Northumbria Police Employee Reviews

Good working for the system
Intelligence Officer (Former Employee) –  Gateshead and Newcastle23 May 2018
The Police have set challenges which are realistic. Members all work as a team when it is possible. However, officers mainly work as individuals which bring on many challenges.
During my career courses whithin the organisation were available and most considered hard, that is the nature of the service. Management accepted this and were always on hand to assist where possible, their guidance was always given in their own time.
Work place culture was always set to a high standard. There was no tolerance

The hardest part of Police work is the constant paperwork which never ends. There is a belief outside the Police that when you have an arrest you concentrate on that until all the paperwork is completed. That is so far from the truth. During my career it was not uncommon to have a list of 20 plus crimes in your queue which all needed investigating, all with closing dates and all have to be timely updated, these had to be carefully balanced remembering that during a normal working day you still had patrols, meetings, and a steady flow of more crimes dropping into your queue. Police work is hard work .

There a a definate saticfaction at the end of all this paperwork, such as a successful convctions, Meeting tghe public which in my opinion are very nice, even some of the offenders are actually human. Officers must remember to not Dehumanise offenders as some have just fallen to the wayside.
Pros
Good characters in the job, all willing to assist
Cons
The blame game, need i say anything more on that
good experience
Northumbria Police (Former Employee) –  Gateshead9 May 2018
i got given the chance to work with in a police station, while there i got to shadow different parts of the work place and got to see how the different parts work.
Hard working and demanding
Police Support Officer and Special Constable (Former Employee) –  North Tyneside18 February 2018
The role entitled me to overcome fears and limitations. It helped expand communication skills, team working, comradery, trust and the ability to identify risks to myself and others.
Pros
job security
Cons
violent encounters
Very challenging and demanding
Police constable (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear4 February 2018
The police is one of the best jobs. However in recent times, it has become ever demanding and trying to protect the public is proving more difficult to achieve given the horrendous reduction in monies invested in the police by the home office. Despite these challenges, it is rewarding when we get justice for those who deserve it.
Pros
Challenging and rewarding job
Cons
The expectitions of the public given the resources the police have to meet the demand.
Effective and Efficient Customer Service
Customer Enquiry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Whickham Police Station, Newcastle Upon Tyne6 September 2017
Providing public facing reception service to members of the public/internal customers. Learning how to address local priorities and quality of life issues assisting with problems. I had good supportive management. The hardest part of my job was my shift pattern only getting one day off after working several days. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people.
Pros
Uniform provided
Cons
Long Shifts
good employer
Call Handler (Former Employee) –  Ponteland, Northumberland15 August 2017
secure and satisfying place to work. Good training and good people to work with.Long shifts that effect your work life balance but plenty of job saitisfaction
Pros
on site parking good renumerationr
Cons
long shifts
work experience
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne14 August 2017
I was on this job for a week as this was my high school work experience placement so there was no pay, it was the first insight into real working life and showed my how organised and on the ball you have to be. The people i worked with during this time were always helpful and would give me help when needed. i was lucky enough todo and see some amazing things on this job.
Pros
enjoyable work experience
Cons
no pay
Police Officer
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne31 July 2017
This is not a job for the faint hearted. Shift work alone can be areal challenge - trying your best to stay awake at 3.30 in the morning whilst at the scene of an incident is not easy!
Superb. If you can get it.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear3 July 2017
It needs no explanation really. Fabulous career despite the recent pension changes making it less financially attractive, it is an excellent job. Just don't expect to have a social life most weekends!
3 years in
Special Constable (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 February 2017
Worth getting as much experience as you possibly can

A typical day in the life of a Special Constable with Northumbria Police is dealing with emergency and non emergencies in uniform
Great job gone seriously downhill.
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear7 December 2016
Used to be best job but changes to work conditions and management has made job hard to do and low morale throughout the force.
Pros
Cons
restrictive to private life
not receive any job yet
Independent custody visitor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne29 September 2016
I have not received any job advertisement or not start any job so I cannot actually make any review on this page but I believe that this job site may helpful for the people who are looking for job.
Intense, stimulating, passionate and humbling.
Detective Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Serious and Organised Crime Unit22 June 2016
Working as an individual within a team of colleagues with differing skills, we would investigate the crimes of the most organised criminals in the UK.
We would anticipate, confuse, investigate, engage and finally confront these persons who would use the vagaries of the law to avoid prosecution and conviction.

I learned not to be cynical, to appreciate the skills of others and when necessary to appropriately challenge the ideas of managers with a view to achieving successful conclusions.
Pros
Being allowed the confidence to make decisions. Working with well motivated and dynamic thinkers.
Cons
Exposure to the detritus of society.
Interesting
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Gateshead18 June 2016
Work as an intelligence analyst working to identify and help serial victims of domestic violence. My role is to identify and profile these individuals by researching various police systems, documenting their experiences of abuse and crime, whilst searching for noticeable aspects of their lifestyle relevant to their unfortunate circumstances. I then present these profiles at weekly multi agency meetings.

I enjoy this role but would like to progress within my career and would like a job involving more investigate or intelligence work.
High Pressure, satisfying workplace.
Detective Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Various Locations10 May 2016
Northumbria Police are a very good employer providing a good service in a very demanding service.
I have always found them to be a good employer.
Demanding fast paced role
public protection unit (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne18 March 2016
Their is no typical day working for Northumbria Police
a fast paced role working with all cultures.

Key tasks of the Job Liaise with partner agencies Criminal Prosecution Service, Witness Care Unit, Courts. Meet, direct and manage persistent Youth Offenders Utilising National Computer Systems and Force Systems. Manage Bail including curfew checks and the preparation of breach statements And the enforcement of warrants. Provide a central point of contact for Criminal Justice partners through the exchange of information. Intelligence and knowledge sharing to enable the efficient management of offenders. Prepare statements and evidence and attend court when required.
Avoid at all costs
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Various locations22 February 2016
I worked for northumbria for a number of years. In a number of roles as both a police and a detective constable.

It's a terrible place to work, with poor management and little room to advance your career. The organisation has a terrible culture which some would describe as "bullying".

As a Police officer your nothing more than a number. I couldn't wait to leave, really glad that I did. Lots of back stabbing too.

I can believe how many positive reviews there are about the organisarion. The true picture is the one painted by the ex assistant force solicitor.

As the lady said , " The place will suck the life out of you".

Think carefully.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Everything thing else is poor
fun work
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Sunderland22 February 2016
the days where never hard, and got to help with jobs that people never get to see, this means that you had to help keep the veichles on the road for example.
Pros
early finish
Cons
long days
Shambles
Business Support Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Gateshead and Newcastle11 January 2016
Terrible work experience, Managers were never to be seen and lacked communication to all staff. Organisation was also horrendous, Training was terrible too.
Professional organisation
Retired Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Northumbria, ENG20 November 2015
Northumbria Police has changed a lot since 1985 when I first joined, this is mainly due to budget cuts. The cuts have lead to smaller numbers of officers however the comradeship and professionalism of the staff keep morale high in difficult circumstances, this is assisted by a very good Chief Constable.
Pros
Free travel on metro system.
Cons
Unpredictable hours and shift changes