Next PLC Employee Reviews

Found 2,937 reviews matching the search See all 3,145 reviews
A good first job.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands7 November 2018
A typical day at work at next would include coming in before the shop opening hours to clean and tidy the stock and do a shop floor scan or move which would be in the weekdays if we had a phase change or after sales. A shop floor scan was a weekly occurrence which made sure that all of the systems and logs were up to date of where the clothes were and how much stock we had. I would be placed either replenishing the stock, moving stock, tidying the stock or on the tills and in the fitting rooms. Occasionally i would be put on delivery to help other areas out. When we had sales, i would always be on sale prep the night before and on the early as i was an experienced member of staff.
Next was my first job and it taught me patience and commitment. I was very committed to helping my team and i very much enjoyed the social aspect of the job.
The hardest part of the job was the difficult and unsociable hours when it was sale time,
The most enjoyable part of the job was making friendships and everyone helping each other out.
Pros
Being so sociable at work
Cons
Long sometimes difficult hours
Workload and pay are not met. Poor management. Hard to progress
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London23 December 2017
Hard to progress esp if you work in small store unless willing to be transfered to a bigger store when vacancies become available. The payrise is a joke, meaning it doesnt happen unless goverment says so. Management team is a fault finder, so quick to criticise but slow to praise ( close to never)
Not recommended.
Pros
A bit more secure than many other retailers.
Basically you become a slave
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  South Elmsall, West Yorkshire15 July 2018
Worst job ever, near on impossible targets, 90% of people cant speak proper english. Warehouse is about as hot as the face of the Sun, the Team Managers (GLORIFIED SUPERVISORS) think they're CEO of Next and need a reality check. All the equipment is dropping to bits and stinks of sweat. There is also forced overtime, also known as flex where you must work an extra shift so many weeks of the year, to earn days off.
If you're a brain dead zombie then you'll have no problem becoming a NEXT WARRIOR, but if you've got at least a couple of brain cells rubbing together in that head of yours, you'll avoid this job as I should've.
Pros
Quitting
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London30 June 2018
The mundane work place should be productive somewhat enjoyable. Work place culture should be uplifting, work ethic and moral should be nothing but excellent.
Pros
long hours, free lunch
Cons
bad management
Enjoyable Experience
Xmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne5 January 2019
I had a temp job during the christmas sales period and gained some good experience from it. There was plenty of variety available from being given shifts in different departments aswell as being able to work on tills and shop floor. Sales prep was quite manic however it was a good experience to gain fast-paced skills from. Overall it was an enjoyable experience especially with all the staff being friendly and welcoming also.
Pros
Bonus for working boxing day and over the xmas period. First pick of sales stock
Cons
No breaks during 4 hour shifts.
poor higher management
UK Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire23 November 2018
poor higher management low pay only perks is discount excpect a lot of work for the money they pay you compared to previous company's, lack of respect from higher management always your fault never there's.
Dreadful place
Home Team Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire28 November 2018
Management were psychopaths who would not suceed anywhere else, dickensian rules (can't have longer than a 5 minute toilet break) and overall nasty culture. Avoid at all costs, there is a reason they have high turnover.
Repetitive and Unwelcoming
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 August 2018
I worked here when I was 16/17 and frequently felt patronised by managers as I was younger and I felt they would often give me the worst jobs to do knowing that I would not argue.
I worked relentlessly throughout the sale and other busy periods, and I would often be the only till trained member of staff on a department which made it hard to give good customer service as was expected.
I was at college at the time and they would sometimes ask me to skip classes so I could work and be annoyed when I said no.
I was frequently moved about and given different areas to work in when I had little experience.
The work in general was very repetitive.
It might have been to do with the time that I worked there and my age but they made me feel very unwelcome and I used to dread going in.
Pros
Other members of staff could pick up your shifts online
Cons
Not a nice environment
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire23 July 2018
The workplace had a friendly team of floor workers which I was proud to be a part of.

