NHS BLOOD AND TRANSPLANT

NHS BLOOD AND TRANSPLANT Employee Reviews

United Kingdom23 reviews
I've worked here through an agency for 8 months and can honestly say thoroughly enjoyed it here. The team and management are easy to work along side and definitely know how to enjoy and make the most of each day. The hours are the best I've ever found, and the work life balance is great would highly recommend trying to get a role here. My only personal failing is the wage isn't what I need for my personal situation.
Very nice work culture, People are good to help and talk.
Management was very understanding. Work from home was available when required.I will highly recommend anyone to join who is looking for a Work life balance.
It was clear from day 1 that they value their employees and that inclusion is very important to them. It promotes diversity in all aspects. They seem focused in continuous improvement, by holding various work shops for employees to attend, such as 'problem solving' events aimed at different areas within the working environment (for example there could be a work shop for working relationships, and another or processes). Employees are eligible for the blue light card that offers a range of benefits. Because I have only worked here a short time I rated 'trust' 3/5 because I don't feel I have enough experience to comment... Although it is clear that they value honesty, therefore it wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that trust is also valued. The work its self as a blood production assistant is as advertised in the job description.. No surprises there. They offer a range of shifts from day through to nights. Usually you are offered a fixed shift pattern which will be specified in the job advertisement/at the point of interview. A typical day includes POD work, this is where you work in a small section with another employee and process units of blood (separating red blood cells from the plasma) ready for transfusion. The plasma is also used to make various products. Over all I think it's a great place to work, it's also a good cause... processing blood helps save lives. Sometimes you get to hear success stories of how blood processed on site has helped a patient.
Work life not great but overall not a bad company just not for me long hours swaps available but not always convenient having a car preferable and hours have a start time but not a finishing time! Not suitable for young families
A typical day in work will see between 80 and 135 donors.
With all jobs that are public facing, you can get annoyed and irritable people, but I don't think you'd ever get around that factor in life. However, most are 100% lovely, and are genuinely there to do a good deed, which always makes the job worthwhile

Some of the stories that you hear are truly heartbreaking/heartwarming and everything in between.

Like all sectors oh the NHS, we also feel the pressures of the cuts - with more appointment slots and less staff it can start to feel like a conveyor belt of blood bags and faces, but if you push past this, the staff and donors really do make it a great place to work.

Now with the change of salary, the starting rate is much better (just over £18800 - compared to the £16600 when I started).

As most people know who have working from an admin side, there is always more than is happening behind the scenes.

Managing the platelets demand is an on going tasks which will require energy an attention - it is not out of the ordinary when a call from above says that we can nationally run out in a few days and we desperately need to build stocks.

If you don't like speaking to strangers on the phone and asking (aka playfully begging) them to come in a short notice, then unfortunately this isn't the job for you.
This post would have been so much better with an approachable manager. High staff turnover but salary very good.
No chance of progression. Can be long days, finishing late.

Lot of lifting and setting up equipment as it’s a mobile unit.

Lovely meeting all the people coming to donate.
Savings & Improving Lives is what it's about.

Good organisation, good values, and very passionate colleagues.

A world class organisation, and part of the wider NHS.
Dubious ethics. Poor management. Nepotism abundant. The potential to be a great company, however, complacency is entrenched and there is little critical reflection.
Being on a mobile team doing late sessions we start around 12:30pm until about 7pm. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people everyday and learning about their reasons for donating, its nice to create that kind of relationship with donors as it makes them have a great experience and want to come back to donate in the future. Full training is all provided, based on site and in training facilities. Working full time doing around 75 working hours every fortnight, this means you work 4 days within the 7. Mostly they are weekdays but on occasion it may be a weekend (with my team specifically). It is great to know that you are directly involved in the blood donation process, and it is important to remember that on stressful days, every donation counts.
Pros
Full training
Cons
Long unsociable hours
Everyone is very friendly and hardworking. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to meet new people every day and being able to share their experience with them.
Unreasonable goals set for the working day, which always overruns.

The people working here are amazing, but are being overworked and are underappreciated and so are disheartened.

It feels like a constant battle with planning to try get a reasonable work load for the day.
Too much work not enough staff.
Not to let off steam as you are on deaf ears nothing gets done about it. If you cant hack it look for another job.

Management letting staff reduce their hours and not thinking what impact it has on the Full Time Staff left to pick up the extra work load. Management not communicating properly with staff, regarding changes, if you are not in that day you are supposed to know what the changes are.

Enjoyable part speaking to staff regarding their queries and receiving thanks for being so helpful.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
Difficult to switch off
I have had experience of working in the same organisation but for a different department, Estates & Facilities. This job allowed me to evolve in respect of responsibility as I was largely working on my own initiative due to my manager working remotely. This gave me the opportunity to learn about tender exercises from contractors and getting involved in the meetings.
Pros
Ability to gain experience outside of my Job Specification
Cons
Having a manager that rarely came in to the office and communicated via email mostly
Friendly, professional workplace. There is a basic structure in the area I am in and the work is different ever day. There is plenty of scope for overtime.
friendly staff and management with plenty of training provided by those on site.

Can become a very busy environment so you needn't apply unless you're confident it's something you're used to dealing with.
Pros
45 minute lunch, early starts and early finished, 27 days annual leave
Cons
Not much room to progress
A great place to work. Great opportunities to learn and progress yourself within a supportive environment, it was good being a small part contributing to saving and improving peoples lives.
Very forward thinking and proactive organisation.
Rewards those who work hard.

Aims to achieve exceptional work/life balance.

Works hard at keeping open channels of communication for such a widespread organisation.

Great variety of career development opportunities.
Great place, with great people and great facilities.
High volume of samples to process, but it had a very well structured pipeline. Learned a lot.
Pros
Work conditions
Cons
long hours, but very enjoyable and rewarding.
Large variety of work locations and always meeting new people.

Colleagues very knowledgeable and friendly
Same old problem of remote management who reorganise without and idea of the effects on the ground. Example 1: Appointments system for donors introduced. Did NOT work and resulted in MASSIVE delays and complaints from donors. Example 2: Remote Complaints Management 'trying' to use standard procedures. Over bureaucratic. Complaints should initially be handled locally! Example 3: Three teams at Exeter, Taunton and North Devon were ALL allowed to develop their own working practices. Example 4: Remote overall management who did not allow local manager autonomy.

Having said all that I did enjoy the job and the many challenges it gave me. Also some amazing, dedicated staff!
This job involved dealing with many blood donors a day dealing with admin tasks such as appointments to medical emergencies arising from donations.

It was an interesting job, which always made an effort to improve your skills. When busy, however, it did prove challenging, especially with the occasional unhappy donor.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
long shifts
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NHS BLOOD AND TRANSPLANT. Our community is ready to answer.