Northern Ireland Civil Service

Northern Ireland Civil Service Employee Reviews

United Kingdom37 reviews
I had a disability and I worked as hard as I could. I never got any credit from my Director at all whom was my manager. The Director prior to him was a gentleman.
Pros
Flexi hours
Cons
Had to pay for boss tea, then when he told me to take the money out of his pocket to pay for same, he said I stole it.
Poor management, poor direction, inflation rising higher than the rate of pay. Staff overworked and holes plugged with agency staff. Staff not informed when changes are made.
Pros
Flexi Hours
Cons
Poor management
It can be a job for life and has some great perks I.e. flexi hours, all public and bank holidays and 6 weeks leave per year. You could end up working with some great people
Overall I enjoyed working for the Civil Service and would apply again if the opportunity arose.
The benefits included flexi - time and a decent amount of holidays.

Colleagues were friendly and welcoming

Management expected hard work and committment but were usually very approachable if any problems arose.

Work is varied and can involve phone calls with the public.
adequate training and a good team made it easier to work there, the 51 week contract workers do not have the same security as the full time civil service workers
My career in the NICS stretched over 29 years. I had the opportunity to grow and develop during the span of my career. I started off in a clerical admin role and progressed to supervisory jobs in Finance, Lone Parent Advisor an latterly Premises Officer.
As a premises office I was in charge of the heath and safety and well being of the 180 employees and all public who called to the office daily.

It was both a challenging and fulfilling role.

I managed both facilities staff, porterage and security personnel. I was responsible for the Fire Safety and induction training and the annual compliance check as dictated by the Health and Safety of Work Act.

I enjoyed a good working relationship with my colleagues,the HSE and all the maintenance contractors.
Secure place to work. Good opportunities, varied work, promotion opportunities. Excellent training. Plenty of locations on offer. Part time posts exist. Flexible working hours.
Good job security and benefits with regards to sickness absence and maternity leave. However poor payscale in relation to the NHS and other ocupational health providers.
Lots of opportunities for advancement & working in different environments to gain experience of many aspects of Government. Actively encouraged to go forward for promotion.
I have worked in the civil service for over 40 years in various roles from administrating benefits, managing teams, training to working in various parts of the HR Team. I have found my career to be varied, challenging, rewarding and interesting and I would recommend the NICS as a great place to work
Pros
Varied roles
Cons
Commute
While daily tasks were consistent, each day was different. I worked flexi hours and was able to build up enough hours to take days off. I enjoyed being part of the team and feeling valued. There was no hard part to the job. I enjoyed reconciling the daily pay runs and helping people with queries.
Pros
flexi hours
Cons
To get ahead in NICS all you have to do is agree with your manager. Dialogue and reason are discouraged has this only goes against the decision which has already been made.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Completely useless management
Structured day of tasks
Learned to start earlier to build your flexi

Great management at all levels

meeting new people and enjoying breaks in the day

Finishing when you want
My time in the Northern Ireland Civil Service was only as a temporary Worker. I got the job through a recruitment agency and honestly it wasn't the most positive work as I was dealing with people that couldn't find work, had a disability or an illness that prevented them from working. But the job was very satisfying. I enjoyed getting to help people that were less fortunate and needed the help to get back into work. I enjoyed every money that I worked in the Northern Ireland Civil Service
Pros
Flexi-Hours
Brilliant opportunity for students wishing to gain experience in the communications sector. Fast paced and must be able to work on own initiative. Great employee support unit.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Pressure
Good Salary and benefits but difficult to progress quickly. Benefits include flexible working and access to higher education funding. Great pension scheme
Poor management, difficult career progression, no respect for work life balance but secure and enjoyable workplace. Different branches and even offices are the same and training is provided and you can apply for different roles.
Pros
Secure. Full sick pay.
Cons
You are just a number and not valued.
Sort days delivery of post for various department delivery. Reception duties as required. Receive, sort deliveries of goods, stationary etc. Various deliveries to departments throughout the day.

Learned effective team working.

Management were relaxed and easy to work with.

Workplace culture, once again relaxed but accuracy and hard work essential requirements.

Hardest part was physical handling of heavy orders.

Most enjoyable - fun, relaxed team and management.
Pros
Relaxed environment.
Cons
Early, 8am start.
So long ago I can hardly recall! Good staff relations, good team work, flexible hours, reasonable annual leave, good prospects within civil service and good training given.
Pros
Annual leave, flexible hours
Cons
Ever changing policies and procedures
The Northern Ireland civil service can be a good career vehicle. You can achieve promotions and transfer to different sections or departments. You also have the chance to add to your education and skills. It can be very helpful with your work patterns to help with family matters.
Pros
flexi time. annual leave and pay.
Cons
Public don't appreciate the work you do.
A typical day at work consisted of opening the reception desk at 9am. Opening the post. Sending out forms which had been requested. Scanning Checking e-mails dealing with customers on the phone and at the desk. Management held regular team briefings to keep staff aware of decisions that had been made a higher level. The workplace culture was one of happy respected staff who helped out where needed regardless of their job or grade. I learned that I work extremely well under pressure. And that is fine to ask for help when needed. The hardest part of the job was when computers went down and caused delays in your working day. The most enjoyable part was customers leaving the reception desk happy with the service they received,
Pros
Good colleagues. close to home
Cons
Computer systems
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Ireland Civil Service. Our community is ready to answer.
Northern Ireland Civil Service Reviews by Location