Next PLC Employee Reviews

Fun but Hard.
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran, Monmouthshire13 March 2018
The people at Next Cwmbran are really lovely. I enjoyed my time there very much. The work was fun, but hard with a few long hours. I would definitely work there again now my kids are older.
Pros
Great people to work for.
I love it here!
Customer service advisor (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, Armthorpe12 March 2018
Honestly one of the best jobs ive ever had.
In a nutshell yes you are on probation for 3-6 months and yes you do have to work at it. Theres plenty of coaching an if you feel there isnt just ask!.
I dont know what this mention of clicks comes from the whole place is very welcoming and open.
Next customers are a mixture of understanding to down right rude but you get that in any customer facing job anyway.
Pay is brilliant with up to triple pay overtime available. Chance to earn an extra 26% bonus every three months too, of course you have to hit certain targets but these are easily achieved.
Yes there is mandatory overtime during the summer and at christmas upto 4 hrs per day and u get to pick the day, dont see the problem with this who doesnt want extra money? Laughable. Calls are priority but when its quiet you get switched to emails or online chat which is a nice break.
Id recommend taking a lunch with you there isnt much choice in the canteen.
Seriously though if your not happy voice concerns ive had loads of personal problems and theyve been nothing but supportive. If you dont ask you dont get simple. Im currently pregnant and about to go on maternity leave in 8 weeks so good luck and have an open mind x
Pros
Pay, colleagues, bonus, social
Cons
To long between breaks, Needs a better canteen
warehouse operative
next distribution (Former Employee) –  south elmsall12 March 2018
great workplace and team work. promt time keeping and attendance. . scanning , checking codes , finding items ect. next has fair policy and a awsome company and pleasure to work for.
Company with an identity crisis
Stockroom & Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Solihull11 March 2018
Next is so keen to develop itself and bring in new initiatives it often contradicts itself to what it asked of the staff 12 months ago. It lacks concrete decisions and firm direction as a company but also in stores.

As a whole it is a pleasant place to work. Operational departments are more light hearted places to work but the constant increase in workload can put a lot of pressure on the staff - some of which are young and only part-time.

It's a company wanting to be taken seriously but until it advances the right people with salaries to reflect its expectations; this just isn't going to happen. Next has lost a lot of good managers and staff thanks to the companies whims, sporadic changes and poor salaries - their loss though!
Pros
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, poor salary, no people focus
Great workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oldham9 March 2018
The staff was amazing and so was the atmosphere. I did not last in this job because it was only Christmas temporary. I loved turning up to work because i was included a lot and the environment was lovey,
Pros
good pay
Cons
not permanent
Enjoyable and friendly atmosphere.
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Colchester9 March 2018
A good rapport with staff and customers alike. Friendly and relaxed but generally a fast paced service required due to the time of year.
Made to feel welcome by all staff for the short and temporary time I was there.
Pros
Working with a good friendly team and customers.
Cons
Parking distance and fees.
Where do I even begin?
DELIVERY COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury8 March 2018
I spent a long 6 years of my life at Next. For the most part I enjoyed my job as stockroom co-ordinator and loved my team. Unfortunately my manager openly admitted that she never quite took to me and things were always quite awkward. I got absolutely no support from management. When I was promoted into this role I was told simply "there is no training for you" and then I was marked poorly on performance reviews even though my team were achieving their goals on a daily basis. Working the stockroom at Next is hard work. It's also thankless work. Every year we had what they like to call "consultations" where they basically review and amend your contract and you have no choice. Every year I had my hours cut on my contract but I was still expected to be there all the time.

It's not a great job if you have bills to pay. I'm sure it's fine in bigger stores where deliveries are bigger, unfortunately in my smaller store, we only had 2 deliveries a week. If the delivery was big, we were expected to stay to finish it and if it was small, we were sent home without pay, even though those hours were planned in on the rota.

