NHS Employee Reviews

workplace
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire25 April 2018
A typical day is spent looking after patients and anyone who comes into our work place. We learn different things daily which makes it challenging and exciting but also we have our sad and unenjoyable times too, The management is frequently being changed so makes it hard to keep the same way of working as they all have different techniques .I work with lots of different cultures which makes it very interesting .The most enjoyable part is working with all types of people and also the ones that are cured. The worst part is those that die and we didn't save them,I like working in a team and we all try to look out for each other.
Pros
meeting people
Lack of flexible hours
Staff Nurse A&E (Former Employee) –  Haywards Heath25 April 2018
12 hours shift. Lack of empathy with flexible hours, specially for family comitments. Workplace culture competitive and sometimes unfriendly. The hardest part long hours.
Corrupt at every turn
Registered nurse (Current Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester25 April 2018
Not a pleasant place to work. The job has become less about patient care and more about box ticking and deadlines. It can be a toxic working environment.
Pros
Sickness and maternity benefits
Cons
Bullying and blame culture.
Overall Good
Healthcare Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol24 April 2018
With all jobs there is a huge bullying culture in the NHS and little funding means that very little training, benefits, and work-life balance is given. But I loved what I've learned.
Pros
Good Team
Great Job
HR/Recruitment Officer East London (Former Employee) –  London23 April 2018
I really liked working for the NHS, worked within recruitment and training departments in Essex and London based hospitals . Great atmosphere and team work.
Pros
Good pay
Great first learning experience
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester23 April 2018
A typical day would be 8 hours, i learned how to work efficiently and timely, management was ok , workplace culture was alright, the hardest part was motivating myself.
house keeper
House Keeper (Current Employee) –  Glenfield, Leicestershire23 April 2018
Lovely working alongside patients but there is too much work to do in litlle time and tension amongst staff. It is a stressful atmosphere with little value in the hard work you put in.
Pros
Making difference to patients
Cons
Stressful
good people, good job no prospect of change/advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire23 April 2018
No two days the same. As a completely new starter in the NHS I learned a whole new language both long hand and abbreviations. The staff were friendly and helpful and very supportive and the management team did their best to make sure we all worked together to get the work done right first time within the deadlines. As an NHS workplace the culture was healthcare based with lots of emphasis on what was happening in and around the City and what staff could do to support each other and the Community whether it be sponsorship or baking cakes to raise funds for charity events.
Difficult part of the job was often dealing with patient/colleague complaints/concerns.
Most enjoyable part of the job - getting the right outcome for the patient/colleague for their complaint/concern.
Pros
short commute
Cons
never enough staff
warehouse
Warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Allington23 April 2018
friendly colleagues, very busy warehouse, work on electric pallet truck - picking packing. Good rotation shift 6-14, 14-22. weekend off + bank holiday
Nhs
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scotland22 April 2018
Can honestly say that I had a good experience generally working for the NHS. Good job security, money is better in private sector, however felt well supported and had fantastic work colleagues.
NHS is a public service
Coach / Greater Manchester Mental Health (Current Employee) –  Prestwich22 April 2018
A typical day is to assess and coach my case load of learners. I travel into Prestwich on a daily basis.
I have learned a lot about GMMH, mental health and the NHS as a whole.
The culture is bandings and tall structure and a large organisation.
Management are firm.
Workplace culture is mental health and providing a service of care to the service users.
Recruitment. Also the service user’s predicaments.
Most enjoyable is seeing achievements being made.
Pros
NHS wage and pension
Great environment
Contracts Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London21 April 2018
I had fantastic times and got great experiences and knowledge.
i did build up good team work & communication skills , also i have been under so many useful course such as Health & Safety , safe guardian.
My week at the NHS
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Coatbridge21 April 2018
In my opinion, working at the NHS for a week was good, It gave me a great insight into what working at the NHS entails and what comes along with it. Everyone was very welcoming and made me feel part of a team and as if I had been there for ages, even though I was only there for a week.
Great place to work.
Theatre Technician (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire20 April 2018
The NHS is great.
Its sociable, you get to work with a wide variety of people from all different back grounds and you have a real sense of feeling from helping others by providing quality of care.
Pros
Good working environment, sense of pride in your work.
Cons
long hours. Salary could be better. Sometimes ditressing.
Caring workplace
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  NHS19 April 2018
Great place to work, you always feel looked after. Many opportunities for those who want to progress. Some days can be challenging, however it is a great place to work
Pros
loads of opportunities to progress
Cons
Workload
Community working
Community Nursery Nurse (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City19 April 2018
Always busy , meeting new people , supporting staff and patients , hard part red tape, best part when you've helped a family , supported them though tough times
Terrible unless you like to be a number
Porter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire18 April 2018
HhUmmmm it was good then the old management left and the new management took over. There is no morale and mood is low with long hard pushing hours
Ñnn
Great Staff
Volunteer Work - NHS Scotland (Former Employee) –  Scotland18 April 2018
I worked as a volunteer, i generally done general duties and helped with with any of the other volunteers around, i learned essential skills and my communication skills improved dramatically, the staff were excellent and were always nice and treated everyone equally.
Goid workforce
Domestic Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside17 April 2018
Great for security lifestyle but very hard work.
The wages are not too good .
Management there is far to many across the board but all in all you get a good feeling as you are helping people
Pros
No travel
Cons
Hard work
Changing of the old guard
Business Support Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hounslow17 April 2018
Started my employment with full of hopes and opportunities, tried to even change things for the betting my role, however my efforts was thwarted by management that have sunken so far into sofa and were more concerned with playing politics rather than working together as a unit.

You do feel secure in your job thanks to the unions however this is a double edged sword when people abuse the system and use the unions to their advantage, hence why the union is usually shunned by people who hold account of the hospital.
Pros
Security, good exposure to work
Cons
Unrewarding, poor change culture, blame culture