North Lanarkshire Council

North Lanarkshire Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom94 reviews
Very stressful
Very stressful environment with not a great deal of support from management. I was an inclusion teacher and class teacher who taught autistic children.
stressful and lack of respect for workforce
Lack of respect for workforce - staff are not consulted adequately about their roles and they are often told at the last minute that they are going to be relocated to another area.
managers
to many middle managers,
Wagons are terrible

Staff are excellent

The job is made difficult by managers with little or no information

More you do the more they want
Best place I’ve worked
Relaxed atmosphere, no pressure from the job, the team was amazing, everyone was very helpful, and the job is very rewarding, knowing your helping vulnerable people.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Changing roles
Bad place to work.
Bad Management from top to bottom.
A manager tried to sack me based on a made up story.

They didn't even investigate my side of the story.

I fought this and won my case and was awarded compensation after I told them I didn't want my job back as I couldn't trust the manager who tried to sack me.

Don't bother going for an interview as nepotism is rife in this company so if your not a relative or know someone in there you have little chance of getting the job.
recycling waste
good employer with good benefits. Induction training was thorough and lengthy. There was a focus on health and safety as would be expected.
the job could be slow at points and repetitive.

staff good to work with and a close group. contact with managers was infrequent but got on ok with them.
not a plesent place to work
they do not have time for people with mental health issues ,i was paid off because of mine i also worked for them for 8 years ,i was treated very unfairly because of my mental health, i am also still thinking of taking them to court.
Enjoyable Workplace
It is great working for the council, the number of keen children interested in what you are teaching them is inspiring and makes me love it more. The other staff within the council are great to work with and makes it such an enjoyable job, I never feel like I'm working.
Good
Good job. Sociable hours
Enjoy my role and feel supported.

Good training opportunities

Good location

Hours can be flexible

Varied caseload

Good skill mix in team
Decent place to work
A very ambitious council with well meaning staff and management. I got along very well with everyone. From the assistant chief executives, heads of service, managers to chief executive.
Employer are supportive,great training,acess to.other job roles wich allows you.to progress and gain more skills.
Overall I would recommend North Lanarkshire council as a fair,equal opportunities employer and would not hesitate to apply for a position within the council.
Good
Was a lovely place to work, the people were great and very helpful when it came to training me. I became very independent within my role and managed to learn a lot of new things.
Management have a bullying culture
You are asked to walk ypto 20 miles per day empting bins. The management then want you to do extra work because of the shortage of staff. Overtime is expected.
Health and safety is only followed if it suits the work that particular day. Management will always take the side of the public even if youve been threatened. Councillors always intervene withwith your work

alalwaysintervenes
Estate officer
Bullied and harassed if you dont have a funny handshakes or one trouser leg up your doomed from day one .X police officer thinks he runs the whole department and thinks hes inspector Taggart
productive and fun workplace
I enjoyed working for this company as everyday was different, I had alot of freedom and was able to complete the tasks set for me by the staff members.
Brill
I enjoyed working with nl, it was really good. Staff are friendly and management is awesome. Wished I had stayed at nl, instead of getting my new job which feels like a living hel.
Not Applicable
High volumes of work, working towards digitalisation of Council. High demand for professional work completion in an effective and efficient manner. Working in HR has given various knowledge on terms & conditions of staff both normal workers, teachers and term time staff.
Made good friends
If your face doesn’t fit then your out most of the managers have friends or family lined up for jobs so the interview could be a waste of your time corruption is rife seen it first hand jobs for the boys does still exist gos right to the top of the tree don’t waste your time area manager is a heartless fat reptile (Kirk st wishaw) do believe the hidden hand is at work in this council yes men apply only don’t waste your time unless you support Celtic and are willing to lower yourself to kiss council bum avoid like the plague so corrupt the police should get involved
Pros
Money is ok
Cons
Poor management in bellshill office jobs for their friends and family unless you support celtic
hard working job and the satisfaction of helping the public to lay thier loved ones to rest.
General ground maintenance and preparation for burials daily.working with a small team or alone.dealing with enquiries from the public,dealing with the bereaved,being relocated to other cemeteries to help out with burials or ground maintenance,driving the dumper to backfill graves,strimming and cutting grass with lawnmowers,being stand in chargehand when needed,dealing with phone calls and verifying burial dates,dealing with management.
Pros
helping the public in the bereavment process
Cons
working in extreme weather
Good
Very helpful friendly staff all throughout the company. Alot of updated training and they also very compassionate and understand the importance of mental health
Pros
set shifts
Cons
job itself can be challenging
productive work place
my job had a lot of hard work but was always rewarding when you see the difference you make to a persons life and to the familys life that they dont need to worry as they know the family member is in good hands they build up a trust in you and the person builds a trust in you this is most rewarding in my job without overstepping this trust.

i have learned to always listen to the client and their wishes and to try my best to accoamdate this always using risk assessment and policies to do so,it is also most valuble to interact in all cultures as people may have different ideas on how they do things.

the hardest part of my job is not being able to do more due to financies within the sector but wee all try to do our best on the budget wee have.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that i did my best in any situation i come up against and if iam not sure ask for help to any managment or senior person it is very important to say when you are not sure and get another opinion just to be safe. with this in mind i can get a good nights sleep knowing i handed over with honesty and continued communication.
Pros
milage paid
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at North Lanarkshire Council. Our community is ready to answer.
North Lanarkshire Council Reviews by Location