North West Ambulance Service Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
productive
Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester5 August 2017
I enjoy working within the clinical sector and I am able to mange my job quite well and the most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction that I have helped somebody that's needs the help
Pros
working within team good work force
Good Job, Well Paid
Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester3 August 2017
A very busy environment can sometimes be solitary due to the amount of in bound calls, sometimes dealing with challenging calls and people.
Not for the faint hearted, and morale can sometime be low, however ultimately it is a good job with prospect to either side step or progress.
Worst Place ever to work
AACA (Current Employee) –  North West2 August 2017
Long hours . Enforced overtime. nearly a full shift without meal breaks . Bullying, intimidation, Harassment, Discrimination by management.
Very hard to get leave. Disciplinary for being of sick with work related injuries. Management clicks. Not treat with any dignity.
Pros
dealing with patients
Cons
Every thing
Be prepared to be challenged!
Emergency Medical Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside23 May 2017
I am actually on the verge of resigning due to the stress of the role. This job has been the most rewarding, yet the most challenging I have had. There are not enough ambulances and people often do not want to answer the questions you are required to ask so you can expect people to shout at you or become verbally abusive sometimes.

The pay is good but the 12 hour shifts are too long for such demanding and emotional work. I have actually found my managers to be quite supportive.

It has certainly been an eye opener. It is not a case of simply asking the caller the bare details and sending an ambulance out within 15 minutes.
Pros
Good pay, approachable supervisors
Cons
Long hours, abusive callers, time wasting/hoax callers
Ambulance Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester6 February 2017
very useful service for patients who are unable to get to hospital appointments or home when they have beeen discharged themselves. Very friendly collegues, caring collegues who communicate very well with patients and remain patients dignity at all times.
good
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester18 January 2017
good company, flexible working, decent pay, managers aren't too helpful, no teamwork, no recognition, long 24 hrs. training was rushed as they wanted us out for xmas
my job role
patient carer (Former Employee) –  audenshaw14 January 2017
Whilst with North West Ambulance Service my main role was to assist patients in need of extra support when going to and from non-emergency appointments, this involved helping the patient when leaving the home and making sure that they were both safe and comfortable. Due to supporting a lot of people with disabilities this would require everything from helping them get out of their seat to assisting the across difficult ground or up flights stairs if necessary. When my team (both office and field based) were working together we had to stick to a set on key performance indicators such as making sure customers arrived for their appointments at the correct time and making sure feedback from the patients was positive.
For a three month period, I was placed in a temporary role based in our office control room. This was very different to being in the field but I enjoyed my brief time with the office based team and it also helped my understanding of how the planning of patient transport worked. Whilst based in the office my responsibilities included answering inbound calls from patients with questions about their transport and booking in discharge patients for transport from hospitals.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
managment
Poor culture leading to poor behaviour and values
Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester30 December 2016
the most enjoyable part of the job is working with great staff who care about the patients and want to always do the best for them even when the demand is unworkable. the hardest part of the job is dealing with a culture that is overlooked by senior team even when it affects individuals who just want to do the best for the most. there are lots of opportunities for learning, developing and a lot of practical support for staff suffering from effects of stress but ignorance towards those who are bullies and allow egos to blank out what their actual role is all about.
Pros
helping people at a time of crisis in their life
Cons
long hours, very stressful, unsupportive senior team
Quite rewarding but sometimes emotional with patients
Ambulance care assistant (Former Employee) –  liverpool3 November 2016
Had a sense of self esteem and well being , knowing that I was helping patients.
But overshadowed by petty polices and working practices that were implemented by the management.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Unsocial hours
Lovely job. No support.
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  North West20 May 2016
The job itself is great and very rewarding. However, alongside this, you will experience;
Excessively long hours often without a break.
Physically exhausting and your health will definitely suffer after a while.
Stressful.
Disciplinary action if you are sick, in the form of "stages" which results in many staff coming into work sick, just to avoid triggering a sickness stage.
Senior management out of touch.
Some equipment needed, has to be purchased by you, for example, not provided with scissors, own torch, own oxygen sats probe.
You get no time to read through your work emails.
Incident reports are now done via the staff intranet and you will not always be given time to do it, resulting in incidents being missed.
Huge bullying culture which is not addressed.
You will notice stock on your ambulance is in poor condition while management are driving round in Range Rover Evoques.
May not have a set shift pattern so your working hours will be given to you monthly, with the option for them to change it at short notice without telling you.
On a more positive note, you can refer yourself for counselling if the stress becomes unmanageable.
Pros
Job satisafction, great co-workers
Cons
Mis-managed. Bullying. Exhausting.
Professional Emergency Control Centre
Emergency Operations Centre Auditor (Former Employee) –  Anfield Liverpool12 October 2015
Very busy fast paced working environment. Telephone skill and all IT skills learned. Working as an individual and as part of a team. Covering management and supervising. Training staff and keeping things professional. Emotional but rewarding job as you are helping others in their hour of need.
Rewarding and challenging
Emergency Resource Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Preston24 August 2015
a fast pace ever changing enviroment, Policies and procedures changing on a daily basis to deliver better service every time.
Call taker for North West Ambulance
Emergency Medical Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Manchester3 August 2015
A typical shift

