NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

A lot of travelling around in all weathers & late at night.
Short Term Assessment & Re-ablement Team (START) (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire22 March 2018
The job itself was fine but I found management very unsupportive. Driving late at night especially during the dark nights was sometimes scary if the weather was bad & as a lone worker was quite daunting at times.
3 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review for NYCC. We value all feedback from employees, both past and present.

We are always reviewing how we can best support our lone workers and would welcome your feedback and suggestions on this.

If you would like to discuss your time with NYCC further we would welcome a conversation about this. Please contact our Resourcing Solutions team if you would like a discussion on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk.

great place to work
advanced teaching assistant (Current Employee) –  scarborough8 March 2018
NYCC is a lovely place to work, staff are friendly and especially when i was completng my NVQ the other qualified staff members helped me alot i i wasnt too sure.
Poorly run council
Part time caretaker (Current Employee) –  Ripon26 February 2018
found most queries ignored or by-past by so called employment services.

as a part time worker have little or no support, I had to change my working day from a Monday because the council took Bank Holidays off my annual leave.
Pros
Cons
little or no support from council support staff

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for NYCC. We strive to ensure that the relevant support is given to all employees throughout their employemnt and would welcome a further dicussion about your experience.

If you would like to discuss this further please contact our Resourcing Solutions team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk

Many thanks.

Deputy Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire24 February 2018
I work within the children's social care sector. Nycc is a market leader in this field and is a partner in practice council. It's a good place to work with good pay and benefits and a great team.
Pros
Good pay, benefits and pension. Flexible and modern working
Cons
Local authority politics

Hello,
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your time working with us at NYCC. We are very proud of our Social Care service and the work employees within the team carry out.

We are always grateful to hear from our employees and would welcome any further comments about you time with us. Please contact the Resourcing Solutions team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk if you would like to discuss this further.

Friendly Environment
Cleaning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tadcaster, North Yorkshire1 February 2018
Cleaning Tadcaster Grammar School for little job satisfaction and unequal work distribution between team members.

Relationships with the staff at the school was the most enjoyable part whilst the heavy lifting of cleaning apparatus was often left to myself as the youngest male on the team.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Uneven work distribution
1 March 2018

Hello, many thanks for taking the time to leave a review for NYCC. We appreciate your feedback and would welcome a further disussion on this. We would like to ensure that all employees are happy in their roles and feel the relevant support is provided throughout.

If youd would like to discuss this further please contact the Resourcing Solutions team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk

Excellent team.
START worker (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire15 January 2018
I was very fortunate to have had an excellent manager working within the LD START in Scarborough before the restructure. If I could find this again since moving to Scotland, in my new job, then that would be the icing on the cake. If you work and take on the job in hand then you will have no problems.
19 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with NYCC. We strive to ensure that managers are supporting their staff and we are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience in your role.

We very much hope that your new job works out for you!

The job was itself was fine.
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire26 December 2017
Management do not always do the right thing. Will stick together so complaining not advised you will waste your time. Do not tell you about existing rules.
Pros
Not over worked
Cons
Not told anout existing rules
3 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for NYCC. We appreciate all feedback and would welcome a further discussion about your comments. Along with our staff survey this really helps us to reflect on our work and ensure all employees are voicing their thoughts.

If you would like a further disussion we would very much welcome this. Please contact resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk and a member of the team will contact you to discuss.

A stable job
START worker (Current Employee) –  Leyburn, North Yorkshire23 December 2017
Hours aren't very flexible due to the set shift patterns.
Good people to work with though and being the council it is a stable job. I do wish their was more career progression however.
3 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for NYCC. We very much appreciate your feedback. We want to ensure all employees feel thoroughly supported in their role and would encourage you to contact us to further discuss your feedback.

If you would like to discuss your comments we would very much welcome this. Please contact resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk and a member of the team will be in touch.

Cleaner
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Northallerton23 October 2017
Cleaning offices in a council.
Enjoyable working environment
Management very nice and understanding
Relaxed job environment, easy to co operate and workload never too much for individual person
5 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are really pleased to hear that your time at NYCC has been enjoyable and positive.

