Northgate Public Services Employee Reviews

FANTASTIC - Unique place to work where you can really make a difference
Customer support (Current Employee) –  Nottingham27 April 2018
Northgate are totally different from other big public service providers who leach money out of tax payers with their bureaucracy and red tape! Working hear you are part of a dynamic team who will make a real difference to the lives of anyone using a public service Northgate are involved with.

Friendly working environment where there is a real family feel amongst the employees and team members looking out for one another.
Pros
Good salary and career progression
Great culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire27 April 2018
The work culture is really great, flexible working from home and nice people willing to help everywhere great people.

Really enjoying the chance to work on great, challenging projects with an excellent opportunity to deliver great work to the UK public sector and really make a difference.

Everybody helps each other, at all levels.

A great group of hard working colleagues
Pros
Great flexibility and benefits.
Best job so far...
2nd Line Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire27 April 2018
I've been with NPS for 4 years, 2 of which were spent in the end user support team and the other 2 years spent on the 2nd line application support team - both great roles with lots of responsibilities. I have progressed in my current role due to my hard work and positive attitude towards work. I am now a highly valued member of an incredibly busy team . You must have a strong work ethic to work here and be prepared to pull your weight. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the incredibly tight SLAs - especially out of hours. however, you are rewarded with a good salary and decent benefits - Flexible homeworking is encouraged when required and you are treated as an adult which is more than can be said for other companies I have worked for... I can highly recommend NPS to anyone considering a role here.
Pros
Homeworking offered when required
Cons
Out of hours support
A good company to work for with helpful and supportive staff.
Support (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom27 April 2018
A good company to work for with helpful and supportive staff.

A number of changes have been made in the last 18 months which have really improved the company as a whole, with Northgate winning many new contracts within public services as a result.

There's also a good range of flexible benefit options available to employees.
Good company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Home27 April 2018
Exciting times at the moment since the purchase by NEC with a great future due to some big contract wins.

I've worked for NPS for 13 years. Not once have I felt the need to look elsewhere.

Hard work is rewarded with opportunities to progress. This can mean long hours on some occasions, but it is definitely worth it. I feel like I am helping the company to succeed.

The ability for me to work from home is a great benefit but obviously this would not be the case for all roles.

The culture is great and within my team it feels like everyone supports each other. This is very important to me.
Great to work for a company that actually adds value to society
Developer (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire26 April 2018
NPS is a challenging but hugely rewarding place to work. There is a really strong work ethic in the areas where I have worked and the recent senior management changes have really revitalised the business.

Best of all is that I am working for a company that creates products that make a big difference to the how effective and productive UK public services are.
Rewarding Job with great prospects for good people
QA Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire26 April 2018
Have worked at NPS for a number of years and really enjoy working there. The environment is very good and there are a lot of really professional people who really support new people joining.

Northgate is a great place for anyone who enjoys a new challenge every day and likes to work in a dynamic environment.

The management culture is very supportive and the benefits are very good and allow you to tailor them to suit your needs.

Throughout my employment at NPS it has been very clear that anyone who has a great work ethic and takes pride in their role will be recognised and will progress within the company.

In summary, a really good employer who are undertaking a lot of positive changes that is demonstrated by the good working atmosphere
Pros
Enjoyable work and challenging in a positive way
Worst place i've worked by far.
Mug (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool28 February 2018
I have been passionate for IT for many years and I was so keen to get back into it after a few years out. Well, I wish I didnt. Probably one of THE WORST places I have ever worked. If you weren't part of the 'clique' you weren't getting anywhere.

Employees are pushed to their absolute limits and are expected to do anything and everything. They pile on the workload whilst the majority of their staff are off sick. The people who are actually GOOD at their jobs suffer because of the people who couldn't care less. Yet they still have their jobs. The managers appreciate nothing. Never once praise you, but so help me if you do one thing wrong you get numerous emails/messages about it. Even for the most minor things.

On a positive note, I absolutely loved my work colleagues, they are some of the most down to earth people I have met. The management on the other hand, are rubbish. I could manage the place better with my eyes closed.
Pros
The friends I made.
Cons
The cliques, peoples attitude. All of the below.
Quite liked it
Apprentice Knowledge Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham14 December 2017
The work environment was great. The people are all friendly. Nothing bad to say about here at all. If the opportunity arose, i would definitely apply here again.
Terrible
Assistant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead6 December 2017
terrible management, Work politics, no pay rise, lack of communication. No Job incentives, Lack of motivation. Management do not set a good example. No real relationships formed outside of work
Great employer offering flexible working
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham18 October 2017
Lots of recent changes have really made a big difference to the companies direction of travel.

