NHS Employee Reviews

Found 3,811 reviews matching the search See all 4,061 reviews
Hectic but a good place to start in the Recruitment process
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire22 November 2018
The day consists of sorting individual files to organising DBS appointments, reference requests and chasing them back in and many other office recruitment tasks. I send letter of application, interview progress or offer of position confirmation.
It is a hectic and busy environment which is constantly changing so great to have a good supportive team,
Management are approachable but can have busy times where it may have to wait at an appropriate time to have conversations.
The hardest part of the job
is trying to do everything at once which is impossible. Making sure I try and organise my day but being prepared for any change of plans at any time. Lots to do but at times just not enough time to do it in.
The job is enjoyable and I've certainly learnt a lot in the short period of time I have been there and other staff are willing to help and I enjoy my day even though it's chaotic but can be rewarding when I can help someone and they appreciate it.
challanging working place
Receptionist/Administrator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 November 2018
Everyday is different from the other, you meet new people from all cultures. I learn a lot from my job especially when we have emergencies issues like fire alarm or cardiac arrest and I have to act .
Lot of times there are patients that need assistant, some fainting in the reception , some women in labour and so on. As a front of house receptionist I handle this cases , I call the crash team or if it is not something very serious I use one of the wheel chairs and take the person to the right department.
There at times when there are hard situations , when someone passed away and the relatives come , I have to be with them and direct them to the mortuary or even at times go with them.
So you see everyday there is a challenge. And I like challenges.
Pros
cheap launes
Cons
nothing
Subjective view
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Birmingham20 November 2018
Flexible working hours

Time/ pressure management

Possible opportunities to progress

indifferent culture

very unstructured ways of working

most staff were helpful
Professional
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire20 November 2018
Professional and attractive working place . Interesting place to work . Very professional staff around and enjoying the responsibility. Good place to start
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Low pay
Long hours, day off can be one day at a time. No support from mangerment.
Activities Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk20 November 2018
14 Hour day, quite often you wont get a break or if you do it wont be when you want one. Dealing with very challenging people where it is none stop, they can be very abusive both verbally and physically. The work place culture is one of negativity and each shift is different from the next even if on the same day. You don't learn a lot with the NHS everything is very black and white if you don't have the exact qualification they want even if yours is of a higher degree they wont budge.
It can be quite rewarding when you see people better themselves and move on to a better more productive life.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Very Long hours
Work/life balance
Assistant Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Northampton19 November 2018
Even though pre children I loved my job with the NHS, now with 2 young children I found it unmanageable to work the hours they requested so unfortunately could not continue my career with them.
Pros
Lots of learning opportunities
Cons
A intense but hoepful workplace
care assistant (Former Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London18 November 2018
A normal day at work consisted of general maintenance care of the patients, this required a high level of patience and empathy.

I learned how to further organise myself in unpredicted circumstances and how patients suffering from dementia can present abrupt and sudden emotional changes which can affect the planned out structure of your time and care plan for other patients, this can also have a impact on your own emotional state, dependant on how their mood change is projected, this is a primary reason as to why working within a team in the NHS is very important this is in regards to patient care as well as self preservation.
management within my ward ran smoothly the day began with a prompt handover entailing all updated information about the in-patient, and all files were updated regularly. The hardest part of the job would be on the days when the ward was understaffed this meant the one to one patients wouldn't get the full attention as staff would have to split their support between other bays and staff in need of extra assistance.
Overall the job was happy and fulfilling, I enjoyed making patients happy and comfortable in situations where they may have felt down or negative and it allowed me to understand the health care environment from a professionals perspective.
Job guaranteed ,but people take advantage of the system
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke15 November 2018
Had to work on rota basis,thus couldn’t organise my time therefore found new freedom in courier job.Payment satisfying but not covering all my needs.Stuck in the same environment and doing repetitive routine thus getting bored..After a long time in the same environment without moving up the ladder can be frustrating when age seems to be considered.
Pros
Paid annual leave
Cons
Repetitive routine, slow progression
Great benefits, pay, annual leave but lacks opportunities in training
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southport, Merseyside14 November 2018
I like the pay and flexibility of my shifts there's 8 weeks annual leave after 10 year's of service i get 7.5 weeks 8 years of being on the job my pay has increased from £6.90 to £9.56 over the course of the first 7 years and we get paid up to 6 months full sick pay
Pros
Pay
aaa aaa aaa
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rhyl14 November 2018
I had to sort files into alphabetical order, upload files onto the intranet, and photocopy patient files. I learnt how to use a photocopier. The management was fine. The workplace culture was normal. The job wasn't difficult at all. The job wasn't enjoyable at all.
Fast, hardworking environment
STUDENT NURSE, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE NEW UNIVERSITY (Current Employee) –  Hillingdon Borough, Greater London14 November 2018
working within the NHS is difficult, staffing is limited, bed demand is extremely high and most ward managers are only concerned about their budgets, but once you push past all of the negative factors, working on the front line of patient care can be rewarding, fulfilling and can make you feel like you are part of a team who do good things every day.
Good employer
Bank Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham13 November 2018
Fantastic pay and induction. Training and communication very good.
Nice staff, good facilities. Have worked at various places and hospitals - can't complain.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Weak managers in some places
fun
customer service (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 November 2018
A good place to learn., sociable environment with
flexible hours. There are also enjoyable hours when you work there because of its sociable environment time does not take long to go by.
Not a nice place to work
Receipts Manager & Purchasing Officer (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk13 November 2018
I was glad to take redundancy.

Fighting a losing battle with clueless management.

Went from day work to shift patterns which did not sit well with the staff
Pros
non
Cons
many
Driver Carer
Patient ambulance driver/ assistant (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire13 November 2018
Great job, lots of tests to go through before being given the post
Love working with the patients and users,
Having to deal with mess and sickness so strong stomach needed
Above all loved it
Pros
Patients and workers great
Cons
Lazy people
Great staff to work with, very helpful
Support care worker (Former Employee) –  Oxford11 November 2018
Since working with the NHS for the past six weeks, I’ve been enjoying every moment of it, staff are great, shifts are fitted to my needs as I am studying. Friendly environment and everyone is treated with respect and dignity regardless of where you’re from
Pros
Free parking space are available if you drive
Cons
Suitable hours
Hardworking Friendly Environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin11 November 2018
the NHS pushed me to work fast and efficiently. I gained a variety of different skills evolving kitchen work and cleaning work as well as being able to cater to patients and the nurses and doctors within the building. I've gained good social skills when catering to customers and fellow employees.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Short shifts
Busy helpline
Dental Nurse Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire11 November 2018
Very busy call centre. 24 hour service so hours didn't always suit me but it worked for a lot of people. Didn't like working over the Christmas period.
Rewarding
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  South East9 November 2018
Rewarding life skills beyond any understanding or words real life joy tears it is the all. There is so much I could share but in this roll you learn about who you are and what important to you in life and you touch on beauty which you will find hard in other Jobs
Pros
joy people
Cons
own health
Busy
Food service assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham9 November 2018
Overall very busy, but to say im in catering see to much hurt and pain and death ,not an easy think to deal with.Can be very busy and stressful especially when short staffed,Which happens a lot
Pros
Wages
Cons
Short staffed