NHS Employee Reviews for Healthcare Assistant

Found 227 reviews matching the search See all 4,060 reviews
Enjoyed my 8 years here
Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent6 December 2018
I spent 8 years working here as HCA after trying to work in various other jobs after I had retired. I really enjoyed it but unfortunately I am in need of a change.
Care standards
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  WALSALL, WEST MIDLANDS, UK3 December 2018
I found working for the NHS was a wonderful experience, the standard of care was excellent and I found it to be like a family environment. It was a very busy ward but we all worked together and gave outstanding care to our patients and their families. I felt I excelled at my job due to the environment I was in.
Pros
The standard of care
low staff moral
Health Care Assistant-Flexi Bank (Current Employee) –  Wirral24 October 2018
more money needs to be spent on front line staff such as doctors, nurses, care support workers. There needs to be stricter policies and systems in place to protect staff from abusive patients.
Pros
free uniform
Cons
stressful
best family i've made
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harefield22 October 2018
So after doing the ISS private patient hostess, a vacancy opened to become a HCA the sister of the ward loved me and she saw potential in me. So i took the job and didn't regret one minute of it!
I basically did everything that a nurse does expect for IV's and medication. But mainly it was, showering patients, getting them ready for surgery, taking bloods, putting in cannulars, removing cannulars, removing catheters, admitting patients, consolidating families that have loss there loved ones, doing blood pressures, staying in a room with a patient if the were confused and calming them down, making there beds every morning.
Pros
Holidays were amazing
Cons
nothing really
Brampton cottage hospital
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, Cumbria4 October 2018
All I can say is this would be a fantastic place to work if the two senior nurses who think they own the place were retired off. It's like working in the 1960s.
Pros
Fantastic benefits
Cons
Nights and days on the same week
emjoyable
Health Care Assistant apprentice (Former Employee) –  Lincoln23 September 2018
working for the nhs brings joy and happiness helping others .. work staff are always lovely.
everyone try their hardest to fulfill their role in everyday duties.
Hard work, really sad at times
Health Care Assistant/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wirral, Merseyside9 September 2018
Hard work, patients always verbally abusive towards staff. you dont always get a break,which is hard on long shifts. The pay is good but the shifts patterns make you ill, earlys ,lates nights. It's not a healthy work environment.
Can fun to work there
Administration and Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands23 August 2018
Working within the NHS can be very hard work, yet rewarding. been able to tend to needs of others, was could for me i wads able to meet new people l, learn a lot about myself and my own skills. i since built on these within the other areas of the NHS and want to continue to do so, however, some o f the systems that are now in place does not allow all bank workers of certain band grades to upgrade their skills for free or within their personal financial budget wise. and that is a shame and as to why a lot of bank and other senior nurses are leaving the NHS.
Amazing place to begin your healthcare career
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basildon, Essex14 August 2018
The oppertunities that the NHS can offer are amazing! However i feel now i have been in this poison for as long as i have been i can not develop anymore with out going to do my nurse training.
i do not wish to become a nurse or do the training at this point in my life as i do not have the money or the time to commit to that kind of full time learning.

It is an amazing place to work! it is such a nice feeling when you know how much you have helped someone even down to the smallest thing or just being there for someone to talk to.
Every job has its bad parts and being in healthcare it can always be heart breaking but knowing that you can make any kind of diffrence to the patient to make something so hard seem that little bit easier is always something you can feel proud of
Okay
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashford12 August 2018
Can be on your feet for 12.5 hours, breaks not paid, management can be okay but often pushy and demanding.
Has some benefits like NHS discount at many places.
enjoyable job
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sunderland8 August 2018
i enjoy working as a health care assistant although the job can be demanding at times being able to support people in their time of need is very rewarding
20 years means nothing!
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon31 July 2018
Worked for the NHS for the best part of 20 years, one mistake has now meant I have lost my job and career, management needs to change and so do staff training, management need to treat staff with more respect.

Never trust anymore, people you think are friends are not. Keep work as work.
Very supportive and understanding colleagues
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon30 July 2018
It is a very rewarding job but it is very stressful.
The management is very supportive and understanding, flexible, your opinion is listened to and counted.
Friendly
Health Care Assistant (HCA) (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom29 July 2018
Good team to work for. Lots of benefits like training and lots of courses to help you progress. All staff work as part of a team and pull together when needed.
Pros
NHS discount
Cons
Short staff leading to poor communication
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  oxfordshire27 July 2018
Poor communication between management. I loved my role personally but the arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing and sadly a case of too many cooks!
Pros
pension
Cons
poor communication
Helpful towards patients
Nhs health care assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham24 July 2018
Staff are all hardworking and positive very helpful and saving lifes every day for the sick people. To work here is very hard but knowing you are helping people on a daily basis makes you happy.
Very busy role but very rewarding
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire9 July 2018
Very busy, great support and good team work, put on other wards when short staffed, lots of training Great opportunities to go further and very rewarding job
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Risky ward , new staff difficult to get on with
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings5 July 2018
Handover at 7am long 12 hour shifts , no management on the floor always tucked away in their office , problems dealt with by front line staff , observations can sometimes get missed due to people’s attitude , agency staff don’t care as there there for the money . Team terrible now on female side : new staff , good staff have worked here but have left , reason management again .
Overall an enjoyable experience
healthcare assistant ophthalmology (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex22 June 2018
10 hour shifts 4 times a week allowed for flexibility. The staff are welcoming and friendly. We all work incredibly hard for what is a relatively low wage to start off with, although advancement is possible.
Pros
Staff you work with are excellent
Cons
Short lunch
Amazing, flexible hours
Health Care Assistant/Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Orpington15 June 2018
As a bank staff I was able to work on days that I chose to work in, depending on the availability though. I am able to work in different hospitals as a HCA in which i was able to learn various skills and be exposed to different environments
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Sometimes there are no shifts