North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Terrible
Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 July 2019
Bullies all over in NEAS. If your face doesn't fit then your out.
Avoid at all cost, not worth your time.
You'll be tied to your phone all day, and be shot if you take a toilet break.
Pros
Cons
Poorly managed
The unhappiest I’ve ever been in any job
Health Adviser (Current Employee) –  Newburn HQ2 April 2019
The open day which told you about the role made it sound amazing. I was so excited to get in and put my heart and sole into the interview. I mean I’d already invested so much time and energy into the application process to get to this point.
NEAS was the job of my dreams. a career, something to feel pride in doing. I couldn’t believe I was successful at what sounded like a prestige workplace to be in.
Training was fine but as soon as the role began things changed. I was miserrable from day one, so we’re many of my teammates, some of them have left already and it’s only been a few month.
I can only speak as a call handler/health adviser, as I’ve heard those on the road have a much better respect given to them.
I’m desperate to find something else now but I wish it didn’t have to be this way. If only the work place was happier and run better then I’d stay. I feel sad that it’s not how it was portrayed and how little management think of us.
I’d really advise against putting your energy into joining here, it’s not a nice place to work.
Pros
Job title makes you sound important
Cons
Unhappy work place to be in
For an NHS organisation, this place is shocking
Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newburn28 March 2019
Management are very unkind and unsympathetic to those with mental health problems.
The rules are rarely followed and more senior managers bully those who are on the phones.
A lot of underhand stuff goes on here and staff are treated terribly. It’s the sheer lack of breaks which wore me down, like a modern day sweatshop.
I agree with other posts that there is so much effort put into recruiting but none put into retention. Many good people have left the business due to poor treatment. It’s really sad to see and demoralising too.
Pros
NHS discounts
Cons
Bullying and only one short break per day
bully mentality
Ambulance Crew (Former Employee) –  North East16 March 2019
a face fits company if your face fits you will go far if it doesn't you will go no where managers openly victimize staff, and people just stand by and watch like it's the norm.you have no work life balance,managers go against medical advice from there own oc health department just to get you back on the rota, i would certainly not recommend a job in the ambulance service
Pros
im struggling with this one
Cons
everything
Excellent
Ambulance resources assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 March 2019
Amazing to.work for love the job going to work is enjoy my day to day job never two days the same love fixing things in the ambulance and medical equipment and to no I have done a good job that day
Pros
Good days out and about
Cons
Love being at work it a excellent
Life as an Emergency Worker
Advanced Technician (Current Employee) –  Alnwick18 October 2018
Working for NEAS is a rewarding and challenging career, No two days are the same and yet there is a familiarity of routine that gives you a comfortable base of knowledge to work from. The support from colleagues as you work in this demanding job is outstanding.
As a shift worker your time is no longer your own you will miss out on holidays, birthdays, Christmases and any other significant life event that does not fit in with you work schedule.
Pros
great feeling of achievement
Cons
Long hours missed meal beaks late finishes, lackof choice of days off
Good workplace- no work life balance though
Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear19 August 2018
Was a good role and helped me to develop people and negotiation skills- the work life balance was hard though and struggled working so many weekend and evening without seeing family
Good place to work, family feeling, flexible working, inclusive, going through a positive period of change
Support sevices HQ (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 June 2018
I ve worked at NEAS for four years and have seen a huge change in the organisational culture over this time. The management team want to make a positive difference and improve the trust. It s a big ship but is turbo g quickly and becoming an employer of choice in the region.
Pros
Flexibility, inclusivity, opportunities for progressio
Cons
Only part way through cultural change
Bullying culture
Office staffer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear5 June 2018
Some managers openly bully staff in the offices, this is ignored by other senior managers. Unless your face fits, this is can be an awful place to work. Racism and open sexism in many departments. Wages are very high for managers and many middle management posts exist that aren't needed. Paramedics and staff working on ambulances are great, but under appreciated by management.
Pros
Facilities
Cons
Bad management
Supportive workplace
Emergency Call Handler / Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne7 February 2018
An organisation where you can be challenged and have the opportunity to work to your full potential. Management are supportive and care for the welfare of the staff.
Awful
Emergency Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG18 January 2016
Very unhappy place to work. Management openly admit to not caring about staff who are not registrants (Paramedics). Non-registrants are treated abysmally.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list