success in your future career.
Enjoyed my time contracting here.Very professional experience, completed my projects on time, due to some amazing people. I would contract again with NHW again if the opportunity arises.
25 November 2019
Great to hear you enjoyed your time contracting with us recently and for sharing this with others too.

We hope we may see you again in the future.
Bullying goes on within NWL if your face fits your ok but if not the management give you no support, if you're agency staff you're a nobody. Management have no people skills at all.
12 August 2019
I really appreciate your honest feedback on your experiences here at Northumbrian Water.

It would be good to understand more about the points you have raised in the cons, so we can work to improve on these, so please feel free to drop me an email (Michael Moore - Resourcing Manager) and I will work with you and my colleagues to try and improve your experience of working here at Northumbrian Water
The facilities are incredible and the atmosphere is one where you can get on with work but still have conversation, every one is part of a team each with different roles that mesh together very well to produce a friendly work place that is still very productive
5 March 2019
Great to hear you are enjoying you enjoyed your time here with us at Northumbrian Water, we really appreciate your time to review us.

Benefits are great, the pay varies greatly across the company.
They do their best to instill a one team approach to the business, but this is flawed due to the poor communications.

Everything is driven by efficiencies for day to day operations, this leads teams to be endlessly stretched being constantly required to take on extra duties with fewer and fewer resources making work days incredibly stressful. Meanwhile you are actively encouraged to paint the company in a good light with "just an hour" activities.

Career progression is spotty at best, again while the endless drive for efficiencies continues opportunities to progress are few and far between, and very little is done to address the issues causing high staff turnover in various areas.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Endless stress. poor communications
5 March 2019
Really sorry to hear you have not had the best experience when you worked for us here at Northumbrian Water. We are really keen to instil the one team approach, so glad you noticed this whilst you were here.

As you have mentioned the efficiencies are something we, like lots of other organisations, are having to work through at the moment and we are continually communicate these through our internal communications and magazines.

We're glad you were able to take part in our "just an hour" opportunities to support our local communities. We are keen to support those communities with our volunteers from the company.

We wish you all the best in your new role too.
I'm only at NWL on a temporary agency contract but it's the best workplace I've been in in my career. Even if I'm back at the bottom of the ladder. I hope I get a chance to stay. At least they saw past my qualifications and didn't dismiss me as overqualified. They gave me a chance.
Pros
Good team. Fair pay.
12 October 2018
Great to hear you are enjoying you time here with us at Northumbrian Water, we really appreciate your time to review us.

We are always keen to support people changing their career and we wish you all the success in your time with us.
5 March 2019

We are always keen to support people with their career and we wish you all the success in your time with us.
Contractors viewed as people to simply deliver the minimum requirement regardless of contract duration, watch out!
I managed the tender, did the Project Plan and a lot more, I did too much, too quickly! But then again, that's me, I work at a high pace and do my best, I don't think in terms of longevity of contract, I simply do my best, to my detriment here, but I left and got a much better contract elsewhere.
3 October 2018
Thanks for adding your review of us here at Northumbrian Water Group. We are really sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience working for us. We will work with our teams to make sure we don't make anyone feel like this in the future.

All the best for your new role
I have worked for NWG for over 4 years and believe everything they do is to the highest ethical standard. They are very focused on development, not only as a WASC but on each individuals career path.
3 October 2018
Thanks for adding your review of us here at Northumbrian Water Group. It's great to hear you are enjoying working with us and helping us to deliver our Vision to be the national leader in the provision of sustainable water and waste water services.
I had a weeks Work Experience at Northumbrian Water Headquarters in Pity Me, Durham. Working with several members of staff, I learnt about the workings of NWL from its ownership to its daily routines. This included the history of NWL, the computer systems and programming, sewerage operations and processes (on site), Health & Safety regulations and Customer Liaison techniques.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
wasn't long enough
Excellent company to work for. Work force is well paid and the company has an excellent benefits package. The company listens to its workers and customers to make it a lovely place to go each day. Advancement is encouraged.