NHS Employee Reviews for Healthcare Assistant

Good for helping the public
Apprentice Assistant Healthcare Scientist (Former Employee) –  Ashford14 June 2018
If you enjoy helping others than I do suggest going here.
The work hours can be long and the work is not always easy, but if you want to help people than I can honestly suggest working here.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Long working hours
hca stoke mandeville hospital
Health Care Assistant (HCA) (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire9 June 2018
as with most of the nhs this is a very demanding job the wards are heavy and the work load is not always light but you work with a great team of people and meet some life long friends. i also gained a lot of experience hear, the shifts are long but also gives you more time at home.
Pros
free health checks
Cons
long hours no breaks
A happy place to work
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 June 2018
Everyone got on with each other we were like family a team that together We helped make the patients have a calm and a happy experience at a time that was a nervous and scary for them.
Pros
Working in a happy environment
Cons
Some of the restrictions
busy and productive
Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  uk14 May 2018
working for the nhs like any company has its ups and its downs. over the past four years that i have worked for the nhs i have had a good time. there can be a lot of politics involved but it all depends whether you let that get to you. there are many hard working managers, nurses, healthcare assistants working behind the scenes to ensure good patient care, good housekeeping of their wards, good communication skills. its a very demanding job working in the nhs but thats how you thrive.
Hard work but very rewarding
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amersham, Buckinghamshire8 May 2018
A 7 hour shift with half an hour break. You are advised to split the half an hour into 15 minute chunks. You are lucky if you get a bathroom break, you're that busy. Lots of ward walking, you need the most comfortable and supportive shoes you can find! You also need a strong stomach and bladder!
Staff at all levels are very supportive and patient. Training at induction and on the job. You learn very fast. Not for the unfit!
Hardest part of the job watching a patient fade away. Very humbling to be called an angel by people you are caring for.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
When you need to go and you can't...
hardwork
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Somerset3 May 2018
a typical day in the NHS is very hardworking but fun at the same time.
i have learned many new skills including venapuncture and cannulation
management in the NHS can be good or bad.
the hardest part of the job is the stress of the winter pressures and illnesses which leads to lack of beds and staff
the most enjoyable part of the job is working with some really dedicated and compassionate people
Pros
very rewarding
Cons
long hours and tiring days
workplace
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire25 April 2018
A typical day is spent looking after patients and anyone who comes into our work place. We learn different things daily which makes it challenging and exciting but also we have our sad and unenjoyable times too, The management is frequently being changed so makes it hard to keep the same way of working as they all have different techniques .I work with lots of different cultures which makes it very interesting .The most enjoyable part is working with all types of people and also the ones that are cured. The worst part is those that die and we didn't save them,I like working in a team and we all try to look out for each other.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
educational and rewarding to help people
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex21 March 2018
i have worked at eye clinic and operating theatre for 17 years. it is hardwork but rewarding. the hardest part is having to travel from clacton on sea to colchester. the management have been very supportive and helped me a lot over the years. i have enjoyed working with work colleagues and patients
Pros
ongoing learning
Cons
travel
fun work place
support work/health care assistant (Current Employee) –  york10 March 2018
I work twelve hour shifts, working in a crisis team every day is different which I enjoy. My management team are very supportive and fair, the most enjoyable part of my job is doing the home base treatment.
work
TWS Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Sussex3 March 2018
put patients to bed, perform observations i.e. blood pressure, get them anything they ask for.

how to manage patients with challenging behavior i.e. dementia/learning difficulties.
Pros
money
Cons
working in a mostly all female environment
Excellent place to work
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire21 February 2018
I have had an excellent work experience at NHS. I met very professional people, dedicated and committed. I regret having left the NHS as there were many opportunities of career in other areas.
Pros
Professionalism
great place to work
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Torbay, Devon29 January 2018
NHS is a great place to work as lots of benefits, competitive pay rates and a great pension. everyone is friendly and very strong at their jobs, love it here.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
not guarenteed the hours.
productive workplace
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Somerset24 January 2018
fast paced, busy environment.
patient care
opportunity to learn and achieve qualifications
long shifts
rewarding to care for patients
good team work
Pros
3 days a week
enjoyable and rewarding
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham21 January 2018
the rewards you get out from helping a patient to get home is amazing, some patients themselves being very ill to after a short or long stay in hospital that appreciate all you have done for them
Pros
helping the patients
Cons
not enough staff
Fun and cooperative
Healthcare assistant various locations (Former Employee) –  London19 January 2018
I really enjoyed working here. Staff knew their tasks and responsibilities really well and were very friendly to work with.Job was well paid and came with numerous benefits
Interesting
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester17 January 2018
Working within the NHS is exciting and new every day
Waking up patients
Maintaining there hygiene needs
Assisting with eating and drinking
Maintaining pressure care
Challenging and Rewarding
Health care support assistant (Current Employee) –  Llanelli, Carmarthenshire12 January 2018
Team work is crucial for working in a hospital environment. Constantly learning everyday on shift, and learn a lot about yourself and how to deal with stressful, life or death situations.
Compassion, respect and communication is vital.
Pros
Salary pays well
Cons
Shift patterns are tiresome
Good nice
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire5 January 2018
A good supportive place to work. There is definitely a good work life balance. It's a hard job however it is very rewarding to one. Salary is good too
Great places to work and also meet people while still feeling good with yourself
Health Care Assistant (Part time) (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester3 January 2018
NHS as a whole is fine by me. But these agencies operate somewhat independent of the NHS. Achieve care was reasonably fine. Not too difficult to get in unlike Search consultancy. Phoenix resourcing was also very good.
I wouldn't recommend Abbey ward.
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon18 December 2017
I worked on abbey ward, certain members of the ward made me feel like because of my age i was just a child in an adult world, i wasn't treated as an equal more as a project that they had to try and fix. I was referred to as the baby of the ward quite a lot and that made me feel inadequate. Some of the HCA's on the ward are amzing and my time on the ward exceptional, these are the people who made me want to go to work every shift.
Pros
real benefits with the job, such as brilliant holiday allowance.
Cons
the senior staff know they are senior and that really affects the rest of the staff.