Northern Ireland Civil Service Employee Reviews

NICS Occupational Therapist Mental Health
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Belfast City Centre, County Antrim27 September 2019
Good job security and benefits with regards to sickness absence and maternity leave. However poor payscale in relation to the NHS and other ocupational health providers.
Challenging and rewarding place to work
HR Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim8 July 2019
I have worked in the civil service for over 40 years in various roles from administrating benefits, managing teams, training to working in various parts of the HR Team. I have found my career to be varied, challenging, rewarding and interesting and I would recommend the NICS as a great place to work
Pros
Varied roles
Cons
Commute
Loved this job
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Rathgael, Bangor20 March 2019
While daily tasks were consistent, each day was different. I worked flexi hours and was able to build up enough hours to take days off. I enjoyed being part of the team and feeling valued. There was no hard part to the job. I enjoyed reconciling the daily pay runs and helping people with queries.
Pros
flexi hours
Cons
Non merit based organisation where people with management experience or skill are encouraged to make a mess of things
Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Antrim15 March 2019
To get ahead in NICS all you have to do is agree with your manager. Dialogue and reason are discouraged has this only goes against the decision which has already been made.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Completely useless management
9am -5pm
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Belfast City Centre, County Antrim13 March 2019
Structured day of tasks
Learned to start earlier to build your flexi
Great management at all levels
meeting new people and enjoying breaks in the day
Finishing when you want
Admin Officer in the NICS
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Lisburn City Centre, County Down25 February 2019
My time in the Northern Ireland Civil Service was only as a temporary Worker. I got the job through a recruitment agency and honestly it wasn't the most positive work as I was dealing with people that couldn't find work, had a disability or an illness that prevented them from working. But the job was very satisfying. I enjoyed getting to help people that were less fortunate and needed the help to get back into work. I enjoyed every money that I worked in the Northern Ireland Civil Service
Pros
Flexi-Hours
Student Placement - Outstanding Opportunities
Corporate Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim28 January 2019
Brilliant opportunity for students wishing to gain experience in the communications sector. Fast paced and must be able to work on own initiative. Great employee support unit.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Pressure
Good Salary and benefits
Mechanical Engineering Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim19 September 2018
Good Salary and benefits but difficult to progress quickly. Benefits include flexible working and access to higher education funding. Great pension scheme
Poorly managed
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  Various19 August 2018
Poor management, difficult career progression, no respect for work life balance but secure and enjoyable workplace. Different branches and even offices are the same and training is provided and you can apply for different roles.
Pros
Secure. Full sick pay.
Cons
You are just a number and not valued.
Pleasant relaxed work environment
Messenger (Former Employee) –  Stormont, Castle Buildings26 June 2018
Sort days delivery of post for various department delivery. Reception duties as required. Receive, sort deliveries of goods, stationary etc. Various deliveries to departments throughout the day.

Learned effective team working.

Management were relaxed and easy to work with.

Workplace culture, once again relaxed but accuracy and hard work essential requirements.

Hardest part was physical handling of heavy orders.

Most enjoyable - fun, relaxed team and management.
Pros
Relaxed environment.
Cons
Early, 8am start.
Reasonable place to work
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  Belfast11 June 2018
So long ago I can hardly recall! Good staff relations, good team work, flexible hours, reasonable annual leave, good prospects within civil service and good training given.
Pros
Annual leave, flexible hours
Cons
Ever changing policies and procedures
Can be busy and enjoyable
Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Belfast10 May 2018
The Northern Ireland civil service can be a good career vehicle. You can achieve promotions and transfer to different sections or departments. You also have the chance to add to your education and skills. It can be very helpful with your work patterns to help with family matters.
Pros
flexi time. annual leave and pay.
Cons
Public don't appreciate the work you do.
Happy worker
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballymena, County Antrim2 May 2018
A typical day at work consisted of opening the reception desk at 9am. Opening the post. Sending out forms which had been requested. Scanning Checking e-mails dealing with customers on the phone and at the desk. Management held regular team briefings to keep staff aware of decisions that had been made a higher level. The workplace culture was one of happy respected staff who helped out where needed regardless of their job or grade. I learned that I work extremely well under pressure. And that is fine to ask for help when needed. The hardest part of the job was when computers went down and caused delays in your working day. The most enjoyable part was customers leaving the reception desk happy with the service they received,
Pros
Good colleagues. close to home
Cons
Computer systems
Used to have great career opportunities and pension
Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  Craigavon, County Armagh16 March 2018
I worked in the Civil Service from 1988 - 2016 in various departments. I enjoyed my time there. The work was varied and I learned how to treat customers with respect and not to talk down to them as this was an issue with some other staff members previously.

My managers were mostly approachable and any issues were dealt with satisfactorily.

Towards the end of my career we felt under pressure and undervalued due to cutbacks.

We tried our best to help customers but the hardest part was listening to their hardship stories and have limited resources to assist them.

The camaraderie between staff was always appreciated and this along with a good sense of humour made life a bit easier

Pros
Flexi
Cons
Hearing customers financial problems
typical office work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim26 October 2017
My job consisted of filing and issuing job offers service wide. The huge open plan office was fun to work in and for the most part the staff are team players.
Administrative Officer
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Belfast19 October 2017
Very enjoyable job. I was able to complete a lot of training courses.
My job duties were very varied which was good. We worked flexi hours which was great. My working colleagues were lovely to work with.
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim19 September 2017
Only reason I want a new job is I feel it's time for a new challenge the pay is good hours are great especially with flexi hours which is really handy
Pros
Job security
Cons
Policy you work within
A satisfactory employer
Executive Officer 1 (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim19 September 2017
Significant change in Government has reduced my workload considerably and I would welcome a career change.
I have experience working with payroll, HR and Compensation Recovery. I also have considerable H&S experience and qualifications.
My current post is answering correspondence on behalf of my Minister submitted by MLA's. The queries are in relation to Housing Investment throughout Northern Ireland.
Based on the fact we have had no Government for the last 9 months work is non existent and signs for progress are limited. Regardless of the fact we have little or no work it is necessary to attend as normal.
Pros
Flexible working, job security
Cons
Sporadic workload, poor management of resources
Excellent benefits..very little challenge
Section Manager (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim8 September 2017
Poor management, non existent performance management, poor attitude to continuous improvement.
However, excellent benefits package, overtime, parking and pension.
Pros
pension, parking, overtime
Cons
poor leadership, culture from the 1970s
admin
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, County Londonderry6 August 2017
Was a nice place to work enjoyed learning how the business end of things ran once again this was only part of a training course. The staff where very friendly
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Was just training