Northgate Vehicle Hire Employee Reviews

Great staff and plenty of opportunities to jump at.
Motor Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire22 January 2019
I’ve worked for the company for over six years now, I believe it’s a good place to work everyone gets on and has a laugh. There’s plenty of opportunity for overtime if that’s your kind of thing. You will gain knowledge of Ford and Mercedes Benz diagnostic equipment with chances of going on courses (examples; tail lift inspections, diagnostics training with dealerships or even extra driving tests). All in all I would recommend giving it a chance, I’ve never felt the need to start searching elsewhere since working here.
Pros
Extra day off for your birthday, time and a half overtime, chances of going on courses.
Cons
Slightly long days in some people’s opinions.
Great place of work and great people
Technician (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire22 January 2019
Great place to work, great people,friendly and have a laugh! Good pay! Good workshop! Overall spot on place of work! Straight forward work, fleet maintenance on pretty newish vehicle's! Internal warranty work done on most vehicles!!
Pros
Great people, good money
good company
manager I (Current Employee) –  North West15 January 2019
not a bad place to work wages are good and lots of staff benefits with good collection of work colleagues.

I am provided with a company car which i had to pick from a pretty decent list and have the capability to pay more per month to get a higher spec car.

They give you an extra days leave for your birthday which is good
Pros
good wages
Cons
very weak managers across the business, too many jobs for the boys rather than the correct person for the role
Not a bad environment place to work at.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Cannock14 January 2019
Enjoyed the work with delivery of new and old vehicles. But 80% of staff especially at cannock were not friendly and rude to work with and that's including management. Cause of that reason I would never work for north gate again.
Pros
No food. but respected free coffee and tea
Cons
reasonable hrs
Under appreciated, management determined to run it to the ground.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield17 December 2018
Very strange company. Sack/ push out hand working people, keep on lazy none attending people. Some people get written warnings and pushed to leave over any little thing. Some get away with very serious work related incidents. Management are strange bunch of elderly men who will stop at nothing to ensue only them and there friends get to be in power.. this company is short of technicians and you could be the last technician at a branch that has 100 broken vans outside and the manager will still treat you like rubbish and tell you “I will put you in your place boy” , we didn’t do 3-5 years of training to be looked down on by admin staff or spoken to like scum by managers but these guys would rather let the place go to the wall then treat someone with respect. HR department are a bunch of do nothing yes men and women as far as I could see or ether having orders from above to ignore reports of victimisation and racism if the victims where on the managements hit list or they just didn’t care.
The job itself mostly consists of servicing and tyres which gets very boring very fast and anything more then that and it goes back to dealers under warranty.
The only technicians who work here are technicians who arnt good enough to work in dealerships or enough about them to work at a independent.
18 January 2019

Northgate doesn’t shy away from workplace issues. The branch you say you worked for was identified as having a number of issues that were acted upon swiftly to improve the working environment for everybody within months. Were you still with us, we would hope you would have noticed the marked improvement in experience at the branch due to the changes made.

Many of our workshop technicians are very long serving, and in fact we also have many returners – a number of these come back from dealerships for many reasons including missing the team they worked with at Northgate, work-life balance and the importance we place on supporting them as an individual. I wish you well in your future career.

