Next PLC Employee Reviews

Found 2,847 reviews matching the search See all 3,053 reviews
Ok
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Feltham20 August 2018
Cant remember too much as was a while ago but ok palce to work, good stuff, cant compain, ok hours, good manager at the time, overall learned a lot at the time
Bad management, poor pay for the hours, overworked
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands20 August 2018
Work so many hours with little pay, worked on departments I wasn’t trained in, both my managers were horrible one of them didn’t even know my name for gods sake and the other one was so rude when I had time off in hospital, same boring tasks over and over again, no praise for doing a good job ever and you work your bum off, even the staff looked unhappy or were unhappy, worst job I’ve ever done in my life, I dreaded going to work everyday, Boxing Day sale was the worst thing I’ve ever experienced please I beg anyone do not work here you will hate it and this is the Fort shopping park store in Birmingham I can’t describe the other stores but imagine the same
Pros
Benefits and discounts
Cons
Long hours, little pay
Repetitive Work, Poor Pay, Bad Management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim18 August 2018
Underpaid big time to deal with customers. £7.38 an hour for over 21 but someone who has worked for a year for Next but only 18 will be on the same hourly pay instead of the minimum wage for that age range. How is that fair? Should be at least £9 an hour now.

Jobs carried out are tedious and repetitive. Little thanks given by management for going above and beyond to complete tasks.
Pros
Possible Bonus dependent on Sales
Cons
Boxing Day Sales
Fun Workplace
Next - Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes16 August 2018
I had many responsibilities whilst working at Next. For example:
Use specialised product knowledge to assist customers in designated store;
Identifying and responding to customer needs;
Locating specific items for shoppers;
Priced merchandise;
Distributed stock to shop floor;
Worked well as a team whilst under pressure;
Maintained clear area policy.
I was also able to meet and work with such an amazing team.
Fun workplace
Sales Support Team (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands16 August 2018
Learned how to work within a team and maximise sales while getting to know friendly people.
Management of the store was very organised and helped sales support team to settle in during busy sale periods
Bad management in outlook stores
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Colne, Lancashire15 August 2018
Nobody knew what they were doing, which lead to the people who care about the company and work hard and efficently contracts not getting renewed, whilst people that didn't know how things worked and worked slow got to stay
Good job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 August 2018
Very busy period. Memebers of staff were really friendly and you was able to get along with others. Jobs werent that hard and it was flexible. Good management and people were nice.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
busy all the time
Bully environment and terrible management, all for minimum wage (even at 11pm on Christmas Eve)
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland13 August 2018
I have recently left this company after working here for 5 years and my biggest regret is that I didn't leave sooner. Out of the 4 managers I had 3 of them were unprofessional, unfair and incapable. When I left the shop I was working in last I left with 5 other members of staff, who also couldn't bear the mind numbingly boring work with constant tension and stress any longer. To top it all off a few of us including myself, ended up owing the company money which they "accidentally overpaid us" at some point.

Also having to work every day coming up to a Christmas as well as into the night on Christmas Eve and straight back in on Boxing Day morning for no extra pay and far more stress is never worth it.

The only good thing about this job is the strong bonds you make with other staff on your level, who are also a bit miserable.

Don't work for this company.
Pros
25% discount on poor quality items.
Cons
Having to work into the night on Christmas Eve, to be straight back in for Boxing Day morning. All for minimum wage.
Bullying culture, pay is terrible, hours are terrible, they treat workers like dirt
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Metrocentre, Gateshead12 August 2018
Metrocentre store:

There is a culture of bullying from management, they have their favorites, who are all either related to them or are the kids who never do any work.

One of the top managers is in a relationship with the stockroom manager and all of their children and children's partners work in the same store. It's like a mafia where that family does no work as they obviously have the security of management family, and everyone else has to pick up their slack. People are victimized for not being related to management and blamed for things they haven't done, or things they have done exactly the same as management's family.

Shifts will be cancelled all the time, sometimes with only a few hours notice, sometimes they don't bother telling you at all. They expect favours, for you to be available 24/7, but they wont give you enough hours to keep a roof over your head.

Your uniform must be current season stock and you're expected to buy new clothes all of the time as new lines are added monthly, You get 75% discount on uniform but with the amount you have to buy it gets expensive. Adults must have managers permission to buy anything as uniform, but nothing is said about the kids wearing different brands.

I've been working 6 days a week, mostly 12 hour shifts and still can barely afford to pay my bills. When they let you pick up a shift that is more than 5 hours they make half the day your break so you're not earning any extra money, you're working for free for half a day. There's been times where people have done a 3 hour shift and been given a half hour break
  more... as next don't want to pay you.

