Play YouTube video button

NHS Healthcare Support Workers Employee Reviews

United Kingdom589 reviews
Featured review
NHS Healthcare Support Workers selected this as a representative review
Our day started when we met at our base to load our lorry with all the equipment needed for the donor session and we would then drive to our location in all parts of the south east.
We had great opportunities to advance within the NHS and I personally took advantage of everything that was offered to me.

We worked as part of a really great and mostly supportive team, our day was spent happily with most of us being good friends and even after five years after retirement from the service we still meet for lunch every few months.

The hardest part of the job was the long hours sometimes being away from home for 12 plus hours.
Pros
Team work and advancement
Cons
i love my job as a healthcare assistant but ive tryed to advance my career they score interviews but i just cant get that next band always some excuse from just 1 point short or someone from that ward got it. i personally think that its a age thing to be honest . the hours are terrible as we do days and nights in the same week and that takes some getting over not enough time to recover from your shifts either
Cons
long hours and shifts
Love my job appreciated every shift. Great team work. Awesome rota. If I need help it's there from my team and management. Welcomed me soon as I started, love doing bank shifts too as I get to pick other departments and learn more. .
Pros
Further levels
Cons
My ward is fast paced, have fab colleagues and manager. Pay i think is a little low for what is expected of you. Very rewarding job, ongoing training lots of opportunities to learn.
Great company very flexible working culture.. more focus of employee wellbeing. Lot of overtime oppurtunities yet very flexible. Thoroughly enjoy working here.
Rubbish management and bullies don’t care about staff or patients people treated with little respect and the
Higher the staff positions the more horrible they became : full of backstabbing horrible people
Pros
7 weeks holiday a year
Cons
Worse place in the world
I worked here for a period of time and was stressful no support from management no social life got told nhs is ur priority made me feel low and like I had no life outside of work
From coleagues to management everyone always cared about me and tried to help me out. You can say you need a 5 minute time out if you a feeling majorly overwhelmed just be open
Pros
amazing people to work with, good wages
Cons
Role can be very stressful and mentally draining sometimes
Avoid working at the St Aubyns centre! They’re all bullies! They have a clique going on so you will never feel part of their team. Horrible place!!!!!
Pros
Some of the band 2 and 3’s are lovely.
Cons
Management are bullies especially band 6’s and 7’s
It’s a great place to work you have to have a fast right, you have to learn on the job.
It’s a stable job but you will have a good community to work with
Very busy clinic area. No two days are the same. Many skills used and learnt. It's a work in progress environment. Very multi cultural. Sometimes with language barriers that need overcoming.
Very supportive staff team.
Pros
Very variable working days. Supportive staff team. Training and new skills are encouraged.
Cons
Sometimes feels like there arenot enough hours in the day to achieve all you want to achieve.
I love working for NHS. Iv not worked for NHS long but the short time I have had a great experience and has help me grow and develop skills and confidents .
I love my job & what I did but there is lots of room for improvement!

Pay needs looking into.

Management need to spend more time on wards.

Patients need to be listened to.

Doctors need more dementia training.
Working for 111 was a good opportunity to use my skills to listen to people and help them. I found the culture of the job was very much us(agency) and them the full time staff. Training was two weeks intense and didnt provide all information when in the role
Very clicky place to work ,where bullying is allowed certain lazy staff do no work whilst you do everything and they think they rule the roost I'd I'd definitely advise not to work there .
Cons
Ok to work for, however more of a medical approach which is understandable, with limited acceptance of social interventions and benefit to mental health.
Busy day caring for the elderly which is enjoyable colleges are hard working management are supportive as well. Learn A lot from the elderly patients about their lives when they were younger. Workplace culture can be interesting.
I grew a lot as a person working for the NHS. It was a privilege to care for those in need and to work with such an amazing team. Interacting with new people and getting an insight into many people's lives was the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job was seeing patient's who were acutely confused or in pain and often feeling helpless as to how to help them.
I enjoy working on the bank but I don't like that every day your on a new ward an it's like starting a new job every day it's stressful but I intend to work as a midwifewhen I qualify so stressful is good
Working for the NHS is incredibly rewarding but very challenging. Most colleagues are great fun and a pleasure to work with. however, there is definitely an aspect of hierarchy discrimination.
Working for the nhs is very rewarding , you work long hours helping people from all diffrent backgrounds . It can be demanding but you get support from others