We try to ensure that all staff are supported with their workload and we are glad that you felt this was the case.

The Resourcing Solutions team welcome any comments on company feedback so if you would like to go into more detail about your experience working for NYCC please email resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk with a case study of your experience and we look forward to hearing from you.

Primary School health & safety guardian
Caretaker 2 (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire England29 September 2017
Building and grounds maintenance, building cleaning, opening and closing building security, supervising 2 other PT Cleaners.

Work was fast-paced and outside building care took place in all weathers.
Pros
6.5 Contract hours daily
Cons
Split schedule - AM & PM
Progressive and open- minded organisation
Family Intervention Worker (Former Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire18 July 2017
I worked within Children's Social Care and found NYCC more progressive and open to new ideas than previous organisations I had worked for. Effective managers (on the whole) and a reasonable HR system plus great opportunities for CPD- courses etc.
22 August 2017

Thank you for taking time to leave a review of your experience of working for NYCC as a Family Intervention Worker.

As an employer we see ourselves as a progressive, forward-thinking organisation and we do this through annual staff surveys and innovation awards to share best practice across the council.

Within children’s services we are committed to creating a healthy culture so that staff feel that they have a forum to share their views about us as an organisation and the environment in which they work. We pride ourselves in promoting staff development and we offer training opportunities through salary sacrifice schemes to develop professional practice.

Management corrupt
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire11 July 2017
Don't bother working here unless you are related to management. Any private information gets discussed and wages are always wrong. Your expected to do a shift then a sleep in then another shift.
Pros
Ok money
Cons
Too long to list
18 July 2017

Hello, thank you for your review. We’re really sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience. We place great value in our care service and the amazing support our employees provide to the residents of North Yorkshire.

We would very much like to understand the issues you experienced and would be grateful if you could contact us on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk with a suitable contact number so that a member of our team can give you a call to discuss.

enjoyable place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire12 June 2017
I enjoyed working for the council. I worked with a great team to support children within their education. I was offered training opportunities which were of benefit to me.
Pros
Great Team
4 July 2017

Thank you for your review about your experience working for NYCC as a Teaching Assistant. We’re very proud of the impact our school staff have on so many of our young people. It’s also great to hear that you were given training opportunities to aid your personal development which you found beneficial.

The Resourcing Solutions Team is keen to hear from staff in schools to give us an insight the work that you do. If you are willing please do email resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk with a case study of your experience working in an NYCC school and we look forward to hearing from you.

Excellent
General Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eppleby, North Yorkshire18 May 2017
Great place to work, very good training opportunities and they do very thorough checks for the people which they employ. Would advise anyone to work for them!!!
4 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience as a Teaching Assistant. It is really encouraging to hear that you think it’s a great place to work and that you have access to training opportunities for your own career development.

Recently NYCC organised the Teaching Awards for secondary schools across the county. We wanted to celebrate outstanding teaching practice and support from our school staff, and there were plenty of worthy winners and nominees who had amazing contributions to their school!

The Resourcing Solutions Team would like to hear from you so that we can use your views to promote your positive thoughts about working for us in a school by emailing resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk

Poor pay, no training, poor management
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Swale12 May 2017
Employees who have been there for years can be closed to improved methods and new people coming into their empire. Team leaders don't listen to new people and new ideas. Bullying is dismissed with nowhere to turn. People are aware but nobody is brave enough to do anything. Threatening to leave causes no reaction. Wake up NYCC - in the future you just won't be able to recruit.
Pros
Most staff are friendly
Cons
Nowhere to eat lunch except at desk, poor management
18 July 2017

Hello, thank you for your review. We’re really sorry to hear you that you haven’t had a more positive experience working for NYCC. We see ourselves as a forward thinking and innovative organisation and we value hearing about new ideas to improve ways of working from all staff members. It is a shame that you feel you haven’t had the opportunity to contribute in this way. Each year we open a ‘Voice your Views’ staff survey where you have the opportunity to give your opinion on your experience of working for us. All the feedback is reviewed and used to make improvements across each service area.

It would be great to have an opportunity to fully look into the issues that you have raised. If you could please contact us on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk so we can discuss this further.

