North Somerset Council Employee Reviews

Friendly
Homeless Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset22 October 2019
Great place to work, where things never remain the same. ... You are made to take on as much work as you can possibly manage, plus extra.

It's a good starting point for experience
Business support Officer (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare10 January 2019
Working for Agilisys was not as bad as I heard it to be.
However, In the two years that I spent working there we had 4 different managers. General management was poor, team managers that hardly knew what they were doing and floor managers that didn't care as long as their jobs were easy and targets were met.
It's a very stressful job. You are made to take on as much work as you can possibly manage, plus extra. There isn't really a support system in place if you can't manage your workload due to lack of staff. You have to work very hard for VERY little pay. There is NO opportunity to progress any further from desk/telephone jockey.
The people I worked with were very warming individuals, however as a team - well, there was no team. People who are only interested in doing there own work even if they have capacity, although are the first to whine if they themselves want help. Could get very venomous, although I think that's just a price you pay for working with a majority female team.
All in all, looking back I realize that it wasn't as bad as i thought it was at the time. If the wages were higher I'd probably go back.
Or it's a good job to start off in to get some experience under your belt.
Pros
Busy office environment, easy to get along with colleges, plenty of work to keep the day going, decent discount benefit system.
Cons
poor management, lack of support, low wages
High level of exceptions with good level of support
Deputy Director (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset28 August 2018
Exceptional challenges with equally exceptional opportunities. Highly motivated and experienced staff enabling the authority to punch well above its weight and a deliver highly efficient services.
Great Team, Unfortunate redundancy's were being made.
Special Educational Needs Officer (Former Employee) –  Clevedon, Somerset2 August 2018
My team was fantastic to work with and the council give generous pay and flexi time. They were going through cuts and redundancies though in various teams which was unfortunate.
Pros
Generous pay and flexi time.
Cons
Council cuts including jobs
Nice place to work in
Nice place to work in, good salary. I was emloyed by agency and by Council in the same role and agency paid so much more than Council. I left the job just few months after I signed contract with the Council.
very old fashioned
All the benefits of working in a LA - e.g. flexible working, good arrangements re child care etc, good salary, but very hierarchical structure and backward culture. not a very innovative place and very hard to change things.
Pros
Flexible working. Good salary.
Cons
Lack of innovation
I did not enjoy working here
Civil Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  North Somerset, Somerset14 April 2018
Getting into arguements everyday. No support from management. A very disliked job from the public. Numbers numbers numbers !! Working every weekend. Taught one thing but reality another.
Pros
Cons
No management backing and are heartless
Young Person Support Worker
Young Person Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Clevedon, Somerset20 March 2018
Worked mainly out of the office on a one to one basis with the case I was dealing with, I would then update all information gained and liaise with the designated social worker. I rarely stayed within the office environment.

Having worked for the police for over 13 years, working within social services was an eye opener. But it was good to see the other side and fully understand the stresses and strains.

My line manager was great, always positive towards my work and the fact that I would just get on with my role. Weekly one to one meetings were very valuable.

Hardest part of my job was not having the tools to do the job, but the most enjoyable was just being able to strike a conversations up with my individual cases - where others had failed. Building up relationships & trust was my main strength whilst in the role
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Not enough support from senior management
good
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  North Somerset, Somerset19 February 2018
It wasn't the best arranged apprenticeship, but I took some useful skills away from my time there. I enjoyed the work life the team I worked in were excellent and very supportive.
Lovely post enjoyed greatly
Shared Lives Carer (Former Employee) –  Bristol11 January 2018
A lovely time providing day supporti for people with Lesrning Disabilities. Unfortunately they were unable to provide me with enough hours. Nothing more to say. Nothing more to say. Nothing more to say.
Pros
Delightful
Cons
Not enough hours available
Bins not all rubbish.
Refuse Driver (Current Employee) –  Biffa, Weston super Mare8 November 2017
Contract currently held by Biffa. Driving the bin lorry is a good job if you want local work. I have been doing the job for nearly 12 years and have overall found it a good place to work. I now feel it is time for me to get back out on the open road rather than the stop start work of refuse.
Pros
Early start
Cons
Working bank holidays
Good employer
Service Accountant (Former Employee) –  Clevedon, Somerset8 November 2017
Work was within continuing reductions in public sector finance and so this presented challenges in demand led services. Working with budget holders and other finance staff was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
uncertainty
Creative Workplace
Health Improvement Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset31 July 2017
Innovative place to work. High level of patient care in all departments and also within staff ethos. Was made comfortable to pursue my work in a creative way.
Workplace
Housing Officer (Former Employee) –  North Somerset, Somerset31 July 2017
I would say although accommodating this local authority has a long way to embedding in real change and bringing the town through a period of regeneration. I think they could be more inclusive and encouraging of different personalities.
fun workplace
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset15 July 2017
This is a good place to work. can be very busy and hard work at times but overall i have really enjoyed working here and the other staff and management are all very easy to get on with.
Buddy Scheme
Buddy Scheme - disabled childrens centre (Current Employee) –  North Somerset3 July 2017
The day centre is run to a very high professional standard where the whole team work amazing together. There any never any issues with staff as we chip in to help one another when needed.
Excellent local authority to work for
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Clevedon, Somerset6 June 2017
Lovely work colleagues, very flexible. Nice, open plan office, subsidised canteen. Free parking.

Workload manageable. Line Manager very supportive if I had any issues
Pros
Nice workplace
Busy, productive workplace
Housing Options Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset20 May 2017
I enjoyed working here, unfortunately this job required a full-time person, which I could not commit to at the time due to just returning from maternity leave.
Great for week work and weekends off.
Carer for family member (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset5 May 2017
Good training and forceful team management. Wouldn't let you fail in the field you chose to take on. However you're a solicitor on the end of the phone and the pay most definitely does not reflect this.
Data Compliance
Very lovely workplace. The staff were extremely helpful and provided me good training and North Somerset Council provides good benefits. I really got on with my manager and work colleagues
Pros
Lovely colleagues
Cons
No overtime available