NORFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Great pay and pension with other benefits. Nice company to work for.
Residential Children's Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Norfolk31 October 2018
Recommend, Great pay, pension and benefits and good Union backing.
Have worked for NCC for 3 years and have always been treated fairly. All aspects of Lear ING and qualifications taken care of.
Pros
Good pay, pension and benefits including good Union.
Depends where you're based
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Norwich9 October 2018
I am in a school so management are poor and there is no chance of advancement. If you are not part of the pack, you are treated very low. There is a huge turnover of support staff and the pay is abysmal, especially for the demands put on you. Norfolk County Council have always resolved issues quickly and are easy to contact.
Pros
Good communication
Cons
Poor pay
don't believe the window dressing
Performance Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwich3 October 2018
I had a really successful 16 year spell at Norfolk County Council which was soured by their refusal to put in place cost effective and totally reasonable adjustments, despite spending a fortune on updating the main tower at county hall (not where I worked).
Pros
pockets of good practice and a few good managers
Cons
petty politics, inter-dept rivalry & classic middle-management block
Supportive and flexible workplace
Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) –  Norwich26 September 2018
Working for Norfolk County Council has many advantages.
Recognition for good work
Good career prospects
Great level of customer service
Supportive managers
Great training programmes
Flexible working
Great holiday allowance and annual leave purchase scheme
On site car parking at most offices
Pros
Flexitime scheme
Cons
Less pay than private sector
anonymous
anonymous (Former Employee) –  anonymous26 September 2018
Jobs for life no longer exist within Local Government. This LGA had many different cultures depending on which department you were employed in and sometimes on different floors of the Head Office. For a company which struggled to attract women into engineering roles it did not support those who had managed to break-into such a career within the Authority.
Pros
Flexi-time
Training Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk19 September 2018
Nice environment, good canteen and on site shop.

Dedicated staff trying to do a good job for local citizens.

L&D has been a bit perfunctory but will change following a change of Director and is likely to be more proactive and engaging.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Support Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk3 September 2018
I enjoyed very much working at NCC. I shall miss working there once I am in London. I liked the fact that people of all ages work there and that older people are welcomed.
Pros
People of all ages
Cons
Salaries
Demoralising, demotivating, bullying by management
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk15 August 2018
No constructive training or support, have to fight to be heard and extremely demoralising culture. Team were nice but everyone having similar issues and nobody wanting to raise.
Cons
Management style-bullying
Secure and professional service to work for
Primary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Downham Market, Norfolk4 August 2018
The workforce are looked after and respected. Ongoing training is available to the extent the individual would like to pursue their professional development.
Pros
Professional development opportunities
great team
co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk31 July 2018
Dedicated, kind and good humoured colleagues.
I would have benefited from more home working and greater flexibility. The office environment was at times noisy and hectic.
Above all the council needs to sort the abysmal parking situation for mobile workers. Shocking and not helpful for business productivity !
Pros
low price canteen
Cons
parking

Want to know more about NORFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL?

Ask a question
Job satisfaction
Assistant practitioner (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk16 July 2018
My typical day is serving the public and putting in services in place if appropriate. Signposting or providing information in a highly pressurised environment.
Pros
Good salary, pension and holiday entitlement.
Cons
Hot desking
Enjoy working with the children, great satisfaction from knowing that I have helped in the development of a child’s learning in some small way.
Cover Supervisor (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk8 June 2018
Enjoy the interaction with children and adults. In recent years budgets have been cut so much that when staff leave ( teaching assistants, cover supervisors) they are not being replaced and that leaves the rest of us doing more and more work for same money. Also my own children are grown up now, so the original reason I worked at school is no longer there.
Pros
Finishing at 3.30 most days and school holidays.
Cons
Only being able to book holidays in school holidays ( cost more), and only being paid for forty four weeks a year.
Supportive and professional environment.
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk22 May 2018
Since starting at Norfolk County Council I have enjoyed the challenges it has brought and working with various teams. I have found the roles I have occupied to be varied and interesting. The colleagues I interact with have been helpful and felt supported in performing my duties.
Pros
Flex leave
Cons
Stressful situations.
High Pressure, but a rewarding career choice.
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk8 February 2018
Working for the above publc sector is not for the faint hearted. However, if one isn't afraid of long hours and hard work a thoroughly rewarding career is possible.

Ability to work on ones own initiative within the bounds of laid down procedures is a bonus.

Honesty, confidentiality and adherence to none discriminatory practice is at the core of working for Norfolk County Social Services Department.
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
Highly stressful working environment.
Good team work
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk31 January 2018
The team I have worked in is amazing and the management oversight is brilliant.

The hardest part of the job is a lack of Social workers and the high and unmanageable caseloads which have led to regular weekend working and evening working.
De-motivating and draining
Teacher (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk31 January 2018
Work life balance is not recognized within the teaching industry, hard work is not noticed or rewarded. In my experiences initiative is frowned upon unless you are top management and opinions of the teachers are not heard or acknowledged.
Pros
Long holidays, competitive salary
Cons
Long hours, unpaid over time every day, lack of respect and support from parents and management.
Support in the home.
Support Worker (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  East Anglia17 January 2018
Helping to support people to be independent in all daily tasks. The management are ok but could do better. The hardest part of the job is sometimes getting support from management, even if only for reassurance.
Another hard part of the job is working on my own at night driving around with hardly no street lights, of which I think is very dangerous.
Cons
Working evenings on your own.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich16 January 2018
this is a great place to work. relaxed, friendly managers are there to support and develop you. work is not to hard and training is extremely good. going to miss the staff
great opportunities
Secondment Direct Payments Officer (Former Employee) –  Norwich27 December 2017
Worked as part of management and administration, hardest part was splitting both roles in the same section. Being the boss and a worker. But enjoyed the challenge.
A great place to work where you have a genuine input on community and citizens
Stock Recovery Officer (Current Employee) –  County Hall Norwich31 October 2017
Little opportunity for career advancement given current ongoing cuts. A customer / citizen focussed organisation with amazing effort to provide excellent customer service. Excellent management.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Further redundancies expected due to cuts in central government funding