Outgoing and Fun
Driver (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey28 September 2018
Although only working for this branch for 2 weeks, I enjoyed my time at the Camberley branch. It was good fun to drive vans and cars around, meaning I didn't have to stay on one place. The people I worked with were kind and fun. They showed me very clearly what I needed to do, and were easy to get along with. This made the job more enjoyable in my opinion. I would work there again, given the chance.
Been going down hill for years
Technician (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon12 September 2018
Worked at northgate for 13 years, and can only say the place has got progressively worse in my time there. Poor management with no motivational skills at all. The only good thing to come out of northgate is that I made some decent friends in my previous years. Getting out was the best thing I done. Workshops old, dirty and not equipped for major repairs. And a lack of workshop/technical knowledge. The controller isn’t technical minded nor a skilled mechanic which made the job very difficult. Staff turn around is crazy, as in my 13 years, I’ve probaly had 10 managers and 8 controllers. And then about 25 mechanics which is usually is a team of 4. No training at all! And even if you are lucky enough, they’ll try not put you in a hotel so you have some very long days and they usually send you on the same course 2/3 times as they have no records of you doing them. H+S is non existent. We were allowed to wedge fire doors open on Saturdays as “you won’t get a fire on a Saturday.” Don’t get provided overalls unless you’ve been there for 5 years and they only provide the cheapest ppe possible. The business is more concerned about sticking stickers in windows and making sure vehicles are parked in the correct place. Better places to work than here, everyone I knew who have gone on to other jobs have said they wished they done it sooner. The wages were always good tbf, but depends if you are willing to brown nose your manager as to whether you’ll get an annual increase or shares.
Pros
Not much, decent holiday entitlement
Cons
Poor management, no progression
29 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Indeed.

I acknowledge that historically there have been challenges at our Huntingdon branch and that as a result we have lost colleagues there. However we are committed to improving the branch which is reflected in the investment we recently made to refurbish it, making it a much better environment for both the team and our customers.

We have also recently made changes to the Huntingdon management team. The existing Workshop Manager has been promoted into the role of Branch Manager, he is highly regarded, committed to developing and training his team and is very experienced technically, and I am pleased that we are already starting to see positive changes for the branch and an increase in employee engagement.

Health and Safety is an absolute priority at Northgate, quality PPE is supplied to our employees, we have a Health and Safety team who conduct audits of all our branches, our managers and employees are fully trained on Health and Safety requirements and at no point would we deem actions such as wedging fire doors open as acceptable.

Again, thank you for your review, I am sorry that you feel your experience at Northgate has been negative and I wish you all the best for your future career.

Poor company avoid at all costs
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  West Midlands24 August 2018
Workload is to high, you get made to do things rather than asked. Poor management skills. Nobody seems to know what they are doing and people also think way to highly of themselves.

Definitely wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone

Rubbish pay and constantly messing with pay, I was always out of pocket from this place.

DO NOT WORK HERE.
29 October 2018

It was disappointing to read this review and I would ask you to make contact with me to discuss your feedback – unfortunately from your review I can’t tell where or who you worked for. It’s important that we understand how this has gone wrong for you, we are working on reviewing the Northgate employee experience to build a better future. Your feedback will help us make that experience better for everyone and I would encourage you to contact me at internal.communications@northgateplc.com.

Stay away
Technician (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire23 August 2018
Territory manager is clueless to what goes on at his depots, the branch manager is a bully who has destroyed the depot and staff moral is at an all time low. Really good people with years of experience have been forced out through systematic bullying, some good people still left but depot is in chaos so stay away
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
29 October 2018

Thank you for your review. We take all feedback seriously but are especially concerned when allegations of bullying are made. I would love you to contact me so I can understand this more as we have appointed a new Branch Manager and are starting to see improvements so any feedback will help strengthen things going forward. internal.communications@northgateplc.com.

Terrible place to work
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire10 August 2018
Awful workshop very dark and gloomy no 4 post ramps,no room to manoeuvre vehicles,poor facilities no chaging rooms or lockers so everyone’s trainers and coats spread around workshop,toilets squeezed into a tiny space making them smell, management don’t care for employee (technicians) no overalls supplied, terrible hours 0800-1730 cant do for yourself like go to bank, overloaded with work many mistakes made from cutting corners. Health and safety very poor no serviceable welding masks, no jump packs to starts vehicles which causes huge problems in the yard which is far too small, there isn’t a battery charger in the branch it’s just a joke. Weekend work is not optional, a lot of paperwork and stupid stuff like putting stickers in vans so outdated .I do not recommend to anyone once your in then all the bad times will start
Pros
Don’t have to sign on
29 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. All feedback on Glassdoor is taken very seriously and I have followed up on a number of your points raised.