Workplace not to recommend
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Malton8 May 2017
- Very poor holiday entitlement
- Bad sick pay policy and unclear work policies
- Overwhelming workload
- Inexperienced management
- Benefits that nobody use, as they are insignificant
- extra hours that are easy to loose as you are entitled only to have 12 days f extra hours over the year and I lost around 20 days.
Cons
Long hours, bad sick pay policy, insignificant benefits, bad car lease scheme, not much holidays entitlement, no bun out scheme
19 May 2017

Thank you for your review, I’m sorry to hear that you would not recommend North Yorkshire County Council as a place to work. We welcome feedback from our employees so that we can review and improve the range of benefits we offer and ensure that they remain relevant.

We currently offer all employees a minimum of 23 days annual leave per year which increases with continuous service. In addition in some services employees who work above their contracted hours to fulfil their role can take up to 12 days flexitime per year. We are currently in the process of opening up our flexible working practises so that services can design their own requirements around flexible working. If there are situations where this isn’t working well we would encourage individuals to have a chat with their manager so that a solution can be found.

We value the health and wellbeing of our employees and we provide free access to an Employee Assistance Programme provided by Health Assured Employees. In addition employees are supported by a generous sickness scheme if they are too ill to work.

In addition our Everybody Benefits platform offers a host of employee discounts on a wide range of products and services. Your feedback on the range of benefits we currently offer and suggestions for additions would be welcomed by our Pay and Reward Team and we encourage you to contact them on payandreward@northyorks.gov.uk.

Poorly paid with little chance for progression
Business Administrator (Current Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire4 May 2017
The wages are very low when compared to similar roles in the private sector.

Very little opportunities for progression with many people being forced to do work far above their pay grade with little to no reward.

Many young employees are stuck in roles far below where their qualifications suggest they should be within the organisation.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
low wages with little chance for progression
17 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about your experience as an employee. I'm sorry to hear that you are not positive in your review about your experience as an employee.

You are correct in your observation that we are in competition with the private sector in terms of the salaries we can offer employees. Our additional benefits help to counteract this as we offer all employees a local government pension scheme, flexible working patterns, salary sacrifice and access to leading high street discounts, as well as as annual leave starting from 23 days and rising with continuous service.

The Resourcing Solutions team would like to hear more about your experience so that we can take on board your comments about the limited number of progression opportunities available to you so that we can provide you with advice and guidance to take your NYCC career to the next level though initiatives such as training and learning and management seminars. Please get in touch with the team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk and one of the team will call you back to discuss your concerns.

Management all over the place
Refuse Collector (Current Employee) –  Keighley, West Yorkshire11 April 2017
Was good at first but favouritism, bullying, arrogant. Untrustworthy management that really are two faced. There are a handful of staff I would trust.
Pros
Ok money
Cons
Low staff morale, poor management.
18 April 2017

Thank you for your review and flagging issues within your role. Please do contact Resourcing Solutions Team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk and a member of the team can look into your comments about how we can improve management within your service area.

Fabulous place to work.
Social Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire31 March 2017
I have worked there for 17 years. Pay and training is excellent. Work environment is excellent. Benefits are excellent. It's like being part of a family.
Pros
Training
4 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review, especially from someone with 17 years of service. Social care is an extremely important service area for NYCC so it's great that you enjoy working for us whilst feeling rewarded as an employee.

The Resourcing Solutions Team would like to hear from you so that we can do a case study about your experience as a Social Care Coordinator to encourage more people to get into social care. If you can get in touch with resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk to tell your story we would really appreciate your insight.

Great Team
Passenger Transport Driver/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough15 March 2017
From day one i was made to feel valued, I was helped by other members of staff and formed great friendships straightway,
I loved this job.
sadly it was only a relief position
Pros
Good organisation, great manager, great staff
Cons
there was'nt any
20 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. It's great to hear that you have felt valued and that you enjoyed your role.

If you're interested in a similar position you can sign up to job alerts on www.nyccjobs.co.uk so if a role comes up in your specified search criteria you will receive an email notification to let you know to apply. If you require any further assistance please contact resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.

NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Reviews by Location