North West Ambulance Service Employee Reviews

Very busy, and sometimes frustrating challenging work place
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Cheshire and Merseyside14 May 2018
NWAS is a committed employer to patient care and employee care working within current political and financial constraintes, In a difficult area of patient care. Always striving to promote employee and patient well being in an ever demanding area.
Pros
Exciting committed team
Cons
long busy unsocial hours
Professional enviroment
Call Handler (Former Employee) –  Horwich1 April 2018
Lovely managers. Great canteen and good colleagues. Traning is giving thouroughly and support is always there when needed vie telephone line or floorwalkers.
great experience helping people in the community
Ambulance Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Manchester26 February 2018
Great career path if you enjoy helping people in the community and are perhaps interested in a career within the Ambulance service.
Rewarding job and no two days are the same.
Worthwhile and rewarding
Control Room Assistant Grade Two (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire21 February 2018
I was involved in Planning and Day Controlling of non urgent hospital transport for the NHS. I enjoyed communicating to patients and other Health Care professionals daily. The hardest part of my job was that sometimes their was not enough resources to provide a ideal service. I would always get satisfaction if a patients arrived on time for their hospital appointments.
Pros
Family freindly
Cons
Relocation to Speke 2018
Dealing with emergencies
Emergency Ambulance Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Manchester31 January 2018
A job that could very challenging, in some very distressing situations. Ability to remain calm, to think clearly, to deal with worried onlookers were essential.
Conundrum
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester28 January 2018
The problem is not with the Ambulance service or the role itself.
There are simply not enough beds in the hospitals and departments don't have any spare capacity.
Pros
Challenging. Diverse
Cons
Too many people papering over the cracks
Patient Transport Service VERY POORLY MANAGED
Ambulance Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Audenshaw, Greater Manchester27 January 2018
lack of compassion towards employees from upper management.
poor management of running of company
many patients left waiting longer than the 2 hour time slot
no progression and they will always try and get out of anything
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester27 December 2017
horrid place to work - if your face fits youre ok. They lack compassion and care of any kind and they have no concept of confidentiality or ethics and law.
Senior Paramedic
Senior Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Greater Manchester27 December 2017
Shift work will always have its challenges, however there are a variety of working 'shift lines' to accommodate this. I feel that the wait in some areas to gain a shift-line will take a while but the colleagues around you will make the wait worthwhile.

Management and culture is changing - a younger workforce with university training and forward thinking is now combining with an older workforce and it is working well for the most part. The biggest challenge is the minority of unsupportive managers, of which I have worked for in my career. However, for every unsupportive manager there are ten more who you'll meet if you stick with the career. These 'bullies' do get found out, and aren't able to go unnoticed now in the culture that is being reborn within the service.

As for the work life balance, this is a difficult one alongside shift work. It works well for some and badly for others. For qualified staff (Paramedics and Nurses) there is now the rotational working option, as well as numerous advancement opportunities.

You will see the best and worst of humanity in any patient facing role. But this is what keeps adrenaline going for some. Personally, I prefer the older adult population and am looking forward to moving into a senior role with a larger focus towards the older adult population.
Pros
Companionship, supportive colleagues, forwarding thinking service with some fantastic urgent care plans, flexible / rotational working options, numerous advancement options
Cons
Shift work, exposure to stressful situations, minority of managers who are unsupportive.
productive
Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester5 August 2017
I enjoy working within the clinical sector and I am able to mange my job quite well and the most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction that I have helped somebody that's needs the help
Pros
working within team good work force
Good Job, Well Paid
Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester3 August 2017
A very busy environment can sometimes be solitary due to the amount of in bound calls, sometimes dealing with challenging calls and people.
Not for the faint hearted, and morale can sometime be low, however ultimately it is a good job with prospect to either side step or progress.
Worst Place ever to work
AACA (Current Employee) –  North West2 August 2017
Long hours . Enforced overtime. nearly a full shift without meal breaks . Bullying, intimidation, Harassment, Discrimination by management.
Very hard to get leave. Disciplinary for being of sick with work related injuries. Management clicks. Not treat with any dignity.
Pros
dealing with patients
Cons
Every thing
Be prepared to be challenged!
Emergency Medical Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside23 May 2017
I am actually on the verge of resigning due to the stress of the role. This job has been the most rewarding, yet the most challenging I have had. There are not enough ambulances and people often do not want to answer the questions you are required to ask so you can expect people to shout at you or become verbally abusive sometimes.