Like it tends to happen in retail it's very clique-y, you're either part of the gang or they make your time there terrible.

Only apply here if you're a young student, have no responsibilities and don't mind being treated like dirt from management and customers alike.
Pros
25% staff discount, good clothes.
Cons
bad pay, bad hours, can't make a living
Next have had to keep one step in front of its rivals.
LGV C+E Driver (Former Employee) –  South Elmsall12 August 2018
A good company.a good job exellent working environment.i was treated well and gained a respect from my peers.the hardest part was working nights.the job is second to none.i used to get a decree of satisfaction knowing that some one could order a item before midnight and be wearing it before dinner time.
Pros
well paid, well looked after a good job
Cons
I just had enough of working nights.
Best to avoid
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Camberley12 August 2018
Where to start, the hourly rate is low, could be lower but then also could be better. The management is shocking and if you are under the age of 25 you will probably be treated badly. The positives would be the other members of staff and the fact you can add on additional shifts through the online market place.Other than this, for a long term job i would suggest avoiding this company. For short term employment or first time jobs its not too bad.
Pros
Everyone else working there will most likely hate it too
Cons
Boring and bad pay
Fun experience as some roles allow you to socialise with the customers.
Next - Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham12 August 2018
Even doing the most unsatisfactory job role which was recovering clothes which were no longer on there hangers had its peak of being in an ordinary conversation.
Pros
You could put your shift online for the chance that i’d get picked by a colleague.
Cons
Nothing.
An okay stop gap.
Team Coach (Former Employee) –  Wales11 August 2018
If it wasn't for the terrible management, it'd be a good place to work. The turnover in the store is ridiculous and I have never seen a place break a man like they did to the previous manager.
Get a permanent contract for 2/3 days a week and you'll be fine. If you go full-time, you've handed the devil your soul and he's wiping his cheeks with it.
hated it
sales assistance for Wakefield Trinity (Former Employee) –  Trinity10 August 2018
it was hard work where everyone wanted to get to the top. the managers actually used to scare me and made me hate going to work even more. i gave up on retail
Horrible place to work
Picking Operative (Former Employee) –  South Elmsall, West Yorkshire9 August 2018
This is a horrible place to work, they made picking so complicated, then with their annoying bonus scheme that has you putting things down on paper when you take breaks. Another annoying thing was changing floors for picking, so horrible. Like why can't they just have a shift where a certain number of people are put on the middle floor to pick for the whole shift, while some are on the top floor and then they could make it rotational.
Climbing the ladder all the time because of their high shelves was just too annoying, and to top it all off we were not paid what we were told we would be paid for the night shift. I would never work there again or encourage anyone I know to work for next,especially as a picking operative.
Pros
Cons
Not a thing
Standard Retail
Temporary Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough9 August 2018
Normal working environment, very wide range of skills required and new ones to develop and learn, challenging and hard work especially at busy times of the year.
Modern place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 August 2018
I would serve and approach customers on the shopfloor meeting their need and expectations I learned about the basics of customers service and teamwork the management was very helpful and friendly and the culture was calm and well mannered, the hardest part was working during busy periods and the most most enjoyable part was serving customers as they came into the store.
Pros
Calm working environment
Cons
Busy sale period
Next Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydenham7 August 2018
At next you are greeted by friendly staff and management which creates a good healthy working environment. the mix of younger and older staff allows for learning and entertainment
Pros
Good team building
Cons
It was ok as a temporary position
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes7 August 2018
I worked at next in my gap year before heading off to university. It was ok for a job that I knew was going to be temporary but I wouldn't have wanted to work there longer than I did. In the amount of time I worked there, almost all the sales consultants left which gives me the idea that it's not a long term job for most people. Some of the managers were lovely but equally some were awful if you didn't happen to be their favourite employee. Shifts were also occasionally given very last minute meaning that planning any social events in advance was nearly impossible. Customers were sometimes very rude but I guess that comes with any retail job. Sales day was awful to work, especially on boxing day. Overall, it was ok but certainly wasn't my ideal job
Pros
Seeing shifts online, picking up extra shifts was very easy, reasonably easy job, some of the staff were lovely
Cons
Pay wasn't great, favouritism with some managers, working at 4am/5am on sales day, working boxing day and Christmas eve, poor work/life balance
sales assistant
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 August 2018
Greeting customers who enter the shop.
Be involved in stock control and management.
Assisting shoppers to find the goods and products they are looking for.
Being responsible for processing cash and card payments.
Stocking shelves with merchandise.
Answering queries from customers.
Reporting discrepancies and problems to the supervisor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.