North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust Employee Review

View all North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust reviews

Terribly managed call centre
Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newburn20 September 2018
The application process is so difficult and long its just not worth the job at the end of it. Staff are poorly treated and really undervalued.
If you are a paramedic here then you'll be treated very well but the same does not apply to call takers (now named health advisors) as you're seen as disposable and replaceable.
Each day you have to find an empty desk to sit at and won't know anybody near you. Teams are not sat together and there is minimal contact with team leaders who don't even work the same shifts as their teams.
You're expected to read the intranet (known as the lamp) each day to keep up to date but are not given any time to do this so have to come in early before shift. When raised as an issue they say you can do this between calls but that's not true as you need to know the information at the start of shift. There is no allocated IT time.
Constant conflicting advice from managers is really stressful and if you follow instructions you will still be wrong. There are clinicians for support but most are not very approachable and can be quite abrupt.
lunch is only 30 min and this is the only call center I know where you are at the computer for so many hours on end with no breaks in between.
There are no team meetings, we are undervalued and even have a less attractive uniform than rest of business. All black, casual and very depressing whilst others get professional looking trousers, crisp white shirts and lapels.
Support is lacking and progression is hard to come by unless you personally know senior managers.
New starters are left alone on their first day
  more... without being introduced to their managers and not knowing who to approach if their is an issue of any kind.
The pay is quite low for the level of responsibility and the intense tests which must be passed during training. Most of my colleagues are searching for work elsewhere after being sold a lie during the recruitment process.
The only joyful experience is walking past reception on a morning and being greeted by Maureen the receptionist, who is everyone's favourite person.
Culture here is terrible and their is a stigma regarding mental health patients, some managers say very worrying things and the attitude towards them is shameful.
Apart from this we don't have the tools we need to do the job, systems work for some but not others and getting anybody to help fix issues is almost impossible.
Overall not a good place to work at all.
Pros
NHS discounts
Cons
minimal breaks, no real teams, lack of support, depressing uniform, conflicting advice, low pay

Other North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Terrible
Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 July 2019
Bullies all over in NEAS. If your face doesn't fit then your out.
Avoid at all cost, not worth your time.
You'll be tied to your phone all day, and be shot if you take a toilet break.
Pros
Cons
Poorly managed
The unhappiest I’ve ever been in any job
Health Adviser (Current Employee) –  Newburn HQ2 April 2019
The open day which told you about the role made it sound amazing. I was so excited to get in and put my heart and sole into the interview. I mean I’d already invested so much time and energy into the application process to get to this point.
NEAS was the job of my dreams. a career, something to feel pride in doing. I couldn’t believe I was successful at what sounded like a prestige workplace to be in.
Training was fine but as soon as the role began things changed. I was miserrable from day one, so we’re many of my teammates, some of them have left already and it’s only been a few month.
I can only speak as a call handler/health adviser, as I’ve heard those on the road have a much better respect given to them.
I’m desperate to find something else now but I wish it didn’t have to be this way. If only the work place was happier and run better then I’d stay. I feel sad that it’s not how it was portrayed and how little management think of us.
I’d really advise against putting your energy into joining here, it’s not a nice place to work.
Pros
Job title makes you sound important
Cons
Unhappy work place to be in