The pay is good but the 12 hour shifts are too long for such demanding and emotional work. I have actually found my managers to be quite supportive.

It has certainly been an eye opener. It is not a case of simply asking the caller the bare details and sending an ambulance out within 15 minutes.
Pros
Good pay, approachable supervisors
Cons
Long hours, abusive callers, time wasting/hoax callers
Very busy, fast paced and stressful
Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  Horwich, Greater Manchester20 April 2017
Excellent rates of pay but a very stressful job with over 600 call queing and waiting to be answered. Lots of opportunities to progress and be promoted and the Team managers are supportive. The shift managers, however, just care about figures
Pros
being rich
Cons
being exhausted
Ambulance Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester6 February 2017
very useful service for patients who are unable to get to hospital appointments or home when they have beeen discharged themselves. Very friendly collegues, caring collegues who communicate very well with patients and remain patients dignity at all times.
good
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester18 January 2017
good company, flexible working, decent pay, managers aren't too helpful, no teamwork, no recognition, long 24 hrs. training was rushed as they wanted us out for xmas
my job role
patient carer (Former Employee) –  audenshaw14 January 2017
Whilst with North West Ambulance Service my main role was to assist patients in need of extra support when going to and from non-emergency appointments, this involved helping the patient when leaving the home and making sure that they were both safe and comfortable. Due to supporting a lot of people with disabilities this would require everything from helping them get out of their seat to assisting the across difficult ground or up flights stairs if necessary. When my team (both office and field based) were working together we had to stick to a set on key performance indicators such as making sure customers arrived for their appointments at the correct time and making sure feedback from the patients was positive.
For a three month period, I was placed in a temporary role based in our office control room. This was very different to being in the field but I enjoyed my brief time with the office based team and it also helped my understanding of how the planning of patient transport worked. Whilst based in the office my responsibilities included answering inbound calls from patients with questions about their transport and booking in discharge patients for transport from hospitals.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
managment
Poor culture leading to poor behaviour and values
Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester30 December 2016
the most enjoyable part of the job is working with great staff who care about the patients and want to always do the best for them even when the demand is unworkable. the hardest part of the job is dealing with a culture that is overlooked by senior team even when it affects individuals who just want to do the best for the most. there are lots of opportunities for learning, developing and a lot of practical support for staff suffering from effects of stress but ignorance towards those who are bullies and allow egos to blank out what their actual role is all about.
Pros
helping people at a time of crisis in their life
Cons
long hours, very stressful, unsupportive senior team
Quite rewarding but sometimes emotional with patients
Ambulance care assistant (Former Employee) –  liverpool3 November 2016
Had a sense of self esteem and well being , knowing that I was helping patients.
But overshadowed by petty polices and working practices that were implemented by the management.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Unsocial hours
Lovely job. No support.
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  North West20 May 2016
The job itself is great and very rewarding. However, alongside this, you will experience;
Excessively long hours often without a break.
Physically exhausting and your health will definitely suffer after a while.
Stressful.
Disciplinary action if you are sick, in the form of "stages" which results in many staff coming into work sick, just to avoid triggering a sickness stage.
Senior management out of touch.
Some equipment needed, has to be purchased by you, for example, not provided with scissors, own torch, own oxygen sats probe.
You get no time to read through your work emails.
Incident reports are now done via the staff intranet and you will not always be given time to do it, resulting in incidents being missed.
Huge bullying culture which is not addressed.
You will notice stock on your ambulance is in poor condition while management are driving round in Range Rover Evoques.
May not have a set shift pattern so your working hours will be given to you monthly, with the option for them to change it at short notice without telling you.
On a more positive note, you can refer yourself for counselling if the stress becomes unmanageable.
Pros
Job satisafction, great co-workers
Cons
Mis-managed. Bullying. Exhausting.