NHS Pay & Benefits reviews

Awful, management are awful, avoid at all costs
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 June 2018
I had such high hopes when starting this post. What I got was low pay, lied to about how many hours I should be working, management taking days/weeks to get back to me about concerns, surly nurses and immensely understaffed wards. Too much pressure as well. Management are bullies as are certain nurses, patients are in danger and it is not OK.

It is a time bomb waiting to go off.
Pros
Looks good on a CV
Cons
low pay, stress, awful communication and bullying
Good for helping the public
Apprentice Assistant Healthcare Scientist (Former Employee) –  Ashford14 June 2018
If you enjoy helping others than I do suggest going here.
The work hours can be long and the work is not always easy, but if you want to help people than I can honestly suggest working here.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Long working hours
hca stoke mandeville hospital
Health Care Assistant (HCA) (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire9 June 2018
as with most of the nhs this is a very demanding job the wards are heavy and the work load is not always light but you work with a great team of people and meet some life long friends. i also gained a lot of experience hear, the shifts are long but also gives you more time at home.
Pros
free health checks
Cons
long hours no breaks
Hard work not appreciated
Community Nursing Care Assistant / Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire9 June 2018
Hard work not appreciated. Always short staffed hence existing staff stretched to the point of exhaustion. Parking difficult. Staff not pulling their weight, sleeping while on duty .No support from management.
Pros
Cons
Short staffed
productive and challenging
Supply chain (Current Employee) –  Guildford9 June 2018
always Challenging, Gives you a great experience in using packages like excel, word, sbs. Its very important to manage your time and keeping on top of managing orders and liasing with companies to obtain the best outcome for the ward you are ordering for.
Pros
great pension
Cons
salary is not the best
productive
Receptionist/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cheshire24 May 2018
really rewarding job, day to day is stressful but nothing I would really change enjoyed my time here. hard job but really rewarding long hours but that is negotiable.
Have enjoyed my service with NHS
phlebotomist Mental Health (Current Employee) –  Mental Health Princess of Wales24 May 2018
I have worked in the NHS for 34 years initially as a Health care assistant and latter years as a Phlebotomist .I have enjoyed my years in NHS but feel I still have a lot of experience to offer .
Pros
NHS Pensions, paid holidays, paid sickness, flexible working hours .
Cons
Staff shortages, .Tight budgets .
It is a well balaced workplace
Clark (Former Employee) –  Wakefield23 May 2018
I had a lot of fun working for the NHS because it is a well balanced and fun workplace with fair pay and flexible hours. During my time i gained a lot of skills and and confidence
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay
love the nhs
HCA/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Reading22 May 2018
Loved working for this company but sadly times have changed from when I first began. pay increases do not happen as often as cost of living making life very difficult to stay in there.
Good and bad points
Commercial R&D Manager (Former Employee) –  Fife17 May 2018
Good job security, wages and pension. Can be highly stressful.All services are over stretched. There are a wide variety of opportunities. Worth a look.

Want to know more about NHS?

Ask a question
Fun place to work in
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester14 May 2018
Enjoy working for the nhs but I want a change of career and hoping to go further if possible I keep asking to do more stuff where I am but they are not listening and getting nowhere and having my NVQ 2 and NVQ 3 are just going to waste
Cons
Long and short hours and i can be flexible and reliable
its the NHS
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Former Employee) –  Mansfield11 May 2018
What can you really say, it's the NHS, they have their pro's and cons as with all jobs. the benefits you get from working for the NHS are great EG: pension, unsocial hours pay, bank holiday rates, sickness
good team environment
Mental Health Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Haverfordwest10 May 2018
working for the NHS is very good =, the team environment is very helpful and make the shift a lot easier as everyone is working together to get everything done and provide patients with the best possible care.
Pros
discounts in loads of places
Cons
At times flexilble ace to work.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Essex9 May 2018
It can be challenging place but rewarding at the same time. There are relative good training opportunities but can be waiting a long time to progress. The skills required for the salary unfortunately is not enough and departments always seem short of staff. I have learned a lot in my time working for this organisation but hope the future will get better. It has become undervalued unfortunately.
Pros
Sickness policy and pension scheme
Cons
Shortage of staff
Great work team.
Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Walsall7 May 2018
Everyday is a different day, no two are the same. You gain a lot of skill and experience in a short amount of time. Working as a team is great as everyone helps each other.
Pros
Pension
hard demanding environment
heath care assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire30 April 2018
Staff are not treat equally long hours with challenging individuals with no support.
OK rates of pay when you have been there for years, but there is less demanding roles in the field for a better hourly rate.
Had the opportunity to meet some wonderful people
Drug and Alcohol Worker (Former Employee) –  Torbay, Devon29 April 2018
They can sometimes expect quite a lot from there volunteers but are understanding when you explain that they are putting quite a lot on your plate and the situation is resolved ,really enjoyed supporting and helping people in there recover
Pros
10 percent discount on certain outlets
Cons
Not enough praise from senior management
Lack of flexible hours
Staff Nurse A&E (Former Employee) –  Haywards Heath25 April 2018
12 hours shift. Lack of empathy with flexible hours, specially for family comitments. Workplace culture competitive and sometimes unfriendly. The hardest part long hours.
Corrupt at every turn
Registered nurse (Current Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester25 April 2018
Not a pleasant place to work. The job has become less about patient care and more about box ticking and deadlines. It can be a toxic working environment.
Pros
Sickness and maternity benefits
Cons
Bullying and blame culture.
Overall Good
Healthcare Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol24 April 2018
With all jobs there is a huge bullying culture in the NHS and little funding means that very little training, benefits, and work-life balance is given. But I loved what I've learned.
Pros
Good Team