North Wales Police

North Wales Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews
A stressful but rewarding career in an organisation with many different roles available. Support staff roles can be operational or back office based and offer a variety of activities.
If your looking for employment that will never be the same every day then consider a career in the North Wales Police.North Wales Police is relatively a small force but has all the opportunities for you to enhance your skills and ambi9
Good place to work. Great people work there who become your friends. Supervisors are easy to speak too and will help whenever they can. Shift work is hard but if you are in a good team then it's fine
Local authority employer, large organisation, variable career opportunities, A number of possible work place locations around North Wales. Fair paying employer.
Being able to multitask is a must for this role, especially if you are a Welsh speaker and need to translate Welsh calls into English text on the system. You need a thick skin, be able to think on your feet, be a competent listener (and perhaps not take everything literally) and be incredibly nosey (you HAVE to get as much info from the caller as possible)Stressful environment with a lurking negative and bullying undertone. Many of the staff have been there for years, know the job inside out and are really good at what they do, they have no time for newbies particularly if they think you don't fit in. Be prepared for abrupt interactions, ridicule from some if you say the wrong thing and a general feeling of being back at school
The organisation itself is keen to encourage their staff to attempt to advance into other roles within it which I think is severely lacking in many companies/organisations.
Having a briefing at the start of the shift, getting information about what has occurred in the last 24 hrs. Dealing with incidents involving members of the public such as crime or road traffic incidents. Learnt how to communicate with adults and children. Manage workload in a team environment. Hardest part of job dealing with stress and most enjoyable is helping the public
Great management throughout North Wales Police. Friendly staff and also very helpful. Learnt a lot of new skills as a special constable which I will have for the rest of my life.
Ok if youre a police officer but not that great for police staff especially if youre female; youre on the lowest step. Police officers dont have the people managment skills unlike my previous job where managers were very good. Officers have perks and a career path , police staff dont so dont expect to go up unless you have a friend higher up to help you. there are some nice hard working people and there are some arrogant bullying types.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Attitudes
Working on a temporary contract to cover maternity leave for 6 months.
Historical processes were in built within the administration aspect of the Police. Temps are employed for no reason as I myself had very little work to do each day and could have easily encompassed the temp workload saving thousands per year.

Some long term staff members (at supervisory level) had not moveed with the times and hand wrote "memos" which they then passed to someone else to type into an email to send out on their behalf

This money would have been better spent on actual policing.
Very stressfull, but most enjoyable. Helping people was a very enjoyable experience, but I did have a lot of time wasters.. Some members of the public would ring 101 for the least thing and would expect the police to do things that they had no time or inclination to do.
Pros
Slightly unsocial hours
Cons
Good Pension Scheme
An enjoyable job ,but very busy and working with minimum staffing.

You would never know what job would come in next from a sudden death to a Road Traffic Collision and would have to work in all kinds of weather.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Long hours and shifts
I was a volunteer at North Wales Police during 2016 and they always showed a really good work ethic and the friendliness of the teams were second to none.
North Wales Police is a fun and exciting organisation to work for. NWP is an organisation that provides a wide range of opportunities for all.
Not much advancement from certain roles or support from persons in charge. However the flexibility with shifts and holiday allowance is fantastic but not good if you want to advance within the police from a PCSO role.
Pros
Flexibility.
Cons
No career advancement.
A great organisation to work for; Made Fantastic friends and learnt a lot about Public Confidence; Trust; and service delivery.
Pros
Teamwork; security; varied work on a daily basis
Cons
Varied shifts
Excellent Career, very challenging, highly rewarding, I would very much recommend a career in the Police.
Each day is different, with many testing situations encountered.
Cons
There is no such thing as a typical day in the Police Force. Anything can happen at any time. During my 27+ years I learned many skills, but my areas of expertise are communications, interviewing, investigating and supervising. Team work is so important, and I am pleased to say that my co-workers were extremely good and supportive. The hardest part of the job I found was delivering 'death messages' and the most enjoyable was providing a premier service to the public.
Pros
Excellent working enviroment
Cons
Occasionally long hours
Essential advice and service delivery to members of the public
Pros
Team culture
Cons
No staff bonus or rewards
I have experienced bullying at most of my roles at North Wale Police. I would not recommend them as an employer.
Pros
Good salary for North wales
Cons
Bullying culture, poor management, no support from HR dept.