Northern Rail

Northern Rail Employee Reviews

United Kingdom38 reviews
Go with the regime
Excellent place to work, colleagues are fanastic to work with, the travelling and meeting the passengers and no two days are the same just if the management dont like you they will hound you out by any degrading means. The Senior manager puts people into roles that he knows he can control and wont rise above him so manipulates them. Dont get me wrong there is some excellent ones aswell but they work in gear and follow his orders
Pros
The co-workers, benifits, salary
Jobs for the boys
Either your face fits or it doesn’t.

The more you are paid the less you do.

As a cleaner

You are working trackside on the trains

Night shift is much better pay than days
loved working here but very busy challenging role
Dealing with any problems my team had may be personal or work related,dealing with all sickness booking medicals if needed.Also dealing and assessing if the conductor needed any counselling with the Company Doctor and having regular reviews with them.I learned to treat all my staff the same way never prejudging them all of them had different needs.
Assessing staff on route,traction and rules knowledge and taking them for their rules examinations every two years.This was different for new conductors who i assessed at one year then a two yearly basis, i suppose not passing people competent in the role if they did not meet requirements.But i did give extra tuition if needed to help them achieve this position and gain confidence and the role.Most enjoyable part was when initially the Conductor who did their final exams over three days with me and finally qualifying and realising they had gained a position ,this was really satisfying to me.The workplace culture was that they were all one team and we help each other no matter what job title you had my door was always open.
hard working
Its a busy life working for Northern, meeting and greeting passengers checking and selling tickets to those who need to purchase one.
Then you would get the down days of aggressive people, who turn on you in a flash, I learned sometimes its easier just to take it all in and deal with it the best you can even if it clouds your judgement about everything else.
Pros
Meeting People, having a laugh with passengers and colleagues
Cons
Trying to find your next train without another officer being on board
easy Job
good hours nice staff enjyed working for this comany long hours, wish they had more hours for me though as wasnt very many hours at the time i wanted more
Pros
communication skills gaines
Cons
cold
Excellent company to work for
Worked at Northern for 17yrs.
Driving Trains.I drove trains all over the North west,to Stoke,Crewe,Manchester Airport, Preston,Hadfield,Glossop,Hazel Grove,Chester,Blackpool

You have to weat uniform at all times.These are issued and are replenished whenever needed.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Demanding role but enjoyable
There is no typical day at Northern as running a public service often during challenging disruptions can test your customer service skills to the limit.
Pros
free travel
Cons
disruption
Absolutely loved working for this company
I was only a temp cleaner I was absolutely deverstated when job finished everyone was so pleasent from management to cleaners especially Mr juke.. Lots of praise and encouragement all the way... Good training I would go back in a ♥ beat
Pros
Free train travel
Great job, bad management
A purely HR run company..
The job itself is good, you will work with some fantastic people.

The worst part of the job is dealing with the general public, especially when drunk.

You will receive no back up from management when you are in a situation with a difficult passenger.
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Terrible shifts
Always a new challenge
Very challenging to work in unionised workplace

Not pleaseant to be regarded as a southener working in north east even though I had better management experience than my colleagues

Great satisfaction to sort out both technical and managerial problems

Changing technical advancement of equipment
Pros
Shift work
Cons
Safety critical job requires forward thinking
Experience everything
A very lai back environment where you can literally work anywhere in the North of England. Or even go to London sometimes. Great way to learn about business and enjoyed learning how the rail industry works.Can be involved in anything you'd like to be if it interests you.The staff are very friendly and good to work with.
Poor Management
Too busy trying to push on with installing their commited obligations, without having the right management structure in place, suppliers of new equipment in place and getting things rght from the word go and then forever playing catch up
Pros
Free train travel
Cons
Very poor work/life balance
its a ok company to work for,job can be busy at times but normally steady
Day is spent cleaning trains, helping customers if needed.
Learned how to deal with customers in different ways, not every customer is the same.

Management are ok, as long as you are doing what they say... but normally just get on with the job. Applying for jobs with northern rail is not as straight forward,, they put family members first, then move other permanent stuff into jobs that are advertised externally, so outside normal people have no chance of getting a job interview for a job.

The culture at northern rail, is there is a lot of miscommunication and sometimes, you will get the blame for things that are not even your fault.

The hardest part of the job is there are a lot of senior management reporting to other supervisors about the job you are doing, if they are not happy, instead of them coming straight to you to help you. Found that supervisors and management think they are above them selves.

Best part of the job is meetings all the different people on the trains and platforms, even if it is for a brief moment.
Pros
no real pros
Cons
hours are long but steady..
Great company to work for
I was a team leader I had 6 staff under me my fit us was making sure cleaning was done to a night standard and on time ordering stock ordits and back to work review after sickness
Pros
Free travle
a good place to work.
i enjoyed working here, the other staff were friendly and we all worked well together,our job was to clean the trains throughout the night travelling to several different stations. we would all be assigned a particular job and we got it done and even helped one another to get their job done if they were a little behind so i learned that being a good team player was important during this job.
a train every hour
it was a good job as i worked with mates i went to high school with so that wasnt so bad. the only thing that was a bit of a let down is that you had a train every hour which got a bit boring after a while.
Pros
early finish
Cons
a train every hour to clean
I enjoyed my time on the railway. The work was challenging and yet every day was a different challenge. My colleagues were more like family than work mates
Fun environment
Members of staff were very friendly, we all helped one another and got along very well. During my time at Northern Rail I gained lots of friends who I often meet up with, it was located in my area area which made my time travelling easier.
Progressive TOC
Had a really enjoyable 25 year career in the industry. Many varied changes with the customer focus really coming to the fore post privatisation.The business now has new owners and will enjoy exciting times ahead.
Pros
exciting customer and employee centric
Cons
slow to change
Work day's vary everyday. Meet different people all the time.
A day's work will be anything from 6 hours to 10 hours work. Also there is a morning and evening shifts. I have learnt all the safety aspects of the job as required with assessments every 6 months and a 2 yearly train rules and regulations tests. I have also undergone a full retail customer service course which is also ongoing throughout the 2 years with on and off train assessments. In my 12 years on the railway, I have had a numerous amount of managers. I have never really had any problems with any of them. My co-workers at Northern have been nothing more than pleasant to work with and plenty of characters with great advise if needed. The hardest part of the job would be passengers who you can not get to pay for there tickets for there journeys. The really good part of the job i have found is that everyday would not be the same, as generally working different trains lines for each day.
Pros
Long weekend's off every 4 weeks for 5 days
Cons
Minimum breaks on long 9 hour shifts
A challenging role of constant training/working but very enjoyable.
Working various shifts that changed daily to suit train times I would prepare the train doing all manner of health and safety checks. Deal with the public, sell tickets, deal with admin and be responsible for the cash takings working full shifts entirely on my own initiative.
Pros
Free train travel, interesting challenge.
Cons
Very varied shift pattern.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Rail. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3