Northgate Vehicle Hire Employee Reviews

Outgoing and Fun
Driver (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey28 September 2018
Although only working for this branch for 2 weeks, I enjoyed my time at the Camberley branch. It was good fun to drive vans and cars around, meaning I didn't have to stay on one place. The people I worked with were kind and fun. They showed me very clearly what I needed to do, and were easy to get along with. This made the job more enjoyable in my opinion. I would work there again, given the chance.
Been going down hill for years
Technician (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon12 September 2018
Worked at northgate for 13 years, and can only say the place has got progressively worse in my time there. Poor management with no motivational skills at all. The only good thing to come out of northgate is that I made some decent friends in my previous years. Getting out was the best thing I done. Workshops old, dirty and not equipped for major repairs. And a lack of workshop/technical knowledge. The controller isn’t technical minded nor a skilled mechanic which made the job very difficult. Staff turn around is crazy, as in my 13 years, I’ve probaly had 10 managers and 8 controllers. And then about 25 mechanics which is usually is a team of 4. No training at all! And even if you are lucky enough, they’ll try not put you in a hotel so you have some very long days and they usually send you on the same course 2/3 times as they have no records of you doing them. H+S is non existent. We were allowed to wedge fire doors open on Saturdays as “you won’t get a fire on a Saturday.” Don’t get provided overalls unless you’ve been there for 5 years and they only provide the cheapest ppe possible. The business is more concerned about sticking stickers in windows and making sure vehicles are parked in the correct place. Better places to work than here, everyone I knew who have gone on to other jobs have said they wished they done it sooner. The wages were always good tbf, but depends if you are willing to brown nose your manager as to whether you’ll get an annual increase or shares.
Pros
Not much, decent holiday entitlement
Cons
Poor management, no progression
29 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Indeed.

I acknowledge that historically there have been challenges at our Huntingdon branch and that as a result we have lost colleagues there. However we are committed to improving the branch which is reflected in the investment we recently made to refurbish it, making it a much better environment for both the team and our customers.

We have also recently made changes to the Huntingdon management team. The existing Workshop Manager has been promoted into the role of Branch Manager, he is highly regarded, committed to developing and training his team and is very experienced technically, and I am pleased that we are already starting to see positive changes for the branch and an increase in employee engagement.

Health and Safety is an absolute priority at Northgate, quality PPE is supplied to our employees, we have a Health and Safety team who conduct audits of all our branches, our managers and employees are fully trained on Health and Safety requirements and at no point would we deem actions such as wedging fire doors open as acceptable.

Again, thank you for your review, I am sorry that you feel your experience at Northgate has been negative and I wish you all the best for your future career.

Poor company avoid at all costs
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  West Midlands24 August 2018
Workload is to high, you get made to do things rather than asked. Poor management skills. Nobody seems to know what they are doing and people also think way to highly of themselves.

Definitely wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone

Rubbish pay and constantly messing with pay, I was always out of pocket from this place.

DO NOT WORK HERE.
29 October 2018

It was disappointing to read this review and I would ask you to make contact with me to discuss your feedback – unfortunately from your review I can’t tell where or who you worked for. It’s important that we understand how this has gone wrong for you, we are working on reviewing the Northgate employee experience to build a better future. Your feedback will help us make that experience better for everyone and I would encourage you to contact me at internal.communications@northgateplc.com.

Stay away
Technician (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire23 August 2018
Territory manager is clueless to what goes on at his depots, the branch manager is a bully who has destroyed the depot and staff moral is at an all time low. Really good people with years of experience have been forced out through systematic bullying, some good people still left but depot is in chaos so stay away
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
29 October 2018

Thank you for your review. We take all feedback seriously but are especially concerned when allegations of bullying are made. I would love you to contact me so I can understand this more as we have appointed a new Branch Manager and are starting to see improvements so any feedback will help strengthen things going forward. internal.communications@northgateplc.com.