I am disappointed to hear your comments regarding the facilities provided as we invested in the Leeds branch last year and moved to a brand new site providing much better facilities for our collegaues. We have just invested in a secondary yard as recognise that more space was required due to substantial growth.

Health and Safety is an absolute priority at Northgate, we supply quality PPE to our employees and managers and fully train them on Health and Safety requirements.

Productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol9 July 2018
Friendly colleagues and good work environment. Nice and friendly workplace. Flexible work times and good communication with customers required. Hard working staffs
Pros
Free lunch
Terrible awful
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Scotland6 July 2018
Save time, don’t bother. Worst place on earth. Mangement are also terrible. No sense of people skills. No training provided. Take advice and avoid at all costs.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no breaks
The boss is bully
Moblie tec (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire10 June 2018
The boss is a bully but mainly to women and the way he talks to people is wrong always picking up on the things you've done wrong and never praising the things you've done well I saved this company twice from losing two big contracts company is badly run no organisation skills badly kept stock for vehicles that they maintain on a day-to-day basis always trying to push too much work through the workshop and using inferior equipment wouldn't recommend anyone to work for this company as you are nothing but just a number to this company just another one through the door
Pros
Cons
Boss is a bully and it is badly run
Excellent, Challenging and Rewarding
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands6 June 2018
Northgate really is a business on the move - upwardly.

huge investment in systems, fleet, staffing levels and training have all resulted in a real feel good factor around the place and having the autonomy to make the right decisions for the branches in the area is a great feeling - trust, respect, reward and recognition - that is how I would surmise the business.
Pros
Brilliant Place to Work
Busy Friendly workplace
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire4 June 2018
I have been at Northgate for 18years and have seen some changes through my time. I can honestly say that I love my job and the team that I work with. Everyone works together and tries to help each other out. There are good days and bad days as with any company but if it was that bad I would not still be here. There are lots of opportunities and doors to be opened it just depends if you want to strive for them, equally if you don't then that is absolutely fine.
They are flexible with your work life balance where they can be or have been with myself.
Great place to work.
Pros
Great Team spirit especially at Branch
One to avoid
Finance (Former Employee) –  Darlington24 April 2018
Chaotic organisation ran by clueless managers who got to where they are by brown nosing the department managers. Training is non existant with a strong sink or swim attitude. Lovely long breaks and a very laid back attitude within the finance arm but the rest of the company seems polar opposite with monitored toilet breaks and high pressure.
Would avoid.
Pros
Free easter egg
Cons
No training
ok
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  northshields19 April 2018
good place 2 work management are awful good set of lads spent 11 years there then it came to end through management change and back stabbing people would of still been there today
Pros
nothing
Cons
very long hours
Used to be ok.
Customer Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  North West15 April 2018
Still employed by Northgate but what a pain this job has become. More interested in the shareholders than the staff. Management are hopeless. Forget bonuses as they are unachieveable as a Customer Delivery Agent (we used to be valeter/drivers) Be prepared to be bounced from pillar to post and forget breaks and lunchtime. You eat and drink when they say "Needs of the business" we are always told. Be prepared to be pushed, pushed and then pushed a bit more. Be prepared to be "told off" in a group when someone screws up. Definately a "them and us" feeling at work. They like to use the word TEAM, but there is no team spirit.
Pros
Free uniform and safety shoes. 75% discount on vehicle hire.
Cons
Long hours. Hopeless management.
Poor company to work for
IT (Current Employee) –  Darlington9 April 2018
No leadership
Turnover of staff shocking
Lots if uncertainty with this company as profits are falling. Made recent redundancies with no real reasons given to staff
One day only
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk24 March 2018
I applied and got the job only 2 people applied. After all th harrasment off the recruting company northgate use loads of phone calls and emails followed i had to spend most of the day sitting at a laptop listening to videos and answering questions some you have to get a certian percentage. I never returned the next day . Later in the day i got a phone call asking why i didnt attened the person was nothing short of rude and try to lay the law down to me it didnt work
Pros
Most of the staff seem ok
Cons
You need a good eyefor detail

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northgate Vehicle Hire. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8