NFU Mutual

NFU Mutual Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative16 reviews
United Kingdom16 reviews
The best call center to work in. Doesn't feel like a call center, great managers, people would do anything for each other. great customers.

overall a good place to work. competitive salary etc.
The pay your receive for the role is shocking. Compliance is be all and end all, so if you make mistakes, you likely to be sacked. The stress just isn’t worth it.

Managment care more about the money coming in than progressing you and looking after you
Pros
9-5 job
Cons
Too much stress
Not always understanding when it comes to health issues but still a good company to work for. Always happy for you to explore other areas of the business for personal development but some customers can be difficult.
With the type job role, you have to be so compliant that you can not relax and enjoy the job as you are continuously being monitored. The salary of min wage is poor and does not justify the job role.
A typical day at work at NFU was based around customer service and sales. I learned how to analyse risk of fraud, retention and targets. Management was superb and there is always help when needed. The environment was friendly and we had many benefits to working here such as fun days out, Christmas parties and bonuses. The hardest part of the job was trying to gain sales, interaction with the customers was easy and managing to sell the policy was also however the underwriters were extremely strict. I found it hard to sell policies as every one had to be approved by our underwriters. Customers found it offensive when the first action you take is to check their postcode and determine whether they live in a wealthy area. I enjoyed this job as you are constantly having a conversation with a customer, you benefit from your hard work and I found friends for life.
Good place to work, able to chat to colleagues between calls, lots of fun nights organised.
Normal targets within insurance business, relaxed atmosphere for a call centre environment.
Pros
City Centre
Cons
Late Finishes
Unfortunately this particular branch was very click, and if you didn't fit a particular package then you would be an outsider.
Managers tended to allow one rule for one and another rule for the rest of the team.

Training was never provided and if you found yourself struggling on a particular policy and requested assistance it would be given but begrudgingly and you would be made to feel an outcast.
Good. Very organised and professional.

Good pay and need to be hardworking efficient.

Busy working day always dealing with customers either on the on the phone or face to face.
I have to say that NFU has to be the worst place I have ever worked.

The managers are so unhelpful, they won’t take calls when asked to do so and to be honest with you they are clueless and don’t provide you with any help / support or guidance to assist you in developing your career.

The Members of staff who work there are very ignorant and disgusting and the hours you are required to work are a disgrace along with the pay.

My advice would be to find an alternative employer as it’s a face fits environment and if yours doesn’t then you will be targeted.
Pros
Cons
Managers, Pay, Hours or Work
Good company to work for but lacks staff promotion .

Typical day would consist of selling all insurance products, making changes to exciting policies, dealing with query,; intimate, process and manage office claims.

During my time I have meet some interesting and lovely people who are all based around your area. This makes you feel part of the community. I have also learnt to understand and appreciate each individuals circumstances and in doing so I have tried to help in the best way I can.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
No company progression
Not overly taxing work but in a small office could get very petty behaviour from some staff which made days awkward. Training wasnt the best it could be.
Good Job - good company to work with. Good colleagues. Great benefits. Great training. Most enjoyable part was dealing with people. difficult targets to meet at times.
The company has changed a lot over the 10 years I worked there. It has great benefits such as a standard 25 days holiday (27 after 5 years) and flexi time, plus the pension is great too (put 8% in and it's made up to 20%). BUT the jobs are mainly very repetitive and there is no career progression for most, as jobs are fixed for friends and although asking for qualifications and help progressing, they wouldn't help me as they said it wasn't relevant to my role. How are you supposed to get on in this company if they won't let you do the relevant qualifications?! Madness!

Another thing to bear in mind is the awful bureaucracy of their annual 'Managing Achievement' reviews. This isn't annual...it's all year! On and on having 6 weekly meetings on career development (just means more work will be dumped on you) and how you meet the 'personal stars' (egs to prove you can do your job). Really is a waste of time and gets you nowhere, but if you don't do it you don't get your annual bonus every April.

I have since moved, gained a good pay rise and within 3 months am studying for qualifications to further my chosen career path. It's great not working for such a big company, smaller companies seem to value you a lot more and invest in you, even if the benefits aren't that great.
Pros
Great pension, put 8% in company make it up to 20%, flexi time, bonus every April of up to 10%
Cons
Lack of career progression, repetitive work, Managing Achievement reviews
Overall I enjoyed my time at NFU. The people were great, work was done and we were awarded accordingly.
My enjoyment of helping customers over the phone was becoming less and lees satisfying though.
Pros
good company
Cons
call centre environment was becoming intolerable
I find that a day in this Agency is extremely varied and this helps with enjoyment of the job.

Whilst employed at this Agency I have learned a lot about time management and a wide range of product knowledge. In terms of management I find that they are very flexible and accommodating as well as being very understanding.
There is no such thing as a typical day, every day is different, I learned a lot at the NFU, adding to my skills base with Sales Experience and increasing customer service skills.

NFUM in Honley is a small office and the staff from peers to management are very supportive with training needs and work life balance.