NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom103 reviews
Happy place
Fair employer hours to suit good atmosphere friendly staff organized pleasant setting happy experiences,not enough midday supervisory staff/underpaid
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Not enough staff
Standard local government workplace.
The salary per hour is reasonable but it is difficult to get sufficient hours to earn a decent living. There's all the usual PC BS but that's par for the course. A lot of teachers (myself included) eventually resign through burnout after trying to hold down 3 or 4 part-time jobs just to make a crust.
Not somewhere I would recommend...
In a 20 year career this was the worst organisation I ever worked for. Disorganised, wasting public money, left hand doesn’t know what right hand is doing most of the time.
Mixed opinions
Overall I do enjoy working for NYCC. I like making a difference to peoples lives, and I enjoy supporting people to get back on their feet (rehab worker).
However, there is a few things that I would change if I could. For starters, the shift patterns are really really bad. I finish work at 10pm and sometimes am in at 7am the next morning. HOW can anyone do their job effectively being deprived of so much sleep? When we bring this up with management we get the same continuity of care response. I feel there is a negative dynamic at times making it an unpleasant atmosphere to work in. Also it is frustrating we get a lot of clients in unsuitable for the level of care they need. But I do find it a supportive place to work and it is nice that they help staff struggling in a non judgemental way.
It was an ok place to work
Needs to be more honest when taking people on saying it was a permanent position and turns out, now that has impacted me on getting a job role back within North Yorkshire county council
great workplace
Really enjoyed my time in employment at the school. Always a fun day at work with the children, helping to provide a range of activities and support children's learning in a fun and engaging way through after school clubs they were interested in.
The employer was responsible and considerate.
I would recommend working for the council as there were lots of opportunities to train and change job roles. The work was demanding and not flexible but the managers were nice and were able to explain why. Encouragement was given at every opportunity.
Not good
Worked at the school in hemingbrough the headteacher would allow the lights on outside but still expected to work in the dark outdoors gritting the ground couldn't see what i was doing. No support from managers at all. They had no concerns about my safety whilst at work. Seem to be more concerned about costs all the time. I was given a t shirt that didnt fit. Manager only came to see me to full in her paperwork
Ok
Money, progression and annual leave were pretty good.

Challenging young people and sometimes not the best colleagues to feel safe and supported.

Overall it was ok. Not the best. Not the worst.
a very rewarding job
a good place to work although very stressful at time a good workforce and ongoing training.to keep up to date within the work, able to fit work life and home life quite easy,
Far better out there
Have worked here for nearly 15years and can safely say that the culture is terrible. Toxic Directors and Assistant Directors firing people and performing constructive dismissal all the time. Childish and gung-ho attitudes to common real life issues where staff are punished for events outside of their control. Nearly at pensionable age now, and my advice to others is to avoid working here. PLEASE. It is stressful, terrible for your mental health and you can always do better.
Pros
Good scenery on the commute.
Cons
Horrible work environment. Unstable job prospects.
Excellent
Excellent place to work. Good work life balance. Good support in workplace. Flexible attitude to work patterns. Very friendly and welcoming atmosphere.
So called Managers
Management have no idea of the job, no support, no training that reflects the job..
If you have a brain then your thought of as a trouble maker.

Expected to drive vehicles unfit for purpose and illegally.
Poor people management and farcical grievance policy
Poor people management and farcical grievance policy in my personal experience.

Unfortunately it's one of the few large employers in the area, so little prospects elsewhere.
Fabulous
Working at the Colburn office has been the best career Move I have ever made.
Professional, friendly, supportive -what more can I say.

I would recommend anyone wanting a career in HAS to look to NYCC.

I couldn’t be happier
Really poor, understaffed, children suffer with repeated changes of workers
Worked as a Social Worker for 13 months in Looked After Children. The council don’t employ agency staff so when staff are on sick or have left the team have to run on the staff what’s left whilst waiting ages for replacements and police checks. 2 managers in the office to the ratio of three staff on front line, managers don’t pitch in and help front line staff they are left to struggle and on the verge of nervous breakdowns
Oppressive and demoralising
I would never work for or recommend anyone to ever work for NYCC.
I saw them treat their employees despicably and couldn’t wait to leave.

I was there for 3 years and was never treated with any respect by anyone of a higher grade than myself.
very difficult role without resources and office space.
I enjoyed working with small groups of children, running social skills groups and advised teachers how to manage certain students by writing individual plans for them. It was enjoyable helping medically ill children keep their education going whilst unable to attend school.
Enjoyed the job..
Enjoyed working at North Yorkshire County Council. A demanding role which I carried out in full and always did extra work. Hemingbrough Primary School where I worked always looked spotless.
Fun and friendly
I enjoyed my time with the Nycc however short and brief it was working with the cook and alongside the staff at the school, most of all seeing all the children enjoying tjirr meals was a delight
People matter?
When I started work for nycc I thought I had found a forever job after my long service of 30 plus years when closer was announced I was the only person in a room full of 60people that realised that adult services was on its knees and the closer of homes would give our service users new services in the private sector upto date new builds and meet their needs.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.