NHS Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

its the NHS
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Former Employee) –  Mansfield11 May 2018
What can you really say, it's the NHS, they have their pro's and cons as with all jobs. the benefits you get from working for the NHS are great EG: pension, unsocial hours pay, bank holiday rates, sickness
At times flexilble ace to work.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Essex9 May 2018
It can be challenging place but rewarding at the same time. There are relative good training opportunities but can be waiting a long time to progress. The skills required for the salary unfortunately is not enough and departments always seem short of staff. I have learned a lot in my time working for this organisation but hope the future will get better. It has become undervalued unfortunately.
Pros
Sickness policy and pension scheme
Cons
Shortage of staff
Good experience
NICU staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bristol3 May 2018
Great experience but had lots of deadlines and targets to meet with very few staff and minimum equipment .
It's good for progression within certain places but this is often location dependant
Pros
Job stability
Lack of flexible hours
Staff Nurse A&E (Former Employee) –  Haywards Heath25 April 2018
12 hours shift. Lack of empathy with flexible hours, specially for family comitments. Workplace culture competitive and sometimes unfriendly. The hardest part long hours.
Corrupt at every turn
Registered nurse (Current Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester25 April 2018
Not a pleasant place to work. The job has become less about patient care and more about box ticking and deadlines. It can be a toxic working environment.
Pros
Sickness and maternity benefits
Cons
Bullying and blame culture.
Loved my job and colleagues
Band 5 staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire12 April 2018
Always felt under pressure and not always appreciated or supported by management. Very stressful and underpaid for the responsibly I was given. I always enjoyed my work and gave my all to the patients and families I cared for.
Pros
Free parking, good enhancements, good pension. Gained a broad spectrum of experience
Cons
Always short staffed, spent wasted hours trying to cover staff sickness, think sickness policy to lenient. Long hours and difficult to leave on time
Nhs
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Former Employee) –  Dundee City15 February 2018
Very much enjoyed working for the nhs. Loved being a nurse with them only changes due to management on specific ward as constantly gave days and nights in same week with a year old child at home. Couldn't stand it any longer.
Nhs
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire4 February 2018
working in the emergency department in a major trauma centre I have gained a vast amount of experience. Within the first few weeks I learnt how to cannula, venipuncture, set up IV medications and how to organise my time accordingly. With my good time management skills and organisation I have been able to work effectively.
Cons
Hard work and dedication and a sense of vocation make the work enjoyable.
Staff Nurse Grade D (Former Employee) –  Norfolk3 February 2018
Rewarding and, ofcourse, challenging. Orthopaedic and paediatric wards until changing to the NHS in the community. Constantly updating knowlege and expanding skills and mindset.
Communication skills were in constant use, and to me, interacting with the public effectively was a priority.
Making the right decisions was made possible due to years of training and knowlege and insights gained along the way.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Shift work including nightwork
hard working team
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire7 January 2018
Advocate for patients. Aministration of medications. care plans and record keeping.

Staying motivated

Over coming challenges. overall patient satisfaction
doing really useful supporting and enabling work with neuro rehab
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire5 January 2018
A supportive environment working to re establish self care and mobility to patients having neurological problems. A culture of enabling encouraging and support for the patient and carers and family
Pros
specialist multidisciplinary team work
Cons
shift work which changes frequently
Busy bees
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bedford2 January 2018
It was my first job in nursing and it wasn't in my country nor in my monthertongue which made things harder if possible. The place was always very busy. Most of days we were short of staff or the work load was unmanageable.
Anyhow I did learn loads. From the ward, from the patients, from the culture. My colleagues were the very best. Excellent professionals and always very helpful. Thank God.
Pros
Flexible working days
Cons
Word load
Not fun
RGN (Former Employee) –  Essex1 November 2017
It is not better in any other places.I was a nurse for 11 years .I got my second degree just not to work for nhs.and reason those people who there for long time because they are biggest bullies and only that type can survive there.People always very suprised when I say that I dont work for nhs and reason being because of all culture allows those bullies push out good workers like you and me.They dont look why nhs is struggling with shortage of staff but thats why.
Fun workplace
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex24 October 2017
Currently i’m working on level 9a BSUH and i’m really enjoing it. We are a good team and that is the most important thing. Also 9a’sisters are very nice and they always support all the members of the staff.
Pros
More time’s break
Cons
Long Hours
Enjoyed my time here
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Former Employee) –  Wandsworth, Greater London21 October 2017
Worked on a year's contract, offered permanent , but glad I didn't stay, because it was all rearranged and split up.
Giving health related talks to primary age children and doing the mass vaccinations were fun!
Pros
Good hours, fun work
Cons
Extensive handwritten and data entered notes, idiosyncratic management
Overall enjoyable.
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Current Employee) –  Cardiff11 October 2017
I have worked within the NHS for 5 years. I have enjoyed my time and have learned many clinical skills, patient care and experience. A typical surgical ward day consists of looking after pre & post operative patients as well and acutely unwell patients who have sustained traumatic injuries. The job is challenging due to the nature of the work and complexity of patients needs. I mostly work within a flexible shift pattern but this at times can be difficult to juggle with the long hours and family life. It is a very rewarding job with great job satisfaction.
Pros
Flexible working
Extremely frustrating
General Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester4 October 2017
a typical day at work- very stressful and demanding
what you learned- to value my spare time more
management- overstretched
workplace culture- low staff morale
the hardest part of the job- being consistently short staffed and not being given additional support
the most enjoyable part of the job- off days (when I have them)
Pros
job security
Cons
demanding
Good Emergency Department
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 September 2017
Long shifts, constantly on the go in a very busy and demanding environment. However, valuable experience. Also yearly mandatory training and updates. Chances to save lives.
Pros
Excellent work experience
Cons
Constantly in the go, very energy draining
Office based working environment
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Caerphilly, Caerphilly28 September 2017
I would like to leave the ward environment and find a suitable post using my current nursing skills in an office based environment. With support from my employer to aid revalidation requirements.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Working weekends
Stressful, overstretched workplace
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  North Lanarkshire27 September 2017
I work within a very busy A&E dept. I work with an exceptional team, however we are over worked and underpaid. This is a highly stressful job at time and there is little recognition from management.
Pros
Exceptional, knowledgable and caring staff
Cons
Very stressful job, poor work life balance