NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

An aweful company run by incompetent managers
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Acomb, North Yorkshire28 January 2019
An aweful company to work for. Unintelligent, illiterate managers who are very cliquey. If your face fits, you’re ok, even if you are a completely useless, lazy, uncaring ‘Support Worker. The last house I worked for had 4 staff off at one time with stress/depression, 2 staff were dismissed and 2 resigned.....all within the space of a few weeks! Complete disregard for the poor customers
2 customers have cars, but they are hardly ever used due to lack of drivers
Pros
Fair wage
Cons
Foul mouthed bullying managers
Horrific Management
Cleaning Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire18 January 2019
Hours are long and irregular. You can be out for 3 hours on an afternoon or out for an entire evening working an astonishing 18 hours straight. Even with tracking systems in place they did not check staff were ok during lone working.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
unpredictable hours and short staffed
good training but bad managment structure
Mental Health Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire20 September 2018
I had expected a good experience working for a local council but this was not the case unfortunately. Job was interesting but internal management and lack of boundaries with clients made for an unhealthy working environment. I was shocked to discover working practices in a rural location. Again stress was high due to the team not working together which is essential working in mental health. This was down to the managment structure or lack of.
Pros
training good
Cons
Dreadful managment not willing to look at unhealthy practice
25 September 2018

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry to hear that your experience working for NYCC was not entirely positive. We really appreciate the work our Support Workers do for us and want to ensure that all employees are receiving the support they need within their roles.

We take all employee feedback very seriously and would encourage you to contact us so we can discuss your experience further. If you wish to do so please contact our Resourcing Solutions team at resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk.

Many thanks,
Abi

Care assistant agency
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire2 September 2018
I worked here for 5 months the residents made the just b easier as I could help them with daily living activities. Most of the staff were ok the manager was a bully avoid at all costs unless I want to be unhappy
Pros
Residents being an agency care higher wage
Cons
Where do I start
4 September 2018

Hello,
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are extremely proud of the amazing work our Care and Support staff do across North Yorkshire. We’re really sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience working for us - we take all staff feedback very seriously and strive to ensure that we utilise this to make the relevant improvements to our organisation. We would really appreciate a further discussion about your time working with us, if you would be happy to discuss this please send the Resourcing Solutions team an email with your contact details to resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk.

Thanks again

Abi
Resourcing Solutions

Work place
SEN Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire7 August 2018
Good team members making this particular work place a good one to work for. All staff took time to help/listen and advise if needed.
Nature of my role meant I worked alongside a lot of outside agencies and received a lot of outside training which obviously benefited me and my 1-1.
Pros
Good Staff relations. Outside training.
Cons
nature of child could be challenging at times.
15 August 2018

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We really value your feedback and it is really useful to hear about your experience working as a SEN Teaching Assistant. We are very lucky to have a skilled and dedicated team of staff across NYCC, and we are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed working alongside your colleagues.

We appreciate that the nature of your job can often be challenging, and we strive to ensure that the relevant support is put in place for employees to ensure they feel supported at all times.

If you would like to discuss your experience working for NYCC further, please contact resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk.

Terrible
T.A (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire2 July 2018
While other roles in NYCC may be better, my experience in a school was awful. Existing staff were unhelpful and watched new staff struggle. No support or formal training regarding medicines, personal care, keeping yourself and students safe.
Management asked staff to keep tabs on others and report back, rather than speak to individuals directly. Left within weeks
Pros
Lovely students and families
Cons
Awful staff and management. No formal training to safeguard staff and students
9 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we are extremely sorry to hear you haven't had a good experience.

Please contact the Resourcing Solutions team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk if you would like to discuss this further. We always welcome the opportunity to be able to make improvements wherever possible.

Fab place to work!
Resourcing Officer (Current Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire20 June 2018
Brilliant employer! Excellent pay and benefits packages. THe company really looks after it's employees.
Lots of prosective of career development as well.
20 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are very glad to hear that you have had a positive experience working for NYCC. We try our very best to ensure that our employees feel valued and enjoy their time working for us.

We hope you continue to enjoy your role and any future opportunities with us!

My review
PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire12 April 2018
Good place to work, but my time to move on.... I have been here nearly 12 years and wish to take my Project Management Skills onwards and upwards. I have learned to art of stakeholder engagment, risk management, benefit logs, the importance of milestones and project planning. I have also acquired my PRINCE 2 foundation certificate
Pros
People
Cons
People
3 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for NYCC. We are really glad to hear that you have enjoyed your time working with us and have gained some valuable experience. We wish you every success in your new role!

A lot of travelling around in all weathers & late at night.
Short Term Assessment & Re-ablement Team (START) (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire22 March 2018
The job itself was fine but I found management very unsupportive. Driving late at night especially during the dark nights was sometimes scary if the weather was bad & as a lone worker was quite daunting at times.
3 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review for NYCC. We value all feedback from employees, both past and present.

We are always reviewing how we can best support our lone workers and would welcome your feedback and suggestions on this.

If you would like to discuss your time with NYCC further we would welcome a conversation about this. Please contact our Resourcing Solutions team if you would like a discussion on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk.

great place to work
advanced teaching assistant (Current Employee) –  scarborough8 March 2018
NYCC is a lovely place to work, staff are friendly and especially when i was completng my NVQ the other qualified staff members helped me alot i i wasnt too sure.
20 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It is great to hear that you have felt supported throughout both your job role and training. We hope you continue to enjoy your time with us!

