NHS Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Found 102 reviews matching the search See all 4,060 reviews
Friendly, Professional
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne22 October 2018
Great Team, Supportive, Always a Adviser to contact when required, Training availability, Good choice of available locations to suit your needs and experience.
Pros
Guaranteed to find you a shift
Cons
Long hours, travelling
Good, hard working team
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk24 September 2018
Hard working team, working together to ensure that the patients are getting the highest quality of care and that thier needs and the needs of the relatives are being met
Pros
Fast pace, lots to learn
Cons
long hours, short staffing numbers
interesting
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  London5 September 2018
great as a career if you start young. not so great for older workforce. good job security. salary not too bad. lots of ongoing training which has to be done in your own time
Working for NHS
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Various31 August 2018
I enjoyed my years in the NHS but wanted to try something different after manyyears working there. I saw many changes over the years, some of which were positive but some were not.
Pros
pension
Cons
bureaucracy
difficult working environment
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh26 July 2018
staff moved from ward to cover other areas, leaving ward short-staffed. Management not interested. Bullying endemic. Difficult to access further training.
Pros
lovely hard working colleagues
Cons
staffing levels, management poor
a great place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Castle Hill12 July 2018
I have worked on the Radiology department at Castle Hill Hospital for 17 years. Two days are never the same. Its fast paced and a pressured environment.
Pros
great holidays
Rewarding
State registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Derby11 July 2018
My role within the palliative care sector of the NHS was rewarding . Working with Terminal illness’s on a day to day can be emotionally stressful but equally rewarding. Making a difference regarding how big or small was my goal each day.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Emotional
Working as a staff nure
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  UK10 July 2018
A typical day at work involved taking a case load and looking after all their needs both physical and emotional. This involved a lot of skills I would only use in this role but also a lot of transferable skill.

I would communicate with people from a variety of backgrounds on a daily basis which has helped to build these skills to what I believe to be of a high standard today. I also worked in a team and as a senior nurse managed a team and ward of patients. I had to have good time management skills in order to complete all tasks that ere requires of me in a timely manner.

Overall patients would often comment on the fact that I was a very happy and friendly person who would go that extra mile for them, this is something I believe to be one of my best qualified and is something that I will always carry with me.
Pros
job satisfaction, good team
Cons
shift work.
people orientated
Registered General Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire15 June 2018
Working in the NHS gave me the opportunity to work in many different areas of care and to care for people of all ages and from many different walks of life.
its the NHS
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Former Employee) –  Mansfield11 May 2018
What can you really say, it's the NHS, they have their pro's and cons as with all jobs. the benefits you get from working for the NHS are great EG: pension, unsocial hours pay, bank holiday rates, sickness
At times flexilble ace to work.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Essex9 May 2018
It can be challenging place but rewarding at the same time. There are relative good training opportunities but can be waiting a long time to progress. The skills required for the salary unfortunately is not enough and departments always seem short of staff. I have learned a lot in my time working for this organisation but hope the future will get better. It has become undervalued unfortunately.
Pros
Sickness policy and pension scheme
Cons
Shortage of staff
Good experience
NICU staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bristol3 May 2018
Great experience but had lots of deadlines and targets to meet with very few staff and minimum equipment .
It's good for progression within certain places but this is often location dependant
Pros
Job stability
Lack of flexible hours
Staff Nurse A&E (Former Employee) –  Haywards Heath25 April 2018
12 hours shift. Lack of empathy with flexible hours, specially for family comitments. Workplace culture competitive and sometimes unfriendly. The hardest part long hours.
Corrupt at every turn
Registered nurse (Current Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester25 April 2018
Not a pleasant place to work. The job has become less about patient care and more about box ticking and deadlines. It can be a toxic working environment.
Pros
Sickness and maternity benefits
Cons
Bullying and blame culture.
Loved my job and colleagues
Band 5 staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire12 April 2018
Always felt under pressure and not always appreciated or supported by management. Very stressful and underpaid for the responsibly I was given. I always enjoyed my work and gave my all to the patients and families I cared for.
Pros
Free parking, good enhancements, good pension. Gained a broad spectrum of experience
Cons
Always short staffed, spent wasted hours trying to cover staff sickness, think sickness policy to lenient. Long hours and difficult to leave on time
Nhs
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Former Employee) –  Dundee City15 February 2018
Very much enjoyed working for the nhs. Loved being a nurse with them only changes due to management on specific ward as constantly gave days and nights in same week with a year old child at home. Couldn't stand it any longer.
Nhs
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire4 February 2018
working in the emergency department in a major trauma centre I have gained a vast amount of experience. Within the first few weeks I learnt how to cannula, venipuncture, set up IV medications and how to organise my time accordingly. With my good time management skills and organisation I have been able to work effectively.
Cons
Hard work and dedication and a sense of vocation make the work enjoyable.
Staff Nurse Grade D (Former Employee) –  Norfolk3 February 2018
Rewarding and, ofcourse, challenging. Orthopaedic and paediatric wards until changing to the NHS in the community. Constantly updating knowlege and expanding skills and mindset.
Communication skills were in constant use, and to me, interacting with the public effectively was a priority.
Making the right decisions was made possible due to years of training and knowlege and insights gained along the way.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Shift work including nightwork
hard working team
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire7 January 2018
Advocate for patients. Aministration of medications. care plans and record keeping.

Staying motivated

Over coming challenges. overall patient satisfaction
doing really useful supporting and enabling work with neuro rehab
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire5 January 2018
A supportive environment working to re establish self care and mobility to patients having neurological problems. A culture of enabling encouraging and support for the patient and carers and family
Pros
specialist multidisciplinary team work
Cons
shift work which changes frequently