NHS Employee Reviews

Found 3,585 reviews matching the search See all 3,810 reviews
Amazing place to begin your healthcare career
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basildon, Essex14 August 2018
The oppertunities that the NHS can offer are amazing! However i feel now i have been in this poison for as long as i have been i can not develop anymore with out going to do my nurse training.
i do not wish to become a nurse or do the training at this point in my life as i do not have the money or the time to commit to that kind of full time learning.

It is an amazing place to work! it is such a nice feeling when you know how much you have helped someone even down to the smallest thing or just being there for someone to talk to.
Every job has its bad parts and being in healthcare it can always be heart breaking but knowing that you can make any kind of diffrence to the patient to make something so hard seem that little bit easier is always something you can feel proud of
Witches Coven
Mug (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, Dorset14 August 2018
Management are terrible. Only look out for their friends. Their friends don’t do any work and get away with it. Stressful and frustrating. Watch out for the witches coven.
Pros
Helping the public
Cons
Working so very hard, whilst friends of management get away with doing nothing.
Rewarding
Nursing Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth13 August 2018
Working with the NHS I learn so much and achieved a lot. I meet different people, different cultures and it made me stronger about myself. I left because I like changes and working in different environment.
NHS is not the service it used to be
Administrator (Current Employee) –  NHS Borders13 August 2018
Due to financial restraints working within the health service is not what it used to be. More money requires to be spent on the 'shop floor' and less on hierarchy.
Hard work and little room for progression
Local Contracts Co-Ordinator (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester12 August 2018
Work is hard, but interesting. Each day is a different beast, you need to be able to be flexible and hard-working - if you're willing to apply yourself it can be incredibly rewarding with the relationships you build and each days achievements. I find there to be little room for progression and little encouragement to grow skills.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Little progression
Okay
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashford12 August 2018
Can be on your feet for 12.5 hours, breaks not paid, management can be okay but often pushy and demanding.
Has some benefits like NHS discount at many places.
Management are difficult to work with
Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) –  Castlerock10 August 2018
Fast paced environment, irrational managers who have since left the company. Lovely staff who work well together despite the pressures being put upon them.
Productive and safe, fun place to work
Health Care Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North Middlesex university hospital9 August 2018
I enjoyed working within the NHS and will continue to work there, I have learnt and develop a lot of new skills and my co- workers are fun to work with. They care not only about the patient but for the individuals they are working with.
I personally will encourage anyone to work in the NHS because it’s a rewarding job at the end of the day you have a sense of accomplishment knowing that you have made a big difference and contribute into individuals lives.
Pros
Attractive pay
Professional workplace.
Podiatry (Former Employee) –  Exeter9 August 2018
This was a week's work experience where I learnt many skills and improved my confidence by speaking to a variety of different aged clientele. I also worked in the hospital to see what kind of jobs you do in different environments.
Pros
Very professional, good hours.
Cons
Unpaid work
Helpful, laid back
Admin assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester8 August 2018
Friendly, supportive colleagues who were patient and informative during on-the-job training.
Well paid position with flexible work hours and contract.
enjoyable job
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sunderland8 August 2018
i enjoy working as a health care assistant although the job can be demanding at times being able to support people in their time of need is very rewarding
Usually good ethos and positive
Dietitian: locum and temporary posts. (Former Employee) –  London6 August 2018
Mostly I enjoyed the work. the best part was actually working to support people with their dietary needs and presenting material to groups. The frustrations were the time spent looking for patients who were away from the wards.
Pros
Working with clients satisfying
Cons
Time taken to locate patients
Underpaid and overworked
Bank Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Inverness5 August 2018
Although working in Raigmore hospital is at times very fulfilling and satisfying.Especially with regards the patients you assist or the staff that you meet. The overall stress for what the nursing auxiliaries have to do,or are expected to do, is just not worth the hourly rate that you get. You are not only doing the work of a nursing auxiliary. You are doing the work of a domestic and the work of those auxiliary nurses that get paid a higher band than you.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Long hours within a very stressful environment.
I was left to fend for myself
RTT Data Quality Validiator (Former Employee) –  Gloucester3 August 2018
It was an odd place to work, at least it was in the department that wasn't a department that I found myself in. It all felt experimental and that, coupled with a lack of managerial-led parameters to give my role some structure, I was constantly left wondering if I was doing well or not. Very, very odd.
Pros
I got paid
Cons
I was largely ignored
tedious, challengeing
Health Advisor/Call Handler (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire2 August 2018
whilst working with patinets on a day to day basis is a very fun and interesting challenge, the fact that this was based in a call centre out weighed that for me personally
Theatre Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chester1 August 2018
A lot of management areas are very poorly chosen, more friends of friends or chosen from good rapor with other managers regardless of competency.

A lot of people who work there are mainly interested in getting their money and leaving and the care and passion slips away for a lot of people shortly after working there. A lot of this is a shame as a lot of employees start with mass enthusiasm but then have it taken away due to pay cuts, longer hours, more work, more delegation from management, staff shortages in nursing and amdin areas but increases in management roles
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Being completely underminded
20 years means nothing!
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon31 July 2018
Worked for the NHS for the best part of 20 years, one mistake has now meant I have lost my job and career, management needs to change and so do staff training, management need to treat staff with more respect.

Never trust anymore, people you think are friends are not. Keep work as work.
Can be rewarding
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Royal Surrey County Hospital31 July 2018
If you enjoy helping people and have a strong mind then the job could suit you.

Typical day includes checking answer machine to see if any calls came in after the previous evenings shift.
Extremely Busy
ward clerk/ receptionist (Former Employee) –  Norwich31 July 2018
I worked in various departments, each one completely different. Some had supportive management, others had awful management. Staff morale was very low in some departments
Pros
uniform
Horrible place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Norwich30 July 2018
I was a housekeeper on the maternity department. I worked really hard to get the job and left my previous secure employment in the hope that it would help me get closer to my goal of becoming a midwife once my children were older. I wasn’t offered car parking but wasn’t told until I started, which made my life harder. I had to buy a bike to ride for miles which was exhausting between the school run and being on my feet for hours without a break. I had no training and was left to wonder the wards without knowing what I was doing. I wasn’t ever given my uniform, despite ordering it a month before I started so just had to wear scrubs. I didn’t make one relationship with anyone after my two months of working there. People would ignore me, or stare blankly at me and I am a friendly person! I worked hard and at the weekends from 8am but always felt unnoticed and unappreciated. And to top it off, I had my pay messed up several times (I wasn’t paid at all for 6 weeks and then was I was paid it was only 60%) and HR couldn’t give a ! They said it was human error. I nearly lost my home and decided to hand my notice in before I walked out.
Pros
Literally none!
Cons
Clicky colleagues, manager had no time for me, HR were about as useful as a chocolate tea pot, no parking, no training, no empathy for employees families.