NHS Employee Reviews

Used to be great
Chief cardiac physiologist (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex21 January 2018
A highly valuable organisation which is undergoing a massive upheaval into privatisation.
I am submitting to that change.
Top heavy with managerial layers from the government down.
Grass roots level are understaffed and underfunded and morale is exceptionally low.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Stress
I do not recommend
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh20 January 2018
No progression opportunities, weak management, unclear career path, unclear list of responsibilities, monotonous workload, people work in silos rather than in a supportive team environment, many individuals are tired of their jobs and stay there as it is difficult to find another job, budget is being cut every year leaving less and less opportunities for development.
Pros
nothing!
Cons
please see below.
good place to work
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grampian Region20 January 2018
Being a bank admin for NHS Grampian is good I work with a good team and a great manager, I work part time mon-wed 8.30-13.30 which is good for me, I feel now that I would like to have a new challenge somewhere else as I have spent most of my adult life working for NHS Grampian
Pros
Picking your working hours
Cons
Not the same benefits as permanent posts
Very nice enviroment to work.
Manager Reception& Admin Team (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire19 January 2018
A typical day at work will include to open the Surgery and set up the screens for patients to be able to check in for their appointments. Check the appointments availability for the day in various clinics and guide the Reception how to book appointments .
Dealing with urgent tasks and patients complaints to ensure smooth operation of Surgery.
Also attend meetings with GP's, other managers, clinicians and other healthcare professionals .
I gained a lot of experience on how to deal with difficult situations such as emergencies .
I improved my communication skills by liaising on daily basis with both clinicians and patients from various background.
I learned the structure of NHS .
I learned how important is to keep confidentiality of service users in all times.
I improved my IT skills by using System One and a variety of communication tools online.
NHS is a great place to work overall and great atmosphere.
The hardest part of the job is that sometimes , especially the winter season, can be very demanding as patient are increasing because of flu/colds and other winter related illnesses.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that any day is the same! Never get bored! Learning and having new experiences every day and also the team spirit is really high!
Pros
NHS discounts, free parking
Fun
Reception/Admin (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire19 January 2018
Was a enjoyable role and then provide you with plenty of opportunities to progress through the NHS industry. Due to the circumstances of having a child I as unable to continue working.
Fun and cooperative
Healthcare assistant various locations (Former Employee) –  London19 January 2018
I really enjoyed working here. Staff knew their tasks and responsibilities really well and were very friendly to work with.Job was well paid and came with numerous benefits
Domestic at WCH
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cumbria18 January 2018
A typical day at work would include cleaning patients rooms, corridors, offices and clinical areas. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people on a daily basis.
Interesting
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester17 January 2018
Working within the NHS is exciting and new every day
Waking up patients
Maintaining there hygiene needs
Assisting with eating and drinking
Maintaining pressure care
Productive and fun at work
Dental Nurse (Former Employee) –  South West London, Greater London17 January 2018
-day starts from 8:30 to 6:pm
-I learned flexibility, in my opinion compassion and positive attitude is the key of succes.
-there is no hardest part when you enjoy your work
-nice people around, hapiness from helping the others
heavy
Picker/Packer of equipment for use in Hospitals (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset17 January 2018
I quite liked working there, but I found it a bit heavy work. I used to go home aching, and tired. the workers were friendly when I worked there, but I do not know what it is like now.
A typical day at work
care support worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 January 2018
A typical day at work would be fun, unexpected and unpredictable always meeting new patients that have been admitted to the hospital . the hardest p[art of the job is to empathies and not sympathize. the most enjoyable part is to see a patient that was admitted to the hospital being very ill , being fully recovered and being discharged .
interesting
Health Advisor- Safeguarding Administrator (Current Employee) –  Brierley Hill16 January 2018
I would go into the office, look at emails and pick up any messages from Manager's wanting to put adverts out on the NHS Jobs website first thing. Liaising with the Managers to get there requirements for jobs, salary, experience etc.
then would type up a prospective Job Description and Person Specification and advert, send over to the Manager's and if agreed would upload to the NHS Jobs.
After this and clearing emails, would check internal and external applications for jobs on the site and collating and sending to Manager's who have requested jobs being advertised, they would then send them back to me stating who they want for interview. I would then pass this onto the HR Assistants to send out interviews etc.
Any new employees due to start work I would check their eligibility to work and papers etc.

