North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom17 reviews
The application process is so difficult and long its just not worth the job at the end of it. Staff are poorly treated and really undervalued.
If you are a paramedic here then you'll be treated very well but the same does not apply to call takers (now named health advisors) as you're seen as disposable and replaceable.

Each day you have to find an empty desk to sit at and won't know anybody near you. Teams are not sat together and there is minimal contact with team leaders who don't even work the same shifts as their teams.

You're expected to read the intranet (known as the lamp) each day to keep up to date but are not given any time to do this so have to come in early before shift. When raised as an issue they say you can do this between calls but that's not true as you need to know the information at the start of shift. There is no allocated IT time.

Constant conflicting advice from managers is really stressful and if you follow instructions you will still be wrong. There are clinicians for support but most are not very approachable and can be quite abrupt.

lunch is only 30 min and this is the only call center I know where you are at the computer for so many hours on end with no breaks in between.

There are no team meetings, we are undervalued and even have a less attractive uniform than rest of business. All black, casual and very depressing whilst others get professional looking trousers, crisp white shirts and lapels.

Support is lacking and progression is hard to come by unless you personally know senior managers.

New starters are left alone on their first day
 - more...
Pros
NHS discounts
Cons
minimal breaks, no real teams, lack of support, depressing uniform, conflicting advice, low pay
Extremely bad 'service' (aka company) to work for. Money is the ONLY motive, patients are a distant second and staff welfare is totally irrelevant. As staff, your a number, a bum on a seat and nothing more. The staff try their best, but are hindered by the Rota's, the HR team, the management and the board. Unions are toothless, managers are bullies and HR are toxic. Believe me when I say to avoid them at all costs!
Pros
NHS discount, job security
Cons
Low pay for responsibility, bullying managers, poor rotas, no work-life balance, no advancement opportunities.
A great place to work, I love my job and enjoy going to work everyday infact this doesn't feel like a job to me. If you're caring and you're a people person this is the job for you. Patient's are great and this job is rewarding. I would say the only downside is the pay but isn't that what most people say about their jobs anyway!
Should you work for this employer ? My advice is no. If you'd like a career in the NHS, then please look elsewhere. Bullying is common place and management are simply terrible. Employer to be avoided at all cost.

stuck in the dark ages.

is huge.

is either
Pros
Its a job.
Cons
But its a terrible place to work.
There are cliques galore, Blatantly abusive and an encouraged nurtured protective Bullying culture. This is a breeding ground for nepotism and funny handshakes, extreme and shocking decisions made that have no structure or support to the taxpayer, to the patient and frontline staff.

It has draconian incompetent unqualified management structure that just wants to get one up on staff (Note - not all).

HR is an embarrassing shambles and is a farcical joke. They are not policed, grossly inept. The department needs a purge a good bowel motion to get rid of the sludge. The majority of the HR staff is rejects from various Trust that have finally painstakingly managed to get rid of. They then come along to NEAS (some with invites - mates of mates) and the Trust simply greats them with open arms and they find a safe harbour forever. The Trust simply don’t retain the good caring & intelligent HR staff that want to make a difference, support & attempt to stop the rot - they where off like scolded cats or bullied out. The clique/ illuminati just keep the bad ones that would not survive in another job. Advice - You need to drain the swamp! TAKE SOME LAXATIVES HAVE A LARGE BOWEL MOTION AND PASS THEM OUT.

Policies for policy sake. Rules are bespoken and made up for the chosen and made up to suit situations and for the untouchables and not followed up - just cherry picked. Totally blatantly shocking.

Mission Vision and Values WTF. It should be ‘If your face fits’

The last CEO ‘OBE’ was well aware all about this as she was told daily by unions and her caring staff. She was
 - more...
‘Family friendly’ complete joke! Worked for 10+ years and its completely changed for the worst. Road staff are constantly punished for the high demand. No downtime for paperwork after a job. No welfare for staff. Changing our rotas with minimum notice and not caring about staff feelings. Because of demand. Instead of solving what isnt working - 111! They punish us. Now considering taking our protected mealbreaks! Avoid this seevice!
Bullies all over in NEAS. If your face doesn't fit then your out.
Avoid at all cost, not worth your time.

You'll be tied to your phone all day, and be shot if you take a toilet break.
Pros
Cons
Poorly managed
The open day which told you about the role made it sound amazing. I was so excited to get in and put my heart and sole into the interview. I mean I’d already invested so much time and energy into the application process to get to this point.
NEAS was the job of my dreams. a career, something to feel pride in doing. I couldn’t believe I was successful at what sounded like a prestige workplace to be in.

Training was fine but as soon as the role began things changed. I was miserrable from day one, so we’re many of my teammates, some of them have left already and it’s only been a few month.

I can only speak as a call handler/health adviser, as I’ve heard those on the road have a much better respect given to them.

I’m desperate to find something else now but I wish it didn’t have to be this way. If only the work place was happier and run better then I’d stay. I feel sad that it’s not how it was portrayed and how little management think of us.

I’d really advise against putting your energy into joining here, it’s not a nice place to work.
Pros
Job title makes you sound important
Cons
Unhappy work place to be in
Management are very unkind and unsympathetic to those with mental health problems.
The rules are rarely followed and more senior managers bully those who are on the phones.

A lot of underhand stuff goes on here and staff are treated terribly. It’s the sheer lack of breaks which wore me down, like a modern day sweatshop.

I agree with other posts that there is so much effort put into recruiting but none put into retention. Many good people have left the business due to poor treatment. It’s really sad to see and demoralising too.
Pros
NHS discounts
Cons
Bullying and only one short break per day
a face fits company if your face fits you will go far if it doesn't you will go no where managers openly victimize staff, and people just stand by and watch like it's the norm.you have no work life balance,managers go against medical advice from there own oc health department just to get you back on the rota, i would certainly not recommend a job in the ambulance service
Pros
im struggling with this one
Cons
everything
Amazing to.work for love the job going to work is enjoy my day to day job never two days the same love fixing things in the ambulance and medical equipment and to no I have done a good job that day
Pros
Good days out and about
Cons
Love being at work it a excellent
Working for NEAS is a rewarding and challenging career, No two days are the same and yet there is a familiarity of routine that gives you a comfortable base of knowledge to work from. The support from colleagues as you work in this demanding job is outstanding.
As a shift worker your time is no longer your own you will miss out on holidays, birthdays, Christmases and any other significant life event that does not fit in with you work schedule.
Pros
great feeling of achievement
Cons
Long hours missed meal beaks late finishes, lackof choice of days off
Was a good role and helped me to develop people and negotiation skills- the work life balance was hard though and struggled working so many weekend and evening without seeing family
I ve worked at NEAS for four years and have seen a huge change in the organisational culture over this time. The management team want to make a positive difference and improve the trust. It s a big ship but is turbo g quickly and becoming an employer of choice in the region.
Pros
Flexibility, inclusivity, opportunities for progressio
Cons
Only part way through cultural change
Some managers openly bully staff in the offices, this is ignored by other senior managers. Unless your face fits, this is can be an awful place to work. Racism and open sexism in many departments. Wages are very high for managers and many middle management posts exist that aren't needed. Paramedics and staff working on ambulances are great, but under appreciated by management.
Pros
Facilities
Cons
Bad management
An organisation where you can be challenged and have the opportunity to work to your full potential. Management are supportive and care for the welfare of the staff.
Very unhappy place to work. Management openly admit to not caring about staff who are not registrants (Paramedics). Non-registrants are treated abysmally.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list