Norfolk County Council

Norfolk County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom98 reviews
Good
I enjoyed working for NCC. The staff were great and I enjoyed my role as it was interesting and varied and allowed me to meet new people. The atmosphere amongst the staff was relaxed and friendly.
Awful experience
Management are not supportive and caseloads are unmanageable. There is no opportunity for a work life balance. Too much hierarchy of management structure. Avoid avoid avoid
Accessible supportive and fair
Effective team work between community workers, managers and office staff. All are thoroughly knowledgeable regarding issues that arise in the community. Communication between all parties is at the highest level and all staff feel supported.
Pros
Great managers
Productive and friendly workplace
I enjoyed the experience of working with respectable people. The training on the job was good and I learnt new skills in the financial sector. The management was fair and the workplace culture was collaborative. The difficult part of the job was the uncertainty surrounding job security. The fun part of the job was its flexibility in terms of working hours and of course the social club provided
Communication and setting
Not managed poor communication from manager no supervision poor managerment poor working conditions wages poor no help no feed back no information never returned phone calls
Fair workplace
Fair working standards. Pay was of a good standard for the area. Flexible working hours fitted in with lifestyles. Parking on site mainly was helpful.
Demanding work
The work was that which I felt I could cope with based upon my experience and was varied and all of the work that I undertook I considered added value to the organisation.
Pros
Relatively local
Cons
Job moved location within contract period
I love working at Fred Nicholson School
I really enjoy working at Fred Nicholson School. I’ve seen a lot of changes in my 10+ years, mostly for the better!

The best for the children is at the absolute heart of everything implemented at FNS.
Lovely staff warm and friendly
Would of stayed longer but my life style changed to look after family members with cancer. Excellent staff there, some days fast pace. Really enjoyed it there. Would go back if I could do part time
Ok employer
Ncc is a average employer ,didn't receive support even though my job was stressful as a carer.Never spoke to anyone about employment issues or carer issues.
good working environment
working in a school office is a nice place to work. friendly atmosphere only downside is that you have to take holidays in school half terms which can be very expensive
Pros
school holidays
Cons
holidays have to be taken in school half terms
Awful team culture, treated like a machine, unmanageable workload and lack of emotional support in an emotionally demanding role.
I learnt about dysfunctional teams, unhappy workforce and indifferent management style. Tick box approach to induction, lack of community resources meant that meaningful work with clients was unobtainable.
Really lovely people to work with felt like one of the team
I have really enjoyed my time at NCC however I am wanting to go back on the tools and the only way is through the private sector, the rates of pay in the private sector are much better and with a new arrival I am looking to progress my career outside of the council I'm very flexible with my working hours and can be relied on to help deliver the work.
Good and friendly
Good workplace and a huge building to work on. Good for health using the stairs. It's an achievement for me by accomplishing the required task that I was ask to do. To be able to finish the project to become paperless and also being able to help in creating a space for more desking. The workplace is such goood and friendly place to work and so much to learn if you really want to go further.
fun workplace
wonderful place to work. loved everyday it was brilliant.

Managers was good to work for it was good experience and wonderful company and loved all my time there.
Workplace culture
Staff I work with are great. Hr very understanding and approachable. Management not so approachable and not too appreciative. A lot more is expected of employees without remuneration
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Low pay
NCC is a hardworking environment, dealing with difficult situations on a daily basis. The management are supportative and approachable.
Work starts at 8.45 and finishes at 5.30. There is no typical day, each day brings different challenges. From staff sickness, managing the duty desk, attending meetings, supporting staff and advising on difficult situations.
Supporting physically disabled and older people living in the community is challenging, but also very rewarding. I have learned how to be flexible and to listen to what is being said to me, by clients, staff and support services. As a PCOT I work primarily with the OT's in the team, but also support the social workers and assistant practitioners. NCC is dynamic and change takes place at increasingly fast speeds, adaptability is essential and communication within the team is a must to ensure that the citizens of Norfolk are supported. All the staff are hard working and due to the lack of human resources are expected to be generic in their approach. The hardest part of the work I currently do is sourcing packages of care to support people to remain in their own homes safely. I enjoy supervising staff and acting as a source of information and advice. I also enjoy working with people in their own homes (normally around their moving and handling needs and equipment provision).
No recognition for additional work
No opportunities to progress, boring work, no recognition for additional work undertaken or overtime available, parking is a problem, no on site or nearby facilities
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
No parking
Boaring depressing no support for Autistic people.
So board and suicidal constantly. Answering a public line. Phones put through from other offices. Had to stay till 5.30. When everyone else left at 4pm and we're part time. Bullied for being gay and disabled. Denied leave. Never got pay increments manager wrote rubbish on appraisals. Was denied promotion. Moved 20 miles outside Norwich. When there was a job in Norwich. Didn't get home till 7pm. Told my job had moved there when I was off sick with stress. Nothing in contract to say this. Union side with HR. Management couldn't care less. Made redundant after a secondment. A year on the dole. I am now a manager in the Civil Service. Which proves everything the managers said was untrue and lies.
Pros
My life is superb now ive left Social Services. Wish id done it sooner.
Cons
Sruck in a rut. U have to be a certain way to get anywhere.
No innovation or forward thinking
Far too many managers and senior managers are close to retirement age. They are set in their ways and do not understand what customers need in 2019. Until the council gives younger members of staff the chance to progress and allows them to be creative then the council will always appear to be old fashioned.

There is no consistency from HR. Some members of staff are given promotions, pay rises and new job titles without having to apply, whilst others aren't. Each service seems to run itself differently. The general HR have no control over what's going on in each department.

County Hall is a difficult place to work. One canteen for 9 floors of staff, limited parking and hot desk policy mean you can arrive at work and have nowhere to sit.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Hot desking
Great working experience
It was great working for Norfolk Council. Both team leaders from dell and from NCC, I can say, they are best team leaders I ever had. I was able to recover my working knowledge and at the same time to deliver the project 2 weeks before deadline with all the unplanned delays that occurred.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norfolk County Council. Our community is ready to answer.