NHS Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Good workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 March 2018
I enjoyed this job and i would say the NHS is a good employer to work for work to social life balance was good, management wasnt great and ultimately circumstances changed which ment i needed a different job.
Pros
Good benefits, holiday pay
Cons
management poor
Meeting a diverse number of people.
Auxillary nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands14 February 2018
The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye when someone left and the most enjoyable when they got better. You learnt lots but not enough sometimes. You worked hard and you had good rewards when people said thank you.
Pros
Maintaining peoples pride and dignity.
Cons
When you couldn't doing anything but wait for your time to be up.
Rewarding Career
Receptionist/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham30 January 2018
Can Be very stressful to deal with Patients. Very busy environment. Learn good skills. Good progression within NHS. Get to meet like minded people. Good computer skills.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Full on job
Stressful
Senior House Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 January 2018
Stressful and short-staffed with unfavorable work-life balance
Good occupational health support
Less opportunities for educational development due to high patient load
Pros
Good initiative for support
Cons
Many
interesting place to work
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  smethwick birmingham14 December 2017
The day would start by going on the wards with pharmacists and checking patients drug charts, followed by some dispening in the pharmaceutical areas, before you knew it the day was over it was that busy. It was a very fun weeks work experience.
Pros
intersting educating
Cons
One of top 3 Orthopaedic Hospitals in U.K.
Senior Physiotherapist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham23 November 2017
Ground breaking work done here. Experts in the field. Amazing team work i.e. Surgeons, Physios and Orthopaedic Nurses. The hospital had one administrator, the Surgeons had a regular board meeting and they made the decisions how the hospital was run. Only once did the Administrator the deny a 4 yr old child with a Ewing Tumor the right to live.... we haven't got the money. I went and gave him a rocket and lost my job. I was a star. I had children's ward and private ward and worked for all the surgeons known world wide.
Pros
5 day week 9 till 5 with 48hours on call (week-ends) monthly
Flexible
Batch Preparation Officer (Data Entry Clerk) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 November 2017
Batch Preparation Officer (Data Entry Clerk) - My position as a batch preparation officer involved inputting prescriber numbers into a system. The numbers are usually printed on the prescriptions which are sent out from hospitals and doctor surgeries to my office. The prescriptions come in various size batches. It was my responsibilities to sign for batches and report forms that have unknown prescription numbers on them. I was given an hourly target to work towards and I always achieved my set amount and at times exceed this at a high quality standard
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not secure as building was closing down
good place to work
Hospital Porter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 October 2017
It was my first job after leaving shcool my mother was a nurse there so she got me a job there until i was older to deside wot i wanted to be the hardest was taking the desease down the morg
Pros
free lunches
The Health Service is a great institution
Clinical Educator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham22 October 2017
I have worked for the NHS most of my working life and have enjoyed my employment with them, I have learned so much in my time and gained excellent knowledge and skills to help me provide and deliver, the best possible care.
Pros
great place to work, and fantastic people to work with, all staff are hard working and conciencous.
Cons
too much involvement from the government, by people who dont care, or dont have a clue about patient care !
Fast paced environment
Executive Assistant to CEO (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 October 2017
Working at executive level in the NHS can be very challenging. Events change quickly and the need for a calm, professional manner is essential to react seamlessly in view of the Executive Team. The hardest part of the job is the endless cuts in funding, often resulting in shortages of staff and increased hours of working with no financial compensation. However, the rewarding part of the job is the “making a difference” to colleagues, staff, patients, carers and the community. As a result my team-working and coaching/mentoring skills have improved during the short time I have worked here, as well as having been given the opportunity to extend my knowledge of Human Resource Management and underpin this by gaining a Level 5 CIPD qualification.
Pros
Good Pension Scheme
Cons
Long Hours

Want to know more about NHS?

Ask a question
General Summary
Administration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 September 2017
Typical day of work consisted of a built up routine, performing the same routine within the morning hours and the same tasks in the evening, which was brilliant as it was set. Workplace culture wasn't as great with cuts and a lot of pressure constantly on everyone's shoulders.
Pros
Nhs Discount
Cons
Very hard to progress within the organisation
productive, fast paced
Trainee Dental Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham3 September 2017
Have a list with a dentist or a student to complete, you would have your own space, where you are able to work efficiently in the environment you feel comfortable working in. all staff are polite and helpful
Love my job but system is failing
hCa band 3 (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 August 2017
My job is my passion in life but feeling very disappointed with the system after 20 yrs on the community.. sadly we are forgotten when the NHS is mentioned.. community nursing is in a desperate situation .. we frequently have no sterile dressings to go out with and have no time to spend with the most vulnerable in our community.. this last week alone we've lost 6 valued members of our team including an amazing manager. ..I never thought I would look for alternative employment. However I feel the skills I've learned could be more used further afield. Especially with the homeless, vunlerable, and those that need non judgemental support
Pros
Community work
Cons
Open minded
Productive and relaxed workplace
Assistant Accountant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham13 August 2017
Working within the NHS has developed my skills on a daily basis. Surrounded by friendly and helpful staff I am able to learn new things on a consistent basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people.
domestic cleaner
Domestic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 August 2017
i have learnt alot, there is no such thing as a typical day at work when with the nhs as everyday is different. it is much enjoyable, wards vary everyday unless put on an area. staff are lovely and friendly. cleaning is often done considerably and with time to ensure that no infection is spread through the hospital. most enjoyable part of work is meeting the staff and the patients.
Pros
pay and staff
Cons
not always enough hours
Outpaitents
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 July 2017
It was very crowded I begin with and left you with very little time to yourself, as you would expect in any other job. But working at the hospital was a complete pleasure, you was able to communicate and understand people and begin to evaluate their mindset. You was always under pressure but if you do your job to the best of your ability you will understand it's a complete and utter pleasure working there.
Pros
Cafe and restaurant within 1 minuite walk
Cons
Very very crowded and noisy
nice workplace
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands10 July 2017
Structured working enviroment and patient confidentiality makes it a great place to work. friendly staff from a variety of different paths and careers.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 July 2017
Answer phone calls and direct patients and service users to appropriate department and dealing with customer complaints
• Demonstrated organisation communication and time management skills through arranging and scheduling meetings for staff
Senior Mental Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 July 2017
Very productive. Less chances of career advancement. Very challenging and rewarding careers. Work dynamics vary dependent on the teams and leadership.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Very Long hours
Good Company to work for
IHCD Paramedic Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 June 2017
A typical day at work involves driving to emergency jobs only to find out they are not actually emergencies at the best of times

I have learnt many skills such as communication skills to a wide spectrum/calibre of people, good/ thorough documentation skills and the ability to work under extreme pressure and unpredictable environments.

Workplace culture is good as long as you don't criticise others falsely.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the broad spectrum of people: rich/poor, homeless the old and right down to little babies who can put smiles on your face.