NHS Midlands and Lancashire Commissioning Support Unit

NHS Midlands and Lancashire Commissioning Support Unit Employee Reviews

United Kingdom16 reviews
PMO team and Field Engineers are one of the best in NHS. Car parking never an issue. The Office is next to the Cheshire Country park great for lunch walks.
Pros
Great location, great team
Cons
communication on contract extension is very poor
Overall a good place to work, relaxed culture some may say too relaxed. Certain HR policies are weak and make staff management difficult. Senior management are listening and trying to improve culture and workplace.
I was gutted when my contract came to an end - I would love to still be working there. Just no opportunity at the time a lot depends on budgets and finance.
Pros
Lovely Managers
Cons
A lot of contract work
My role is to ensure safe, effective and cost-effective prescribing in the GP practices in which we work. Days are varied but usually involve carrying out medication reviews, answering medicines information queries, analysing prescribing reports, providing education sessions about the latest medicines management issues to clinicians, formulary work, acting upon safety alerts, networking, keeping up-to-date with the latest news and guidance and working very closely with the other pharmacists and pharmacy technicians within our large team.

I have learnt so much as a Medicines Optimisation Pharmacist and there's always someone within the team who knows the answer if you don't. We utilise Microsoft Teams so that even whilst we are working from home, we are able to stay in touch via daily video calls and easily share resources. There's a fantastic work-life balance too.

MLCSU has been a great organisation to work for and I highly recommend it.
Pros
Stimulating and enjoyable work as part of a great team
I started working for Midlands and Lancashire Commissioning Support Unit, on a fixed term contract covering 12 months maternity leave.

Within 3 months of working for the organisation I knew I didn't want to leave, I worked hard, and was offered a permanent contract.

The day to day is exciting, busy (but manageable - if it wasn't I know support would be right at hand) I've honestly never worked for an organisation that cares about its staff like MLCSU do, like really cares...Lots of organisations have a culture and values they rave about, but MLCSU mean what they say, and I feel like I matter.

Flexible working, supportive management, lovely culture are just a few of the things that make my day to day, a pleasure.
Pros
Flexible working, genorous salary, great culture
Cons
Very interesting job with the team from the Liverpool and Bootle offices. Management friendly and interested in what you are doing, will always help out if under pressure. I was there to support sick leave but would highly recommend working with them, i was sorry to leave.
The team I worked with at CHC were fantastic and extremely supportive and would work with them again if I hadn't left the area.
I came through via the in-house recruitment agency and constantly encountered problems. I would recommend the workplace but definitely not the recruitment agency.

Very poor organisation, very little support and the team did not respond to queries or clarification. As a result, I was not paid correctly. When I left, I received no acknowledgement from the agency in spite of sending several emails, no payslips and a delay in sending my P45 (resulting in being paid incorrectly in next position) as they did not terminate my contract. In spite of being asked to several times.

I was not the only employee who came in by this method who experienced issues.
Pros
Great team, supportive and understanding. Work was always available
Cons
Very badly organised by in-house recruitment agency
Good organisation to work for with plenty of work . Ongoing structural changes make it an exciting organisation to work for.
Plenty of training opportunities provided if anyone wished to progress further
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Long hours occasionally
I joined MLCSU in March 2016 as a temporary worker and worked within the Bespoke Interpreting Language and Communication Services team (BILCS). BILCS for me acts as a perfect metaphor for what MLCSU stands for and stands to deliver - a thought-provoking, outside-the-box, considerate and exceptional service. Whilst situated within MLCSU, BILCS staff have had the opportunity to thrive as we have close access to peers from various other departments with which to collaborate with and learn from.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
West Bromwich is a run-down area
Company was a fantastic company to work for. Very supportive and always providing training opportunities.

Daily tasks included data analysis of large complex data sets identifying trends and reporting on these to senior management teams. Producing answers to and responding to Freedom of Information requests. Providing system support to users of a new case management system
I enjoyed working here and the team were friendly and approachable.

Every day was a steep learning curve but I felt supported and valued.

I only wish my role would have gone permanent ):
Pros
Team environment
Cons
steep learning curve
An exciting corporate, customer focused environment to work in.
I have quickly learnt many aspects to medicines commissioning, including managing rebate schemes, commissioning pharmacy services on behalf of NHS England, writing and reviewing PGD's and clinical guidance, contributing to the medicines newsletter, managing cost effective prescribing via scriptswitch for GP surgeries, procuring and managing commissioning software solutions e.g. PharmOutcomes, analysing prescribing data, business cases, financial reports, producing service offers etc.

I work autonomously, managing my own time to work towards deadlines. The most enjoyable part of my role is seeing how my work impacts on our CCG customers and to patient care.
Flexible working hours.

Using the latest technologies - Tableau, SQL Server 2016, SharePoint

Free parking on site, large supermarket nearby
I worked with the team for several months. My manager and colleagues were supportive and I enjoyed working with them. I left when my contract ended, but would have no hesitation in returning to work with them again.
Review of daily actions to be completed
Emails, incoming and outgoing

quality control of all correspondence produced by staff in a timely manner

1-2-1 guidance and support

learned to meed deadlines in a timely manner with support of extra us of management leadership

Interactions with 3rd party suppliers and other departments

Coaching and training to a high level with feedback

Excellent team to work with

Hardest part of the job would be disciplinary meetings

Every day was as enjoyable as the last
Pros
eLearning courses and management support with progression
Cons
Longer hours on some days without notice
I have worked for this organisation for 3 years and have not set any objectives or personal development reviews. I do not meet with my line manager regularly or been offered any training or development. The staff retention is extremely poor as the organisation do not care about their staff at all. The team haven't had a manager for a year as he has been on sick leave which has really had an impact to our motivation and work ethic. DO NOT WORK HERE.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
long hours, no training, no development, do not feel valued, no support or guidance, no training or development.