North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust

North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom23 reviews
I was originally offered a post working with NWAS and their 111 operations service. Honestly, it was definitely THE worst career decision I have ever made. I was asked to leave the training programme halfway through as I was told that I had failed NHS pathways training. Despite initially declaring a disability - I received no support whatsoever. A bullying culture amongst senior staff does exist and the 111 service has been drained of any compassion and care to patients. Please avoid!
Pros
Quick resignation process
Cons
Too many to even mention!!
Extremely poor HR and managerial support when most needed, and extremely poor temporary disability support (= zero support). Don't follow their own policies. Disregard for staff or staff needs. Poor staff retention. You find out very quickly that you are literally just a payroll number, and there is no value put on skills and experience brought to the role from elsewhere.
Bums on seats, or you're out.

Clinicians cannot see other people's off-duty to attempt swaps, and no rota requests can be put forward beforehand to allow for hospital appointments etc. Also extremely hard to get annual leave requests granted. This combination makes for a very difficult work-life balance. These types of basic staff management benefits are commonplace in other organisations to boost staff morale and improve staff retention.

Also, it is a very solitary role, even when sat with colleagues close by. It is you, your PC, your headset, and your patient on the line. You literally are stuck sat at a desk for every shift, and electronically timed for every movement such as breaks, loo etc. If you value close team working, time spent reflecting with colleagues and physical patient contact, then this really isn't the job for you. NWAS 111 is honestly the worst NHS organisation I have ever worked for.
Pros
Knowledgeable and supportive clinical colleagues
Cons
Poor management/HR practices, poor staff support, and lack of flexibility
This is an awful place to work. You are bullied and manipulated and treated like you are nothing. You are patronised beyond belief. Please please don’t go there. It was the worst mistake I made and the HR are ridiculous- they offer you the job and keep you hanging on and then within two days you are told to start without being given the go ahead to hand in your resignation with your employer.
If you have a disability don’t bother working for NWAS. I have severe dyslexia, the support on the training course was incredibly poor to the point of embarrassing. Then when in the workplace managers and mentors seen me as a burden and a slow learner and had very little patience during my probation period. I felt uneasy asking for support as my station manager was unapproachable.

A pressurised environment, long hours and on many occasions staff have to go without breaks.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Lack of support
You will have the opportunity to progress through the various pathways of your choice wether you want to start as a paramedic and continue along this path as far as consultant paramedic, or diversify into operational management. You will be supported all the way,
Life as an operations manager is varied and challenging, but the rewards on what you can achieve are amazing. Being involved in the changing face of pre hospital health care is extremely rewarding. If you have the will to work hard and adapt to change then this is the role for you.
Hard work stressful at times but there is support there if you need it from trade unions and peer support and management staff side unions are particularly supportive
This can be a very rewarding job in many aspects. On the front line of patient care we are everything from social workers to counsellors and police.
There is room for progression but staff tend to feel unheard and under valued.
This can be a very rewarding job when you are operating autonomously as a paramedic and delivering patient care. You will also work with some really nice staff who are very conscientious in their work and strive to deliver the best patient care possible. The corruptness of the service beggars belief and the way that statistics and figures are manipulated under the guise of delivering the right care to the right patient at the right time. Nothing is further from the truth with an active shift to actually try to 'NOT' send an ambulance if possible! People waiting for ambulances in excess of 2, 3 and 4 hours purely as they have been incorrectly triaged and then a mad panic to get a response to the patient that really needs one!! Unfortunately many cases ending up in coroners court.

Mangament try very much to intimidate, harass and mislead staff in many aspects.....leave entitlement, meal payments, hours, sickness etc. They will try this moreso with the newer members of staff until they become familiar with what can be can be complicated and vague procedures until explained correctly. Very long hours and nine times out of 10 you will only get 30 minutes break on a twelve hour shift, as you have to try to utilise your second 20 minute break to be able to just go home on time! The reward comes from the patient feedback and making a difference in someones life...you will, however get no recognition or thanks from your management.

Good spirit of teamwork operationally on the road and some excellent staff.