A typical shift consists of 12 hours. 2 half hour breaks and 2 15 minute breaks. During this time you're sat in front of a computer answering 999 and non urgent calls from hospitals. Some days you will be answering back to back calls, giving high volume script advice, other days will be relatively quieter having a few seconds to a couple of minutes between calls.

What I learnt

There is a huge lack of education to the public about what an actual emergency consists of. 1% of the calls are genuine emergencies, the other 99% are a complete waste of your time and this will slowly become very irritable to you.

Lack of interest in staff welfare. Which is really bizarre as you'd think people who came into this type of role would be the caring type. Big power complex, advanced paramedics, senior management, there will be a lot of people who will look down at you unfortunately.

Co-workers

Probably the best part of the job. You will meet some fantastic, lovely, caring people and you will meet the odd a-hole (expected everywhere really). I would have left a lot sooner if it wasn't for my colleagues. Most help each other out and keep you going through your 12 hour night shift with quirky humour.

The hardest part of the job.

Having to advise elderly people who have fallen and injured themselves on their own that they're not a priority and to expect a ring back from a paramedic whilst sending an emergency ambulance to someone outside tesco who could easily get a taxi and doesn't have a genuine emergency.

The most enjoyable part
  more... of the job.

The 0.01% of the time you will take a call and you will feel like you've made a genuine difference to someone who needed the ambulance service. And also your co workers.

Summary

Would not recommend the job at all, working for the ambulance service is not as glamorous and heroic as you may think. Long hours sat in front of a computer will eat away at your soul/sanity/happiness. The pay is okay, if you don't mind exchanging your soul/sanity/happiness for coins :-)
Pros
The pay (25% unsociable pay on top of basic wage)
Cons
Long hours, sat in front of a screen, time wasters, power complex colleagues
Shocking company to work for !!
Ambulance staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG31 October 2014
i really don't know where to start. This company has no loyalty to their staff. They would rather replace existing staff with external candidates over the staff who have served for over 10 years with them.
Appalling recruitment team, not managed or challenged in any way.
I could go on but really don't even want to give my time talking about NWAS.
Pros
Nhs discount
Cons
Nwad
this was a voluntary position
community first responder (Former Employee) –  Lytham St. Annes, ENG20 June 2013
i loved the work here but the management has hard to contact about concerns this barrier in communication is what ultimately resulted in me leaving.
Front line support
Ambulance Support Centre Advisor (Current Employee) –  Carlisle Cumbria29 January 2013
Typical day at work, taking calls from ambulance and control staff and dealing with the following issues - emergency vehicle breakdowns and co-ordinating mechanics and engineers for equipment faults, following up with reports. Taking referrals from paramedics for vulnerable adults and children making a report and liasing with relevant social services.Making reports for child/infant deaths and notifying relevant authorities. Assisting all North West ambulance staff reporting sickness, carer's leave and cancelling overtime.Assisting with out of hours IT problems. Adding all aspects onto database. I work with a good enthusiastic team of co-workers. The hardest part of my job is travelling an hour to and from work to work a12hr shift.
The most enjoyable part of my job is having job satisfaction being able to be the first contact and being able to help solve any issues that come my way.
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
having to drive an hour to and from work to work a 12hr shift
Rewarding work
Paramedic/assistant operations manager (Former Employee) –  Barrow ambulance station29 May 2012
12 hr shifts working days and nights on a rota,
Responding to 999 calls and request for transport from other medical professionals and hospitals.
Working in 2 man crews with direct contact with the patients and relatives.
Being able to help people in need is a very rewarding part of the work , but the being unable to help or seeing the distress the loss of a family member can be very stressful .
As a manager learned to coordinate staff, prioritise objectives and audit procedures agains service standards. Required to order stock, uniform,equipment . Carry out routine office administration and staff audits and appraisals.
Pros
very rewarding work
Cons
long hours and can be very stressful