NHS Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Working with nice people
Handyman/Plumber (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 September 2018
I enjoyed working in NHS Estates. There are many problems with the NHS as we all know but the people are invariably nice in my experience. Pay is not good below Director level but you know that before you start. Things like job security generally compensate for this.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
NHS specific issues, poor pay.
you progress but not for
shift leader (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 September 2018
the job can be very hard at times but might be more fufilling for people who are caring it can be full of paper work and red tape and very clicky with your group and my group
Pros
you can progress
Cons
too tttooooo clicky
Hard work
Cleaner/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham30 August 2018
On call
Very early hours with long shifts
NHS Don't help very much when needed
Wages was never paid on time
Was always left with things that didnt concern me
Can fun to work there
Administration and Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands23 August 2018
Working within the NHS can be very hard work, yet rewarding. been able to tend to needs of others, was could for me i wads able to meet new people l, learn a lot about myself and my own skills. i since built on these within the other areas of the NHS and want to continue to do so, however, some o f the systems that are now in place does not allow all bank workers of certain band grades to upgrade their skills for free or within their personal financial budget wise. and that is a shame and as to why a lot of bank and other senior nurses are leaving the NHS.
Helpful towards patients
Nhs health care assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham24 July 2018
Staff are all hardworking and positive very helpful and saving lifes every day for the sick people. To work here is very hard but knowing you are helping people on a daily basis makes you happy.
Not a good employer to work for
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 July 2018
Long working hours
Bullying and harassment rife in the workplace
Us & Them working culture
Poor management always on the defensive
Poor staff attitudes and lack of respect
Pros
Cons
Everthing
knowledgeable but unfair
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham8 March 2018
i learnt alot working for the nhs and have been thankful for the time i served there , however i feel the staff are over worked and under payed for the things they have to do and the abuse they can also be given
Good workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 March 2018
I enjoyed this job and i would say the NHS is a good employer to work for work to social life balance was good, management wasnt great and ultimately circumstances changed which ment i needed a different job.
Pros
Good benefits, holiday pay
Cons
management poor
Meeting a diverse number of people.
Auxillary nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands14 February 2018
The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye when someone left and the most enjoyable when they got better. You learnt lots but not enough sometimes. You worked hard and you had good rewards when people said thank you.
Pros
Maintaining peoples pride and dignity.
Cons
When you couldn't doing anything but wait for your time to be up.
Rewarding Career
Receptionist/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham30 January 2018
Can Be very stressful to deal with Patients. Very busy environment. Learn good skills. Good progression within NHS. Get to meet like minded people. Good computer skills.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Full on job
Stressful
Senior House Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 January 2018
Stressful and short-staffed with unfavorable work-life balance
Good occupational health support
Less opportunities for educational development due to high patient load
Pros
Good initiative for support
Cons
Many
interesting place to work
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  smethwick birmingham14 December 2017
The day would start by going on the wards with pharmacists and checking patients drug charts, followed by some dispening in the pharmaceutical areas, before you knew it the day was over it was that busy. It was a very fun weeks work experience.
Pros
intersting educating
Cons
One of top 3 Orthopaedic Hospitals in U.K.
Senior Physiotherapist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham23 November 2017
Ground breaking work done here. Experts in the field. Amazing team work i.e. Surgeons, Physios and Orthopaedic Nurses. The hospital had one administrator, the Surgeons had a regular board meeting and they made the decisions how the hospital was run. Only once did the Administrator the deny a 4 yr old child with a Ewing Tumor the right to live.... we haven't got the money. I went and gave him a rocket and lost my job. I was a star. I had children's ward and private ward and worked for all the surgeons known world wide.
Pros
5 day week 9 till 5 with 48hours on call (week-ends) monthly
Flexible
Batch Preparation Officer (Data Entry Clerk) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 November 2017
Batch Preparation Officer (Data Entry Clerk) - My position as a batch preparation officer involved inputting prescriber numbers into a system. The numbers are usually printed on the prescriptions which are sent out from hospitals and doctor surgeries to my office. The prescriptions come in various size batches. It was my responsibilities to sign for batches and report forms that have unknown prescription numbers on them. I was given an hourly target to work towards and I always achieved my set amount and at times exceed this at a high quality standard
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not secure as building was closing down
good place to work
Hospital Porter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 October 2017
It was my first job after leaving shcool my mother was a nurse there so she got me a job there until i was older to deside wot i wanted to be the hardest was taking the desease down the morg
Pros
free lunches
The Health Service is a great institution
Clinical Educator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham22 October 2017
I have worked for the NHS most of my working life and have enjoyed my employment with them, I have learned so much in my time and gained excellent knowledge and skills to help me provide and deliver, the best possible care.
Pros
great place to work, and fantastic people to work with, all staff are hard working and conciencous.
Cons
too much involvement from the government, by people who dont care, or dont have a clue about patient care !
Fast paced environment
Executive Assistant to CEO (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 October 2017
Working at executive level in the NHS can be very challenging. Events change quickly and the need for a calm, professional manner is essential to react seamlessly in view of the Executive Team. The hardest part of the job is the endless cuts in funding, often resulting in shortages of staff and increased hours of working with no financial compensation. However, the rewarding part of the job is the “making a difference” to colleagues, staff, patients, carers and the community. As a result my team-working and coaching/mentoring skills have improved during the short time I have worked here, as well as having been given the opportunity to extend my knowledge of Human Resource Management and underpin this by gaining a Level 5 CIPD qualification.
Pros
Good Pension Scheme
Cons
Long Hours
General Summary
Administration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 September 2017
Typical day of work consisted of a built up routine, performing the same routine within the morning hours and the same tasks in the evening, which was brilliant as it was set. Workplace culture wasn't as great with cuts and a lot of pressure constantly on everyone's shoulders.
Pros
Nhs Discount
Cons
Very hard to progress within the organisation
productive, fast paced
Trainee Dental Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham3 September 2017
Have a list with a dentist or a student to complete, you would have your own space, where you are able to work efficiently in the environment you feel comfortable working in. all staff are polite and helpful
Love my job but system is failing
hCa band 3 (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 August 2017
My job is my passion in life but feeling very disappointed with the system after 20 yrs on the community.. sadly we are forgotten when the NHS is mentioned.. community nursing is in a desperate situation .. we frequently have no sterile dressings to go out with and have no time to spend with the most vulnerable in our community.. this last week alone we've lost 6 valued members of our team including an amazing manager. ..I never thought I would look for alternative employment. However I feel the skills I've learned could be more used further afield. Especially with the homeless, vunlerable, and those that need non judgemental support
Pros
Community work
Cons
Open minded