NHS Employee Reviews

Poor management
Medical Support Secretary - Band 3 (Current Employee) –  Bradford8 June 2018
Lack of team ethic within secretarial team. Work unevenly distributed. Support secretaries undervalued and overworked. Management seem unable to deal with these issues among many many others.
Very Average
HCA/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Atherstone, Warwickshire6 June 2018
Provide care for service users. This includes all aspects of care. Supporting community activities, administering medication and giving emotional support when needed.
Pros
Non
Cons
Many
A happy place to work
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 June 2018
Everyone got on with each other we were like family a team that together We helped make the patients have a calm and a happy experience at a time that was a nervous and scary for them.
Pros
Working in a happy environment
Cons
Some of the restrictions
Lovely work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff5 June 2018
Very little room for progression without a degree, regardless of personal achievements
Good work-life balance
Pleasant place to be every day
would stay if they cut out some of this bureaucracy
Pros
Extra 15 min of lunch break
Interesting environment
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Oldham5 June 2018
I enjoyed working there
It takes a lot hard work
Friendly environment
Supportive doctors/ co-workers / staffs
Always learn something new
Team work
Meeting new patients everyday
Pros
Get discounts with NHS card
Cons
Un payed break
managerial administration
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  london5 June 2018
Organising teams of psychiatrists and health workers for working in their offices and in the community.
Managing finances, greeting and arranging appointments and all administrative duties
Pros
close to home
Cons
stressful clients
Productive and fun place to work
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth4 June 2018
I learnt basic care support skills, Blood pressure, Completing paper-work, vital signs, life suport etc.

It was rewarding to get good feed-back from patients and their relatives.
Pros
Being part of Hospital Staff
Cons
Being an agency candidate
good
Associate Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Ashford, Kent3 June 2018
I am currently working in a cardiac respiratory department within an NHS hospital. My current duties at present are carrying out diagnostic testing on individuals who are experiencing heart or lung conditions. This brings different variations of people from different walks of life, it is always important to maintain a person-centred approach when undertaking each test. My duties include; ECG analysis, taking blood pressures, exercise tolerance testing, lung volume testing, covering the reception, supporting patients and helping to educate them. My duties have allowed me to understand that physical health and mental health are very closely related. In every test carried out communication, compassion and reassurance are beneficial when it comes to informed consent. It is vital to understand the patient's wishes. It is important to considering the impact that physical health can have on a person's mental health or in converse order
Pros
flexible working
Love nhs
Psychiatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire1 June 2018
I truly believe that I will work for the NHS forever. Career progression and upskilling staff is good with my trust. In addition the apprenticeship levy, leadership training and development is excellent. LINCOLNSHIRE PARTNERSHIP FOUNDATION TRUST is amazing
Pros
Training carreer progression visible management
Cons
Short staffed and hurried breaks
fun workplace
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands1 June 2018
As I carried out voluntary work here, I was not receiving a wage, but it was fun and active within the office. There were many daily tasks, including managing the switchboard, communicating with clients, sorting mail etc. This helped me to improve my communication skills and my time management of jobs. It was a great learning experience, which allowed me to interact with many different people.
Pros
great work colleagues
Cons
no wage
An organisation in crisis
Staff nusre (Former Employee) –  Stranraer31 May 2018
When I joined in 1984 the nhs was a well managed organisation. It is now a mismanaged organisation no longer able to exist effectively. It is sadly no longer fit for purpose.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Long hours, lack of staff, poor management structures
Exciting place to work
lead payroll controller (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim30 May 2018
Great opertunities with helpful and supportive colleagues who make work life easier. Fast paced environment with constant chances to learn something new
Good experience
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Darwen, Lancashire30 May 2018
It was a good place to work. It gave me good life balance and provided me with excellent experience in administrative roles. I had the opportunity to liaise with a variety of organisations, which gave me a tremendous amount of experience and confidence
Pros
Experiance
Cons
progress
great place to work
Band 6 MSK Outpatient (Current Employee) –  UK29 May 2018
overall love working in NHS outpatients, variety of client groups, great team to be involved with, variety of responsibilities including mentoring juniors, service development etc
Friendly and supportive
HR Advisor (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire29 May 2018
Lovely place to work for locally however being the NHS there are always changes that happen and the insecurity of your job always hangs over you. The team and company itself is great to work for.
Pros
Local team is amazing and supportive
Cons
Management of change
Productive and educational
Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Hackney, Greater London29 May 2018
I learnt what it is like in a real workplace and communication through talking to patients at the mental health clinic along with staff, i learned to manage my time better by getting into work on time, and desicion making though participating in weekly refferal meetings
Pros
Talking to patients
Cons
Limited participation due to confidentiality
Welcoming Environment
Assisting An HR Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scottish Borders27 May 2018
By working at the NHS for a 12 week time period for a work experience placement it has shown me how a hierarchy in a larger organisation works and how by having a strong team which supports each other will show high productivity rates. The team that I was associated with were very welcoming and let me contribute to their daily tasks even though I completed the work at a slower pace.

The daily tasks that I was giving were very repetitive but this was an advantage as I was able to gain a better understanding of how each of the databases worked and how to conduct information. However, by the end of my placement I started to get uninterested in the tasks which I was given so they gave me the opportunity to help with the bank recruitment event day, this is where many applicants go through the whole process of applying for a job, e.g. interviews and analysing their CVs, all within a time slot of 30-45 minutes. This was appealing as I was able to see how the process of a recruitment event day worked and all the paperwork which was related to it.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my placement, although I wished that I could have been able to work with other sectors of the business as well. I gained lots of information about the general function of a business and information which will benefit me in the future with coursework and daily errands.
productive
Receptionist/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cheshire24 May 2018
really rewarding job, day to day is stressful but nothing I would really change enjoyed my time here. hard job but really rewarding long hours but that is negotiable.
Have enjoyed my service with NHS
phlebotomist Mental Health (Current Employee) –  Mental Health Princess of Wales24 May 2018
I have worked in the NHS for 34 years initially as a Health care assistant and latter years as a Phlebotomist .I have enjoyed my years in NHS but feel I still have a lot of experience to offer .
Pros
NHS Pensions, paid holidays, paid sickness, flexible working hours .
Cons
Staff shortages, .Tight budgets .
Looking after children with complex need
Family Support Worker/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Royal Derby Hospital23 May 2018
I love my job but I have to do nights.I am finding shifts very hard at night so am looking to go back to administrative role or a Support Role within the day Monday-Friday 9-5
Pros
pension
Cons
long hours/nights