This is my unbiased honest opinion not just a negative view for the sake
 - more...
Pros
Making a difference in a patients life or even saving it, Good colleauges, Some fun times with work friends, Pride in your role as a paramedic.
Cons
Long long hours, Lack of adequate breaks, Little support or recognition, Subtle and even sometimes blatant intimidation and corruptness Work life balance is very poor.
Lovely people and a beautiful head office. I had the opportunity to spend the day in an ambulance. It was a thrilling experience and a real eye opener.

The issue was that the admin job I was doing, which largely consisted of minute taking, was just too boring. I was over qualified and over experienced for the role, and unfortunately, I found that there wasn't adequate advancement opportunities (for admin/support staff) at a quick enough rate for me.
Pros
People, location, part time working.
Cons
Lack of career opportunities/advancement.
I had such high hope for this job. I left a job I loved for increase pay and to build a good Career for myself BIG BIG MISTAKE......it has been sole destroying...The way some managers speak to you is absolutely appaulling.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No one every smiles !! No support what soever
Life changing organisation to work for! If you want to feel undervalued and worthless then please go ahead and take my job! Right hand doesn't know what left is doing, no continuity and not in touch with the real world.
NWAS has completely destroyed me as a person , Ican not be an individual here. ABSOLUTELY SOUL DESTROYING place to work, 10 people resigned in my role whilst I was in the first two weeks of training. Staff are constantly leaving thier desks in tears.

If you are a robot and can't think for yourself - and dont mind beind demoralised daily -apply. But if you have a brain, life experiences, logic, empathy and intelligence AVOID at all costs. NWAS doesn't help people it hinders and destroys them. No wonder the NHS is in such a mess when often NWAS is the starting point.

The retention of staff is none existent.
Pros
Nice location and met some nice people
Cons
Everything - managers cant manage, robot's needed! Not what you need as a member of the public!
Only apply here if you want to spend NO time with your family or loved ones, work awful shifts for terrible management and recieve no help or support!
Pros
Cons
Long unsocial hours, bad management
Nwas is a very staff oriented service.. there is a great community spirit in this organisation. There are many training courses which are open to all staff.
Pros
Great job satisfaction
Cons
A progressive NHS trust striving to deliver high quality care to patients.

Great training and development for all staff with strong career progression paths.

Good pastoral support in place.

Strong links with other agencies such as Police, Fire and Mountain Rescue
Pros
Secure, good salary
No such thing as a typical day they are all different and this is why the role appeals to me.
Sometimes you do feel like you are part of a Team and sometimes you don't because you spend a lot of time working alone out on the road.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Working alone
This is a profession where every time you are called out to an emergency you have to be prepared for anything and everything that comes your way. You also need to keep composed even with the most irate and aggressive type of person and take time and compassion with the elderly.
Pros
Satisfaction of helping people
Cons
very long hours working up to fifteen hours days and nights.
A difficult job at times but very rewarding with an excellent workplace culture.The shifts are long and demanding but fast paced and you mainly feel that you have contributed and made a difference to peoples lives.
Pleasure to work with overall but some logistical nightmares getting paperwork processed by HR who are incredibly slow but also incredibly equally overworked
Pros
Sense of Acheivement saving Lives
Cons
Long Hours
working for the ambulance service is a very demanding role, physically and psychologically, 12 hour shifts are not for all. However day to day no day is the same as the last, each day brings its own challenges.
there is a "family" type atmosphere at times, you need to be emotionally strong and be willing to go the extra mile to achieve the end result sometimes but the rewards in self esteem can be very good.
Pros
good social standing, rewarding, decent pay and ingeneral good working conditions
Cons
long hours, dangerous situations
Overstretched NHS ambulance service. Poorly led vast organisation that has little career development available to paramedics. Poor work/ life balance for frontline staff with late unarranged finishes now been the norm, and poor short notice shift planning. It seems now more than ever staff are voting with their feet and leaving what once was a job for life. I don't believe its any different in any NHS ambulance service, so after 15 years of being a part of the NHS ambulance service it is with a heavy heart that I am looking elsewhere for employment, but believe that the current situation within the frontline of the service is unhealthy.
Pros
reneumeration
Cons
work/ life balance
Ask a question about working or interviewing at North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust Reviews by Location