If you would like to go into more detail about your time working for NYCC we would very much welcome this. If you wish to do so please contact the Resourcing Solutions team at resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk

Thank you.

Poorly run council
Part time caretaker (Current Employee) –  Ripon26 February 2018
found most queries ignored or by-past by so called employment services.

as a part time worker have little or no support, I had to change my working day from a Monday because the council took Bank Holidays off my annual leave.
Pros
Cons
little or no support from council support staff

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for NYCC. We strive to ensure that the relevant support is given to all employees throughout their employemnt and would welcome a further dicussion about your experience.

If you would like to discuss this further please contact our Resourcing Solutions team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk

Many thanks.

Deputy Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire24 February 2018
I work within the children's social care sector. Nycc is a market leader in this field and is a partner in practice council. It's a good place to work with good pay and benefits and a great team.
Pros
Good pay, benefits and pension. Flexible and modern working
Cons
Local authority politics

Hello,
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your time working with us at NYCC. We are very proud of our Social Care service and the work employees within the team carry out.

We are always grateful to hear from our employees and would welcome any further comments about you time with us. Please contact the Resourcing Solutions team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk if you would like to discuss this further.

Friendly Environment
Cleaning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tadcaster, North Yorkshire1 February 2018
Cleaning Tadcaster Grammar School for little job satisfaction and unequal work distribution between team members.

Relationships with the staff at the school was the most enjoyable part whilst the heavy lifting of cleaning apparatus was often left to myself as the youngest male on the team.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Uneven work distribution
1 March 2018

Hello, many thanks for taking the time to leave a review for NYCC. We appreciate your feedback and would welcome a further disussion on this. We would like to ensure that all employees are happy in their roles and feel the relevant support is provided throughout.

If youd would like to discuss this further please contact the Resourcing Solutions team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk

Excellent team.
START worker (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire15 January 2018
I was very fortunate to have had an excellent manager working within the LD START in Scarborough before the restructure. If I could find this again since moving to Scotland, in my new job, then that would be the icing on the cake. If you work and take on the job in hand then you will have no problems.
19 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with NYCC. We strive to ensure that managers are supporting their staff and we are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience in your role.

We very much hope that your new job works out for you!

The job was itself was fine.
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire26 December 2017
Management do not always do the right thing. Will stick together so complaining not advised you will waste your time. Do not tell you about existing rules.
Pros
Not over worked
Cons
Not told anout existing rules
3 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for NYCC. We appreciate all feedback and would welcome a further discussion about your comments. Along with our staff survey this really helps us to reflect on our work and ensure all employees are voicing their thoughts.

If you would like a further disussion we would very much welcome this. Please contact resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk and a member of the team will contact you to discuss.

A stable job
START worker (Current Employee) –  Leyburn, North Yorkshire23 December 2017
Hours aren't very flexible due to the set shift patterns.
Good people to work with though and being the council it is a stable job. I do wish their was more career progression however.
3 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for NYCC. We very much appreciate your feedback. We want to ensure all employees feel thoroughly supported in their role and would encourage you to contact us to further discuss your feedback.

If you would like to discuss your comments we would very much welcome this. Please contact resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk and a member of the team will be in touch.

Cleaner
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Northallerton23 October 2017
Cleaning offices in a council.
Enjoyable working environment
Management very nice and understanding
Relaxed job environment, easy to co operate and workload never too much for individual person
5 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are really pleased to hear that your time at NYCC has been enjoyable and positive.

We try to ensure that all staff are supported with their workload and we are glad that you felt this was the case.

The Resourcing Solutions team welcome any comments on company feedback so if you would like to go into more detail about your experience working for NYCC please email resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk with a case study of your experience and we look forward to hearing from you.

Primary School health & safety guardian
Caretaker 2 (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire England29 September 2017
Building and grounds maintenance, building cleaning, opening and closing building security, supervising 2 other PT Cleaners.

Work was fast-paced and outside building care took place in all weathers.
Pros
6.5 Contract hours daily
Cons
Split schedule - AM & PM
Progressive and open- minded organisation
Family Intervention Worker (Former Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire18 July 2017
I worked within Children's Social Care and found NYCC more progressive and open to new ideas than previous organisations I had worked for. Effective managers (on the whole) and a reasonable HR system plus great opportunities for CPD- courses etc.
22 August 2017

Thank you for taking time to leave a review of your experience of working for NYCC as a Family Intervention Worker.

As an employer we see ourselves as a progressive, forward-thinking organisation and we do this through annual staff surveys and innovation awards to share best practice across the council.

Within children’s services we are committed to creating a healthy culture so that staff feel that they have a forum to share their views about us as an organisation and the environment in which they work. We pride ourselves in promoting staff development and we offer training opportunities through salary sacrifice schemes to develop professional practice.

Management corrupt
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire11 July 2017
Don't bother working here unless you are related to management. Any private information gets discussed and wages are always wrong. Your expected to do a shift then a sleep in then another shift.
Pros
Ok money
Cons
Too long to list
18 July 2017

Hello, thank you for your review. We’re really sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience. We place great value in our care service and the amazing support our employees provide to the residents of North Yorkshire.

We would very much like to understand the issues you experienced and would be grateful if you could contact us on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk with a suitable contact number so that a member of our team can give you a call to discuss.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.

NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Reviews by Location