Constantly receive calls throughout the day from managers of Hospital departments with their recruitment needs.
Pros
kept me busy as was a busy department
Dark age employer
Maintenance Fitter (Former Employee) –  Fife16 January 2018
Management have draconian attitudes and are very set in their ways. Long tern employees are of the same thought process and hate change. Salary is reasonable and working benefits are good.
In my department work/life balance was poor due to on-call rota.
Most days were reactive repairs with PPM duties when quiet.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with childish management and in house politics. Favouritism was rife within the department.
I enjoyed the job because I got a lot of satisfaction from assisting and helping the other departments.
Pros
Good holidays and reasonably short working day
Cons
On call duties
Do not work here
Manager (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire16 January 2018
Too many people with an over blown sense of their own importance, and little regard for improving patient outcomes. No clear direction or structure, a waste of time Senior management a waste of space
rewarding
interim consulant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 January 2018
interesting contracting role and a challenging, attractive environment
- this was an interim assigment when I had exposure to numerous functions and levels of hierarchy.
Great job, good pay, less than good managers
Medical Secretary/PA (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire15 January 2018
As long as you listen to what your doctor wants, and not what your manager wants, you will be extremely productive and life will be smooth and easy! My doctor and manager were constantly fighting about what I should be doing. The managers decisions were putting patients care at risk, so I listened to the doctor and everything was fine
my work experience at NHS..
Admin and Ward (Former Employee) –  Kirkwall, Orkney14 January 2018
Admin was enjoyable, had a pleasant working environment and friendly co-workers

Ward had long shifts, nurses were working day and night shifts, some were very good towards patients while others didn't speak to them so much. I enjoyed helping people but it was also challenging.
Pros
Allowed to take breaks when needed
Cons
Some staff weren't as helpful when doing my placement there
rewarding role
George Elliot Hospital Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  nhs14 January 2018
taking emergency calls from the public dealing with a host of emergencies, thoroughly rewarding role, staff are not recognised enough for there hard work but have a good work ethic, would happily recommended this role to anyone.
Pros
staff and making a difference
Cons
shift work
A good place to work
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  London14 January 2018
A good place to work but due it very small size 150 employees no career progression. Would recommend other to work got BPIF as the people are good fun and have great knowledge.
Professional workplace
Psychology & Psychological Therapies Administrator (Former Employee) –  Amersham, Buckinghamshire14 January 2018
 I was the key point of contact for patients to book assessments and courses regarding there mental health issues. Problems such as social skills, medical input, anxiety, eating disorders, bulimia plus more severe complexes.
 I liaised with other government bodies such as doctors at practice surgeries and the police. Within the NHS I liaised mainly with reception, therapists and other admin staff.
 I learnt how to deal with confidentiality within clients cases, as that was key, i.e. not indulging in clients information to friends or family unless authorised. I also learnt how to deal with the forensic side if death occurred, such as closing accounts down on the NHS spine, notifying family and other legal bodies.
 Strong organisational skills, ensuring all notes, records were filed correctly on RIO, which is part of the NHS spine database. Again, general updating of addresses / doctors information and next of kin details etc.
 Responsible for taking minutes for core group meetings re: patients and general ways of working, from therapists to office managers.
 Responsible for typing up notes from one on one discussions, plus group discussions, which would then be stored on the RIO system and logged against there personal records, plus added to the NHS spine and sent to the GP's and patients.
Pros
flexible