North Tyneside Council Employee Reviews

Staff wellbeing
Early Life Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne25 February 2019
Typical day puts staff under a lot of pressure and staff do not have the support from management. Management are not very supportive and understanding. They treat you like you are rubbish on their shoe. This is not a good place to work if you end up under the wrong manager.
Pros
No weekend working
Cons
management
Looking for Full Time Permanent work.
Revenues Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear20 September 2018
Low Moral, including myself three Full Time staff and two part Time staff to cover Recovering debts for the whole of North Tyneside.
I've learned to gain a hard skill when insults are drove towards me over the phone when collecting debt. Learn the arts of negotiation to make payment plans with customers and understanding their situation. I enjoyed the job when I started in 2010 but as the years have gone by and private companies come in we have lost staff and the culture is to continue doing the job a normal but with less staff, a lot of stress.
Pros
Friendly staff I work with.
Cons
Long Hours, lack of staff, low salary and benefits.
Great people
Dinner Lady (Former Employee) –  North Shields13 September 2018
I always enjoyed working North Tyneside Council as they are a great company to work for and whilst working for them they can open a lot of other doors for you.
Pros
Good company to work for
Cons
Interesting place to work.
Senior Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  North Tyneside29 August 2018
Varied roles, no two days are the same, learnt how to negotiate with awkward people, worked with a nice group of people who all looked out for each other.
Ok place to work
Highways Operative (Former Employee) –  Killingworth4 January 2018
North Tyneside highways was taken over through PFI the new employer is capita who are not good it’s a money driven company which takes money from your local erea
Pros
A good fun place to work
Childcare Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Riverside, North Shields14 December 2017
I have been a Child Care Practitioner for a long time and have been trained to a professinal standard in child development. Looking after the needs of the children, and the parents. We also do the job of a teacher by tracking the childs overall development.
Pros
Free lunches
Team work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear25 November 2017
Flexibility required
colleagues very friend and helpful
managers support where possible
can opt in to union
restaurant on site
local shops near by
gym membership sales
Professional Singer (Former Employee) –  North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear31 October 2017
A very rewarding job good pay shame it wasnt a full time contract as i would have stayed on, the membership itself sold itself access to all north tyneside council gynes for a very competitive price.
kitchen assistant
Hospitality & Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne28 October 2017
The day starts well enough, just by making sure that there is enough fresh filter coffee and scones, the cafe opens at 9.30 and the doors shut at 3.30 but you are there until 4.30. You clean the tables and sweep and mop the floor so it is ready for the following morning. The cafe is open 7 days a week, the saturday is time and a half and sunday is double time.
Had a really good time there and learned a lot of new things like making a very large batch of scone mix.
Pros
free meals
Cons
not enough hours
Clique culture
Local Government Officer (Former Employee) –  The Quadrant, Cobalt Business Park22 October 2017
Worked in office environment for 25 years. Seen various leaders and their ever-changing-style come and go. With every new, bright and shiny boss...the self serving ambitious staff, think less about the public they serve and more about advancing themselves and ingratiating themselves into the bosses cliques.

The public wouldn’t believe the scrabbling that occurs, by brown nosing staff, stamping on dedicated more quite staff....sabotaging progression and create an oppressive atmosphere...fear of backstabbing and skullduggery. The trouser wearing middle managers (female) are the worst.....anything to bring other women down, whilst fawning over male colleagues.

I respect those that work diligently to provide an excellent public service but despise those that abuse their position.

I left disillusioned.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Disorganised and dishonest management
Enjoyed working in the nursey kitchen
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Riverside centre19 October 2017
A typical day would involve making breakfasts lunches and teas washing dishes keeping the kitchen clean and tidy keeping the stock in order and making sure food prep was done for the following day
Great company providing high quality care for children.
Childcare Practitioner (Former Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear26 September 2017
A lovely environment to work in with a highly qualified staff team delivering support, advice and care to children and their families arounf the local area.
Pros
friendly working team
Cons
heavy on resposibility
shocking
Ind Heating Eng (Former Employee) –  North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear19 September 2017
was taken on to serve the first year of an apprenticeship with no wages to be told I would be taken on properly once I had completed the first year of college, I stuck to my side of the deal and done the work however never got taken on,
I was able to develop and learn new skills
Customer Experience Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear13 June 2017
Varied working place some departments were fantastic others not so supportive

Customer Service Adviser

Fast paced busy Customer service environment dealing with varied queries from North Tyneside residents. Based in one of the busiest front facing offices within North Tyneside. Comprehensive knowledge of Revenues and Benefits, Homelessness, Housing, Environment and general customer queries. Worked closely with Age UK and Citizen Advise Bureau.

Customer Experience Business Analyst

Office based offering support to Customer First centre and Contact Centre. Working on Customer experience projects to improve the customer journey. Developing and analysing reports to identify issues that could be improved. Developing and delivering varied training packages to current and new employees, including specific job based Council Tax, housing, Tyne and Wear Homes, general enquiry's and more general training including Soft Skills and Conflict Management Resolution.
personal Information
Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear13 March 2017
I am a hard individual, i have a positive attitude and i respect others.
All this year of hard work as help me with my confidence and as also helped me to build a good self-esteem. I can work well in team as well as an individual i am good at managing my time when working and i can also work in a stressful situation .
Pros
Open minded people
Cons
long hours and paper work
Very interesting place to work as I enjoy working with the public
Support co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Perth Gardens Howdon8 March 2017
North Tyneside Care Call was a very interesting and satisfactory employment, but due to cut backs I was made redundant.
My job involved installing care call alarm systems into peoples homes. Taking emergency calls on the care call system. Delegating
installations and emergency calls . Taking calls from the public and passing them on to relevant departments in social care.
Pros
Interesting work and good hours
Cons
Doing a lot of driving across the hole of North Tyneside in the winter
rewarding
Transport Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear20 February 2017
Escorting children with disabilities to and from school via taxi. Liasing with parent and teachers to take messages to both. This job was morning and afternoon only. Keeping children settled and occupied in the car was the main part of my job.
Pros
times of the day needed
Great community
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Howdon14 February 2017
Friendly community centre for all ages and abilities
Loads going on in centre
Cafe open Tuesday to Friday
Gym open Monday to Friday 9-8
Fitness classes for all ages and abilities
Knit and natter group
Kids groups
Community garden group
Job has been secure until recent years
Childcare Practitioner (Former Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear27 January 2017
Constant changes in management, restructures on going , changes in jobs of recent years made the job more stressful than it already was, changes in management and job security resulted in a lot of staff going off sick
Pros
Great colleagues
Great benefits, bad culture
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tyne and Wear4 January 2017
Pension scheme is still good and flexi time is great. Other than that the Council is not a good place to be. Too many cuts have resulted in many redundancies and remaining staff have to 'earn their keep' so to speak. Many staff under massive pressures to carry out additional duties as a result of redundancies and every year there is a restructure before Xmas resulting in further job losses.

At one time a job at the Council was a 'job for life' - this is no more.
Pros
Flexi time, friendly staff
Cons
Managers who can't manage, no job security