Open and honest communication from the top which makes every level feel included and responsible for success.

Northgate is winning lots of new contracts and retaining current contracts which makes it a really great place to work.

I have been here 10 over years now and I have have felt really supported during that time.

Northgate supported me by offering home and flexible working when I had my child and that was really important as I feel I have a great work-life balance.
Pros
Engagement from the top and flexibility
Cons
None!
A good company going through significant change
Services Director (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire26 July 2017
Recent challenges to the business have resulted in a change in senior management and significant change within the business. The Services division has been closed and the remaining services moved into the business lines or into the central IT function.
Northgate shambes
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire13 May 2017
NORTHGATE take over public services cut staff to bone , decimate the service - put in automation that is totally ineffective
Manipulate targets and service delivery and invest nothing in staff training
The salary is appalling and they employ apprentices at minimum or apprenticeship wage without giving them the training promised
Customer service is a busy job that requires proper training and knowledge but this just does not happen
Apprentices are used and exploited as cheap labour - staff turnover is high and morale low
AVOID AVOID AVOID
Pros
Cons
Low pay zero training
Productive & Fun Work Place
Revenue & Benefits Officer (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham10 May 2017
Great company to work for.. Friendly and helpful staff..
Very approachable and easy to get along with.

My work day included inbound calls from a council tax payers wanting to discuss there account(s)

The work place was great, made some amazing friends.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No Paid Breaks/Lunches
bad place to work
Local Welfare Provision Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool24 April 2017
I have been doing the same thing repeatedly for 4 years now. I'm more skilled an intelligent than a vast amount of people in the company with better jobs. The company seems tow work on a who you know basis in terms of progression. The management constantly makes bad decisions.
Pros
none hate the job
Cons
everything about the job
Not prepared to review
Programme and Project Management (Current Employee) –  Home office based5 April 2017
Not Prepared to review but enjoy the Homeworking aspect. Needs investment in internal system. Management needs a review abd processes need to be more effective.
Absolutely Horrible
Eligibilities Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool27 March 2017
No enthusiasm at all. The team was really friendly but personally I think it is the management that has let everyone down. The job is extremely repetitive and the main role is telephone based but the manager won't even let you take a 2 minute break from the phones.
Pros
Getting paid whilst on the toilet
Cons
Barely any time for lunch or break.
Going through a lot of change currently
Manager (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom7 March 2017
Lots and lots of change with the new CEO in place since the end of last year. Management and culture needed a drastic overhaul. Will probably be a good place to work in a few months once changes are complete.
Awful place to work
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham27 February 2017
I have to echo the other comments on here, this place is so unprofessional and if you aren't in the managers clique, you aren't going any where.

No pay rise to match cost of living in last 4 years, no bonus in last two. No chance of promotion, so unless your dream job is answering phone calls and emails, being spoke to like dirt from customers and managers or being lied to, then this probably won't be the job for you.

I have been in full time employment for 18 years and have worked in various places of work and nothing has been this bad. The staff are so demotivated and for good reason, no one listens to them. People try to raise issues in staff forums and are just shot down as management don't agree there's a problem.

I honestly wish I never took this job, as nothing they spoke about in the interview happens.

Dead end job, no prospects, do yourself a favour and look elsewhere
Pros
None, you won't even get free parking anymore
Cons
Literally everything
Worst job ever
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool22 February 2017
I currently work here, and wouldn't reccomend this company to anyone, the management have there cliques and if you don't fit then your life is made miserable being given the most mundane tasks or being left on the phones with 2 advisors with 10 calls in the que one after the other whilst the cliques sit comfortably in admin. The working hours are good, but it's about the only good thing they can offer. Apprenticeships are promised opportunities of advancement, however there isn't really any opportunities as my own manager pointed out there is only a budget to replace apprenticeships with apprentices upon completion as they haven't budgeted to offer full time Jobs upon completion, after being told at interview that they would take people on upon completion of the apprenticeship.
Very disappointed with this company and wish I'd paid more attention to previous reviews left. All the apprentices in my department can't wait to move on and have actively been looking for alternative employment. They don't wish to train apprentices to advance them, only to utilise them for the tasks permanent staff don't wish to do themselves.

I've had quite a few jobs prior to this and have never been dissatisfied in the way I have here, I hope they start to pay attention to the reviews and treat apprentices less like slave labour and more like the future of their company.
Pros
Working hours
Cons
The attitude of the company, the fact that they use apprenticeships as cheap labour.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northgate Public Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Northgate Public Services Reviews by Location