NORTHUMBERLAND COLLEGE

NORTHUMBERLAND COLLEGE Employee Reviews

United Kingdom38 reviews
Left two years ago
Northumberland College was my entry into teaching and I was generally well supported by teaching colleagues.

Management was variable.

My position became untenable with changes in staffing and I took redundancy
Not a good place to work
Could of been a good job but the college was run poorly which had a knock down effect on the staff and resources, poor support and low morale.????????????
Mismanagement from the top
Place had been mismanaged for years and now is coming to fruition with the merger.
Students were had very little consequences when there was incidents or issue, and this was because the college just wanted to keep bums in seats and get them through no matter what.

Not a great place to work but i did make good friends there.
Transfomative
The college is currently transforming after merger. The atmosphere is fast paced with change being introduced and accepted widely. The learner experience is improving and the outcomes for students should reflect these changes.
Poor
Throughout the time I worked for the college, the college went through 3 redundancies which also included getting rid of their apprentices. Higher management do not take into consideration their staff members as best as they could. Management, although we’re understanding at times, there was always siding involved and very opinionated.
Great when I first started
Great place to work when I first started, then threatened with redundancy every summer for 9 years! Management a complete and utter shambles and all seem to do a round robin on the job front!
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Very friendly place to work
I love working here, very flexibly to meet the needs of my family.
Friendly place to work.

Great colleagues.

Excellent terms and conditions.

Restructure every year.
Pressured and busy role
In my role i work in a busy and hig hpressured office. I am very hard working and ensure all of my tasks are complete. The culture in the office is very mixed, with very different personalities - we can have a laugh but also serious when needed.
Education is tough yet rewarding
Education is a tough yet rewarding place to work, always the ability to learn and go further although reward is not always available to support the achievement
Pros
Flexability of working hours
Cons
Heavy workload
Enjoyable place to work
Work with some lovely people and managers are always friendly and helpful. Works well around my family life and ideal location as close to home. Would recommend.
Bad Management
No operational training, so when mistakes were made blame culture was hard.

Now have lots of disciplinary items against my name when none were achieved.
Pros
Small college
Cons
Small college, therefore rumours fly around.
I learnt alot from working here
Was a very challenging place to work for the majority but I owe the college tutors and staff I worked with alot of credit for taking me up to the next level of my career ad for that I will never forget the good times and the hardship.
allright
its ok to work there, not the best, you need to ability to join the college and work stright away, u get no training to be able to get on with your job
Supportive environment but lacks job security
Great friendly and supportive place of employment, however the positions available were mainly on bank for staff who were in the learner support sphere, with little or no opportunity for a standard contract of employment.
There was some opportunity to gain advanced qualifications in the role, the costs of which were met by the college, although its difficult to say what the situation is on that now. Overall a good environment to work in but not a reliable place for job security in the role of learner support.
Pros
Free travel to other campus's
Cons
Bank work mainly
I found it fun learning at northumberland college
I did a level 2 in forestry and arboriculture at Kirkly Hall Northumberland college and I enjoyed learning there and working with the NPTC teacher and making new friends
Pros
making new frends
Productive and relaxed work place
A day at work always had a routine so all the staff new what they had to do. The work was always fun and fulfilling. The horses were a joy to interact with.
Pros
Educational
Cons
low pay for work
Administrator
A typical day at Northumberland College, you are working with a majority of friendly staff and you a gain the experience that you need to do your job.

The downside of the college they have some horrible managers who don't appreciate your work and take advantage of you.
Learning course
Learned cscs labouring card this wasn't a place of work where I was employed? Overall a friendly and reliable source to learn new things would highly recommend
Great atmosphere and supportive team
This is a very supportive work environment with a great deal of experience. All staff are pulling in the same direction and will always help when they can.
Pros
Flexible hours, great team
Cons
Wide geography covered
Quality Assurance of Education & Training Provision
Maintaining good performance by following procedures
Quality Assurance processes

More structured management is required

Team efforts evident

An increase of complaints from internal and external

Hours of employment
Pros
Working hours
Cons
Salaries
Friendly and great place to work
Lovely place to work. I I had the opportunity to work permanently I would have but only managed to get a temporary position.
Great culture, very diverse and well managed. Colleagues were friendly from day one.