NHS Lanarkshire

NHS Lanarkshire Employee Reviews

United Kingdom13 reviews
The best part of my job is the communication and working with patients. I find when you are mobilising or going through exercises with patients they open up and generally tell you a lot about themselves. In my job you sometimes find patients refuse to do their rehab and you have to explain to them that its for their own benefit so they usually come round. In the elderly wards you get some really interesting stories even world war stories and how things were back then. It is very satisfiying when they put their trust in you and you see them improve.
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Lack of staff
Work conditions were horrific. National Scottish Living Wage paid for what you were expected to do was a joke. No single days holiday not unless you had a special occasion and even on that special occasion refused. Impossible to take a week's holiday during any school time despite having a child at school. Favourites (or "Senior's" as Practice Manager called them) always allowed holidays, time off for things like 'dress fittings' and daft things whilst the rest of us knocked our pan in and couldn't even attend kids leaving school assembly. Practice Manager would often leave at 12 noon with place in a chaotic mess. Staff regularly would cry with stress, workload was unbearable with one 45min break on a 10 hour shift (which is in fact illegal). The worst job I ever had and taught me never to take nonsense like this from an inept employer ever. Took me a good 10 months to get another job due to no time off allowed. Couple of rude Doctor's into the bargain who wouldn't even acknowledge a polite Good Morning or hello.....
Pros
Cons
Everything as mentioned above
I feel very proud to be a staff nurse within NHS Lanarkshire. There is great training and supervisions
I feel supported by my line manager and feel there’s good team spirit
Pros
Rewarding and challenging
Cons
Pay
I have worked within NHS Lanarkshire for 10 years and have learned alot . My confidence has grown and i am now an experienced registered nurse .
I have gained lots of skills and enjoy my job very much.
Pros
Shift patterns, annual leave
Cons
The team could not have been more helpful in allowing me to settle in. Training provided was excellent and office environment was very relaxed.
Provide the best possible national health service to the public. Always professional and confidential putting patient safety first.
As a clinical assessor for PIP service you are basically working to Atos targets and standards with a veneer of NHS respectability in terms of pay and conditions....however you are still expected to attain a set number of grades before you come off national audit whilst your number of daily assesssments continues to increase. Minimum number of assessments is 5 face to face daily with 5 reports to be submitted by the end of the day. This does not take into account complex assessments with some of the most anxious, angry and unwell population who are terrified of losing their DLA. Claimants often attend with family members, advocates, social workers, health professionals who take notes and ask many questions about the process and also have their own complex concerns. General nurses often feel unskilled in assessing complex mental health and learning disabilities and vica versa. Managers and trainers have little time to help and appear to have become disengaged with the human process. The IT system fails on a regular basis....then you have to deal with helpdesk calls as well as cope with assessments which are piling up but not yet submitted. You start work at 9am and your first assessment is booked in at 9.05am. You are at the mercy of the reception staff who watch you escort one claimant out and your phone is ringing as you go back in. Most staff eat at their desks, some through choice but mainly due to workload. I had many many days when I ate and drank hardly anything and did not leave my room all day. I became stressed and developed pain in my neck and shoulders - more...
Pros
Learned a lot about different medications and health conditions.
Cons
Target based, crude assessment criteria, no time to show compassion, working alone in one room all day.
I enjoy prescribing and working with microbiology and pharmacy to better manage my patients. I work closely with the addictions and pain management teams as well as neurology, neurosurgery and care of the elderly. There is a lot of red tape and the hierarchy in the job place is very strict. There are a lot of politics that are very counterproductive. I do not mind that as I am used to working in very big organisations and such environments. There are many opportunities to learn and there is a very big library at my disposal
Pros
Lots of opportunities to learn
Cons
No opportunities for research, and the tearching and courses are of low quality
very busy from start to finish. can be a very sad place to work depending on what is going on, but can also be quite fun depending on the characters in the ward at the time. It is a new learning experience every day. Some days there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to get through the work load. Management at ward level is always highly visable , always out with the rest of the staff working hand in hand with all the staff, before going about the management side of the job. Co workers are always there if needed. are a friendly and sometimes funny bunch to work with. Everybody is expected to work as a team and is treaded as such. The hardest part of the job is bereavement. Sometimes dealing with bereaved relatives are more difficult to cope with than the actual process of dealing with the patient, The best part of the job is the camaraderie within the team that gets you through the bad times
Cons
Long hours, heavy days and mental fatigue
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at NHS Lanarkshire?
I loved working here I was made welcome and was giving great training.
Pros
training
Cons
Long Days
Good workplace
Good team

Good Management

Good hours

Good establishment to work for
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Only part time role
A typical day at work would include dealing with patients presenting with various different illnesses and injuries. Each patient has to be treated as an individual, even if they have the same illness or injury as another patient within the department. I learned many different things such as how to deal with patients in an emergency - i.e. cardiac arrest. There was also a few experiences that I had of dealing with patients who were violent and aggressive towards staff members. It was part of my responsibility to ensure that the other patients and staff were kept safe.
My manager was very approachable and would ensure that the staff members were fit and well enough to work. There was no discrimination in the workplace.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with the long hours and the fact that each day is different and no-one knows what the day is going to be like.

Taking all of this into consideration, I loved everything about my job and found everything enjoyable.
Pros
Work colleagues and staff management
Cons
Long Hours
i loved my job at the hospital i got on with my co workers , i iloved spending time with the patients .i learned alot i used to start at 6 am to 6pm cook for the patients and served the nurses and doctors.
Pros
free luches
Cons
every weekend