Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom20 reviews
I simply cannot give the hospital a good rating as a place to work, you want fast pased, different everyday and to work with some extremely generous, kind hearted people but to be disregarded as replaceable, forgotten about in the sense of appraisals and pay rises? then the hospital health care bank is for you!
Not only are you expected to do 2 weeks unpaid for your training, you’re completely dispensable throughout the hospital, booked a shift on a ward you particularly like but they’re over staffed that day, then it’s a complete roulette as to where you end up and you have no choice in the matter or leg to stand on to refuse. for example back in March I was moved from a shift in an out patients department and told I must work on the COVID isolation ward and that I didn’t have a choice in the matter, concerns from staff at the time regarding PPE etc, vulnerable family members back home, were disregarded by most senior staff as ‘over the top’.

Basically if you want to stay on the same awful salary for the rest of your life (bank staff aren’t given pay rises like contracted staff, just incase we didn’t already feel under-appreciated enough as it it), have to chase and sometimes wait weeks for shifts to be locked down and paid for, never want to be able to park at your work place - expected to catch a park and ride bus which not only adds a lot of time onto your working day, you are also expected to continue to use that same park and ride when the carpark has become a traveller site, which is particularly pleasant when you are finishing work at 8 o’clock at night and you have
 - more...
Pros
You’re working with people who do the job because they love it & care about people, you shouldn’t work there if you just want a decent wage at the end of the day.
Cons
Wage, lack of salray progression specifically for bank staff, no parking, unpaid training, having to chase shifts to get paid for them, cliquey atmosphere on a lot of wards, completely unappreciated and dispensable.
Has to be the worst run trust that I have ever worked for. Site management do not care about you as staff or the patients safety. Morale is low. There are some lovely colleagues, but majority of them are very cliquey, snipey and will stab you in the back at a moments notice! If you are a brown noser, wanted to be treated bad and agree with dangerous practice then you will fit in well.
Pros
pension isnt bad. Standard nhs.
Cons
Rude staff, bad practices, very uncaring, poor atttidue
Bank/temp office staff are frowned upon by secretaries and some managers as they don’t appreciate anything you do for them. Secretaries spend too much time moaning and gossiping instead of working. No matter how hard you work, extra hours, and making the effort to help others don’t expect a thank you. Some staff don’t want your help at all as they are protective of their work.
Location awkward to get to if you don’t drive and rely on buses

Lack of office/desk space.
It is a very big place and thousands of employees.
Wage is average depending on length of service.

Generous holiday allowance.

Management not particularly supportive at tough times...
Felt very supported. Can progress with training. The NHS trust makes sure that all training is up to date. You get good holidays. It is a very good pension.
Busy, variable, frustrating at times.
There are many departments within the Hospital therefore opportunities to gain experience are plentiful, likewise to move up for those with ambition.

There are many opportunities for clinical staff as well as those with a practical hands on approach and Administrative jobs
I enjoyed the time I spent there on work experience and would have loved to take it further. It can be a bit challenging to get to if you don't drive and live near Norwich for buses.
Having worked within thr NHS for 12 years I have a good understanding of the different practices and here is no different The problem here is staff retention, they take on a lot of newly qualified and have a large staff turnover, people dont stay in these jobs they keep moving
I worked on EAUS and found the ward manager EXTREMELY unapproachable, I have heard many members of staff who were approaching retirement age say they requested one or two less nights a month as they were struggling with then , yet after this request they saw that said ward manager had put them on permanent nights for a month, I found this disgusting.

The band 6 staff were equally as aggressive, they would often belittle staff and blame staff before any information was establish about what had happend, I throughly recommend avoiding EAUS
Lovely workplace, supportive and caring colleagues and management. always felt listened to and cared for. safe workplace. good hours and pay. would recommend to anyone.
Hospital is lovely, however work is very hard. If you are a bank staff you won't get much support from the staff and they will allocate you to the most complex cases. No matter what you do there as a bank staff, they won't be happy anyway. They don't like temporary staff so be careful, it's a tricky place to work as an agency staff.
Pros
New hospital
Cons
Unfriendly attiute to temporary staff
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust?
Excellent standards of care by this hopital. Very supportive and encouraging staff encourage member of the team to progress further up the band scale.
Pros
Early and late shifts available
Cons
Long days and night shifts only
I worked for the nhs for many years until having my son in 2010. I enjoyed my job very much but decided not to return full time and was fortunate to be a full time mum until my son started school
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Long shifts and full time
The N and N is a modern teaching hospital which is an excellent place to work. I work under great managers and am surrounded by a lovely team of colleagues and patients.
Pros
Pension, sick leave, security
Cons
Lack of parking on site
I have had a few jobs up at the NNUH and by far one of the best places to go and learn new things and excellent staff helping out along through the day
My skills in laparoscopic surgery were enhanced during my tenure as a registrar in NNUH.Excellent support from consultants in guidance for pursuing career goals.
I have enjoyed my time at the Norfolk & Norwich Hospital. I am just ready to move on for a new experience. It is a great place to work but are short of office and desk space.
Pros
Great pension
Cons
Not enough capacity for the amount of staff
fun but fast paced job dealing with a lot of specimens from many hospitals around the surrounding areas and patient confidentiality.
good work ethic amongst the management team.
Varied place to work there are many different types of work to do and all require concentration and attention to detail and time management even in catering or cleaning
Pros
working as a team
Cons
Extremely busy procurement department, day varies from day to day and you get to learn loads about all the products and services that an NHS Trust requires. I have learnt some very useful skills at the Trust.
Busy place and people are sometimes challenging, like to keep busy and get pleasure in helping people
Pros
free lunches
Cons
work in poor light conditions