Terrible place to work
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire10 August 2018
Awful workshop very dark and gloomy no 4 post ramps,no room to manoeuvre vehicles,poor facilities no chaging rooms or lockers so everyone’s trainers and coats spread around workshop,toilets squeezed into a tiny space making them smell, management don’t care for employee (technicians) no overalls supplied, terrible hours 0800-1730 cant do for yourself like go to bank, overloaded with work many mistakes made from cutting corners. Health and safety very poor no serviceable welding masks, no jump packs to starts vehicles which causes huge problems in the yard which is far too small, there isn’t a battery charger in the branch it’s just a joke. Weekend work is not optional, a lot of paperwork and stupid stuff like putting stickers in vans so outdated .I do not recommend to anyone once your in then all the bad times will start
Pros
Don’t have to sign on
29 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. All feedback on Glassdoor is taken very seriously and I have followed up on a number of your points raised.

I am disappointed to hear your comments regarding the facilities provided as we invested in the Leeds branch last year and moved to a brand new site providing much better facilities for our collegaues. We have just invested in a secondary yard as recognise that more space was required due to substantial growth.

Health and Safety is an absolute priority at Northgate, we supply quality PPE to our employees and managers and fully train them on Health and Safety requirements.

Terrible awful
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Scotland6 July 2018
Save time, don’t bother. Worst place on earth. Mangement are also terrible. No sense of people skills. No training provided. Take advice and avoid at all costs.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no breaks
The boss is bully
Moblie tec (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire10 June 2018
The boss is a bully but mainly to women and the way he talks to people is wrong always picking up on the things you've done wrong and never praising the things you've done well I saved this company twice from losing two big contracts company is badly run no organisation skills badly kept stock for vehicles that they maintain on a day-to-day basis always trying to push too much work through the workshop and using inferior equipment wouldn't recommend anyone to work for this company as you are nothing but just a number to this company just another one through the door
Pros
Cons
Boss is a bully and it is badly run
Excellent, Challenging and Rewarding
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands6 June 2018
Northgate really is a business on the move - upwardly.

huge investment in systems, fleet, staffing levels and training have all resulted in a real feel good factor around the place and having the autonomy to make the right decisions for the branches in the area is a great feeling - trust, respect, reward and recognition - that is how I would surmise the business.
Pros
Brilliant Place to Work
Busy Friendly workplace
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire4 June 2018
I have been at Northgate for 18years and have seen some changes through my time. I can honestly say that I love my job and the team that I work with. Everyone works together and tries to help each other out. There are good days and bad days as with any company but if it was that bad I would not still be here. There are lots of opportunities and doors to be opened it just depends if you want to strive for them, equally if you don't then that is absolutely fine.
They are flexible with your work life balance where they can be or have been with myself.
Great place to work.
Pros
Great Team spirit especially at Branch
One to avoid
Finance (Former Employee) –  Darlington24 April 2018
Chaotic organisation ran by clueless managers who got to where they are by brown nosing the department managers. Training is non existant with a strong sink or swim attitude. Lovely long breaks and a very laid back attitude within the finance arm but the rest of the company seems polar opposite with monitored toilet breaks and high pressure.
Would avoid.
Pros
Free easter egg
Cons
No training
ok
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  northshields19 April 2018
good place 2 work management are awful good set of lads spent 11 years there then it came to end through management change and back stabbing people would of still been there today
Pros
nothing
Cons
very long hours
Used to be ok.
Customer Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  North West15 April 2018
Still employed by Northgate but what a pain this job has become. More interested in the shareholders than the staff. Management are hopeless. Forget bonuses as they are unachieveable as a Customer Delivery Agent (we used to be valeter/drivers) Be prepared to be bounced from pillar to post and forget breaks and lunchtime. You eat and drink when they say "Needs of the business" we are always told. Be prepared to be pushed, pushed and then pushed a bit more. Be prepared to be "told off" in a group when someone screws up. Definately a "them and us" feeling at work. They like to use the word TEAM, but there is no team spirit.
Pros
Free uniform and safety shoes. 75% discount on vehicle hire.
Cons
Long hours. Hopeless management.
Poor company to work for
IT (Current Employee) –  Darlington9 April 2018
No leadership
Turnover of staff shocking
Lots if uncertainty with this company as profits are falling. Made recent redundancies with no real reasons given to staff
One day only
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk24 March 2018
I applied and got the job only 2 people applied. After all th harrasment off the recruting company northgate use loads of phone calls and emails followed i had to spend most of the day sitting at a laptop listening to videos and answering questions some you have to get a certian percentage. I never returned the next day . Later in the day i got a phone call asking why i didnt attened the person was nothing short of rude and try to lay the law down to me it didnt work
Pros
Most of the staff seem ok
Cons
You need a good eyefor detail
Job describe very wrongly
Driver Valeter (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire4 March 2018
If you like to work indoors this is the job for you not a driving job at all.
Working from a pda have to valet over 5 or more vehicles within 3 hours impossible.always working at 100mph all day and every day.
Missing out on breaks and when you said you was going on lunch you got a glare
To much work in day to do for NMW and even when you missed any damage to a vehicle the management was on your back never any praise try to avoid
Pros
Cons
Long hours, people with attitudes
Good staff poor management
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Darlington17 February 2018
Enjoyable place to work with good staff but constant change of management at the higher levels made it feel very unsettling and there was always a high turnover of staff as a result.