I'm sure it differs from store to store, but in my 6 years within the company, I've been sent to various stores to help set up new stores, help clear backlog of deliveries to stores that were struggling, to train new co-ordinators, so I've seen for myself how each store can be different, unfortunately the one thing that remains the same, is that management only care about the shop floor...about the bit the customers can see. I don't believe stockroom staff are supported
  more... in this company at all.  less
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Stockroom and team get forgotten.
fun place to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 March 2018
during your day you could be called to cover other depatments but the management always made you feel welcomed to the team the hardest part of the job is dealing with the 5am sales
Pros
discount on unform
Cons
shift pattern
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Knaresborough5 March 2018
Day shop opens at 9am but work on a shift pattern, worked here when the shop first opened so it was very interesting worked on the homeware department, Management and colleagues all very friendly.
okay
Temporary Christmas (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead, Berkshire5 March 2018
good for a first job or work experience. I dont have any other experience than that so i can't really comment on it much! filling vharacters now.......
Lovely people - bad pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames4 March 2018
The people at next kingston are lovely and fun to work with and taught me a lot about retail. I would typically either be on the shop floor or in the delivery department. The management was great, really helpful. I was only a temp, so I got minimum wage which is £6.20, that was the hardest thing about the job.
Good place to work,however busting a nut for no rewards,0 hour contract should be illegal.we work for our holidsys an a bit of freedom .
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland2 March 2018
Job itself is easy,bog standard.however i really disagree that the staff cant take a weekend off without getting paid,like holiday intitlemant,next as far as am aware is the only company who do this.not a good way to treat the staff that keeps the company running...BUCKLE UP an treat your staff right :)
Pros
Mmmmmm
Cons
0 hour contracts.
Wouldn’t recomend working here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York Vangarde, North Yorkshire2 March 2018
The structure of the company itself is amazing and well put together.
But in this particular store the staff get too involved in each other! Members of staff and management talking behind each other’s backs. Bulling. No respect for each other. Very cliquey. A lot of managers have their favourites who they treat differently to the rest. Not very professional at all. Not a very nice place to work. Would defiantly not recomend it.
do not work in the harlequin store!!! or any!!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire2 March 2018
one of the worst companies i've ever worked for. starting the job
i always wondered why people left so often but finally understood it was mainly due to management and their rudeness, lack of organisation and ripped me off my hourly rate. was getting £6.30 as a 20 year old when my other 20 year old friend was getting £7 + ?? they need to sort themselves out. awful place
Different
Compute sales prices (Former Employee) –  Purley, Greater London1 March 2018
Tidying up, stock check, customer service

I learnt you will either like retail or hate it.

Not much given

Good

Doing the sales at young age dealing with the choas at 4.00am

Experiencing it
Pros
learning
Cons
standing
Only interested in profits
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Essex1 March 2018
The company is only interested in profits and doesn't care who or how many people they have to screw over to get them!

Cut staff bonuses in half, twice, in a 12 month period despite making hundreds of million pounds profit.

They do not care about leaving work at work, and will contact you at all hours for the smallest things.
Fun and social
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 February 2018
Stocked and restocked merchandise
reorganised shop floor and clothing
worked during sale season so quick working and no sitting down

the staff were very nice but one of the managers wasn't that great
Pros
nice atmosphere
Cons
busy
fun friendly environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton28 February 2018
learnt a lot about working in retail and how busy it can get. most enjoyable part of the job was doing work together as a group as everyone was so lovely and helped me when I was new.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth28 February 2018
I would make sure the floor is tidy with items hung up. Check the changing room for items to take back out to the shop floor. I learned that you need to keep an eye out for customers around you that may need help at any time. I had to manage my self to get all my tasks complete by the end of each day. The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends and getting to know all of the customers.
Pros
Good amount of time for lunch and breaks.
Cons
Customers that were rude towards me.
Fast paced role but in an enjoyable environment
Trainee Buyer (Current Employee) –  Leicester28 February 2018
A great company to work for with excellent benefits. Management style varies depending upon the division worked in. The most enjoyable part of the role is being able to take on lots of responsibility for your own product development.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.