Management were generally quite understanding when issues arose, however at times can get stressful whilst the floor is busy with customers.
Pros
Clothing Discounts
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Good first job, lively workplace
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk20 September 2018
I worked on Saturdays and was consistently encouraged by my team leader to complete training courses to improve my skills, therefore I feel this job taught me a lot about retail. However there was often a lack of support directly on the shop floor from the management which sometimes left me unsure what to do.
Pros
Really good system to see/adjust/pick up shifts (Shift Marketplace)
Cons
Lack of management support
Bad company to work for
STOCKROOM ASSISTANT (HEAD TEAM COACH) (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London5 December 2018
Management are rude every store you go to. They treat you like a slave and do not give you credit for your hard work.
Introduced a bonus scheme for delivery assistants who meets daily target and when you get bonus they put you on disciplinary accusing you of manipulating their bonus system.
Pros
Cons
Bad company
Fun, but at times boring
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey5 June 2018
Nice group of employees and the managers were nice
Sometimes the job was a little boring if the shop was not busy
Lunch break was short.
I learnt how to deal with difficult customers.
Working during the boxing day sales was a great experience as developed certain skills further such as management, working under pressure, communication, teamwork and others
Pros
Store discount, friendship
Next Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydenham7 August 2018
At next you are greeted by friendly staff and management which creates a good healthy working environment. the mix of younger and older staff allows for learning and entertainment
Pros
Good team building
Bad Management, Unproductive, Profit making company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wednesfield, West Midlands27 August 2018
Embarrassing place to work. Treat their staff like dirt. Won't let the staff work over 16hrs a week. Only promote to staff to those who's face fits. Management couldn't run if they tried.

Children's-wear manager was rude but used to cry to get attention a sign of weakness if you asked me.
Another member of the staff on the home department, was her best-friend. Both snakes if you asked me.
Pros
25% discount. But not on sale stuff.
Cons
everything
Useless Management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thanet District, Kent28 October 2018
Managers are useless there’s no communication got told one thing by one manager then another came and told me I shouldn’t be doing that and told me to do something else, mostly all rude and patronising staff wouldn’t recommend at all, have to pay for your own locker and they’re about the size of a kebab box.
Pros
Discount on clothes
Cons
Useless management
Low salary and little flexibility with hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derry, County Londonderry13 January 2018
Little flexibility when it comes to hours especially around busy period (unless you can get someone to cover you, you have no chance of getting it off). Salary is low for under 21s and little additional benefits. There is little training but an expectation for you to do things by the book none the less. Breaks are way too short e.g half an hour for an 8 hour shift.
Pros
Hours are shown well in advance
Cons
Low pay, short breaks
Horrible place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Armthorpe, South Yorkshire30 August 2018
Awful management the linger your there the more you realise NEXT is not as great as it perceives to be.
Full of nasty people
Rushed training with all different trainers
I had to go hospital and got told I was going to be sacked as I was still in probation
4 on 4 off is a lie you have to do 5 on 2 off really
Always getting things wrong for customers and tell you to transfer a customer if you don't Wang to deal witb it ..
Pros
Staff shop
Cons
Everyyhing else
Horrible place to work
Picking Operative (Former Employee) –  South Elmsall, West Yorkshire9 August 2018
This is a horrible place to work, they made picking so complicated, then with their annoying bonus scheme that has you putting things down on paper when you take breaks. Another annoying thing was changing floors for picking, so horrible. Like why can't they just have a shift where a certain number of people are put on the middle floor to pick for the whole shift, while some are on the top floor and then they could make it rotational.
Climbing the ladder all the time because of their high shelves was just too annoying, and to top it all off we were not paid what we were told we would be paid for the night shift. I would never work there again or encourage anyone I know to work for next,especially as a picking operative.
Pros
Cons
Not a thing
HGV Driver
HGV Driver class 1 and 2 (Former Employee) –  South Ockendon, Essex11 July 2018
Good job if you're a robot, early and late starts in the same week, split rests ie 24 hrs, sometimes you're on a late start say 5pm and get a short shift, only because they want you in as early as poss the next day with just 9 hrs off, management at the time couldn't care less, timed jobs to the second, was questioned why was late leaving the yard 4mins late to be exact, this was my first week and was studying the maps of stores I'd never been to before, worst job in a long time,
Pros
Good pay, other drivers good bunch
Cons
ridiculous rostas
Productive work place
Target Seasonal Team Member (Former Employee) –  Warrington4 November 2018
A typical day at next consisted of tagging sale items, serving customers, also organising new clothes that were in packaging. It was a very fun job and everyone was positive.
Pros
Productive work place
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.