Values included putting customer first but if Northgate placed value on their employees they in turn would look after the customers.
Pros
Friendly helpful staff
Cons
Constant turnover of management at the higher levels.
Poor company
Rather not say (Former Employee) –  Darlington28 January 2018
Worked at Northgate very briefly and it still felt like a lifetime. Get thrown in at the deep end with a ‘mentor’ but expected to know what to do immediately with internal systems. Can’t approach managers until they come to you at the end of the day for query time. I wasn’t aware of this being new and I approached my manager who completely ignored me in a room front of people. Poor management and poor company morale, you can tell you are just a number. Very clicky company and made to feel like an outsider. Only benefits to this company is the salary is average for what you do and the benefits are good. Overall would not recommend this company to anyone who would like to progress or whoever doesn’t want to be bored senseless and clock watch everyday!
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Management & Lack of training
Great environment to work in
Temporary Customer Delivery Driver/Valet (Former Employee) –  Charlton18 January 2018
Was nice being able to drive brand new vehicles to and from the dealers for a typical day at work. The atmosphere and attention to detail at the company is unbelievable, wished I got offered a permanent job.
Pros
Driving
Cons
Not enough hours
This place is a joke!! Managers useless
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  London18 January 2018
They haven't got a clue just pass the buck all the time. No vehicles across the board. They should only employ people that cone from a rental background and that have common sense.
Cons
Over worked taken for granted
Great bunch of drivers! wouldn't be the job without them!
Driver / Valeter (Former Employee) –  southampton11 January 2018
I worked as a driver/valeter in Southampton in 2015 only as a valeter as then I was too young to drive the vans. The best thing about the job was the drivers, really nice guys and most of the guys in the office too (not many anyway) Makes the job worth while because the pay is basic rubbish (1150 - 1250/pm) if you're lucky but great atmosphere in the canteen everyone got along and makes the day go faster when you can work with nice guys, I would happily rent a van from Northgate because you do get treated with respect. Worst thing about the job is everyone has to go on an induction course up to Darlington where the HQ is based, a very long tiring drive. But it is only a one-day course. You also have to go up to Croydon for a customer service and H&S course (3 days) but they put you up in a 4* hotel with a good amount of money to spend all paid for with a company car too so fairly generous. Couple of simple mechanics when I was there but maybe they've progressed somewhere else, all-in-all I would work for NG again as everyone liked me and still go and visit the guys now and then.
Pros
Great workforce
Cons
money is basic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northgate Vehicle Hire. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8